1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Official Dolphins v Lions Game Thread*

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Dec 25, 2010.

1. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Yeah a spot 5 yards ahead of where Marshall was. He was open and Henne missed it.

RGF likes this.
  2. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Who gives a damn about that! You want to complain about Marshall go right ahead. It does not change what Henne did...

3. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I don't know if Henne has much of an NFL future but I think it's possible he could be at least better than this with a real coaching staff.

NJFINSFAN1 and DHPVW like this.
  4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Of course Henne deserves some blame. If he stares down WRs as bad as so many fans make it out to be though, why would the majority of an OC's plays routes involve 6-10yd comebacks? And that doesn't even factor in a propensity for falling that our WRs have shown.

5. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It doesn't matter much with Henne. He's cheap, he'll stay at least as a backup. Enough talk about him. Who gives a ****, we need a better QB whether it's him improving or someone else. Draft a QB at least.

Stitches likes this.
  6. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Marshall was slow out of his deep break..... His route running is good but he just didn't get to where he had to be...... Like I said Marshall shook his head and knew he had to get to the corner deep but he just didn't.

7. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Yeah at worst Henne is a decent backup. Our real problem is at head coach.

DHPVW likes this.
  8. NFL2102

NFL2102 New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    How?

Henne tries throwing to receivers in stride like so many of you guys ***** about and when he does it the receiver stops, letting it go past him for an INT.

Yea thats so Henne's fault.

9. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Henne played decent for most part of the game, had two really nice throws, three really horrible ones (incidentally, one was the TD to Bess), but as soon as the crowd chanted "Henne sucks", he was done in Miami. You don't survive this.

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, who else is going to leave ESPN off for the next two weeks..raise your hand!

11. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm actually on your side.

I'm just sick of so many people talking about Henne as if he's the only problem with these plays. So it's easier to just join their side.

DHPVW likes this.
  12. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    thank god there is only one more loss to go....

13. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    First of all, no one here knows if Shuler's route was intended to continue or if he was intended to sit right where he stopped. So saying that the receiver stopped on his route is pure speculation. Second, even if Shuler was supposed to continue the route, you don't lead him the way Henne did with a DB sitting in the zone like that. But either way, it was the least of Henne's issues tonight.

gunn34 likes this.
  14. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC

He shook his head because the QB missed him. He wasn't slow to get out of anything, Marshall did a double move on the play to get open.

gunn34 likes this.
  15. Ozzy

The odds are in Stitches favor that they'll bring in one or two more Qb's because it has to be obvious that Henne is what he is, and that is not good enough to be in the top echelon of NFL Qb's. He could be a starter for a crappy team or a pretty damned good backup for us....

T. Nathan22 likes this.
  16. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

THANK YOU !!!!!!! I was going to post exactly that but I figured whats the point.

byroan likes this.
  17. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Not saying Henne isn't to blame on the play (don't know when the ball was thrown vs where Marshall was in the route), but I did think Marshall was slow coming out of the double move (and it may be a physical limitation, not that he wasn't trying).

Killerphins likes this.
  18. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Ya that's the point. If you have a dynamic offense that has to support your QB at some point you get a better QB to take advantage. You can easily do that. I guess why not get him now is the question to ask?

Jon Gruden? Eh, maybe.

I think Cowher is a better guy because you have some stability.

19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    For me, when I watched this one what stuck out to me was how much better the offense played with three adjustments:

-Incognito in for Berger, notice when they put Berger back into the game, Henne started being pressured more?
    -No Huddle/Shotgun formation, as long as they ran that Henne was ripping up the Lions
    -A threat from the Te down the seam, Shuler was having a good game today.

As for why we lost, quite simply all 3 units failed, ST/Defense/Offense, they all failed to do their jobs until the whistle blew, THAT does fall on Sparano, you could tell we missed Dansby but still..no way Best should score in 10 seconds

20. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Again, this staff coaches scared.

They coach not to lose, they don't coach to win.

I have fallen off the Sparano wagon, I hope that bump we hit when I fell off was henning!

muscle979 likes this.
  21. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That was unbelievable. You saw it on the first play of the second half. They went into Sparano mode. I don't think a great OC can change this. Sparano will still have his imprint on the team. It really is all about Cowher right now and perhaps Jon Gruden.

If not those two, I'm not sure who else you could try.

22. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

None of us are. But the reason we aren't is because we don't understand what's happening. I'll probably be playing College Football after my gap year and I coach a local team so I at least understand the play called. But by all means, disregard the fact that it was a design screen and harp on my comment in a petty manner. Good look for a moderator.

23. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yup, up until 2 weeks ago or so I fully supported Sparano. But the continuous playing not to lose has worn me down.

djphinfan and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  24. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    And he has refused to shift his philosophy despite repeated failures.

On a side note, I chalk Sparano's failures up to him being a Mets fan. :)

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  25. Ozzy

We can question something Sparano does in almost every game this year. In wins and losses. That tells a huge story.

Stitches likes this.
  26. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Petty manner? I asked you a question after you generalized some of the fans on the website because of what was said. This is a message board where opinions are made.

27. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Nice try though. Some fans who are unaware of the difference between a check down and a designed screen called the designed screen a check down. I said, there's a reason why they're fans and not NFL Personnel. You obviously got offended or empathized with them and felt the need to, rather than rebut, ask a question you clearly knew the answer to in an attempt to show me up.

Well considering you called him Captain Check down after it, you obviously felt a slight at you. But hey, if you can't see the difference between a Designed RB Screen and a Checkdown it's probably for the best that you're not NFL Personnel.

28. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Look no further than the `Brown up the middle play` on third and long to set up a field goal rather then be agressive and try to get a first. Its like Sparano thought a ten point lead would ice it.

29. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    If you watched that entire drive, you would see why I called him Captain Checkdown. The Lions played prevent defense but Henne kept dumping off passes to the backs.

In fact, if you have watched the entire season you would see that it isn't anything new to Henne. He doesn't take many chances down the field and throws a lot of passes short. I'm sure I'm not the first person that has called Henne, Captain Checkdown.

30. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

You understand that prevent defense takes away anything over the top. So you have to either throw it in the middle and kill clock, or work the sidelines. If there's nothing on the sides or the middle, what's the point? It's not like we have a WR that can get deep in a hurry. It's either throw to a back or Out of Bounds. Out of Bounds helps in no way.

DHPVW likes this.
  31. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Its a zone defense...

32. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    They play for the lead and hope they win.

We got to hear Henning complain about speed, but what about design to spring players open? I am sick of seeing the team get into the red zone yet fail to throw the ball over the goal line. At that point its not about speed but getting guys singled up so they can make plays. It doesn't happen.

33. Ozzy

Are you telling me or saying it was zone because it's Henne's weak link? I think it's pretty safe to say that no matter what it was not a smart throw.

34. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    The defender didn't drop deep enough so he was relatively close to where the play was going. Then when Bess starts to move into his zone, he naturally moves toward him.

The ball is on the way before Bess falls down. Nothing he can do there.

35. Ozzy

The defender did exactly what he was supposed to do. He even got rewarded for it...

36. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Nothing to be done, Henne threw the ball where he thought Bess would be but he fell and the defender got to the spot instead.