1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Liverpool FC Thread @ The Phins

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Paul 13, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Ahhhhh thank god for LFC!!!

its been a brutal 24 hours as a Dolfan. But today has been great for LFC. I just saw that we signed Gakpo.

beating Villa was nice as well. Thought the pace of Ox in the first half was a nice addition to the attack. It freed up Nunez who had a great game despite not scoring himself. Salah looks refreshed. And ready for the second half of the season. With Diaz now out again for some time, adding another forward was key. Now u have to add another midfielder or two. I would add another player with speed as im not sure Gakpo has pure pace.

but what i saw from Gakpo in the WC for Holland was impressive. He can play on the wing. He can play as a nine. He can do alot. And the money is not bad at all. He has a good relationship with Van Dijk. He is very good in the air. Youve got two of the best fullbacks in the game who can send crosses in. But Gakpo is not just a jump ball guy.

very exciting. We also have Doak who is going to get more chances perhaps on the wing. In what little i have seen of him, hes gonna be special. An academy talent. Thought Klopp was giving him a bit too much love on the sideline before he subbed in today LOL!!

addin that we have taken Gakpo away from a top four rival in United. So special.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  2. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Yes. Very happy with Gakpo. Needed.

Still wish we'd land a top midfielder. Though our midfield and really all the players played with far more energy Monday than I'd seen all year. Really aggressive.

Looks like Chelsea are getting Fernandez - he's the one I wanted, even over Bellingham. So unfortunate. I would still like a midfielder before the summer as I think if we put our marbles in the Bellingham basket as there are a lot of reports he would choose Real Madrid. Not even sure he's worth 130 million or whatever it will take. But don't want to compete with them.

Some talk of Caicedo and Amrabat (I'd love both. Amrabat is a younger solid defender who could eventually overtake Fabinho; and Caicedo could play more attacking).

Paul 13 likes this.
  3. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Unfortunately, it's a bit more complicated with Ox and Keita coming back now. You kind of want to give them one last try, but that's a risk. If you knew you had Bellingham locked up (and I'm not suggesting Klopp and the HQ knows), you'd be more willing to take the risk then spend big money on Fernandez certainly. I wouldn't mind either Caicedo or Amrabat... I'd reckon Caicedo goes to Chelsea to be with his former manager. Amrabat would be solid, though I haven't seen him be very assertive in the final third (as Morocco didn't have that many chances lol!). He did seem to have a super engine that just kept going and going. We need that, and he's only 26 I believe. I was never sold on Fernandez coming to LFC as he's Argentinian and we don't have any Argentina players on the team. Not to say he isn't a good player, he proved that at the WC. I certainly don't like competing with Real Madrid for anyone. But steeling Gakpo is really gonna work out well for us, great value on the transfer cost too.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  4. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL

The comments are funny. Seems like FSG really need to sell. Or find some cheap magic like they did with Salah … in the midfield. Which is not likely. I don’t think anyone will invest hundreds of millions in a minority position as LFC are hoping for. I also suspect they don’t want to sell to Middle Eastern money.

5. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Yall have a problem to solve with Darwin Nunez.. hes become the Ben Simmons of futbol. Does not take a shot unless its an open shot and when he does take it, he is always 1-2 seconds too long. Something is off mentally with him. He needs to be more aggressive because the opportunity is there..

Da 'Fins likes this.
  6. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I'm just going to wait out this transfer window and see what happens... there's no point getting upset over a perceived lack of action when the window just opened up. Losing to Brentford was bad. But that third goal was clearly on the ref... and seeing that Brentford were called for five fouls is astounding... as I don't remember any of those calls... it was as if Atwell was letting everything go that they were doing. But I digress... LFC kept the Gakpo signing close to the vest... I think the Luis Diaz signing last winter window was a low key / no rumor signing. This is how they operate. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see any other incomings. I also wouldn't be surprised if we add two new midfielders (we need to). But then you've got too many players hanging around collecting a paycheck in Naby and Ox especially. The problem I have is that if we wait until the summer and go all in on Bellingham but FAIL (again), now what? Do you have a backup plan? Because by then, I doubt we'd finished in the top 4 (at this rate) and adding players is going to be a challenge regardless. But before I lose my **** this window, I'm going to wait and see what else happens.

