Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'College Sports' started by joeydolfan, Mar 30, 2009.
Sounds interesting, could you post a link to that board? Thanks
Here you go, this is the particular thread: http://forums.gatorsports.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3691038186/m/7771033119
Disclaimer: There is an extremely obnoxious Canes fan on that board who may be the biggest homer I've ever seen in any sport that posts some pretty crazy stuff on that board just to get a reaction so you'll see a bit of bias from the regular posters.
Let's be real here for a second. Shannon is on the hot seat this year and needs to win. If he felt that Marve, Cook or Smith gave him the best chance to win - they'd be playing. Jacory beat both of them out (Cook, Smith). And don't discount the input from coach Whipple here either.
Lol, yeah, that 'other Dolphins board' has a few homers on there too, Fins especially. I'm not sure if I would buy too much into what the guy claiming to be Highsmith's cousin is saying. He says his cousin is white, but A.J. is black. http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/highsmith_aj00.html
Here's the current injury lowdown :
Miami defensive end Eric Moncur is expected to miss the Hurricanes' opener at No. 18 Florida State with a groin injury.
Moncur missed most of last season with a torn abdominal muscle and got a sixth year of eligibility from the NCAA for 2009. He had been working out in recent days with hopes of playing against the Seminoles on Monday night.
Miami coach Randy Shannon, though, said Wednesday that he expects Moncur would be out for the opener. The Hurricanes also will be without defensive end Adewale Ojomo, who could miss the entire 2009 season with a broken jaw So far those are the only major injuries. 5 more days!!!
The whole season? Wow, were there ever anymore details on that story? All I heard was it happened "horsing around" in the locker room.
Hopefully that's a misquote by ESPN. I haven't found another article yet that said he would miss anymore than the season opener. Apparently he might have gotten 'sucker punched'. Here' a link to the Herald.
That sucks ***. He's our best pass rusher, even though he needs work on his run defense. I guess this means more opportunities for Marcus Robinson and Oliver (sp?) Vernon, who's reportedly been lighting up camp.
Miami & FSU 1991 game on ESPN Classic at 5pm if anyone's interested.
3 more days till College football starts! I mean, if you're a fan.
Beat the semenholes.
I'm pumped for this game. Tough schedule? This is the U. We aren't afraid to play anyone at any time, gotta beat the best to be the best. Let's get the season rolling.
An unusual land based hurricane is expected to hit Tallahassee Monday night shortly after 8pm.
Meteorologists are not sure how this unique storm formed but the origin has been pinpointed to the heart of beautiful Coral Gables sometime in March. Oddly enough this is also the same time a local college football team began spring practice.
Citizens of Tallahassee - more specifically those at Doak Campbell Stadium not wearing orange and green should expect heavy amounts of Jacory Harris, Craig Cooper, Travis Benjamin, Lamar Miller, Leonard Hankerson and Aldarious Johnson as well as heavy thunder and lightning from the likes of Marcus Forston, Sean Spence and Allen Bailey.
The storm will begin to make its way into the Gulf of Mexico late Saturday afternoon before heading directly north to the state capital. It's forecasted to strengthen to a Cat 14.
I hope we can put a spanking on GT after last season.
It's game day! Where are all of my fellow Cane fans. Lets get this going.
Right here brother! I'm pumped!
I'm excited to see Jacory tonight. I expect some great things from him in this offense. He has some nice weapons and has the talent himself. He's got experience and now we hope he can take it to the next level.
Alen have you heard anything about the Bradford injury? Is he going to still be out when we play Oklahoma?
I don't expect you to.
I expect Miami to win pretty handily tonight, but I could see Miami starting 0-4 with nothing to be ashamed about.
I dont EXPECT to spank GT but I still hope we can. Just like I hope we can beat Oklahoma, but I don't expect to.
I'll be very disappointed with 0-4, slightly understanding of 1-3, happy with 2-2, feeling great about 3-1, and doing flips over 4-0
I expect 2-2 but could see it going a number of different ways.
I hope Johnson and Byrd take it to a new level this year.
Re: Bradford - They won't know the extent of his injury for another week or two but he has started rehabbing. Its a grade 2, maybe 3, AC joint sprain so he could be out for our game. I'm just speculating here but its a possibility that he misses our game. I doubt it though.
If he's out it becomes a completely different game. In front of our home crowd, their QB missing, turns it from a long shot to a tight one.
So you expect to beat Virginia Tech?
I'll need to see a lot tonight to take Miami in that game I think.
With Bradford injured and not knowing the extent, I could see winning any combination of those games or losing them.
It could be beating FSU and GT, could be anything.
I think this game will be close.
Miami should win this one.
And..............GO RUTGERS !!!
Anyone recording tonight's game too?
