Official Liverpool FC Thread @ The Phins

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Paul 13, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Da 'Fins likes this.
  2. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Just unreal.

I am dumbfounded at the ineptitude of the management of this club!

Is there no one holding anyone responsible for this fiasco?

It may turn out well in the end, but not because they have such a great plan in place. More because they got very fortunate.

3. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    The good news is that we got Macca and Szobo. The bad news is that both players came over when LFC hit their respective release clauses. Its apparently the only way we can sign someone. Negotiations lacking.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  4. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Apparently we bid 60m for Lavia but it was too late. So we did all the legwork on Lavia (like Chelsea did for Caicedo) but he chose Chelsea. Brutal. I think our temporary sporting director is certainly temporary. ugh.

5. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I do like the Endo signing. He's got James Milner ability and due to the age, there are comparisons. He can play multiple positions, seems to have a never ending engine, late bloomer, surprising strong in the air. Good communicator... I think that last part is vital for our midfield. That's the one thing I didn't like about Fabinho, just too quiet. And that's why he needed Hendo next to him. So the two were a pair for sure.

Hopefully we aren't done. All indications from what Klopp said is that we aren't done. I was pleasantly surprised to hear him say there won't be any outgoings. I'm assuming that includes Kelleher and Phillips! If so, that's great news! But there could and SHOULD be a couple more coming in, we'll see. Adding Endo takes a little pressure off... the best part about this is that Endo signing came out of nowhere. Not reported anyway as a rumor. This means that hopefully we've got leaks tightened up and that we'll just hear about the signings as they come in, and not have to wait several days beforehand as the likelihood of a hijack (from Chelsea) would be great in that instance. We shall see...

Da 'Fins likes this.
  6. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    I saw it reported a couple of days ago that Liverpool were interested...a bit surprised that Chelsea didn't jump in with a £116M offer to add him to the 204 other players they signed as soon as another club shows an interest in someone!

The money in English football is ridiculous. Endo a relative bargain at "only" £16M. I had to laugh at Klopp complaining last week about Saudi clubs coming in to tempt players with open cheque books...welcome to the rest of the football world, Jurgen, and how they see English football clubs.

Paul 13 likes this.
  7. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Saudis really gunning for Salah. I don't know how that is legal considering neither the team nor player have shown interest in him leaving. We got in trouble for going after Virgil at Southampton for god's sake. I suppose every player has a price at some point. I'm not sure if this is the right time to cash in on Salah just before a new season is starting (this late in the transfer window). But if LFC are blown away in terms of the offer, you have to consider it knowing Salah is past his prime (has been past it for a couple of seasons now honestly).

Da 'Fins likes this.
  8. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    That is just an iconic win at Newcastle with 10 men... to come back and win 2-1 after the red card was shown down 0-1. The five sub rule was a big part of that, I reckon. The five players that were brought on were all massive and needed. Hah, never in doubt, right?

Da 'Fins likes this.
  9. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Harsh red. Sheesh.

Paul 13 likes this.
  10. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Oh man. Just incredible! Completely insane and awesome. No telling how many times I’ve rewatched both goals! Lol. Just put them and Alisson’s amazing saves on on a loop.

Unbelievable.

Paul 13 likes this.
  11. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    This is just the best.

12. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

I am a little meh on Gravenberch... but he's only 21... he's tall, 6-3... so that helps in the midfield. Another player to add to the depth. Good cover for Macca and Szobo. I'm not sure about him as a sole 6... but in a double pivot, I think that would be fine. Time will tell.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  13. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I think he may take some time (Wish Thiago were healthy. That guy just struggles to stay healthy. He can't even be ready for the start of the season!). But I think he will fit in and grow into the role. I feel like he will do well from what I've read about him. He was a lot better with Ajax.

I feel good about it. Not great, but good. I'm still pissed at FSG. They are friggin buying a Sports Network (AT&T SportsNet) that covers Pittsburgh sports!!! But can't dole out money for LFC?

How about this dude? Perfectly predicting on May 29 who LFC would sign! Lol. Give me some lottery numbers!

Paul 13 likes this.
  14. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    A Chelsea loss is always sweet. But that loss to NF was made even more sweet - at home; with Caicedo in the lineup; and after snagging two players to sign there over LFC.