I really don't think so. I'm not sure if you saw his goal yesterday that was disallowed (offside)... it was a brilliant take and finish. Yes, it didn't count, but the skill level is there. You are correct about the mental thing... but it's just a matter of time. the opposing fans singing **** Andy Carroll does make me giggle. I'm much more concerned about Salah. I expected him to get off to a great start after this break... he's been quiet and still not up to his usual standards. Is his slump a result of the poor midfield counter/pressing/ quick turnovers we normally see, where we can counter with Mo and he does his thing on a break? BC having a majority of possession with him on the right side hasn't worked out lately. Adding Gakpo to Nunez and Mo could prove a solution perhaps. We shall see.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  7. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Yes, for sure. Still can wait and see.

Agree on all the rest on midfield. Need a new defensive mid and an offensive attacker. I'd love to see two paired with Thiago.

I am anxious to see Gakpo. Nunez has some ability but I'm not so enthused on his finishing. He's not convinced me he can play at this level. He misses a lot more than one wants to see.

Defensively we also are playing poorly. We've had 20 clean sheets last year. 10 in the first 16 PL matches. This year we've had 4 clean sheets in 19 matches. And now with Van Dijk out for a few weeks we're in some trouble at defensive center back.

Top 4 looks next to impossible this year without the goal scoring prowess of the past.

I think this data below is pretty telling about the team - signs of aging. Shows me that we are just not flashing the speed and endurance and run rate we used to have. Distance run in games went from 2nd to 16th. Sprints 1st to 14th. There is something going on with the players. Age or lethargy. Just a real lack of energy and a lot more standing around wondering what to do.

Paul 13 likes this.
  8. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    well if that's any indication, this is going to be a really terrible weekend. Wasn't expecting much from LFC today given how things have gone. Wasn't expecting a complete lay down in the second half. Really troubling. I feel a little bad for Gakpo.. he's walked into a hornet's nest.

9. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    That was so much better... 1-0 at Wolves in the FA Cup replay. Great effort by everyone involved... big hat tip to Bajcetic, Elliott and Keita. All three were superb really.

10. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    There was a funny prank during last night's BBC coverage of the game. Lineker posted afterwards about a phone that someone had sneaked in and taped inside the studio. The BBC apologised, but Lineker said there was no need as he thought it was funny too.

Paul 13 likes this.
  11. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    :lol: I was reminded earlier about this priceless moment in TV history... some 30 years ago...

12. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I tend not to post articles (full ones) in this thread... but this one seems to explain something that bothers a lot of LFC supporters lately...

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/fsg-liverpool-transfer-spend-revenues-26051122

FSG Liverpool transfer spend explained amid $129m gap as record revenues prompt awkward question

Had Liverpool’s latest revenue figures emerged in the final weeks of last season, they would have been held up as evidence of a club in rude health both on and off the pitch.

At that time, the Reds were in the midst of a push for an unprecedented quadruple made possible by the relentless winning machine built by Jürgen Klopp.

And so data that showed the club leaping up to third in the Deloitte Money League and ahead of Manchester United for the first time ever would have only cemented the feeling that such levels of attainment were sustainable.

Unfortunately, Deloitte’s report has instead landed with Klopp’s side sat ninth in the Premier League, while their chances of lifting any trophy this term look slim.

p:nth-of-type(6)","type":"performPlaceholder","relativePos":"after"}" data-placeholder-placeholder="" data-response-start="529.1000001430511" data-type="placeholder" style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255); border: 0px; font-size: 16px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(20, 20, 20); font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif;">
    And this contradiction between financial prosperity and on-pitch woes has only served to heighten the ill-feeling towards owners Fenway Sports Group in some quarters.

