1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Liverpool FC Thread @ The Phins

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Paul 13, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007

finattic79 likes this.
  2. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    one of my favorites

finattic79 likes this.
  3. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    This one too...

finattic79 likes this.
  4. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

finattic79 likes this.
  5. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    and the capper...

finattic79 likes this.
  6. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

7. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Total Joy!

Really makes up for losing the EPL - but even that season was so great that the CL title actually makes the fight the team made the last 10 games or so in the EPL a pretty sweet season.

I mean, which year would you rather have, Man City or Liverpool? I'll take Liverpool any day because it was just a more exciting team to watch, imo. Loved this crazy parade.

I teared up again watching the photos and videos of the parade.

finattic79 and Paul 13 like this.
  8. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

finattic79 and Da 'Fins like this.
  9. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

10. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    From Paris down to Turkey (and over to Madrid)...

11. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    This is just the start... greatness is not measured on one season, it's measured over time. We can't continue at this level without adding depth IMO. We were somewhat fortunate with injuries this year. And then the Barcelona game saw both Firmino and Salah out and we ended up doing that. My fear is that the brass see that as proof that we already have the depth. That night was magic. That is not a normal occurrence. That is not something you can expect over the course of time.

Leaving, Sturridge and Moreno. Maybe leaving? Mignolet... Lallana? Not big losses but certainly depth losses. I said it last offseason and I'll repeat it, we need another pacey player to backup Mane/Salah. We need a Firmino clone. We need another left back for depth. We could use another young centre back. We need a backup GK (Bogdan is out too... :shifty:). I'm probably okay with the midfielders because you have some young depth there ready perhaps in Woodburn and Jones (I suppose Ben is more of a forward). Want to see Rhiann Brewster in the summer too. Need to see it and then determine his path for 2019/2020. A decent player from what I've seen in his England national stints. Can he take that next step now that he's back healthy? And does Divock stay? Hope so!

EDIT... it's hard to add quality experienced depth because top players don't want to come here to be a backup. Should not go unmentioned.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  12. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Beautiful moment. Not just an ordinary hug. You can really see the love there. Blessings to you Paul!

And thanks for sharing all the other videos on the songs. So great.

Paul 13 likes this.
  13. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    We have come a long way in four years hah!

finattic79 likes this.
  14. finattic79

finattic79 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Absolutely Divock stays, they are already working on a contract extension. I agree with ya that we mainly need a LB and quality backup for Mane/Salah. I honestly don't think there is anyone right now that can play Firmino's role in football that wouldn't cost us an arm and leg. Outside of LB, the backline is in solid position I think and doesn't need anymore backups. I pray they don't sell Lovern until we are sure Gomez can stay healthy for a full season (I know the leg break was a freak accident). Same with our midfielders, Lallana is working hard to work his way back into the starting 11, he cut short holiday to start training again. Most of the guys have been playing football for nearly 12 months so the youngsters should see some quality time during the preseason matches. I'm really interested to see what Wilson does after a successful loan with Derby this past season. Don't forget that Markovic had a hell of a season with Hertha to. I think Woodburn will prolly go out on loan after being recalled early in Jan this year.

PS- I miss not having football to love forward to each week lol..... already getting the withdrawls. At least I got the Women's World Cup to watch.

Paul 13 likes this.
  15. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Fixtures for 2019-20 are out! Woohoo!

Hard to believe they are starting friendlies July 11. Man. That's not much time off after the June 1 CL win. I'd rest the top 11-15 those early games. Maybe give them an extra week or so off?

Also, I used to go to BBC Sports for club info (and still do for articles and reports) but hate the way they show fixtures and results. I like this system much better (though I'm not a fan in general of ESPN's PL coverage).

https://www.espn.com/soccer/team/fixtures/_/id/364?src=com

finattic79 and Paul 13 like this.
  16. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Da 'Fins likes this.
  17. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Another great couple of vids from the club

Da 'Fins likes this.
  18. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    So I checked on this whole Coutinho back to LFC thing... an "inside source" and he said he doubts that it happens. It's been sprinkled around in the media. I don't think it'll happen either. To me it just seems like a step back and at the time that he went to Barca I would have never thought I'd not want him coming back again. And that really speaks to the brilliant job that Klopp has done. BTW, can anyone here play keeper? I hear LFC is looking for one to fill out the roster for the time being while Alisson is on leave (:lol:).

Da 'Fins and finattic79 like this.
  19. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Unfortunate that Alisson went down. Hopefully it won't be too long! That would be a terrible start to the year.

