1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Florida Gators Thread

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Motion, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Going from OK State to Florida is not a lateral move. I am sorry.

Themole likes this.
  2. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    He wont be an assistant at OS after this year .He is being sought after by several big time programs and he may land a HC job too.But it probably would be too big a jump to HC at Florida I agree.

3. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Aperantly Pitt is making a push for him

4. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Pitt would probably be about the right level for him

5. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Rumor from ESPN Insider

Tom Dienhart of Yahoo! Sports tweets: "The more people I talk to, the more I think Florida won't hire anyone with connections to Urban Meyer." Interesting. That would eliminate three strong candidates: former Meyer assistants Dan Mullen (Mississippi State), Kyle Whittingham (Utah) and Charlie Strong (Louisville).

Those two items would appear to back this potentially big news from GatorCountry at 9:51 p.m. on Thursday night: More than one source tells the site that Boise State's Chris Petersen could be the Gators coach by Wednesday. If this happens, it would appear to be a home-run hire, but don't overlook the lack of success of Boise's two previous coaches

6. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    It was also said that Urban's offense wouldn't work in the SEC, Crunch. It DID surprise me. Tebow had a lot to do with that.

Peterson's, offense seems to be more balanced than the Spread Option, relying more on a strong running game and vertical passing attack, supported by a nasty defense.

I'm excited!!!

CrunchTime likes this.
  7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Chris Peterson's play calling is fantastic. One of the minds I truly enjoy watching. His offense is very simplistic and sometimes unorthodox. They run quite a bit of weak side runs, which is not uncommon but its not something that is frequently seen. He also uses his backs in space well, which I like, and his passing game is not complex. He does a lot of motioning to see how the defense reacts and then he audibles. It's why when he goes to football clinics he doesn't speak much about his offense. Its just full of concepts that are used and called at the line. He really does a nice job simplifying the reads for quarterbacks.

Some of Peterson's staff members have ties to Percy Harvin, who they coached in HS.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Peterson reminds me of Belichick on defense in some ways, honestly. The way he can break down a players strengths and weaknesses and put them in position to make plays based off the strengths is what reminds me of Belichick. Also, the way they design plays. You have to spend countless hours game planning for them because they don't always show the same thing. Something you saw last week may be irrelevant this week.

9. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    It's Muschamp

Themole likes this.
  10. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Good hire.

Themole likes this.
  11. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Like the hire. Just curious who will be the OC. That and want adazzio fired

12. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Dan henning?

13. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Looking for the positives he is a good recruiter and he was Saban's top choice to be his assistant coach when he coached the Dolphins .So he has some pro experience .

However I want to see who he brings in as assistant coaches before saying its a good choice.

He mentioned he may retain some existing coaches and I dont particularly like that angle especially if Adazzio is retained........in any capacity.

14. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    He's a Gator at heart. He lived in Gainesville for ten years. He moved to Rome Ga. with his parents before he finished high school and considered joining the Gators as a walk on.

Went on to play for Ga. Has a very solid resume. Also coached under Sabin as Assistant Head Coach over Linebackers for our Phins before leaving after one year in that capacity.

I think it's a great hire.

CrunchTime likes this.
  15. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    It will be intresting to see what offensive system would be installed if Adazzio is fired. Would we stick with the speread or go back to a pro-style offense?

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Just pray that he doesn't bring Greg Davis along.

17. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kirby Smart will leave Alabama and be the DC for the Gators

Major Applewhite looks to be the OC but this may change

Themole likes this.
  18. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Like Smart... the more I read about Applewhite, the more I am not impressed. In fact, somewhat concerned about that guy. I would REALLY like a different OC.

19. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.

Keep on coming with the hits, Skeet84. Things are really looking up for next year and the years to come.:up:

20. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    The UT boards don't seem to share your concerns, at least the ones I've been reading. What are you reading that concerns you?

I think a little sour grapes are beginning to set in in Austin.

21. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    I definitely like this development.

I am wiggy on the Applewhite possibility .I dont see much of winning trajectory with him .......but I dont know enough about him to make that criticism.

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If you get Smart and Applewhite, that rounds out a helluva staff.

23. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I don't get why Smart would leave....isn't it basically a lateral move?

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah I think so.

25. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Unless, he can't handle Saban anymore.....

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Maybe but its the same thing at UF with Muschamp. Muschamp is a Saban guy and is a very, very fiery guy.

27. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Only thing I would worry about is Muschamp and Smart clashing over defenses called. Muschamp will probably want some input and hopefully that doesn't go wrong.

28. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I believe Smart and Muschamp are close friends. They played on the same Georgia team, so that could be a factor into why Smart would move laterally.

29. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
  30. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
  31. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I am just very intrigued about the offensive coordinator. Defense is Muschamp's baby either way and I think he'll have his fingers pretty deep in it.

32. Texphinphan

Texphinphan Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    What is the story on UF DC last year, Teryl Austin? Strong rumor is that he will be UT's newest coordinator.
    Re: Applewhite, I really hope he does not got to UF and stays at UT. Tremendous recruiter. He acquitted himself well as OC at Rice and Alabama at a very young age. I think he has huge upside. And he obviously has a place in all Longhorn fans' hearts based upon his QB career here.

CrunchTime likes this.
  33. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    I was a hoping a Texas fan would give us his opinion.

Teryl Austin replaced a Gator favorite Charlie Strong.The Gator defense was always close to the top while he was the DC.

It may be coincidental but the defense was not up to standards under Austin.Its not all his fault as the leaders on that defense all went to the pros .But it wasnt due to lack of talent .The Gators have had three back to back top 10 recruiting years.He just couldnt mold them into an effective unit.

Part of his problem could have been that he was not getting proper direction from Meyer.

Here is more.He has NFL experience.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teryl_Austin

Texphinphan likes this.
  34. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
  35. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Look at what Strong's defense did the year Tebow won the Heisman. It was horrible and sad to watch. We lost almost every game that year due to our defense. Was that Strongs fault? No the players were young and needed game time. They all learned the hard way. Remember Knowshon Moreno running all over our defense that year too. Was Strong trash? No. Austin got a defense that was very young and not alot of game expirence and when you have a offense that had as many three and outs as we did I really don't know what you expect us to do. We lost sooo much talent to the NFL the prior year what did you guys to expect? Not all highly touted recruits pan out the way you think. I don't blame Austin at all. He just had a tough year with young players and a pathetic offense.

Texphinphan likes this.
  36. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Ok guys this is really just funny to me. Muschamp is going to be making 2.7 mil per year for the next 5 yrs according to his contract, But he was offered a job last year to make 300,000 thousand dollars more per year.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...stories/011410dnspomuschamppost.73989790.html

Just thought that was a little fun fact and thought I would share

37. Texphinphan

Nov 25, 2007
    I think what that shows is that Muschamp was very much the head coach in waiting for the UT job and that it was not just about the $. He wanted the Texas gig. No offense to Tenn, but he probably felt that the difference between the 2 UTs was great enough that he would risk the sure thing and wait for Mack Brown to retire. The Florida program is a completely different matter. Also, the rumblings down here ( and by rumblings I mean rank internet speculation) was that Mack planned on riding into the sunset with the MNC against Alabama and handing reins over to Muschamp. When that did not happen, Mack plans changed and decided to stay on. Then in light of the most recent horror show of a season, Mack not going anywhere. All of the sudden the Head coach in waiting thing did not look so good.

Finally, if I was Muschamp, I would have some concern about being "Jason Garretted" ie you are the presumptive head coach until things go wrong. Then you have to try out for the gig.

Going to UF for Muschamp was a no brainer. Premier program. He is an SEC guy. Family from the area. Bird in hand.
    I think he is going to be VERY successful for you guys. Boom@!

Texphinphan

CrunchTime and Themole like this.
  38. Texphinphan

Nov 25, 2007
    Also just another tidbit on the Muschamp-Applewhite -UF thing. It is being reported that Mack asked Muschamp not to take Applewhite with him so that Applewhite could help shore up recruiting. (He is on the road now. Current reports are that UT is holding its recruiting class. We will see). I suspect that unless Muschamp offers the OC job to Applewhite, he won't take him to UF....this year....out of respect for Mack. Next year? All bets are off.

39. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
  40. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I am confused. Wasn't that the rumor? Meaning he was going to offer the OC job? Your terminology is just confusing me. So you think he does offer the OC job or he does not?

I think that there is no way he finds some one year guy and then offers it next year. I don't think he waits a year (basically throwing away his first year at UF). IMO, he either does offer the job to Applewhite or he has someone else he is interested in offering the job to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.