1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Florida Gators Thread

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Motion, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007

No doubt.He is going to be another weapon in the spread offense ......better and more versatile than Rutledge.:hi5:

When Rutledge was in the game the oppononts always knew it was going to be a run.Now they wont be so sure as Henandez is a great pass catcher.

2. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
  3. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    I agree.I doubt he will be a first day pick.I guess he figures one National Championship is enough.

Remember he was thinking of transferring when he realized he wasnt going to get a chance at playing QB so I dont think its a surprise that he is coming out.

Losing Harvey will hurt more IMO.

4. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Yeesh. I never would have guessed CI would go early before the end of the season. The thought never even crossed my mind. I've assumed all year that Harvey was done after '07, but not CI. I'm not even sure how he'll fit in the NFL. He's never been used as a traditional TE since he's always played in the spread. I honestly can't comment on his blocking because I don't know how good or bad it is. I do know that even the smaller TE's in the NFL are in the 250 range. CI is listed at 6-4 230. His combine results will be awfully interesting. I'm not sure about this decision unless he tears up his speed and agility tests.

5. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    [​IMG]

6. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Good pick up by the Gators. Robey is a good player.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071218/SPORTS11/71218020

All the turmoil surrounding Louisville's football team certainly helped.

A sports talk radio show here in Louisville had him on a few minutes ago. He said UF is going to switch him to center because they have 1 senior center and then no other center behind him. He may or may not redshirt. It depends on how he develops between now and July 1st when he reports.

7. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Nice, thanks for the info.

8. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Crazy to think all 3 of our Heisman QBs are sons of preachers. :)

9. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    That's very interesting because I was under the impression that Michael Pouncey could be moving back to Center next year. I guess he's staying on the DL. That's a good thing IMO. Pouncey's emergence was a major boost for the defense at the end of the year.

10. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    I forgot all about that with Spurrier

11. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
  12. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
  13. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Good read Motion.

14. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    That is an Urban media plant...he will be a tackle. He is also the "backup" plan in case the Gator do not get Patchen, which I think they will. Urban is infamous for his "positioning", because he does not want MP to get any bad vibes. He has already told MP from what I have read that he is the only tackle they were recruiting......yeah...right......Urby....

I know Gator fans are on the Urban new hire, NC, Tebow high. but I would be careful to jump too much on that bandwagon. Meyer has and is burning a lot of bridges with coaches in Florida and particularly SFL. I saw it with the Canes when Coker could not recruit locally and had to go national, and went into the crapper. You cannot compete at an elite level without getting the top local prospects. Couple 8-5, 7-6 seasons and the luster is off that NC and Urban's zipper.....

Meyer is more and more gaining a rep as a a say anything, do anything recruiter that is losing more and more credibility with his negative recruiting and the more his BS get's exposed. HE IS burning a lot of bridges in S. Florida with negative recruiting. To the point that coaches are talking about it...... The quote from the MNW kids regarding Doc Holliday and UM reg: trouble in CG and Pork and Beans project is one example, using Sean Taylor's death as an example of "the lack of safety in Miami" and my personal fave in Meat Market, his quote to Javon Snead..."we are recruiting Tim Tebow as a Linebacker"....It is what it is .... BUT he does get players, got to give him that

15. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    :hmmm: Michael Pouncey was a Center. Or are you talking about him as a DT?

That's all news to me. I don't keep up with too much detail on recruiting, so I can't really comment on this. If it's true, I'm not even sure how much it deviates from other coaches tactics. Not questioning you, I just don't know.

16. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I don't think it is a lot different than anywhere else. For example, Miles used the same ST tactic on Arthur Brown and then 2 days later 2 kids on LSU campus were murdered...and for someone like UM to forget about the Denny Rolling incident for the advantage of Football recruting is not very classy but that is JMHO.

it happens everywhere, and the negative recruiting and bad environment usually leads to a kid making a poor decision. Face it all these kids being recruited now maybe 1% play in the NFL but 100% or close will enter the business world.

I do think the kids with the info available and communications available are getting wiser to the negative stuff. I would love to see the negative stuff stop but CF is BIG business, so it will not happen in my lifetime.

It is what it is..............................not that we have to like it.........

17. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    PS...get the book Meat Market if you like CF.....great book

18. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Thanks for the head's up. I've heard of that book before, but forgot about it. Looks pretty cool.

19. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

I also remeber you saying that Matt grothe was better than Tebow. :lol:

20. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Pouncey should move back to OL (Center) becuase our Dline will be much better next year with more depth. Also Robey as already stated that he wishes to redshirt next year to get bigger and stronger

21. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Jermaine Cunningham will play in the Capitol one bowl and it looks like charges againist him will be dropped.

