Official Florida Gators Thread

2304 repliesLocked

Skeet84Skeet84New Member
Jan 15, 2009, 12:29 PM

The Sentinel has learned that as of late this morning, Harvin is still consulting with football staff members about his future plans. Some coaches -- including his position coach, wide receivers coach/recruiting coordinator Billy Gonzales -- have simply been out of town until now. Whether he's already made up his mind and simply plans to inform him of his decision, I don't know. But the feeling around the team is that Harvin and linebacker Brandon Spikes realize there's the chance for something special if they return.

The two have until midnight to declare for the draft.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/

Thats why there is no news

Get Up And GoGet Up And GoNew Member
Jan 15, 2009, 12:31 PM

"Motion wrote:

It's official...........Spikes is staying!!!!

:woot:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3835065

:yahoo:

MotionMotionNew Member
Jan 15, 2009, 12:45 PM

Harvin is gone.

Per ESPN(tv)

Good Luck Percy, thanks for all the great memories!

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Jan 15, 2009, 12:51 PM

"Motion wrote:

Harvin is gone.

Per ESPN(tv)

Good Luck Percy, thanks for all the great memories!

:no:

well 2 outta 3 isnt bad.....so cool to see spikes and tebow sticking together!

Big EBig ENew Member
Jan 15, 2009, 12:57 PM

Even with Harvin gone you guys still return your whole D and still have a dominant rush.

MotionMotionNew Member
Jan 15, 2009, 01:05 PM

"enforcerfin33 wrote:

Even with Harvin gone you guys still return your whole D and still have a dominant rush.

:yes: Out of the 3 I think losing Percy has the smallest effect on the team. Not taking anything away from him, he's a great great player but Tebow and Spikes are the unquestioned leaders of the offense and defense. We have plenty of weapons on offense to replace Percy, we were always better on offense when we spread the ball around anyway.

MrtreeMrtreeForum Veteran
Jan 15, 2009, 01:12 PM

"Motion wrote:

:yes: Out of the 3 I think losing Percy has the smallest effect on the team. Not taking anything away from him, he's a great great player but Tebow and Spikes are the unquestioned leaders of the offense and defense. We have plenty of weapons on offense to replace Percy, we were always better on offense when we spread the ball around anyway.

I dunno. I find Harvin to be more important than Spikes. Harvin gives a defense fits. Tebow was awarded the offensive MVP for the Championship game, but the award should have gone to Harvin. We have scads of fast guys, but none as elusive as Percy.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Jan 15, 2009, 01:15 PM

I don't think we can replace Harvin but I think we have enough offensive talent that should be maturing to still field one of the best offenses in the country. I also think that we should have one of the best defenses in the country next season (I'd just like to see a little more consistent DL pressure).

my 2 centsmy 2 centsForum Veteran
Jan 15, 2009, 01:32 PM

"rafael wrote:

I don't think we can replace Harvin but I think we have enough offensive talent that should be maturing to still field one of the best offenses in the country. I also think that we should have one of the best defenses in the country next season (I'd just like to see a little more consistent DL pressure).

Don't forget that they will probably open with one of the softest schedules in the nation that will give them time to mature (Troy, Charleston Southern, and FIU....are you kidding me....nope....). Their freshmen will see the field early at the skill positions IMO...Richardson and Debose are Harvin type players although neither are Percy Harvin...IMO I would look to those two guys more than Rainey and Demps who both seem to have long speed but neither are tremdously elesuive IMO...great, fast, 1 cut game breaking runners but neither have the elusiveness, creativity, and ability to totally mess up a schemed defense of Harvin..and both go down pretty easy when someone gets hands on them.

