1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Florida Gators thread No 2

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by CrunchTime, Aug 15, 2011.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    LSU took the Gator game plan and physically beat the Gators with it.That must have really galled coach Champ .

With this OL imagine the problems Driskell would have had with his poor pocket presence .At least Murphy can feel the pressure coming and attempt to make a play out of nothing.

Easely was sorely missed during this game .He was at the heart of the run stuffing .His replacements were not up to the job.

2. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Jones is the seventh Gator to suffer a season-ending injury this season, joining wide receiver/kick returner Andre Debose (torn ACL), linebacker Matt Rolin (torn ACL), quarterback Jeff Driskel (broken leg), right tackle Chaz Green (torn labrum), defensive back Nick Washington (shoulder surgery) and defensive tackle Dominique Easley (torn ACL).
    Muschamp said it's the worst season of injuries he's encountered as a coach.

Bad Luck Gators this year.

3. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Some years there will be injuries. Honestly Georgia is going thru a pretty rough year. They have all kinds of injuries.

Florida still controls there own destiny and can still make a BCS game. This Saturday should tell us a lot.

4. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Just like last week, a lot will depend on our oline. I do expect a bounce back game from the D, especially with Mizzu missing their starting QB. However, we need to open a few holes and protect Murphy a little bit!

5. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Mizzou is really good at getting to the QB. It does worry me. What is really troublesome is the fact we always screw up screens and things of that nature. Also Matt Jones was the best RB picking up the blitz.

6. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I have a feeling for that very reason we are going to see Trey Burton line up in the backfield more this week. Just a gut feeling...

7. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I doubt that we see it more than once or twice. It hasn't been really effective this year. I am excited to see Kelvin Taylor get more carries this weekend. He looked good vs LSU in his limited snaps

8. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    He really did look good. Makes you wonder why we went away from him and back to Mack? I am not jumping off the ship like I have seen a lot of Gator fans do, but there are some troubling trends in the evaluation and coaching of our offensive players...

Skeet84 likes this.
  9. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    There are only 2 logical reasons we went back to Brown. 1. We just wanted to change tailbacks up like they already did with Jones and Brown or 2. They thought pass blocking would be a issue.

I couldn't agree more about the coaching staff evaluating offensive players. But to give Pease a break I heard the same things about Murphy when Weis was our Offensive Coordinator too. Also have to remember that we started not one but 2 true freshman over Murphy. That was very telling that we had little to no faith in him. So I give our current staff a break there. Every offensive position we have it seems like we struggle to develop the talent for some reason. It's not due to the recruits being poorly ranked. We have got a top recruit at every position.

10. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Wanted to post a quick note. Jarrad Davis will be one of the Captains vs Mizzou. You may not have heard of him before but he is a TRUE Freshman. I have never seen a true freshman captain. He plays LB but its special teams where he makes his mark. He was a 3 star guy that was committed to Auburn but the coaches loved him and really went after him hard. He committed and already making a name for himself. Just thought I would share

11. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    This offense is soooooo bad!

12. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kelvin Taylor looked good!!!!

13. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Muschamp has to be on the hot seat. Great defensive coach. Bad head coach. Charlie Strong should be a strong possibility.

14. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    At the very least, Pease has to be thinking he is a goner.

15. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I think Muschamp will get another year to be honest. He is a great defensive coach but there is no offense at Florida. It's very concerning that the offense has been really bad for three straight years now. The biggest problem is the offensive line. They just aren't bringing in ppl that fit or not developing them.

I don't know if Pease will get fired or not. Same for Tim Davis the offensive line coach.

I agree that Charlie Strong will be looked and given strong consideration. I would love to make a run at Bill O'brien. He seems like a great coach but I am guessing after he leaves Penn State he goes to the NFL.

16. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Charlie Strong would be the best fit. He knows what it takes to recruit the state of Florida. They might need to hire a guy like Strong to keep many of these recruits like Ermon Lane and Dalvin Cook. Whatever happens they need to find a way to keep Travaris Robinson on that staff.

17. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Strong would be a great fit but one of the worries has to be he is another Defensive coach like Muschamp. But I agree Strong would be a great recruiter. I personally don't care if they lose any recruits in a coaching change as long as they make the right hire. If the Gators changed coaches and kept T-Rob that would be amazing. He is the best recruiter on the team besides Muschamp

18. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    A complete meltdown.The only thing the team had to hang on to was its defense .Now that is in tatters .This team has lost confidence in itself and the coaching .If we get a repeat of this effort against Georgia the Bull Gators will want some heads to roll.There is nothing worse than being boring and bad.

On the other hand the Seminoles with their cupcake schedules finally look like they deserve the hype they have been undeservedly getting for so many years.And the Canes are looking good too.This will hurt state recruiting .

Charlie Strong would minimize that effect .Whomever the new coaching staff is going to be, they need to open up the offense.

Muschamps system depends on having stud OL and that has proven difficult to fulfill.Also there is no room for error in his offense and as we have seen the Gators are making plenty of those.The stupid penalties have been an issue ever since Champ has been the HC and they say penaties are a reflection of bad coaching.