Few things would be sweeter than for LFC to make the top 4 and Chelsea to finish 7th or 8th. I want that so bad. I'd have a hard time not rubbing it into the faces of Lavia and Caicedo. Although, apparently, Lavia wanted to go to Liverpool but his agent pushed him to go to Chelsea because the contract was longer and better than LFC offered.

Paul 13 likes this.
  15. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    What a win over Villa. Could (should?) easily have been 5-0. The offensive firepower on this team is phenomenal. And we played really great D. Villa hardly had any good chances. Just really great for the break. Get this team fully healthy and fully integrated and it’s a team that can compete for the title for sure. At least as good a chance as any to finish 2nd. Have a feeling it could be one of those down to the final few games kind of season.

Have to stay healthy and keep the d*** Saudis out of our hair!

Paul 13 likes this.
  16. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Lol! Right?!?!

Paul 13 likes this.
  17. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I am worried about the away game at Wolves... we seem to always have struggles against them, or maybe it's just recent memory :lol: But I read a stat today which I found shockingly believable... it's another early game on a Saturday (the first game of the week) coming off an international break. LFC have done this TWICE as much as the next highest team. So short time to get ready this week for an away game. It's a recipe for a loss... hope I'm wrong.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  18. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Whew. Turned out well after a sketchy start. Really didn’t think we’d do it with so many out of the lineup (no Trent, VVD, Konate, plus Diaz & Nunez on the bench needing rest from a late return from internationals; and Gravenberch just getting his feet wet). Than that poorly called yellow on Mac when he barely touched the player. They should start handing out yellows and fines in retrospect to players who dive.

Salad’s two passes to Gapko and Robertson (who made a great run) were big. Actually could have had a 3rd assist on the Harvey goal. Tossup on the own goal ruling imo.

Paul 13 likes this.
  19. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Lol on Manu-re and Chelsea. Man, I hope they stay there. Tottenham and Arsenal both look very competitive.

20. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    That’s two of the worst calls I’ve ever seen in a football game. Not only was that red card highly questionable, his foot, slipped off the ball, come on!

Still, that was nothing compared to the offside call!!! with no line!

I don’t see how these Premier league officials are not called out by media for corruption. It’s insane! Seems to me they have it in for Klopp, because of his outrage at the officials.

I am apoplectic at this point.

Paul 13 likes this.
  21. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I’ve been a diehard Sports fan for 55 years. I’ve seen some horrendously called games by officials. But the Liverpool Tottenham game was the absolute worst officiated game I’ve ever seen. I do not understand how officials can get away with that BS! He really bad red card on Joannes. A completely and utterly phantom yellow on Jota, which then led to a red card! They completely and utterly botched offside call. Why even have VAR?

22. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    oh wait till you see this... and people question that there's no conspiracies in sports... against LFC... and against our Dolphins (I'm really worried about the game tomorrow vs the Bills, the refs will try their best to affect the outcome)

Da 'Fins likes this.
  23. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL

Can’t believe they made that call. I’d have been okay if it turned out to be a tie.

Paul 13 likes this.
  24. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Unbelievable! It’s surreal. I have an inkling they are out to hurt Liverpool in recent weeks because of Klopp’s outburst. Also think the NFL is definitely anti-Ross because

Paul 13 likes this.
  25. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    it's a shambles... who is Oli? Are there two Oli's? Michael Oliver was the 4th referee that day. He answers to Oli at one point in the audio that was released. link below. Yet, there's apparently an Oli from PGMOL hub, per the transcript... if you can believe it. Either way, the VAR was WAYYYY to quick to restart play. And just saying "check complete" is a joke. There needs to be something else said to the main referee. VAR didn't even know what the onfield call was... it's a complete mess. And of course it HAS to happen for LFC who have been given how many red cards this year in what 6 games? All of them with shades of controversy. No conspiracy though... GTFOH.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3718057

Da 'Fins likes this.
  26. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    So great that our Dolphins and LFC are really really good this season. Loving it. Sucks that there's an overlap in the game times today... Dolphins start first, will be watched first... then LFC afterwards on delay. I wonder how a conversation between Jurgen Klopp and Mike McDaniel would be like? MM with his brand of humor... and Jurgen having English as his second language, sometimes he doesn't see the full humor in things... wonder if the two could co exist in a conversation :lol:

Da 'Fins likes this.
  27. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I dont know what that game was today. Execution in the final third was the worst all season. Nunez sitter was real bad. But Diaz getting a goal and tying it really the lone highlight. Szobo looked off for the first time all season. He actually looked sick.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  28. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Yeah it was just such a bad tie. They just can’t let that happen against bottom half teams.

