1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Liverpool FC Thread @ The Phins

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Paul 13, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Crazy that Alisson's goal didn't matter in the end. We would have finished in the top four anyway. But really, what a coaching job by Klopp and the staff. And to end the season with this run of victories? That comes down to class, mentally to go along with the physical. Drawing on all that experience of the last few years. Some great momentum heading into next season now.

What changes will be made? Look forward to adding some addition flavor to the attaching front. And of course, getting healthy on the back end.

If you had told me before the season that we'd finish 3rd I'd be pretty disappointed with that. So we must not lose sight of the big picture. This is more than just a top four team. The goal is City and the top of the league. So hopefully we won't be content with third after that run expecting things to carry thru to next season as is. There's got to be some additions. But you don't have to go crazy. Another player like Jota. Perhaps a true #9 (as Origi will be leaving). Keep building and keep giving Klopp options.

Ox
    Shaq
    Keita
    Jones

have they earned a free pass into next season? Because with Gini leaving and Milner not getting any younger, two out of these fourare likely to be needed to play LOTS of minutes next season. Hendo and Fabs are going to be regulars, Thiago as well. But they'll need to be supplemented. One thing this season has shown that should not be forgotten, got to have depth to keep that consistency of winning. For a top side. Must have the depth. That's where we need to focus this offseason. Both inside and out.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  2. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Really amazed Liverpool made it in the top 4. What a job by Klopp given all the injuries.

I was disappointed that Leicester did not win their last game. I wanted Chelsea to bomb out of the CL. Oh well.

Gotta like this young signing from RB Leipzig, Ibrahima Konate. 6’4. What a paring he could become with Van Dijk. Has to stay healthy but he has potential to shore up what has been a revolving door of players who haven’t been consistent. Not a fan of Gomez. Game seems too big for him. Konate has the potential to really be a great complement and fill what has, imo, been the weakest spot on the starting 11.

His talent in the air, at 6’4, is really impressive. Wins a high %. That will be an asset at both ends. The Reds have missed having a big threat on corners this year - except that great Allison corner. But with some of the best corner servers in the EPL in Robertson and TAA, that could be huge.

I am pumped about him. Hopefully he can stay healthy and become the main starter alongside Virgil.

Not sure what to do with Mane. He has to change his attitude. Jota showed good form and Mane had flashes but was not nearly as consistent as in the past.

I really can’t wait until August to see Thiago Alcântara and Fabinho have a full season together with the front 3 ... I like what we have there.

Paul 13 likes this.
  3. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Yeah, i don't know how much you keep up on Twitter with the rumors/knowledge dropped by the likes of James Pearce etc. Supposedly, we won't be adding much after Konate. he says we will be looking to sell first before adding anyone else. Now those last two sentences may seem contradictory but if you understand LFC's MO with respect to spending, you'll likely understand. This is not to say they are a cheap squad and don't spend, more so that they only spend on the right player at the right time. Alisson... VVD are classic examples of that.

I'm actually looking forward to doing a full squad review/preview like I've done in the past in this thread. Going to be hard to see Gini leave. I really felt he was one of the most underrated players on the team.

You mentioned you're not a fan of Gomez. I actually like him, just felt he was a bit inconsistent at times. His speed though is perfect for the high line we like to play. I reckon Gomez is the fastest player on the team. Faster than Mo Salah. I'd like to see who wins in a straight line race between him and Kyle Walker.

Ugh speaking of City... I don't know who to root for tomorrow during the UCL final. City vs Chelsea. It's like picking between the Jets and the Pats or Bills. I prefer to think that one of them will lose, and I'll have plenty of joy in reveling in their defeat. :lol:

Da 'Fins likes this.
  4. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I kne they were more frugal and calculated. Seems like they brought the Red Sox / Theo Epstein approach to Liverpool with some modification.

Yeah, hate losing Wijnaldum. Loved his all around ability and stabilizing force in the midfield. Such an underrated value.

Perhaps Gomez will become a more consistent player. I hope so. Although Konate also is known to have excellent speed, quickness, passing ability and strong in the air, as one would expect from a 6’4 player, winning 85% of the time. Struggled with fitness last year.

5. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
  6. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    [​IMG]

This is beauty to my eyes!

Paul 13 likes this.
  7. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    well it's that time again, time for another preseason with LFC, let's gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Rather than go player by player in a detailed preview of the full roster, I thought it would be more effective/efficient if I just took the current roster (36 players) and organized them in terms of players who I think are solidly on the squad, vs fringe players who need a good preseason to stay with the team, vs players who are most likely OUT (via loan or transfer) no matter what. These are more based on my opinion rather than what I think the team would do. BTW, I haven't done any research on their contracts, if they have time left beyond this year or not, which obviously affects things, so excuse my naivety.

SOLID LIST (21)
    This obviously has the most names (bold starters IMO):

GK:
    Alisson
    Adrian
    Kelleher

- I actually prefer to have Kelleher play more than Adrian. I think he showed tremendous ability in the handful of games he played with us last season. I am not a big fan of Adrian at all

D:
    TAA
    Gomez
    VVD
    Robertson

Neco Williams
    Ibrahima Konate
    Ben Davies
    Kostas Tsimikas
    Nathaniel Phillips

- I love Phillips, would rather keep him than Matip if it's a choice needing to be made. I don't see Konate starting just yet, although he'll push Gomez certainly. Would love to see more of Koumetio in preseason as well (what a unit he is), not listed here. I wouldn't keep Matip, he is just hurt way too much, but I know Klopp adores him. So.... Anyway, maybe we'll finally see Ben Davies play in preseason???

MF:
    Fabinho
    Henderson
    Thiago

Milner
    Curtis Jones

- That was relatively easy, almost too easy.

F:
    Mane
    Firmino
    Salah

Jota

- Also very easy...

On the fringe (5):
    GK:
    Pitaluga - I'd suspect we'd loan him out

D:
    Joel Matip - I'm really hedging my bets by calling him a fringe player

MF:
    Keita - I know... but he's just so damn hurt all of the time. He's cursed.
    Ox - similar to Keita. he needs a good run with our preseason squad IMO.

F:
    Minamino - I would like to see if he can stick, but I think he could be headed out again

Out (10):
    GK:
    Karius - obvious

D:
    Rhys Williams - needs a run, probably in the Championship division on loan

MF (this is where it gets hard):
    Grujic - I actually like him. He's different than what we have. But his days seem numbered
    Shaqiri - Permanent deal... Going to miss his style. What a character.
    Woodburn - I suspect on loan again
    Wilson - also loan

F:
    Origi - sucks, but like Grujic, his days are numbered. It just didn't work out. Seemed to be in Klopp's doghouse a lot.
    Ojo - was on loan last year. Suspect permanent this year
    Elliott - this might surprise most. He'll probably get a big run in the preseason to try to impress. I've just never seen it. Probably a loan, not a perm.
    Awoniyi - also loan, but will get some reps in preseason.

(note, Sepp van den Berg, is already out on loan, the defender)

Da 'Fins likes this.
  8. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Great list!

I really hope Konate becomes a main starter by mid fall/winter.

I also want to see Tsimikas get a full year and see what he can do - if he gets PT.

Really need another midfielder. Esp thin if there are injuries. Thiago could be special.

would love to sell Origi. Need a diff forward there. Or replace him with a midfielder.

Btw, in total revenue stream, Liverpool virtually equaled Man City for 2018-2019. Hopefully they can keep that going.

Great piece here on the transfer market. Could be fireworks.

unlikely I know, but I would kill for Mbappe.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog-marcotti...covid-driven-cash-crunch-hits-transfer-market

Paul 13 likes this.
  9. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Another good piece on the top 50 potential transfers …

https://www.thescore.com/uefa/news/2180099

Tielemans has hugely enhanced his status since joining Leicester City, establishing himself as one of the Premier League's most exciting players. His varied skill set would do wonders at several clubs.

Liverpool have been rumored for him. Would be awesome. Many other interesting players.

Paul 13 likes this.
  10. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I am quite excited about the prospects of Harvey Elliott. Rated #26 in Goal.com's next gen 50.

