1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Florida Gators Thread

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Motion, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Wow, the Michigan defense is in for a rude awakening.

Almost game time, the end of the Caldwell era is upon us. :(

Can't wait to see Aaron Hernandez more involved.

Go Gators!

2. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    Thanks Derek

I just sent Joe a PM asking him what time the game was. I didn't know and my daughter's teacher is a HUGE Wolverines fan. Of course, I'm rooting for the Gators! :up:

3. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Banned

Dec 17, 2007
    Harrisburg, PA
    trust me, most Michigan fans think the defense acted like a bunch of idiots with those quotes. Almost none of us think we'll win, and most are just excited for the offseason to begin since Rich Rod is bringing a new S&C program to Michigan

4. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    looks like they were awake :)

5. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Well this sucks, too bad so many of our lineman were hurt.

Congrats Michigan.

We'll kick *** next year though

Oh and Jake Long doubters should STFU, he dominated today

6. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007

If Gholston was lined up vs Long that'd be a different story.

7. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Well that was pathetic.

Defense was a no show today.

Those last two offensive possessions were straight up ugly. Having a legit RB threat next season is gonna do wonders for this offense.

8. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Sorry about your loss.I must say it was an entertaining game none the less.

9. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    I posted my observations in the game thread, but I'll put them here so as to achieve a complete venting :angry::cursing:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  10. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
  11. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    We'll see bro. I've seen enough talking from them. Not even a week ago we were reading how they've played too many games to be considered a young defense anymore, only to come out and play like they've never seen D1 football.
    The way the defense played, the way the regressed, I have to wonder how they handled to time off. I know Tebow handled that time off well, I'm not so sure about everyone else though.

BTW, what I forgot to write yesterday was Tebow needed to play a little like Vince Young did for Texas. Tebow has done a great job this year of staying in the pocket and taking the hits in order to get the pass off. What he barely did was take off and run when the protection broke down. I don't know if that's a pocket presence thing he needs to work on, or just stubbornness that it's a pass play and he's going to pass the dang thing. I really don't care about NFL scouts and all that. I just want UF to win, and I know if Tebow would have taken off during those heavy blitzes, UM would have tempered their aggressiveness.

12. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Yeah I hear ya bro. That performance has definitely tempered my excitement for next season. I hope they get things straightened out before then.

13. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Think Meyer ripped into them?

14. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    The gators just couldnt handle the speed of the Big Ten.

15. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Really bad idea to go into the Gator thread just to talk trash. Don't do it again.

16. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Fins...this is sort of like a family having an argument like on the other thread......we can argue amongst our Florida selves...but don't any Yankees talk trash to us Florida boys!!!!!!!..and last time I checked Gainesville is Still in Florida

17. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    :lol:

That and there happens to be three staff members that frequent this thread, and smack is against the TOS ;)

18. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    The smack talk rule goes for Gator fans too

19. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    OK then

20. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007

:nono:

21. Cuban Dave 9

Cuban Dave 9 Lane Kiffin = A-Clown

Jan 4, 2008
    South Miami/Coral Gables
    Um...yeah...Gators lost cause I had no website to talk about them

22. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
  23. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    I don't blame Harvey for a second.
    I really don't get Ingram's decision.

24. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    as a Buckeye fan living in central florida, its was unbearable getting harrassed all year about how the Big Ten wasn't as fast as the SEC. After seeing Florida beat my team in two major NCAA championships last season, I think a small dose of revenge wont hurt anyone. I dont hold hard feeling against anyone here for liking the Gators, or for bad mouthing Ohio State. I just think college sports are great for friendly banter between fans. No ill will intended.

As for the game itself, I expected Michigan to get destroyed. But they were very well prepared and really caused a lot of problems for Florida on key downs. Good luck to Florida next season, they are still my third favorite team. Auburn being second.

25. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Much better post.
    Thank you :ffic:

26. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    if Michigan played like that 4 weeks ago, OSU would have 2 losses.