Part of what has made UF so great...other than the best CFB player I have seen since Herschel(Tebow BTW)...is that they had not 1 but 2 players that could break down a scheme, so you had to somehow, someway build a scheme of limiting (cannot stop totally) 2 guys that have very different talents...Tebow and Harvin...now until someone else steps forward teams can scheme Tebow...so that should in effect keep their margin of victory against that schedule at about an average of 40........IMHO



OboyOboyLuxury Box
Jan 15, 2009, 01:39 PM

Losing Harvin will definitely hurt. Hopefully, one of the guys steps up and fills his shoes.

Skeet84Skeet84New Member
Jan 15, 2009, 01:43 PM

Harvin needed to leave. I think he will be a top 15 pick in the NFL draft. With his injury history it was the smart choice. I wish him the best. He better stay out of the AFC East unless he is a Phin

finattic79finattic79Forum Veteran
Jan 15, 2009, 08:42 PM

"Skeet84 wrote:

Harvin needed to leave. I think he will be a top 15 pick in the NFL draft. With his injury history it was the smart choice. I wish him the best. He better stay out of the AFC East unless he is a Phin

As much as I hate not having him back next year, it was probaly the right choice for him. He can't risk coming back next year and continue to possibly injury that leg again. Good luck to him in the NFL :up:

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Jan 15, 2009, 09:40 PM

I would guess that Harvin will put up incredible numbers at the combine. If he does that then he should be a top 15 pick.

Skeet84Skeet84New Member
Jan 16, 2009, 06:05 AM

"rafael wrote:

I would guess that Harvin will put up incredible numbers at the combine. If he does that then he should be a top 15 pick.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think he will blow people away with his speed

my 2 centsmy 2 centsForum Veteran
Jan 16, 2009, 10:42 AM

"Skeet84 wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking. I think he will blow people away with his speed

Remember that teams are picking 1 guy in round 1 and a top 15 pick better be a sure thing in your opinion. Harvin displays top 10 play making ability, but there are questions....he is not very durable, where are you going to play him and despite his great open field and playmaking ability he is a bit of a project. His best bet IMHO is a team with multilpe 1's & 2's, or a team that is open to moving him around to create opportunities for him to have the ball in his hand. He is also a liability as a blocker when in the backfield, and never faced NFL big corners, so you have to have at least some questions whether he can play outside. In the middle of the field inside the hashes as a slot guy he is dynamic, but is that worth a top 15 pick as he develops as an outside reciever? How much can he help the return game....maybe someone falls in love with him and he can and is a game changer when healthy...again...great player, but there are questions so I personally would not lock him in as a top 15 guy...possible not a given.



OboyOboyLuxury Box
Jan 16, 2009, 10:46 AM

Is anyone else getting the fear Percy drops to NE and Bellicheat grabs him up?

Skeet84Skeet84New Member
Jan 16, 2009, 10:58 AM

"my 2 cents wrote:

Remember that teams are picking 1 guy in round 1 and a top 15 pick better be a sure thing in your opinion. Harvin displays top 10 play making ability, but there are questions....he is not very durable, where are you going to play him and despite his great open field and playmaking ability he is a bit of a project. His best bet IMHO is a team with multilpe 1's & 2's, or a team that is open to moving him around to create opportunities for him to have the ball in his hand. He is also a liability as a blocker when in the backfield, and never faced NFL big corners, so you have to have at least some questions whether he can play outside. In the middle of the field inside the hashes as a slot guy he is dynamic, but is that worth a top 15 pick as he develops as an outside reciever? How much can he help the return game....maybe someone falls in love with him and he can and is a game changer when healthy...again...great player, but there are questions so I personally would not lock him in as a top 15 guy...possible not a given.

I don't agree with this post. Percy will play WR in the NFL period. He only played RB at Florida so Urban Meyer could get the ball in his hands. I know that Percy can run block and as he plays WR should not be asked to pass block. He did have some injuries, but I wonder how many people really fear that? I mean most of his problems came from his heel which he had surgery on to correct it (They had to take part of the bone out). I think he will wow alot of people in the combine and someone will take a chance early. Besides alot of people coming back does not hurt him either.