Klopp has been training him as a front 3 winger but I love his prospects as an offensive, passing midfielder. Great piece here on him at The Athletic.

Harvey Elliott, ‘the pass before the pass’ and why Klopp can turn him into a predator for Liverpool

Mark Carey May 4, 2021[​IMG] 50 [​IMG]
    In the same week that Liverpool were knocked out of the Champions League by Real Madrid last month, Harvey Elliott celebrated his 18th birthday.

The young forward is enjoying an incredible season on loan at Blackburn Rovers, and although Jurgen Klopp has previously called for patience from fans to allow Elliott to develop in his own time, it is getting increasingly difficult to calm the hype surrounding him.

Elliott has already amassed 40 league appearances at Rovers this season, 31 of which have been starts. He is an established part of Tony Mowbray’s first XI and is very highly regarded by staff at Liverpool and Rovers. Outside of the club, he has also recently been recognised as one of the top 50 young footballers in the world on Goal’s NxGn list.

The Athletic has previously documented Elliott the talent, why Blackburn is the perfect place for his development, and the ongoing financial battle between Liverpool and former club Fulham for his transfer fee. But the youngster, who became the Premier League’s youngest-ever player for Fulham in May 2019, is deserving of an analytical breakdown of his playing profile, given how much he is thriving in the Championship.

Elliott has certainly benefited from his loan to Blackburn, and it has been helpful to all parties that Mowbray’s predominant use of a 4-3-3 formation aligns with Klopp’s system.

The teenager has largely operated as a right-sided attacker, but has been used across the pitch by Mowbray, which already highlights his versatility, confidence and maturity despite his tender age.

[​IMG]

Let’s start by looking at Elliott’s overall stylistic profile using Smarterscout. For the uninitiated, Smarterscout is a site that gives players a rating from 0-99, relating to either how often they do a given stylistic action (such as shooting volume) compared with others playing in their position, or how effective they are (such as measuring how well they progress the ball upfield).

Looking at Elliott’s profile from his inverted right-wing position, you can see how he excels on the ball. Although he is able to dribble, his small frame means that he is less frequently looking to beat his opponent for pace and power (carry and dribble volume: 27 out of 99). Instead, his skills lie within his passing ability, particularly in looking to get the ball forward.

[​IMG]

His progressive passing — ie, how much his passes progress the ball 10 metres or more upfield — is one of his key attributes (rated 92 out of 99).

Elliott has a knack for finding pockets of space, often dropping deep to pick up the ball and look for runners ahead of him — usually in the form of Adam Armstrong, Ben Brereton or Sam Gallagher for Blackburn. One great example of this was during Blackburn’s away trip to Preston in November. The teenager drops as deep as his own half to pick the ball up in midfield. Granted, he has little pressure on the ball but at first glance, he doesn’t look to pose a huge threat to the opposition.

[​IMG]

However, Elliott spots the run of Ben Brereton (out of shot), and plays a threaded pass that breaks through two lines in Preston’s formation to play Brereton in behind.

[​IMG]

Brereton collects the ball beyond the exposed defence to play a simple pass across goal for Tyrhys Dolan to finish.

[​IMG]

Brereton got the assist, but it was the pass from Elliott that provided the most value in the build-up to the goal. The 18-year-old has the eye for playing the pass before the assist — or the “second assist”. No other player in the Championship has more second assists than Elliott’s three this campaign.

Passes inside the full-back are notoriously difficult to defend against, but Elliott has the ability to find that dangerous ball to unlock a defence. Although it didn’t result in a goal, another perfect example is taken from Blackburn’s 0-0 draw with Middlesbrough.

Here, he drifts over to the left-hand side and spots the space to be exploited inside the full-back. He even conducts team-mate Joe Rankin-Costello to make the run by pointing where he can play the ball in behind.

[​IMG]

The vision and weight of pass is perfect, allowing Rankin-Costello to take a touch and fire it across goal — with the final pass just escaping the reach of Brereton and Gallagher (out of shot).

