1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Dolphin/college QB watch... and all things saturday football day.

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by djphinfan, Oct 22, 2011.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Luck..Barkley..Jones..RG3..Weeden..R.Wilson..Tannehill.

Post your thoughts man..Were gonna need 1 of these guys on our team, maybe two if one happens to slip to the 2nd round..:wink2:

Lets talk college personnel...Rainy day in Portland oregon, the comfort of my hotel room, and the full espn package..

Mods, if this isn't the proper forum, move as you wish.

2. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Andrew Luck is a lock,but what isn't a lock is that we will be able to aquire him...I know Russell Wilson is short, but I really want to watch him tonight..Does he have some majic in him?.

We should be able to get an excellent look at Barkley tonight on the big stage..Is his size a real issue, is he that good, with his size limitations, to be worthy of the #1 pick if Luck didn't exist?.

Landry Jones..The release, it comes out lower in a slingin motion, his trajectory is kinda flat..not sold on that dude yet..

Here's the thing, and why I started this thread, if we happen not to get lucky, with the rest of the QB's available, I'am all in on selecting two with my first two picks, or two, one with my first pick, and moving up from the 2nd to select my 2nd qb if I need to...I'am not fu$#in around on this position this year, especially with the crop that we have to choose from, I mean if I don't get the best in Luck, then I'am thinking about securing two.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  3. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Man Sammy is good...clemson is loaded..

Would love our first two picks to be Luck and Dwayne Allen..

ToddsPhins likes this.
  4. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I love Weeden. I find myself constantly watching Oklahoma State just because of him. I just wish he wasn't 28 years old. He is by far the second best QB in the draft in my opinion, but will fall due to his age. I could see him in the 2nd round though, don't think he makes it into the 3rd round though barring any injury situations or finds by medical staffs.

Behind Weeden and Luck, I have Landry Jones. Yes, he plays in the spread but he is extremely accurate and makes smart decisions. I just like what I see with him a little more than Barkley.

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    well if Weeden drops because of his age, Would you dare to double up on the position..?

6. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    God damnit, why does Weeden have to be an old fart. He would be a nice consolation prize in the 1st round to Luck had he been 5 years younger.

7. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Depends on who we take with the 1st round pick. If we get Luck then no. If we take Barkley or Landry and he is sitting there in the 3rd round I would do it (unless there is a better prospect on the board), but I wouldn't go QB in round 1 and round 2.

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    yup, if we don't get Luck, then I think that doubling up on the position with this years crop would not be out of the realm of possibilities..Not sure Where Russell wilson is gonna be slotted, but he's the kind of player that makes me think about doubling up on the position if Luck cannot be landed.

9. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    RG3..Weeden..R.Wilson..Tanne hill
    As far as RG3, Russell Wilson and Tannehill here are my thoughts:
    1.) RG3 - I know his accuracy rating stands out, but if you look at his ball placement it could be better. He doesn't necessarily lead the wr as well as he could, and I have questions about his ability to fit the ball into tight areas in the NFL. Its hard to describe this, but I would say his accuracy can be attributed to his decision making, but his accuracy could be better as far as ball placement. I also don't know about the ability of his body to withstand a NFL pounding. Personally, I would shy away from RG3, but that is just me.
    2.) R. Wilson - He makes great decisions and is a good qb. But I don't see his skills translating to the nfl. He could be a solid back-up and i envision him being picked in the 4th to 5th round.
    3.) Tannehill- He can look oh so good at times, but other times you wonder if he is the same player. He seems pretty inconsistant to me but I believe he did convert from a WR to QB. I need to watch more on him though.

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Weinke was selected in the first, so prescedent has been set, except for the fact that he failed..He's damn good though...

Man if we get that first pick, I could only the imagine the offers.

11. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Wienke was not taking in the 1st. he was taken in the 4th or 5th round by carolina

12. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Landry Jones versus Andrew Luck

Oklahoma #3
    Stanford #8

Number of Nationally Ranked Teams on Schedule
    Oklahoma 5
    Stanford 2

Passing Yards to Date
    Jones: 2177 (+458)
    Luck: 1719

Comp/Att/%/TD/Int
    Jones: 171/253/ 67.6 / 16 / 6 (+42/+72/-3.7/-2/+3)
    Luck: 129/181/ 71.3 / 18 / 3

Avg Yards per Game
    Jones: 362.8 (+76.3)
    Luck: 286.5

Avg Yds per Comp
    Jones: 8.6
    Luck: 9.5 (+.9)

Sacks
    Jones: 2 (E)
    Luck: 2

QB Rating
    Jones: 156.0
    Luck: 180.6 (+24.6)

When discussing quarterbacks coming out in next year's NFL draft, I've stated in the past I believe Landry Jones will see success in the NFL before Andrew Luck does. While some will look at the numbers I posted and point to the overall QB Rating or the 3 less interceptions or the higher completion percentage, I look at the actual hard numbers themselves. 458 more yards total, 72 more pass attempts, 42 more completions, 76.3 more yards per game.