"Oboy wrote:

Is anyone else getting the fear Percy drops to NE and Bellicheat grabs him up?

I am more afraid of the Jets myself. Him with the Pats is just scary because I know they will use him the right way. I would love to see him with the Fins or Colts

my 2 centsmy 2 centsForum Veteran
Jan 16, 2009, 11:07 AM

"Skeet84 wrote:

I don't agree with this post. Percy will play WR in the NFL period. He only played RB at Florida so Urban Meyer could get the ball in his hands. I know that Percy can run block and as he plays WR should not be asked to pass block. He did have some injuries, but I wonder how many people really fear that? I mean most of his problems came from his heel which he had surgery on to correct it (They had to take part of the bone out). I think he will wow a lot of people in the combine and someone will take a chance early.

He very well could and some teams might feel exactly as you do Skeet. If he answers their questions and checks out medically and they feel he is not the project that I personally do then he certainly could go top 15 ...all I am saying is that he is not a no questions, hands down top 15 guy...someone will have to believe in him and be OK with his injury history.

As for RB, I agree he is not a RB in the NFL, but he brings a bit of Brian Westbrook in him and a team could use him in the backfield in certain situations, but he would be a liabilty if he had to play RB in the passing game.



Skeet84Skeet84New Member
Jan 16, 2009, 01:00 PM

"my 2 cents wrote:

He very well could and some teams might feel exactly as you do Skeet. If he answers their questions and checks out medically and they feel he is not the project that I personally do then he certainly could go top 15 ...all I am saying is that he is not a no questions, hands down top 15 guy...someone will have to believe in him and be OK with his injury history.

As for RB, I agree he is not a RB in the NFL, but he brings a bit of Brian Westbrook in him and a team could use him in the backfield in certain situations, but he would be a liabilty if he had to play RB in the passing game.

I believe when healthy he is top 15 without a doubt. It just depends on how many scouts actually believe he can stay healthy

MotionMotionNew Member
Jan 16, 2009, 03:53 PM

my 2 centsmy 2 centsForum Veteran
Jan 16, 2009, 05:05 PM

"Skeet84 wrote:

I believe when healthy he is top 15 without a doubt. It just depends on how many scouts actually believe he can stay healthy

I agree with that.



Skeet84Skeet84New Member
Jan 19, 2009, 10:51 AM

Gator fans it looks good for Tim Tebow getting drafted in the First round.

9. I think you can write this in stone: Tim Tebow will not get past the end of the first round in the 2010 draft. I've talked to too many people around the league who love him. "He will not get past us in the first round whenever he comes out, I can guarantee you that,'' said the coach of one of the 12 playoff teams. "I don't know where he'll play right away, but I do know that he will play starting opening day, somewhere.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/01/19/superbowl/4.html

Skeet84Skeet84New Member
Jan 19, 2009, 10:59 AM

Rainey said he injured his groin during last year’s track season, and played the entire 2008 football season with the injury.

Quarterback Tim Tebow, meanwhile, proved to an O’Connell Center crowd that his right shoulder will be OK. Tebow had bone spurs removed on Monday.

“If you’re worried about my shoulder next year, don’t be,” Tebow said at a celebration of the Gators’ national championship during halftime of the basketball game against Arkansas. Tebow then took off his sling and waived it around for the crowd.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/ufblog/entries/2009/01/17/groin_surgery_for_chris_rainey.html

Jan 19, 2009, 11:57 AM

"Oboy wrote:

Is anyone else getting the fear Percy drops to NE and Bellicheat grabs him up?

They have Moss and Welker no need for a no 1 guy.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.

CrunchTimeCrunchTimeRetired Admin
Jan 19, 2009, 12:17 PM

Actually due to his injury history Harvin may drop down to our pick in the first round but I dont think this regime will pick him .I think the Titans could really use him .They lack speed at skill positions IMO

This thread is locked.