[​IMG]

As expected for a left-footed player on the right wing, Elliott doesn’t hug the touchline and keep too much width. Instead, he is able to come inside on his favoured foot before playing those high-risk high-reward passes. As shown in the graphic below, you can see how many chances he creates within that “half-space” in the right-hand channel — dropping deeper to play those penetrative balls in behind.

[​IMG]

Elliott’s eye for a pass certainly isn’t restricted to simply progressing the team upfield, as he has often been the player himself to play that final ball for a team-mate to score.

His 11 assists this season are comfortably the highest in the Blackburn squad, and the highest for a long time at Ewood Park. The last Rovers player with more than 10 league assists in a season was Craig Conway in 2013-14 (13 assists). And no teenager in England’s top four divisions has been directly involved in more league goals this season than Elliott (six goals, 11 assists).

Despite such an impressive return, assist numbers alone can be an unreliable measure of creative output. Therefore, digging further into the type of passes Elliott makes, we can look at “expected assists” — which measures the expected goals value of the shot that is assisted. A higher expected assists value is indicative of a player who creates higher quality chances for their team-mates.

Looking across the whole of the Championship for attacking players aged 23 and under, Elliott tops the list among his peers with 0.31 expected assists per 90 minutes. Put simply, this means that the quality of his passes would expect him to get an assist nearly once every three games. That is no mean feat, especially considering the only other teenager on the top 20 list is attacking midfielder Michael Olise at Reading (0.21 per 90).

[​IMG]

When he returns to parent club Liverpool, Elliott may have less opportunity to thread the ball in behind quite so frequently against higher quality defences in the Premier League. Liverpool’s undoing this season has been their inability to break down stubborn defences who sit in a low block. However, with little space in behind, the teenager’s eye for a pass could be the key to unlock the door in those tighter contests.

So, Elliott’s creative attributes are unquestionable — but what about his eye for goal? His six non-penalty goals is a decent return, and he is actually exceeding his expected goals of 3.2 so far this season. However, he could benefit from becoming more selfish in his play at times, as he is often more likely to look for the pass than the shot.

Speaking recently, Mowbray said of Elliott: “Having spoken to the staff at Liverpool, they feel as if he sees himself as an assist-maker rather than a goalscorer. And ultimately, with any top, top player, you have to look at their statistics as the season unfolds. How many assists, how many goals do you get… if he is going to play up front for us — at the moment, he’s playing in the front three — if in 20 games, he’s only had one assist and one goal, it’s probably not going to be enough for Liverpool to look at him and think, ‘He can come in our team and do this’.”

Of course, Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane have been the main source of goalscoring income for Liverpool from their inverted wing roles. While Elliott offers something different to the pair, if he were to be in a straight shoot-out with Salah for the right-wing role, the Egyptian would easily come out on top — not least because of his ruthless desire to score.

It is unfair to directly compare Elliott with the two-time Premier League golden boot winner, but it is key to the discussion of how the youngster could work a way into Liverpool’s starting XI with Salah unquestionably higher than him in the pecking order.

Salah averages 3.4 shots per 90, which is in the top 10 for any player in the Premier League this season. As you can see below, he does have a specific area to the right of the penalty spot where he shoots with his favoured left foot.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, Elliott takes less than half the number of shots than Salah, with just 1.3 per 90 at Blackburn this season. Again, it’s not a fair comparison between the two, but it is interesting to see the absence of shots taken by the teenager from Salah’s lucrative area in the box — instead, the young forward is more likely to choose low-quality shots on the edge of the box.

[​IMG]

Elliott has the ability to add more goals to his game by getting into better areas to shoot and perhaps become a little more selfish. However, if he isn’t going to be the ruthless goalscorer that Liverpool have had over the years, then Klopp is one of the best in world football at crafting a position that best suits the attributes of his players.

Could the youngster benefit from a “David Silva” role where he picks up space in central areas as an advanced “free eight”? Elliott could be drafted in an inside-right position in midfield, in the mould of Xherdan Shaqiri — bringing some added flair to a traditionally workmanlike midfield in recent years.

If he is to play in a Klopp team, he would have to improve his defensive responsibilities. As his Smarterscout profile earlier in the piece shows, he is not the most active player out of possession — but given his age and the progress that fellow youngster Curtis Jones has made for Liverpool this season, there is no doubt that will improve.