The Americans' alleged parsimony in the transfer market has long been a talking point among Liverpool’s fanbase, with the debate becoming particularly heated in the aftermath of a failure to address clear midfield issues last summer.

It is in this context that, after record revenues were reported last week, a familiar question reared its head: just where exactly has all the money gone?

Thankfully, between Deloitte’s findings and the club’s latest accounts, there are clues as to why Liverpool’s spending power doesn’t quite appear to match its financial might — for now, at least.

Let’s start with a wage bill which, according to Deloitte, has now climbed to a whopping $454m (£368m/€418m) per year.

To give an idea of just how much this growth is swallowing up an increased revenue, consider that, for the 2016-17 season, Liverpool paid out just $256m (£208m/€236m) in wages.

This change has been driven by squad expansion, a string of extensions signed by senior players in summer 2021, and the fact that the club’s contracts are heavily incentivized, making success expensive.

And, while it would be unfair to speculate whether a jump from a pre-Covid average of around 58 per cent of revenue going on wages to 62 per cent now has led to a reluctance to further spend on transfers, it does at least explain where a lot of the money is going.

Beyond wages, another key factor is that Liverpool’s spending in the transfer market is actually far higher than often thought, as proven by its accounts.

It is there that the club’s tendency to pay out sizeable agent fees as well as sign-on bonuses is reflected — a factor commonly left out of media reporting around signings.

For example, it is perhaps not widely known that the Reds’ accounts show they spent $515m (£418m/€474m) in total on player acquisitions across the summers of 2017 and 2018.

By contrast, Transfermarkt — to use one popular source often cited by fans — report a total spend of around $386m (£313m/€355m), creating a rather significant discrepancy of $129m (£105m/€119m).

These differences have no doubt helped fuel negative perceptions of FSG’s spending on transfers since their arrival at Anfield, even if that is, at times, unfair.

Of course, while these figures prove that there has been no sinister skimming of funds leading to penny-pinching, Liverpool’s owners are not entirely above criticism.

If there is one element of their financial management of the Reds that deserves closer inspection, it is the conditions created by their approach to recent infrastructure spending.

When it came to the redevelopment of Anfield's Main Stand in 2014, FSG handed the club an interest-free loan which reflected the fact that such projects are not considered in Financial Fair Play calculations and also allowed for payments to be paused during the pandemic.

However, for the building of a new first-team training ground at Kirkby and expansion of the Anfield Road End of the stadium, they took the unusual route of eschewing long-term financing to instead make use of the club’s £200m revolving credit facility.

It is a call that has since created an unnecessary pressure on cash flow when wiggle room would have been welcome, not least in the form of a desperately needed midfield signing being sanctioned six months ahead of schedule this season.

It also makes a mockery of previous suggestions that Covid was limiting transfer capabilities given that, in the last accounting period, £70m of the balance of this external loan was paid off.

Quite why FSG would choose to create that time-sensitive financial burden rather than increase the size of their loan to the club when the impact of the pandemic was still being felt across world football is difficult to understand.

In fact, that decision appears even more questionable since it has emerged that the owners are open to a sale in which any infrastructure debt, particularly that relating to a cash-making project such as the Anfield Road End expansion, would hardly be seen as an impediment.

It is hard to shake the feeling that this unnecessary urgency placed on debt repayment relates to a desire to either make Liverpool look even more attractive to potential investors or maximize profit on any sale.

And the same goes for FSG's steadfast refusal to deviate slightly from what is an extreme interpretation of a self-sustaining model even in moments when it is obvious the manager could use some help.

Mercifully, there is an upside to this approach that will be apparent in the club’s next set of accounts when they are released next month.

It is fair to expect that the absence of Covid-related drag and further repayment of the revolving credit facility will allow for a big summer spend, even if Champions League football is not secured.

But it remains to be seen whether FSG will make full use of that headway to give Klopp the summer rebuild he needs, or if they would prefer to leave it to new owners to capitalize on Liverpool’s bright financial outlook.