Riley Cooper will miss Bowl game

linebacker Ryan Stamper and long snapper James Smith will also play fullback in the bowl game

22. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Sweet news about Cunningham. It sounded like he was acting like a jerk, but not exactly criminal.

What's up with Coop?

:confused2: I REALLY like Stamper at LB. I hope this only temporary.

RE Pouncey going to back to the OL: I'm not taking anything for granted with our DL. They were very poor against the run this year until Pouncey came in. If we've got a good Center for next year, I hope he stays on the DL. That area is a much bigger question mark going into next season.

23. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    Cooper's broken finger is still a problem.

I'm kinda wondering if Urban Meyer will make sure that CI has a big game.......

And who is Case Daniels? :glare: Did you factor in Tebow's play while injuried?

24. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Yeah Coop's finger is really hurting him.

Cunningham apprently did nothing wrong and that is coming from the victim. He said that former Jon Demps did it all and Jermaine just watched.

DL will be much better. Alot of these freshman have not had strength and conditioning outside of high school. plus we get john brown next year

25. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Looks like Meyer is still p.o.'d at Cunningham. He's not letting him receive the gift package that everyone on the team gets from the bow. It's something like a $400 Best Buy gift card, and some other apparel stuff.

26. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    We also have one of the top JC DTs in the nation coming in. His name is Epps and should make an immediate impact. He and Moore, the #1 JC WR, are both starting classes in the spring and will be involved in spring practice.

finswin56 likes this.
  27. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Nice! I can't keep up with all that stuff, but I'm glad you guys do.
    We had a pretty good JUCO transfer play defense for us recently ;)

28. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Epps is from the same JC that Nelson came from. :)

29. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Yeah the two JC guys both signed there letter of intent already too

30. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The game is at 1 right?

31. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Yep, 1pm EST on ABC right before the Rose Bowl.

:thumbup:

32. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    I can't remember the article I read it in, but Casey is applying for a medical redshirt for this season. Hopefully he can come back next year. It was odd to see him not be involved at all this year when he had realized some success previously.

No link for this either, just reporting what was said on ESPN today: Meyer told reporters that he would be back to a two QB system next year, like we had in '06. Not clear yet whether it would be Cam or Brantley.

33. LikeUntoGod

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    That story was in the Gainesville paper. Casey will get another year, If CI has a big game he might jump to the NFL.

And I think Meyer was hoping that Cam Newton could fill the role Tebow did last year. He wanted him in this year doing some of the running that Tebow had to do this year.

But Newton has had a bad ankle and was not able to play until the end of the year.

34. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Whats up with the recruiting this year ? No 16 in most scout services.I see that the UF is on the list of many of the top recruits but we need some more commits .

The UM and FSU appear to be top 5 at his stage.

35. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Banned

Dec 17, 2007
    Harrisburg, PA
    I don't think Florida has a lot of scholly's this year, but they did get Will Hill, and are finalists for Darrell Scott aka Adrian Peterson v 2.0 (though IMO he'll go to CU)

Oh and good luck against us in the Bowl, not that you need it, most Michigan fans(including me) expect Tebow to smack us

36. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Oh he will, no need to worry about that.

37. LikeUntoGod

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    There is a interesting thing that happened in both football and basketball for the Gators. That being that they have "too many" spots full. In basketball they are right now going to be short one spot next year unless someone leaves.

So i do not see it as much as the football team did not have a great year, it's more of that they could not take that many kids anyway. And I think some players are running away from having to compete for a starting job with teh gators.

38. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Michigan Defense Underestimates Tebow

These quotes were from the Gainesville on Monday before the game. I find them particularly funny, and if Michigan really believes this then they are in for a world of hurt.

"He's good, but it's not like he's better than what we've been seening" said DE Tim Jamison. "I think the guys we've seen trying to tackle him take bad angles and that makes him look like a power guy>"

"I think y'all are too concerned with this Tebow, I mean, he's just a quarterback. He's reall not different. He's got some freakish stats because they use him differently, they use him in the red zone a lot to run the ball but he's nothing more exceptional than we've ever played against.

"if you ask me about dennis Dixon or you as me about Vince Young, I'd be like, now those are some freakish people. You ask me about this guy, he's just a quarterback."

That beauty of a quote is from linebacker Shawn Crable.

I know you're not supposed to show you're admiration of the guy, but as the writer Pat Dooley suggests, it sounds more like "False Bravado". We shall see.

39. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    Let's go Gators!

40. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    :lol: Nice stuff Steve. How you doing man?

It seems to me that the UM staff has been spending a lot of time making sure their guys aren't intimidated. For their sake, I hope they spent as much time scheming against the spread option. This reminds me of being in Little League and our team was going to play against a pitcher who threw a curve ball. Our coaches would try to convince us that the ball didn't really curve, and that it was all an optical illusion. Tebow's not really a strong runner guys. I mean just ask Laron Landry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.