It’s a compliment to Elliott that he is receiving such plaudits despite his tender age. At just 18, the obvious conclusion is that the young forward is filled with bags of potential, and he is certainly one for the future. However, with the performances he is putting in this season, it is easier to say that he is one for the present, having shone in a notoriously difficult league and ready to make an impact when he returns to Liverpool from his loan. The fanfare has already started and, based on his displays for Blackburn, the appeal is obvious.

(Photos: Getty Images/Design: Sam Richardson)

Tone_E likes this.
  11. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Well looking at Man City and them ending up with potentially both Grealish and Kane. It just seems odd for them to do that. It's not in their nature to bring in English talent like that. I mean they did bring in Sterling for a lot... Stones cost a lot at the time. The value for top English players tends to be inflated beyond their true market worth, as the old adage goes. Knowing what I've seen from both G and K though, I actually don't mind City doing this :lol: I think these are moves that could potentially hurt City. Both in value and in perceived fit to Pep's style. I suppose they got in trouble for the FFP implications and this is their way of making this right? :wink2:

I'm much more worried about what Chelsea may be doing actually. Going after Lukaku to add to their lineup.

And Man Utd as well... bringing in Sancho and Varane. Always loved Varane.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  12. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    MC have buyers remorse with Graelish now that Messi available? I wonder lol.

Da 'Fins and Paul 13 like this.
  13. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Pep's quotes are pretty funny.

Tone_E likes this.
  14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Watched LFC for the first time this preseason today... looks like I might have to admit I was wrong about Elliott. He played really well, particularly the first half. Still, he'll need to do it consistently in the premier league for me to completely acknowledge that he's worthy (not that Ath Bilbao aren't good enough). But he's certainly trending in the right direction.

on the negative side, that Robbo injury looked really bad. He was able to walk off with a limp but that really doesn't mean anything. Too early to speculate as to the extent but in the meantime, all eyes will be on Tsimikas/Milner to fill the gap at left back.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  15. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I hate to see Kane leave Tottenham simply because he has been such a fixture there and great for them. And I despise Chelsea and arsenal, so I always want Tottenham to do better than those two clubs lol. And to Man City. Ugh. On the other hand if Man City forks over $140 million for Kane, then that seems like an awful lot of money for him after also getting Grealish. Hated to see Grealish go there.

Perhaps Kane will do great for another 5-6 years. But I have doubts. Of course, having De Bruyne feed the ball to those two guys will only elevate their game, unfortunately.

Can’t imagine what LFC’s front three would do if De Bruyne were in that line up. I hate that he is with MC but he is an amazing player to watch.

Paul 13 likes this.
  16. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    watched the first 60 minutes of the Osasuna game from yesterday this morning. Really impressed with Tsimikas, Minamino on that left hand side. Superb creativity from both players and the willingness to move forward on a couple of the goals. Firmino of course was class. Kaide Gordon is looking like a young player for us down the road. I thought Ox work rate was amazing. And Konate looked really clean and confident, and he's a unit of a human being.

It seems to me that LFC have really concentrated this preseason on getting the depth players more involved in the process. Which of course, is what preseason is all about. But I don't think they've had that cohesion heading into the season the last two seasons... Can they carry this forward into this regular season? Will Klopp be willing to rotate the players thru the PL/UCL/League Cup between now and December? And will this rotation provide the needed results? It seems as the year goes on, that the bench became shorter and shorter with less of a rotation. We've got to keep our players as fresh as possible which will only help the entire team going forward. The more these other guys get the reps, the better they'll be HOPEFULLY.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  17. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Good thoughts. Similar to mine. I like the depth and it will really be needed as the main stars are getting older plus Virgil is coming off injury. Good to have four defenders in the rotation with Konate, Matip, and Gomez.

agree that those bench players have to step up as well as the main starters play well together. When you are up against City and other clubs they have super stars sitting on the bench (still don’t see how they spend so much given the ‘supposed’ limits per the rules. I think that slap on the wrist only exacerbated the issue) - you need to have your bench step up big time.