Andrew Luck is fortunate enough to be playing at Stanford. A school whose schedule favors Luck, with only 2 nationally ranked teams on their schedule, Oregon and Washinton State who just entered the top 25 last week. The competition he faces is medicore at best and doesn't provide him a challenge. Luck will face his stiffest test tonight when Stanford faces a antionally ranked team. It'll be interesting to see how his numbers hold up.

Landry Jones on the other hand plays in one of the more tougher conferences in the NCAA, The Big 12. Oklahoma has on their schedule, 5 nationally ranked teams (Florida State, Texas, Kansas State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State ), having already defeated #5 Florida State (23-13; 18/27, 199yds, 2Int) and #11 Texas (55-17; 31/50, 367yds, 3TD). With this tougher schedule, Jones has had more attempts, more completions, thrown for more yard, averaged more yards per game against tougher opponents.

Of equal importance are the programs both quarterbacks have played under. Under Bob Stoops, the Oklahoma Sooners have scored 29 offensive touchdowns (16 TD passes) as well as 10 defensive touchdowns. Stanford has had 34 offensive touchdowns (18 TD passes) and 8 defensive touchdowns. Oklahoma has had 13 more rushing touchdowns to passing touchdowns where Stanford has had 16 more rushing touchdowns to passing touchdowns. In effect, Jones is scoring more or Oklahoma's points and being called upon more to move the ball up and down the field than Luck is at Stanford.

Additionallly, Landry Jones has been the victor of 2 bowl games, as a sophomore in the 2009 Sun Bowl versus Stanford (31-27) passing for 418 yards and 3TD's...and as a junior in the 2010 (played January 2011) Fiesta Bowl versus Connecticut (48-20) passing for 429 yards, 3TD's and breaking the BCS losing streak by winning Oklahoma's first BCS Bowl game since 2002.

Bottom line, Landry Jones has been battle tested, Andrew Luck has not, but he will be tested tonight when Stanford travels north to play the #22 ranked Washington Huskies in a hostile environment against a team wanting to make a statement. If Luck has the same caliber performance against a hungry nationally ranked team that just broke into the top 25, then he'll add some legitimacy to those who question his potential future, namely me. But should Luck falter and struggle against their first real competition, then it's Landry Jones who, in the game against Florida State surpassed former Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford as the school's all time leading passer, that becomes the QB NFL teams jockeying for a QB to seriously consider.

Myself personally....if the Dolphins were to draft a QB in the first round of next year's draft, I want the QB that's endured the toughest schedule and has produced more yards against tougher opponents and has the most bowl game experience. To me, it's not Andrew Luck, it's Landry Jones.

But....that's just my opinion.

13. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Luck>Landry...thats my opinion and 99.9% of the experts

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That's a hell of an argument, and I appreciate the time you spent doing it...So if I told you if we had the #1 pick, and someone offered us 3 first round draft picks to trade down, and we could get those 3 first rounders and draft Landry you would be all about it?

15. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Here's a problem with that argument. Its not a number game in college. You could throw out a lot of numbers in college and they dont mean to much. Its everything else you have to look at. And Luck is here and Landry Jones isnt even close. Jones may play some tougher competition. But he also has a great supporting cast. He has more time to scan the field that most other QBs. While Luck has good time, he also does come under duress, reads defenses very quickly and gets the ball out, down the field. I dont have the same confidence in Jones doing that.

rafael likes this.
  16. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    In case we don't get the #1 pick I'll coin "Lose for Landry".

I like Jones but can't help but think Luck is better from watching him and just seeing him in interviews. He gives that Peyton "Football Nerd" vibe.

If you look at guys that are busts like Leaf, Russel, Matt Leinart, Grossman...they seem to be like the stereotypical "Dumb Jock" who wants to party first.

Really though both could become Franchise QBs. And maybe Griffin too. And we all know you can't win with just a QB, so whoever we get we'll also have to put the right players around them.

The_Dark_Knight likes this.
  17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Where is TP....his boys at clemson are putting on a show...

and by the way TP, I still think Dwayne Allen is a legit first round pick.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  18. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Appreciate the props on the effort I put in to that post. Lotta diggin to come up with all of that.

Short answer to your question....HELL YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!