So the conclusion we can come to is that this team has bad coaching.

Just when the only weapon they had going for them was Kelvin Taylor they go away from him and go back to the pityfull offense that hasnt worked , particularly the wildcat formation with Burton which has not worked in years and which practically assures a 5 yrd loss.Everyone knows he is not going to pass.:pity:

Whenever Missouri went into the pistol formation you knew it was going to be a run yet the Gator defense looked suprised every time and gave up huge yardage.Again bad coaching.

19. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Strong has shown he's at least competent about putting together an offense than can score points. Yes they have Teddy Bridgewater, but it's a good system, with good playcalling.

20. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    That was one of my biggest takeaways from that game. He was the only one making things happen for that offense and Muschamp refused to use him. How Mack Brown keeps getting equivalent carries at this point... Truly mind boggling. You get a darn good RB recruit and refuse to use him when he does the things that made you recruit him in the first place? More coaching like that and all those skill position recruits might start jumping ship. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the team start quitting on Muschamp. Florida had an elite defense. Yes they lost Easley, but looks to me like they really don't care at this point. It's inflating for a defense to play balls to the wall just for the offense to give the ball right back every possession. We've seen it from the Dolphins for ages now it seems.

21. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The real mind boggling part about the defense was how off all of our touted DBs were playing to their wrs. I know they are big and fast, but we are supposed to be great dbs. It was either horrible coaching, or the D is starting to give up on Muschamp.

22. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    It's called any defense being on the field that much is going to get tired. A lot of depth has suffered due to injuries or players not ready. Can't expect the defense to do everything. Offense is so bad it hurts the defense too

23. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I understand that, but they were playing off early in the game. So getting tired should not have been a factor, YET. ;)

24. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I thought the defense played well in the first half. Florida all year seems to be giving up the first drive of the game for a score. Offense has to do a better job of keeping defense off the field. Changing field position would also be nice.

25. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It is getting harder and harder to route for this team this year. I really wonder if Muschamp or Pease survive. Really looks like we will be an under 500 team and not make a bowl. I can not remember the last time we did not make a bowl is. I think the only chance Muschamp has is if he sacrifices Pease. Someone will have to take the fall for this abysmal team.

It is one thing to be a bad team. It is another to be a boring and bad team.

This season (esp lately) it seems every part of the team has regressed. Some of that is due to injury, but not sure all of it is...

CrunchTime likes this.
  26. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Injuries IMO are a very serious issue. This team hasn't been good all year tho. I am especially worried about the offense. At the beginning of the year I never saw anything that was an improvement over last year. Maybe it's Brent Pease or maybe it's not but fact of the matter is he may be done after this year. Tim Davis the offensive line coach should be fired if Pease loses his job as well. Just haven't seen enough improvement or decent play from any of the offense.

27. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    No I am not discounting injuries, but my point was kind of like yours... even in the beginning of the year I don't think the offense played any better than last year. Defense, I think they are just getting fed up of the offense not doing their part. Thus, kind of mailing it in.

I am not sure how they keep Pease at this point. His offense has been HORRIBLE. In hindsight, not sure he should have ever been hired for the job. His only OC exp was one year at a system that was already in place with a Senior QB that was pretty close to automatic. I mean really when you are ranked worse than 105 in the nation at a major program that gets high quality recruits, you are not doing your job.

28. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Almost every coach needs to be fired.

29. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Worse than Michigan vs App St???

Close

30. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Much worse, that was embarrassing. The Gators paid Georgia State 555k to show up and roll over them, instead got rolled over themselves.

31. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Embarrasing stuff is right.A lot of negative records have been broken this year.Even the year they went winless was better because you could see the progress and they at least were fun to watch.

There are stories coming out of fights in the lockeroom at halftime,players being suspended .You can bet we will see some transfers and recruiting losses as a consequence of this mess.
    Hopefully they turn over the whole coaching staff over by next year although it looks like Champ will get another year at least.

The injury excuse does not cut it with me .

32. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Florida already lost their best recruit in Cook. JC Jackson is about to decommit as well. I'm not sure how Muschamp survives this.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

33. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    The most important recruit out of this class is Will Grier period. He may not end up being the best player in this class but he is the most important. He isn't going any where.

JC Jackson and Dalvin Cook only ones thinking of going else where as of now. Class is still going to be really good.

34. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    At least the Gators just beat the Seminoles in basketball. Going to be a long day tomorrow

35. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Fsu too tough for anyone.

36. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Go Noles!

muscle979 likes this.
  37. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Florida flipped WR Ryan Sousa. He had been previously committed to FSU. He is a life long Gator fan and really close with Joker.

It looks like Muschamp may now wanna go with a more up tempo offense that passes more.

Oboy likes this.
  38. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Looks like Florida will indeed be going to a more up tempo spread offense.

39. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Looks like Will Muschamp knows who he wants to hire. However Gators are waiting til after Bowl.

Oboy likes this.