Losing Robertson and his incredible passing hurts. Hopefully he will be back soon.

But ultimately the front 3 and Jota as well as Fabinho and Thiago have to step up offensively. They have to score consistently not just in bunches every few games. And be better in passing a from the midfield. I think our defense will be good. Henderson and Keita add to that. Trent is the one weakness defensively but adds so much with his passes.

If we can stay healthy and not drop too far behind early in the season as the team comes together, we have a real chance.

18. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
  19. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Loved the game. Great start to the season.

And love the fact that there were 6 players on the bench or injured who could be considered quality starters. Konate, Roberson, 3 midfield spots (Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago) and Firmino. Great to see Bobby get a goal. Plus others that could contribute significantly (Gomez, Minamino, and several young players). We are going to need that depth - and need to use it - to survive the CL and EPL.

Also loved the passing between Salah and Mane. And that they seemed more positive toward each other. That team focus is a key to doing well this season.

And the small section of fans were so loud with their singing. Just incredible. Goose bumps. I think my number one sports bucket list would be a game at Anfield - just to hear and sing the songs.

My favorite moment in the game was when they started singing Salah’s song after he almost had a breakaway and a few seconds later, while they were singing, he scored off the corner. How amazing is that?! So Great!

Paul 13 likes this.
  20. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Almost as great to see City lose to Spurs (of all teams). I really think that if they sign Kane, it's going to set them back. Anyways, yes agreed on LFC's first game @ Norwich. Perfect to have Salah and Mane working together. It seems they have settled their differences from last season.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  21. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Yes! That City loss was SO great! lol.

And I agree. I hope Spurs hold out and get 150 M, lol. That will be $250 million spent on Grealish and Kane.

22. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    So great to see Elliott and Tsimikas play well today. Really important as we move into the multiple competitions (FA Cup; UCL; etc).

Really hated that offside call… frustrating. Great goal. Still not firing on all cylinders but you can see the focus on team play.

One big difference I noticed watching Man City destroy Norwich City is how aggressive and how quickly Man City play (aside from the fact they have immense talent. Their bench could finish in the top half if not top 5. SMH).

LFC seem to still be thinking a lot on the pitch. Obviously, Burnley are a tough defensive team so that’s part of it. But still want to see them become more in tune and creative. Hopefully as the season moves on it will.

Paul 13 likes this.
  23. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    So I guess Kane is staying at Spurs. This is great news for LFC I think... it hurts both teams. Mbappe appears to only want Real Madrid... it was a pipe dream anyway. Haaland may be the real prize. Which likely means he's a pipe dream as well.

Next summer is going to be interesting, but for now we play with what we've got. I think if we stay healthy, we should certainly finish top 4. Whether we win the league again while City/ManU/Chelsea have all strengthened? I'll say this, it'll be the last opportunity this current team has at winning the league (and other hardware). Salah and Hendo are in contract talks but they are the last two of the notables. Firmino looks to already be replaced by Jota... but I think it's the last season all three of Salah/Mane/Firmino have a role with this team.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  24. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I agree on this season being a bit of transition. Would like to sign Salah but he is getting up there. I love Mane but I think we could do with another creator type (like a De Bruyne type).

Now we are hearing Ronaldo to Man City. SMH. They truly are the Evil Empire in all of Sports. They make the Yankees look like a mid-level team.

What really bothers me is the frugality of the Fenway Group. I did a bit of research in comparison between Man City and Liverpool:

Man City
    Revenue by Year (Euros)
    2016 - 524
    2017 - 527
    2018 - 567
    2019 - 610
    2020 - 548

Five Year TR: 2,776 Million

Net spending (transfers in - transfers out) since the end of 2015: 930 million.

Liverpool
    Revenue by Year (Euros)
    2016 - 404
    2017 - 423
    2018 - 512
    2019 - 605
    2020 - 557

Five Year TR: 2,501 Million

Net Spending (transfers in - transfers out) since the end of 2015: 211 million.