I don't think anyone would argue Landry Jones isn't an exceptional quarterback. Sam Bradford was the Heisman winner and Jones passed his passing record earlier in the year against Florida state, so his abilities are definitely there. I thought some of my hyptheticals were far fetched :tongue: Getting 3 first round draft picks to trade down and still get Landry Jones? That's a head coach's wet dream!!! :lol:

19. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Well look at who Stanford plays Nappy. Jesus, if I was a collge QB playing against unranked teams that were about as good as high school kids, I could put up numbers too.

And what kind of competition do you think Luck would face in the NFL? You said it yourself, Jones plays against tougher competition...a level of competition that better prepares him for the level of competition in the NFL.

20. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    "Luck hasnt beaten the big boys in college"

That line of thinking sounds incredibly familiar now doesnt it? Who in the NFL does that remind you of? I think his name was Slaton Channing or something like that.

21. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Hey Deej. If Allen stays healthy I think he's a borderline late 1st/early 2nd rounder. Besides his obvious on the field talent, the guy is a MAJOR team player with an outstanding attitude and work ethic. During the Maryland game when Clemson was trailing 35-17 in the 3rd quarter, Dwayne was on the sideline pumping everyone up yelling something like "If we have to score 50 points to win this game, we're scoring points!". Then when Maryland went up 45-42 in the 4th qtr he was screaming "If we have to score 70 points to win this game, we're scoring 70 points!". Allen's the kind of leader we want on this team and should make a priority to draft b/c of it IMO.

22. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I was thinking the same thing about Landry. He worries me a bit. I'm not sold yet. And I'm not sold on Barkley being the answer either.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Iam glad washington is playing tough, just love watchin Luck compete..

24. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Luck threw a Touchdown pass from the Goal Line!

I wasn't sure if QB's were able to do that. I think I've seen Ronnie Brown do it once.

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    damn, stanfords line is so good, Luck hasn't had to do much in this game, the run game is ridiculous, ridiculous.

250 yards rushing...in the first half.

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Stanford just playing with the huskies, no competition..Luck havin a blast lining up wide in the wildcat..Cardinals over 300 yards rushing, Luck toying with their defense..Stanford is bad *** football team..can't wait to see how this BS bcs plays out..If that dude doesn't get a chance to compete in the biggest game, it should be enough to shut that scam down..

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Announcers proclaim that there is no chance Luck is going back to school.

28. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    ESPN says if Stanford holds it's 25+ point lead, it will be their 10th straight, which no team has ever done in the AP Poll era. Yes they play "easier" teams, but that is still incredibly difficult.

I almost don't want to watch Luck anymore, because if we don't get him I'll be that much more disappointed.

29. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    What if Luck finishes undefeated but doesn't get to play for a national championship? What if he plays for a title game but loses? Or what if he blows out a knee or shoulder during his bowl game?

Personally, I'd consider returning for a chance at a championship instead of going to an 0-16 or 1-15 NFL team, especially if that team has a serious question mark at GM, HC, OC, QB coach, fan base. The money will be there, especially if he takes out an insurance policy, but another shot at a national title won't. If you're a competitor, you play for the game, not the money, so I'd strongly consider one more year at a title shot over a broken NFL franchise in the middle of a rebuild. Plus he can still refuse to play for the team picking #1 if he does come out, and IMO there's a MASSIVE drop off between Luck and Barkley.

30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    absolutely on the dropoff...but if he goes undefeated and gets snubbed, then where is the hope to come back and play when you will get snubbed again by the computers.

31. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Then maybe he's an activist and decides to stay to help make a difference in NCAA football. :tongue2:

What better way to help change the BCS system than to have a guy like Luck <on a team like Stanford's> be snubbed from a national championship opportunity and then return for his senior year? He's too high profile to hypothetically screw him over a 2nd time.

32. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I find it sad how much you wish it happens so we can resign Henne in the offseason and roll with that bum.

33. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Barkley looked good tonight. He's still erratic at times, but I think guys like Luck and Weeden spoil us.

34. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Since the beginning of last season with NC State, keep watching Wilson thinking, this guy is 4 inches from being a superstar. Shame

35. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I thought I was the only who noticed that, lol.

Luck isn't returning, though. He said it himself. Our only worry is if he declines to play for us. That's why it is imperative we begin our off season with the right Front Office and coaching staff.

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    he doesn't want that, he wants Luck as bad as anyone, he's just protecting the image of the team, like we all should be, just in case.

Russell wilson is a great football player..Just brought the badgers back down two td's, in unbelievable fashion...

ToddsPhins likes this.
  37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I know damn it, and it pisses me off to no end, lol....damn his parents..

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    whatta you mean X?

39. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Cousins has looked good tonight.

40. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007