The Diaz goal was special. What a difficult and tragic situation he is dealing with.

But Nunez has to be better. He took so many shots and missed all of them. A couple of times I thought he should have passed. He’s no Szobo or Trent. But then several opportunities missed. I don’t think they score if he hits on one of those.

He seems to be very good at getting in position and creating chances but is just so inconsistent finishing. No one finishes them all by any means of course but he has so many chances. Has to improve.

Paul 13 likes this.
  29. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Thats a big result at Cheaty. Im calling them that from now on with the 115 FFP charges. Even though its just a draw u are taking two points from Cheaty considering they were up initially. So psychologically its a good result. But it does come at a cost with both Jota and Ally going down with apparent hamstring injuries. Kelleher will have to step up. And Diaz too.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  30. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Hopefully Ally isn’t too bad. He’s the best in the world right now, imo.

Jota hurts. But Diaz has a lot of talent. Real issues are at center forward. Too inconsistent.

Great win today vs Lask. Result is great. We don’t have to play anyone next game and avoid the February play in. Good for our progress in the EPL. We also have a great chance to win Europa but I really want a top 4 in the PL. obviously winning it all should be great.

Love your moniker “Cheaty.” lol. Perfect.

Especially frustrating in light of the Everton scandal docking them 10 points! If that had done that with Cheaty two years ago we’d be champions again. Smh.

Middle East money has to be behind it all.

Paul 13 likes this.
  31. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Man we missed Allison badly yesterday.

But what a come back!

And some fantastic goals. Endo and Trent came through! Whew!

32. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    What a game that was yesterday?!

I called 4-3 at half time (when it was 2-2, I think). Liverpool's first two goals were absolute worldies. I guess Trent doesn't get the first one, they say it was a OG on the keeper. whatever. The 2nd by Macca is my goal of the season so far for LFC. I love the goals from outside the box. Just reminds me so much of the Dutch in the early 70s(?). Those long distance goals... And of course it's Macca's first goal in red, so deserving considering all the hard work he's put in.

Two soft goals by Fulham though. Kept it level at the half. I think Kelleher should be saving that first one as it goes between his legs. Could argue the 2nd one as well (Ally would save it). And then the 3rd not on Kelleher but on Tsimikas getting out jumped on the header.

Then Endo gets the equalizer, great hit and layoff by Salah. And lastly, Trent's strike from outside the box again... that's four goals from distance... none by the forwards... you don't see that very often.

Speaking of the forwards, Nunez has missed a couple of major chances in this game. He's so inconsistent but the Kop lives him so much. I think the goals will come. It's just mental with him. Nothing wrong with his physical attributes at all.

Been particularly impressed with Endo and Gomez the last couple of games. Reserve roles yesterday, but I think they both had a big impact in the outcome of the game.

Matip going down for a while shouldn't be too much of an issue, granted we have no other CB injuries! Konate needs to be put in bubble wrap. But Quansah has been a story in the games he's played. He looks very very good. And you have Gomez that can cover at CB as well. Nat Phillips is on loan at Celtic until January. Checking his stats with Celtic, he hasn't played much. looks like only 1 start on November 1st (some spot duty prior to that). Hasn't played since. Not ideal for him.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  33. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Can’t believe we didn’t beat ManU! Almost entire game was played in their end.

Felt like we had 25 headers in the box and couldn’t score. And took a lot of bad shots from too far out. And must have hit the side of the net 15 times!! Good grief.

Sucks to totally dominate a game and not get a single goal. We need a genuine finisher.

Paul 13 likes this.
  34. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    agreed. was a rough game to lose 0-0. Our three forwards have not been getting it done. To have them subbed (not Salah) and then not be able to bring in a true forward (Gakpo?) is disappointing. Forward is suddenly not the deepest position on the team. And with those guys struggling to score, it's an issue right now. Midfield is actually the deepest position and when we get back Thiago and Bajcetic, well it's going to get crowded there.

35. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Solid last two games. This FA cup win at Arsenal was big. Considering how many weren’t playing, perhaps it’s something in the air tonight for our Dolphins!! Ibou and Gomez were immense. Jota off the bench changes the game every time it seems. I think u have to keep bringing him in as a sub now. Let Nunez/Diaz/Elliott/Gakpo have more minutes to play themselves into form. Jota doesn’t need the time.

36. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    I imagine you Liverpool fans will be gutted to wake up today to find out Klopp has announced he's stepping down at the end of this season. I reckon he'll be odds-on to be the next Germany manager after the Euros in the summer.

Who do you want as a replacement?

Da 'Fins likes this.
  37. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Yes, I can't put into words what my feelings are... I think it's really poor timing to occur during the season. But maybe I'm just not as experienced with soccer as I am with the NFL and how things work with the coaching changes there. Like, with Andy Reid (for example), he wouldn't come out now and say I'm moving on at the end of the season. He's going to wait until after the season ends. And with all the processes that take place, the search for a replacement, the team has that in place and perhaps they knew about him stepping down already. There are contingencies, yes, but still a process.

So, as a fan, I'm worried about the impact on the mindset of the team as we chase four different trophies. I just watched his press conference. I want to believe 100% what he is saying. But there's a part of me that thinks it's more than just his decision... outside influences. Things that are out of his control and can only be controlled by the "higher ups" aka FSG. Chasing Caicedo, as an example, and not closing that deal. How much of that was on FSG vs Klopp?

And saying he needs a break. That's totally understandable. He does put 100,000% of himself into the team and into winning. It would be great if he could take a year off and come back, but that's not realistic. He walked away from Dortmond on his terms. They were not having the best season and there was pressure that he might be sacked, but he came out before the season ended and said he was leaving. It was in April. But he said that he wasn't tired. But that he came out and announced in respect to the club, for them to have enough time to react... unlike the players that had left him at the end of their seasons and they didn't have time to react.

And as far as replacements? I would have to put Xabi Alonso at the top of any list. He's done incredible work in the Bundesliga with Bayer Leverkusen. It makes sense to everyone, so he is choice #1. I suspect we will have competition from Real Madrid, so that will be something to watch. I haven't watched any Leverkusen matches, so I don't know his adaptation to match incidents and how he changes his strategies. I hope we continue what we have built in Klopp's tenure as far as the basis for success and the style of play.

As for plan B? De Zerbi would be a good name. But there's a big gap between the two plans. And also Julian Nagelsmann is being mentioned (edited)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
    Da 'Fins likes this.
  38. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    It is unusual, even in soccer. Mid-season announcements of departures are usually just firings, not a coach stepping down. The only thing I can think that might have precipitated it is that the news was about to leak after he'd discussed it internally. I doubt he and Liverpool would want it to come out and possibly affect their push for trophies in the middle of a season. It could have the reverse effect though, in that players and him will want to go out on a high.

Big list of names mentioned here as possible replacements, many of them just throwing a dart against the dartboard though, as I doubt many of them are in serious consideration. As you say, Xabi Alonso is the obvious, and popular, name though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68106586

Da 'Fins and Paul 13 like this.
  39. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Just completely gutted. Total bummer. Not just because he’s been great for Liverpool, but I legit love the man. I don’t think there has ever been a coach so engaging and beloved by the fans at Liverpool or perhaps anywhere. Just hate it to no end.

Strange that he has announced it now, as Paul notes. he has remarked on the multiple occasions in the last year or two that he was not going to stay forever and probably would not coach a lot more for the Reds. I don’t know if it’s the failure of FSG, or what. But it is clearly not a level playing field in the Premier League. Who knows?

I wish I could have attended a home game that he coached. My wife knows, there’s no event I’d rather attend than a Liverpool home game with Salah and Klopp. Really, would have been phenomenal back in the late teens with Firminho as well.

Whatever he does or wherever he goes I will be a fan.

Paul 13 likes this.
  40. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    What a great way to win after clops announcement! I just can’t imagine a more beloved coach. Really do love him. He defines Anfield and the life of that place. Can’t imagine replacing him.

Paul 13 likes this.