Man City earned 275 million Euro more than Liverpool over the five year period (2016-2020). Yet spent 729 million Euro more on transfers. A net of 454 million more. And when you look at revenue the past two years, it's pretty much even. Yet Man City are still outspending Liverpool this year. And if we just look at the last 3 years (including this year), Man U has spent a net 300 million. Liverpool, a net 180 million.

This makes me question the alleged need for frugality from the Fenway group. Seriously, they need to step up. If they are limited by revenue then Man City should be.

Sources on Revenue Streams:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/251154/revenue-of-manchester-city-by-stream/
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/251158/revenue-of-liverpool-fc-by-stream/

Source on transfer spending:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/manchester-city/alletransfers/verein/281
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/fc-liverpool/alletransfers/verein/31

Paul 13 likes this.
  25. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Well thats some first half v Chelsea for discussion. I dont think thats a penalty actually. Its gone off another body part legally first then the arm. Not supposed to be a penalty. But its on the line and a straight red. Wow.

think we were off till that point in the game. Robbo has had a nightmare. Looks like Firmino has a hammy.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  26. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I thought based on his arm movement it was a good call on the penalty. Tight call.

I love Henderson’s work rate and leadership, but he really has lacked offensive talent with his feet. Just needs more confidence. But too conservative at times.

Jota really adds life to that front line. Not a great passer but his speed gives another dimension to the threat.

27. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Still not running on all cylinders offensively. Feels like the passes are either too quick and unlikely long shots or they hold the ball too long or try to be too cute.

28. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I don't know what to think of today's second half performance. Chelsea are very strong defensively, but that's no excuse for not scoring, we had our chances in that 2nd half. I think we needed someone tall to go for headers in the box vs Azpilicueta. I think that's his one weakness (he's a tremendous defensive player though, not many can handle Mane and he had his share of wins vs him). I think that's the problem when we have Jota in there instead of Firmino... it's a bit of the same thing for all three players, looking to utilize their speed and get behind the defensive line. But when we play someone that drops off, we can't create and pass our way thru that back line. And that's where the crosses are so important (they waited to long to put Tsimikas in for Robbo... Tsimikas has a golden left foot to cross the ball). But even he needs a target. Man if we went all in for Haaland, he'd be perfect.

I just think our offense has become a bit predictable at times. The defenses have seen it, they know how to stifle it for the most part. That first year, Mo for us was so brilliant, but that's because he brought something new and the d couldn't handle it (same with Mane when he came to LFC). And Firmino was the perfect hard working compliment. That's why when you see new players added who appear to be in form like Elliott and Kostas, it adds so much to our attack. You've got to keep refreshing that surprise factor (or newness factor).

I think our success this season will actually depend on our defense. I'm assuming we aren't going to add between now and the deadline of course.

Was a fun game to watch today until the red card.

29. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    i started watching the deadline day coverage today via NBCSN and gave up after about half an hour. What's the point? LFC won't do anything (unless they sell/loan out). And all the talk is about Ronaldo going to Man U. He's really the EPL version of Tom Brady now.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  30. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Great to see Nat Phillips sign a new contract to stay at LFC for several years. Probably the best news we are going to get today. Henderson signed as well.

31. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Frustrating day. Especially after it was reported that Klopp wanted Raul Niguez and now Chelsea are getting him!! WTF?

I have been frustrated with John Henry since the Super League fiasco. But this sit on your hands and do nothing is really frustrating. Revenue wise LFC are very close to the other top 3 clubs but the ownership lacks the resources.

32. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    and now the Edwards news which I'm sure you've heard about. With Klopp leaving in three years (2024), someone will inherit a team without a direction perhaps? We certainly have plenty of players under contract though (thru Klopp's leaving).

Da 'Fins likes this.
  33. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Just saw that. Frustrating. I have to wonder if fans will grow frustrated with the ownership. Last thing you want is the whole fan base for Liverpool upset with you.

34. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    F***!!! Sorry but that injury just pisses me off. They need to stop letting things go like this. Harvey Elliott has been so great for LFC.

Especially since this was easily our best offensive line up. Elliot has been so great and now with a horrific injury at 18. Damnit! Even with the red card it’s not gonna hurt weeds as much as it hurts Liverpool because of that ***hole tackle.