27. DBoston80

DBoston80 Banned

Jan 4, 2008
    Yeah, Henne looked like the Henne I thought he would be as a senior..but that defense was on fire, a guy in Tebow's face every snap! I was happy for ole Lloyd Carr getting carried off the field... Big ten and Sec is tied at 1-1 heads up with the biggest of them all looming..

28. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W

You were banned from Finheaven because you can't behave and you are banned from here as well.

29. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Motion, and all Gators...great grab on Matt Patchen..just announced Florida....thought we could steal one from Gator country because he was UM legacy...guess not.

Good grab and much needed by Meyer to keep Gator country.....

30. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Yeah we needed him.

31. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Patchen was a must.The recruiting season has been slow for the Gators so far.

A lot of players have Florida on their list but few commits.Maybe they will start to roll in now.

I think PJ will sign with LSU

32. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I think PJ is LSU all the way now.....can you say investigation?

I agree Patchen was a must for the Gators. It also puts a little more pressure on Miami to land Ben Jones, who has more upside than Patchen but is no where near as polished right now. UM is a little light on OL but they have recruited that position well the last couple years. Harlan Gunn out of Kansas was last years Patchen and now will be playing as a RS Freshman.

I was involved in a long thread regarding Meyer and the cracks are starting to become more public in that program, and also Meyers flaws. It was Imperative IMHO he get Patchen. MP was a Cane legacy but was in the middle of Gator Country. Meyer is 1(Deonte) for South Florida (at least Cane Country) the last couple years with the exception. Shannon has gone and gotten Benjamin, Regis, Calhoun and Buchanan from schools that you would NEVER would have expected to get someone from the Gators. He has also somehow managed to go into Nole territory and pull out CJ Holton. He also reeled in AB and Taylor Cook on a national level. Anyone that thought they could go into Jax and get Tebow or Pahokee and get JJ, or Lakland and get the Pounceys or STA and get Wright were kidding themselves...that is Gator Country for a long time now, and will continue to be.

The next couple years the talent level looks to be far superior in SFLA and the Tallahassee schools (Lincoln in particular,,,a Nole minor league club) than typical Gator Country at the HS level. If Shannon can continue to keep SFLA kids at home then the future looks very bright indeed. Meyer has yet not been able to make inroads in SFLA and in fact he and Doc have hurt the chances of making any inroads in the future.

I am not starting another bash UF thread, I do not have the energy today. Shannon has had a great recruiting class. My point is Meyer has been OK because their has been some exceptional talent in Gator Country the last couple years and SFLA has been only good...and UM lost out to schools like Auburn, LSU and WV on some of the exceptional talent in SFLA. Gator classes it was pointed out to me have in fact been rated very high, biut were overloaded with skill players and also there was no real catch other than DT from FSU or Cane Country. When Coker and Bowden slipped a few years ago UF put together their NC team with a few pulls (and one big one with Harvin) and great talent was kept at home from Gator Country. Those dynamics are changing and Meyer has been unable to land the Pull recruit like Shannon has with AB, TB and CJH. Everyone knew the U was getting Forston like every knew the Gators would get Tebow. Percy Harvin from Virginia Beach was a pull from VT, and is the only real catch...a great one at that.

Bottom line no real point just some random thoughts and not interested in getting into a Gaor/Cane/Nole ***** session, and a good grab on Patchen and much needed...just pointing out another reason why I see some cracks in the Gator program...that and 9-4 with some beat down of the defense.......

finswin56 likes this.
  33. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Thanks for pointing out some of that stuff. Some guys here may have already known most of it, but as I've said before, I don't follow recruiting nearly close enough to see that stuff.

I think you could be selling Meyer a bit short on his "pulls". Just off the top of my head, Justin Trattou (NJ) , Aaron Hernandez (CT), and Carlos Dunlap (SC) were some really nice signings last year.

EDIT: Found more pulls now that I look at the roster. I believe all of these guys were at least 4 star guys on Scout. Maybe I'm not grasping what a "pull" is?