And good to see you 54! I'll be definitely watching the Rutgers. Anthony Davis, their LT, could be a early first rounder!
Well you said yoou didn't expect to beat GT or Oklahoma, but expected to be 2-2. So I just took it as you expected to beat VT. My bad.
Oh well I didn't mean I didnt expect to beat GT, I meant I dont expect to kick their asses.
I don't expect to beat any of the three teams after FSU, but I expect to beat one of them. To get two wins I think beating FSU is highly important
If we start 4-0 we will have a great shot at that.
You guys watching Rutgers?
Since I grew up with this team, I have that confidence that it doesn't matter who we play. We can beat them. Can't win them all if you don't win the first. And you cant be scared to play anyone at any time.
Lets get out there and win.
Well, this is Jacory's Team, for the Canes to win he has to play well.
Looking forward to this game tonight, to me FSU is a program on the decline, but I don't know how good a coach Randy Shannon is, especially at prepping the guys.
And Sam Bradford going down really boosts our chances this year.
One hour to go, can it go by any slower!
Yerah it stinks. It is going to feel like a year til Sunday! Good luck Canes
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HELimO77JY8"]YouTube - The Miami-FSU Rivalry (Wide Rights/Left)[/ame]
Damn man I haven't seen you in forever. Good to have you back!
Alright, first off, I want to say wow. That was definitely wild lol. I am still shaking a bit, I don't really know why, maybe its because I was yelling and jumping up and down the whole game? Either way, I'm shaking and my heart rate is probably twice what it should be. Now, lets get on to the thoughts on the game, as we all usually do after a game. Here are mine.
1) Jacory Harris - As Hurricane fans, we knew that he was talented coming to this program. We all had confidence from him in the beginning and when Marve was throwing interceptions left and right, we all called for Harris. This year, we finally got him as the full-time guy and through one game, he's making us all look pretty good. Speaking of Marve, I want to say how incredibly different he is from Harris. Why? When Marve threw an interception, he melted mentally. Its the first thing that I thought about - as you saw my post in the game thread - when Harris threw the interception; how would he bounce back? He came back, was calm and delivered. I'm a big believer that the mental aspect of the game for a quarterback is the most important part of evaluation. If he struggles in that department, you can just about write him off for his entire career. Fortunately, we see that Harris is not that kind of player. His calmness in the pocket and pocket presence is very good. I really think when he's done with this program, he'll be considered one of the top quarterbacks coming out. I'm not saying this all off of one game because I watched him last year too and was very impressed despite him being a freshmen. Also, Jacory's not built very well, only 190 but he's got some arm strength, which is something I had a huge question mark next to. Beautiful throws tonight, great pocket presence, calm as you can get and really accurate. I can't say enough about his quick development.
2) Graig Cooper / Javarris James - Cooper was the highlight of the two but both played very well. Javarris James showed something that I felt he completely lacked and that was some strength and toughness. He is still easily taken down by his legs as he doesn't run with high knees and is kind of like his uncle, Edgerrin James in that department. James is easily taken down by his legs but one wouldn't think that when they watched him with the Colts. The difference between Javarris and Edgerrin is that Edge ran low to the ground IMO. On to Cooper, he did everything and reality is, he's our Westbrook. I"m not saying he's equivalent to Westbrook in terms of talent but I am saying he is our Westbrook. Great route ran for the touchdown, showed some ability to return kicks which we saw Westbrook do as a young guy and he ran hard too. Showed some wiggle once again and improved vision, which really stood out to me.
3) Mark Whipple - I don't know if I can list a OC as a positive or not because he's not a player but fact is, this guy makes a lot of difference. Those crossing patterns were very well ran and very effective. I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't run more but its understood why we didn't. Its tough to run stretch plays against a defense that equals the speed of your running backs.
1) The defense - Where were they? The secondary was awful tonight, other than Brandon Harris IMO. Yes, he did get beat a couple times but from what I noticed, he was the only legitimate tackler for us and he's shown maturity. He made great plays against receivers that are four inches taller than him. He also made a couple open field tackles that had it been someone else, its probably a touchdown.
2) Pass rush - Other than Marcus Robinson's sack and strip, we had zero pass rush. Absolutely zero. If one was to go and watch the game, you'd think that it was Wyoming against USC because that's how clean the pocket was. Ponder could have read a book and then threw a pass without getting dirt on his jersey.
3) Discipline - We had something like nine penalties, which is awful, and we didn't make tackles. Every time I saw a missed tackle, it was because the defender was tackling around the shoulders. Do they really think that's going to work? Also, the offensive line. Where's the discipline? I think Fox, Shannon and Franklin all had penalties at one point and I think they were all false starts.
I'm so excited I'm playing with my nipples..