1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Florida Gators thread No 2

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by CrunchTime, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That's the thing, according to the article our D was actually pretty good. I am not sure I believe it was that good. We know we were undersized up front and got pushed around running the ball. I am not sure. The more I read the more optimistic I get, but I am trying to hold my excitement in control. Have a feeling it will be at least one more year before we start really competing at the highest level again.

2. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Does anyone currently go to UF or live in the Gainesville area? I just made a thread in the lounge and then thought to post here lol.

3. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I believe
    finsincebirth
    is a student there at the present time.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  4. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I am. I graduated two weeks ago, but should still be here one more year while I finish my masters. That is if the graduate school ever gets off their *** and gives me a decision.

5. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Look at the FSU game. The defense owned them, and almost all their points came off of turnovers.

Oboy likes this.
  6. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    This is nothing new but since our football program is in the rebuilding stage we can take pride in this award.
    http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20120520/ARTICLES/120529975/1136/gatorsfootball

7. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Just signed up for the student lottery!!! Can't wait to go to some games!

8. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Congrats to the Florida Gators on Winning the National title in Outdoor Track and Field (Without Jeff Demps I might add) and the Womans tennis team for there National title.

Gators also won the Indoor Track and field title earlier this year.

Gators could also be in line to win there 2nd straight Capital One Cup depending on how the CWS plays out. The Only team I believe can beat the Gators is UCLA if they have a top finish and the Gators get eliminated early.

http://www.capitalonecup.com/standings

Oboy likes this.
  9. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
  10. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Demps' addition to the roster increases the total number of Gators competing at the 2012 Olympic Games to 37. In addition, two current Gator head coaches (Gregg Troy - USA Men's Swimming Head Coach; Mike Holloway - USA Men's Track & Field Assistant Coach) and one Gator listed as an alternate (Melanie Booth, Canada's soccer team) are in London for the Olympic Games.

11. Get Up And Go

Get Up And Go New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I can't wait for Gator football!

Skeet84 likes this.
  12. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Muschamp on fire recruiting.

CrunchTime likes this.
  13. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    He is definitely on a roll on the recruiting trail.On paper our DBs look like they will be among the best in the NCAA.
    But the offensive recruiting is lagging somewhat behind particularly in the WR and RB groups.

14. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Hate to be the pessimist, but our Defense is already pretty darn good and pretty young. We NEED some wr's!

I am anxious to see how they perform in the new offense. Just HOPE they are better than last year.

15. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    One name to watch this year is freshman Latroy Pittman. All reports coming out of campus is that he as been extremely impressive.

Oboy likes this.
  16. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Report from Pat Dooley says Brissett will be the starting QB for the Gators

Oboy likes this.
  17. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Perhaps Driskell can play a Tebow type role as a red zone QB .He has impressive running skills.

Oboy likes this.
  18. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Wow, interesting. Kind of hoped he had already made a decision on who the starter is. Just hope Driskel does not transfer now that he lost the battle.

19. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Personally I always thought Brissett was a better QB even when they were high school players. I am sure they will find Driskel playing time this year. I do expect Driskel to transfer after this year if Brissett is successful in the starting role. He would be able to transfer and redshirt and have 2 yrs remaining.

Look for the Gators to target a high profile QB next year in recruiting.

20. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

I believe they will do that however I know that is also the plan with Trey Burton. Let's also not forget that Brissett is a serious athlete and can run when needed.

21. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Ok, here's the question. What kind of record do you guys predict this year? Going over the schedule I can see anywhere from 2 to 5 losses depending on lucky/unlucky breaks through out the season.

22. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    It may be optimistic but I am guessing 9-3 with losses coming as LSU,Georgia,SCarolina .Its a pretty easy schedule compared to SEC standards.

23. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    It's really hard to tell how good we will be. The Offense does not have a proven QB (I am very hopeful), proven running back, or any proven WR's. We brought in a new Offensive Coordinator who has a fairly complex offense with a lot of shifting and movement. Brent Peases said it took Moore a couple of seasons to learn it. I honestly don't have high expectations for our offense. I have hope tho. Offensive line looks to be the strength on offense. Defense I have no worries about and think they will be a improved group over last years good group.

Crunch I disagree. Facing Texas A&M and Mizzou won't be an easy task. Mizzou's spread offense should be a test for the Gators. We also play Florida State who is obviously going to be a very tough game. I also think the Tennessee Vols game is going to be tougher than most ppl think. They feature IMO the best QB in the conference and have gotten better. I see 6 losses at worst and at best 1 loss going into SEC title game.

24. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    You may be right but I am figuring that those two newcomers may have trouble adjusting to the SEC.They dont play much defense in the conferences they came from.Also FSU may be overated again and we will play them at the end of the season when the players will be aclimated to the new offense.

25. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    2 days from Game DAY! Hard not to be excited this time of year. Here's to hoping we do not have the big let down like last season.

26. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    So the plan for quarterbacks is to play each QB a quarter and then decide a full starter after halftime. Let the Doug Johnson/Jesse Palmer Era Part Two begin. Also if any of you guys make it to Gainesville this year please let me know. We will most likely be tailgating for all the games and would love to show some Gainesville hospitality.

27. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Wow that was a bit disappointing. Team was unprepared and undisciplined.

Really disappointed in the defense. Missed ALOT of tackles! Plus just seemed more like a prevent defense than an attacking d.

Offense did show some promise, but still needs work.

May be a long year...

28. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    My biggest problem was the lack of aggression. From EVERYONE! Coaches were not attacking on o nor d. Players seemed passive as well-which caused a lot of the missed tackles,imo

29. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    http://www.gatorzone.com/harry/blog/1016

Wow, the team has ZERO excuse not to be fired up for Saturday now!!!!! Wow, serious cajones by A&M - or just shows they have absolutely NO fear of us. Come on Gators, lets welcome them to the SEC the right way! With a smack down!!!!!!

CrunchTime likes this.
  30. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Driskel has officially been named the starter.

31. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    It got hairy there in the first half but that was a great adjustment by the coaches the second half.
    The depth of the team was the difference IMO .We just kept plugging in players without much of a dropoff .
    Driskel has a long way to go but he is making progress.

32. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    For his first start on the road in a real hostile environment, I thought Driskel played ok. He had some moments where he looked real good and some moments where he looked like a deer in headlights. The one thing that was really bugging me was that he rolled away from pressure numerous times, but instead of throwing the ball away he'd run out of bounds for like a 2-4 yard loss.

I thought the biggest thing to note about the game was the Defense. Or LACK there of in the first half, but then they came to play in the second. IF they can play like they did in the second for the whole year... We will be IN every game and win quite a few of them.

33. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Well the defense took a major hit yesterday. Jenkins had thumb surgery and out at least a month. Riggs has a broken foot and the same time table to return. Also Powell had a set back in his recovery and will be redshirted.

34. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Granted, but the only one of those that played in the second half on Saturday was Riggs. Jenkins was out in the first and Powell has been out all year. So our D can still play that way... IMO, this week will be the first real test for our secondary.

35. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    As good as Jelani Jenkins is we will be ok with super freshman Antonio Morrison who has impressed everyone.And most importantly Mike Gillislee will be able to play too.The backups to him are unproven .There may be some dropoff in the defensive backfield but not too much I hope.

Oboy likes this.
  36. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Antonio Morrison will play in the NFL. That guy is going to be special. The last 3 freshman that I saw play at such a high level were Percy Harvin, Joe Haden, and Janoris Jenkins.

The defensive adjustments were really the key to the entire game. Great work by our coaching staff who literally had zero tape and had no idea on what to expect.

Driskel drove me crazy Saturday when he was running out of bounds and taking losses instead of simply throwing the ball away. I have to say that's got to be a coaching issue tho. Easily correctable but still. There was one point in the first half where we could have easily gone for it on 4th down if not for him running out of bounds for a minus 5 yard run out of bounds.

This week is going to be a polar opposite from last week. Last week we played a team who was all about running and short passes with a very mobile inexperienced QB. This week we have to play a team that will try to establish the run but look to attack us deep with a good passing game. They have a a experienced Pocket passer. I actually think Bray is the best QB in the SEC. Guy has a ton of skills. Our defense actually dominated last year and is much improved this year. Hopefully we can answer the call on offense.

Oboy likes this.
  37. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Good to see ya Skeet.

I totally agree with both. Everytime Driskel ran out of bounds part of me was pissed. The other part just remembered it was his first ROAD START. So willing to give him that. Other inexperienced qbs may have tried to force the ball and ended up with a pic. So I'll take the loss instead of a turnover any day.

I think this week will tell us if our D is going to be special or just ok. If we can dominate UT or at least control them like the 2nd half at A&M, we could have a top 5 D nationally. Which would be good considering our offense has not really taken off yet. ;)

Skeet84 likes this.
  38. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I don't understand the play calling at the goal line towards the end of the half. We have been weakest all year running up the gut yet we try three times and get stuffed each time. Just seems like we should have attacked the edge or rolled Driskel out and give him a pass run option. Even put Burton back in there in the wildcat. Driskel looks sooo much better this week it's crazy. Hopefully we come back in the 2nd half

39. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    There were some headscratching plays and frustrating penalties but the offense really looked explosive in the second half and the defense came up big when it mattered .

Driskel was outstanding and he is making quantum leaps in improvement from game to game.I think we will give LSU all they can handle.

If its close at the end of that game the Gators will fight it out until the end .There is no quit in this team.

Sturgis could pull that game out for us.He is a real weapon

Skeet84 likes this.
  40. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    what a big win for the Gators! Driskel made some HUGE plays.
    That being said, still not looking the oline play near the

end zone. The improvements in the offense are encouraging and exciting. Plus our d adjustments at half are unreal. Just wish they could game plan like that for the beginning of the game!

Just excited that we are improving!

Skeet84 likes this.