Joe Haden MD
    Cameron Newton Ga
    Jerimy Finch IN
    Major Wright Miramar (another sfl guy, who was a major land for us)
    Duke Lemmens CA
    Jermaine Cunningham NY
    Brandon Spikes NC

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  34. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Actually Harvin was down to Florida and USC. He and Vidal Hazelton were the top dogs of the WR crop that year and alot of people thought they would stick together. However they split and Harvin came to Florida and Hazelton went to USC.

35. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Trattou was a pull from ND. I kinda define a "pull" as someone that is from a traditional factory school like Lincoln is to FSU and Lakeland is to UF. MNW is a UM school..a lot of kids from MNE go to UM. Major Wright was a St. Thomas Aquinas grad, which is definetly not a UM school, nore UF traditional than any other state school. The biggest surprise this year for me was that Travis Benjamin went to UM,,,his HS coach was a Gator grad and the school is very traditionally UF. Janiour Jenkins was never going to happen as much as UM fans wanted to believe.

One thing that I did not mention is that coming off a NC and a Hiesman QB is going to give you an instant advantage in recruiting "nationally". That was a major bump and UF took advantage, but it is surprising that UM was able to go in and get some guys from Gator Country this year and you would think the UF class would be in the top 3 rankings with all the built in advantages of NC, Hiesman winner, stronger than usual traditional feeder schools, etc...

It is fun to look at give our opinions but the bottom line is these kids have to be coached up almost to a man...HS to Major college is a major leap. Also these kids have to perform, UM had the top QB in the country (Kyle Wright) and he can't complete a pass to whore on a troop train. They also had the top QB in the SW (Kirby Freeman) and he ended up at best as one of the worst QB's in UM history.

The ranking system you value sways our opinions because most of time we have not seen these kids other than highlight reels on You Tube. also the "highest rated class" talk depends on how these information sources rate players. For instance UM will have a great class this year.....BUT....they also will sign 33 players(8 early entrees that go against 07 class and 25 that count to 08 class)...UF may only sign 25 or so. That is a lot of extra "stars" in the rating system. Florida last year had a large class with good quality but they had Newton, Waggener, and Brantley as QB's (lots of "stars)....sort of like UM has Cannon Smith, Jacory Harris and Taylor Cook this year....sorry but last time I checked you only play with 1 football....so IMHO both UF's class last year and UM's class this year will be ovrvalued when you look at a "star" system...they both got good players but I see some real cracks in UF recruiting when you look at it from the 40,000 foot view.

Also you can get a kid like John Jones at UF last year that gets knocked down for some reason or Zach Kane at UM this year...both these kids have huge upsides that will at a minimum help you tremendously on ST's. UM has not had the luxury of taking these kids the last few years, last year that had a OL named Tyler Horn that broke his leg and was not highly recruited as a senior...he also grew 3 inches and put on 60 pounds as a senior....UM has traditionally been able to identify these sleeper kids...Coker could not. Horn has developed and will most likely be a starting RT next year, and has a huge upside.

Anyway rambling but we have to look at the big picture and not be "star whore's" when evaluating classes. UM went from one of the best classes of all time (with PJ and Patchen) to "just a class that comes along every 10-15 years, as Matt Patchen admitted....UF will continue to do pretty well in Gator Country, but there are some things I would be concerned about in the big picture coupled with the things I posted in the other thread which I am not interested in continuing ...zaps my energy and Gator fans will not believe it anyway......:)

CrunchTime and finswin56 like this.
  36. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I understand that and my bad with referring to him as a VT pull but Virginia Beach is Virginia Tech Country...very hard to pull kids from that area with any consistancy.

37. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Good stuff :up:
    Seems I wasn't grasping that whole "pull" thing :lol:

38. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Well said Brotha.

Who is Patchen?

39. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Big time Oline recruit who picked UF over UM even though his dad went there.

40. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    FYI.............

Supposedly CI is having second thoughts about declaring for the draft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.