Paul 13 likes this.
  35. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Saw that injury and immediately thought of you mate :wink2: Yeah, it's a big shame, as he seemed to be blossoming into something and the biggest thing was that Klopp trusted him enough to put him into the lineup in these important games (Chelsea as well). The good news is that this is very similar to what Dak Prescott just went thru and he appears to be fine. it's going to take some time, soccer is a bit different than football in that the season is so long and the expectation is that he'll be back in March some time (at the most, looking at 4 to 6 months). And it's not like a knee, the ankle dislocation/facture does have ligament issues as well but hopefully he can get back in that aforementioned time frame and be a part of something special this year.

Now then, it's going to mean Naby Keita MUST step up. Which is good. The pressure is now directly on him. I think he's capable of doing it. To be that creative force coming from the midfield to join in the attack (like Elliott was). And I suspect we'll see Curtis Jones back to help out as well.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  36. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    GG.

Liverpool too much for my AC Milan to overcome. At work so I didn't get a chance to watch but the stats are completely lopsided in Liverpool's favor. 10 corners at the half? Dayum.

Paul 13 likes this.
  37. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    That was a crazy game. It's been almost a week and I can't remember if we won or not. haha. The stats didn't tell the whole story. The end of the first half was a complete meltdown the likes of which this team hasn't seen in a while. It was panic stations. Down 2-1 at the half but dominant on the stat sheet. 2nd half we got it together and managed to eek out the win. I think Milan's attack mindedness at the end of the first half caught us by surprise. I mean the whole game was wide open. But that moment, we were tired and just couldn't do anything right.

Tone_E likes this.
  38. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Today's League Cup game vs Norwich was very intriguing for LFC. We had four young prospects playing. Kelleher, who I like to think of as the #2 (clearcut) had a great PK save to keep the game 1-0 going into the half. Gordon, just 16, looks a talent. I can't figure out if he's left or right footed. I think left... but not 100% sure. he certainly looks better going to his left, almost scoring that one time. The right back, Bradley, was very good going forward. He had a couple of bad moments defensively, including giving away that PK. But the game wasn't too big for him, just 18. Lastly, Morton might be the best of the bunch in time, played as a holding MF that second half. coming on at HT for the injured Keita (who I wasn't impressed with in that first half), Morton seemed to really settle down the MF who struggled in the first half in total (it was Ox/Keita/Jones). They dropped Minamino to a more reserved role in the 2nd half (perhaps a 4231) and that helped too. Minamino (2 goals) was awesome by the way, and so was Origi. (he's so dynamic when he wants to be, really a different player than what we have) yes it's Norwich... but we've struggled in these games previously. Not today. It was a proper beat down.

39. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    that was some bounce back today vs Porto after a real let down on Saturday vs Brentford (3-3). Porto are just no match for us. It's looking good for the UCL advancement out of that group of "death." Still early. I'm intrigued by how many offensive players are really playing well. It's seemingly everyone... unlike last season when there were serious droughts. Curtis Jones was on one today, that is for sure. Him and Hendo had full license to join the attack. Just a total domination.

Looking forward to the big matchup this weekend vs City. (who lost today vs PSG, that's a shame). Only downer right now is Trent picking up a groin injury and likely in doubt for this next match. I would imagine we'd go with Milner over Neco Williams but not so sure though.

40. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    very strange feeling after drawing with City 2-2. I think I'm disappointed. But we could have very easily have lost this game. Milner was getting torched first half. We probably should have been down. Then 2nd half comes and you blow two leads. A much different team. City's second goal, I've gone back and looked at it, was extremely lucky. Robertson gets his foot in on a pass intended for someone else (not KDB) and the ball goes right to him. Even then he gets off a good shot and if Matip doesn't deflect it i reckon Allisson saves it judging by the replay. Just really unfortunate bounces not going our way. I think the first half, the team got heavy legged after playing midweek (and travelling to Portugal). It was the same starting XI. Even against Porto though we had been able to rest guys in the 2nd half getting up as well as we did. Still... we weren't ourselves in that first half (for most of it) today. Really want to see Konate replace Matip in the starting rotation.

Da 'Fins likes this.