But, otherwise, you couldn't script a better opening (aside from the Norwich own goal) - with goals, in order, by Salah, Van Dyke, and Origi. If Firminho and Mane would have scored on those several chances in the 2nd half it would have been total perfection!

Love this team and love the Premier league so much.

Btw, you guys should check out this episode on the new Football series on Amazon. The first one is all about Rwanda and Liverpool. It's phenomenal stuff and traces the Rwandan genocide and the attempt to bring healing to the country with a great deal about how football has helped to bring that healing. Very moving hour.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07TCRJZ6V/ref=atv_hm_hom_1_c_iEgOEZ_2_1

finattic79 likes this.
  20. finattic79

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Yea the Ali injury is worrying, since it can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months. Adrian look good on the distribution though. Klopp mentioned in the post game interview that it was the calf, so hopefully we'll get some good news. Kinda sucks we just let Migs go, but can't predict this type of injury. I was slightly worried about the backline the first 20-30 minutes and then for the goal.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  21. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I was really worried that it's an Achilles. He talked about how thought someone kicked him from behind as he went to kick the ball. That is similar to what Marino said when he ruptured his. So 4 to 8 weeks apparently. Hoping it's closer to 4. Injuries happen. It's better to have it now then in say December/January when there's a high concentration of games. If he can make it back for the 9/22 @ Chelsea match, he'd only be missing 4 PL games. And that's what 6 weeks? I'll take that.

As for the game itself, it was certainly a convincing performance. The hangover of last season is not lingering. The back line did have a poor start comparatively speaking. I think back lines are like offensive lines in american football. They take a little time to jell at full speed. There's no question Joe Gomez is going to be an improvement over Matip, let's just hope he can stay healthy this year. The energy level was good for the whole game. Even the second half was solid considering the game was well decided at half time.

I know I'll be spending more time watching and caring about LFC than our Dolphins this season. I'll still watch Miami games, and I'll probably get DTV again, but i'm really just not excited about the season. For LFC, I think it'll come down to staying healthy and then hopefully challenging Man City again for all the hardware. The league is the main goal. But I'd like to see us do some damage in the Domestic Cups as well. That's going to depend on our depth, which should be better than last season with all these guys coming back (ox, Lallana, Gomez etc).

Da 'Fins likes this.
  22. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    BTW, the CL draw is 8/29, with the first set of group stage games being played on 9/17 and 9/18

Da 'Fins likes this.
  23. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I'm hiding in here until 2019 Dolphins season is over. LFC are so good. I mean there couldn't be two more opposites in sports right now other than these two teams. never gonna stop....

Da 'Fins likes this.
  24. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Great start of the season so far!

Gotta love Man City losing to Norwich City - and what a story they are with Pukki! lol. Great to see for that town. But every loss and tie by Man City is huge given how close last year was and how they and LFC are head and shoulders, barring injury #knockonwood, better than any of the other teams in the EPL.

Big start tomorrow in the UCL!

Go Reds!!!

Paul 13 likes this.
  25. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    So Napoli played great and it was a pretty equal game.

Nevertheless, Liverpool got completely jobbed by the officials. Man. That Referee let all sorts of crap go.

But worst of all was the penalty called on Robertson. The Napoli player literally dragged his leg and then jumped into Robertson to make it look like a penalty. He's literally starting his dive before being touched. This video was right on TV.

What on earth is VAR for if they are going to continue to make horrific decisions? That's the very kind of bad decision that VAR should fix!

Paul 13 likes this.
  26. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Tough week. Liverpool really need some depth on defense at Centre back and wing to give some guys rest. Injuries hurt.

I also think they could use another attacking forward for depth (unless they put lallana there). I’d like to see just one of the big 3 play this game today and maybe sub in for him at 60 minutes.

we need all these guys rested and in top health for the Man City game Sunday.

I think the Man city match will be huge. If LFC win it could really propel them. If they lose, Man City will have all the momentum. Not having Matip for that will hurt. Also disappointed that Gomez has taken a step back this year after so much promise last year.

27. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Great win over Man City! That goal by Salah with the two great crosses from Alexander-Arnold and Robertson was so glorious. Raised my arms for about two minutes!

Also, while I do think there was a handball that could have been called on TAA, had he let it go and Man City scored, technically, it would have been disallowed b/c of the handball on the Man City player (Bernardo Silva I think it was?) as the rule, as I've seen it applied, any goal that results even from an inadvertent hand ball in the box by the offense is disallowed. So I don't get why people are making such a big deal about it. In fact, to be consistent with the rule, they should also make a rule that no PK can result if the offense also has a touch in the box.