1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OFFICIAL Miami Hurricanes Thread

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by chrisbaucom, Dec 17, 2007.

1. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    people say that butch wont stay though.

2. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    He will entertain a larger audience I'm sure, but he took Miami from ericson's sanction hell to maybe the most talent laden team ever... good enough for Coker to win a NC even. His recruiting is spectacular and I believe he will replicate that success at NC. I will be glad when he leaves our conference, and hope greed makes it "sooner"

3. Beelzebob

Beelzebob New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Atlanta
    Just when I think I have this team figured out they take a turn in the complete opposite direction. How did the D not adjust and put a spy on Ponder? I think it's time for the coaching staff to stop favoring upperclassmen and let the young kids play. I would much rather have a bad season with all the young ones getting experience.

B. Harris made a ton of mistakes and I bet that will motivate him the rest of the season. Spence is going to be a monster! The only WR's I'm not impressed with are the upperclassmen. I can't figure out what's happened to DVD this year. How in the world did Coker allow the talent level to drop so drastically?

The bottom line is the Canes are very young and very talented. They need to recruit lineman like crazy the next two years and this team could be ACC champs very quickly.

alen1 and cnc66 like this.
  4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree. I would have put Spence to spy on Ponder at least. Speaking of Ponder, how about our own Ponder, the Safety. He's terrible. Tackles like a little girl out there.
    Man Harris was disappointing out there. Three pass coverage penalties and missed a couple tackles. He needs to work on tackling, that's for sure. Despite the mistakes, I'm not sure he had a chance in this game. He was up against Greg Carr whose eight inches taller than him. Did you by any chance see the one handed touchdown grab Carr had? It was negated by a holding penalty but Carr just tipped it to himself. Moving on, Sean Spence is really something special. I thought he was the only guy who was impressive on the defense. Had seven tackles in the first eight minutes of the game and later with the interception. He was worn out though, you could tell. I'm guessing its because he's not use to play full time in college.
    I agree. But I think the interior defensive linemen are the problem for us, not the ends. They always cave in to close the hole and then the RB's bounce it out. I'm not sure if that's Bill Young's philosophy or that's what they were thought to do. It certainly isn't good. I thought Marcus Forston should have gotten more time in the game. Joseph who always falls on his ***, was in the beginning of the game and spent a lot of time in there. Hendricks was in there. We have one part of the duo in Forston, now we just need another one. I've heard talk that they could move Allen Bailey inside. Bailey is really good at DE but with so much talent on the edges, I'm not sure if he sees fulltime out there. We have Wesley, Vernon coming in, Ojomo, Moncur and a few others. I think we have to get rid of Bill Young if he fails to adjust to our talent and stop trying to adjust our talent to his system. That's clearly not working and I don't understand why he continues to try to get our players to fit his system.

On the offensive line side, I thought they played well running the ball. 5.8 yard per carry average for Cooper against the 8th ranked rush defense in the NCAA. Only problem was that it took Nix three full quarters to go back to Cooper. The biggest problem for the guys is the blitz. We saw FSU put eight in the box and just blitz. Dakota Watson was in the backfield often. I have to wonder if any of our RB's can block or pickup blitzers because I don't recall it happening.

Next week we play UCF I think. I've heard UCF has some very good CB's so that may be a problem.

I agree about FSU. I didn't agree about UNC but thinking about it, your right. They are going to be a good team.

Lol. I was getting ready to turn off the TV but Jaydog and Alex44 were saying we would come back. I didn't believe them but I stuck by the TV and they were right lol.

Beelzebob likes this.
  5. Beelzebob

Beelzebob New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Atlanta
    Colin McCarthy and Eric Moncur are out for the year due to injuries.
    :pity:

alen1 likes this.
  6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Damn, not good. Moncur's draft stock takes a hit as well. He'll be a late rounder now. The injury to Moncur is a little easier because we still have Wesley and a couple other guys who can fill in. Sean Spence is full time now with the McCarthy injury. I wonder how he handles the workload. I'm guessing that we will rotate him with Romeo Davis whose a terrible player.

7. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

I am alittle shocked that you would start something after its been disolved. I don't care what thread it is the Canes always SUCK!!!! I hope you don't like that! :up:

8. Beelzebob

Beelzebob New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Atlanta
    My signature is proof that your statement is blatantly untrue.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Just some info. Shannon says that Moncur may not be done for the season.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Damn man, another one possibly done for the season. Youngblood, the OL.

11. Jaydog57

Jaydog57 Canes/Fins/Magic fan

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Been in mourning a few days, I just saw this, lol. Thanks man, we'll see what happens. Good luck in the Swamp next week!

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    For those who watched the game, how did Marve look out there today? The statistics don't show good things but I'm wondering his play aside from statistics. Did he force throws again? Also Harris, how'd he look out there?

13. Jaydog57

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Marve just couldn't get in a rhythm, scrambling and throwing 3 INT's in the first half. Harris did pretty good when he was in. Marve will get better though.:up:

Defense was awesome, shut down their running game. They didn't give up any points.:hi5:

alen1 likes this.
  14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Man, not good about Marve. He struggles to read defenses. I hope he can improve on that but he is a freshmen.

Man, that says a lot about our offense lol. We don't allow any points on defense and we still only win by six?

Thanks man.

Jaydog57 likes this.
  15. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Marve is a Freshman and so we should expect an occasional game like this. If he's the real deal he will regroup and have a solid showing next week.

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's true he is a Freshmen but he has to learn to read defenses better. I think he's thrown a pick in every game but the UF one.

17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    No doubt.

I give him some slack though because he is seeing things that he never saw in high school. Plus he didn't play at all to see these things last season either. It isn't like he has the best receivers to work with either.

He needs to improve but what he's going through isnt anything I wouldn't have expected.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree. However, I thought he should have worked on that while he was off the field last season due to the car accident.

19. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'm sure he looked at film and stuff but that doesn't really make up for having seen it before. A lot of defensive schemes look similar at the snap, so unless you have experience in seeing them it would be easy to get confused.

It's like.....you read a book about driving cars but until you actually get in the car and drive it isn't the same. Only this is way more complex than driving :lol:

alen1 likes this.
  20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

That's a good point.

21. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    He did not throw long very much at all. No risks at all in that game.

Congrats on the win to ALL Cane fans!

Jaydog57 and alen1 like this.
  22. GR82BACANE

GR82BACANE New Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Fire Nix now!! Not tomorrow, not at the end of the year..NOW!!! He is an idiot.

Gus Malzahm as next OC.

23. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I believe your view on this completely.

The Canes have some growing to do without a doubt, however, Nix right now is one of this teams biggest liabilities.

alen1 likes this.
  24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree. I'd love to bring in Kiffin. We also need a new secondary coach.

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Recruiting news from Scout.com. Reuben Randle, a top HS Wide Receiver, visited Miami in June I believe and liked it there. He's 6'3, close to 200 and runs a 4.5. Really good hands from what I've read and obviously has the good size. He's currently being recruited by Alabama, UF, LSU, Miami, USC, Michigan and Tennessee. This will be interesting to watch because we're going to have a logjam at WR, whether he comes or not. There's so much talented at the WR spot at the moment. Looking at next year, we're looking a group that consists of LaRon Byrd, Leonard Hankerson, Thearon Collier, Aldarius Johnson, Jermaine McKenzie, Tommy Streeter, Sam Shields and Kendal Thompkins. All will be sophomores aside from Sam Shields and Leonard Hankerson. Shields is garbage so I'm not looking forward to seeing him. For whatever reason, they continue to give him chances though. Don't know why. If we add Randle, that will be ridiculous. Byrd, Johnson and Streeter are the guys that I really like from the group.

Here's a short video of Reuben Randle, the possible recruit.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWzu0_juTcQ[/ame]

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
  27. Beelzebob

Beelzebob New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Atlanta
    There has just been a Davon Johnson sighting!

28. Jaydog57

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Come on Miami let's get a score before the half.:knucks:

29. Jaydog57

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Touchdown! :woot:

CrunchTime likes this.
  30. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Are there any streams on the net for this game ?

31. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Crunch and Jay, I'll look for a stream. If I find one, I'll post it here.

Jaydog57 likes this.
  32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    CrunchTime likes this.
  33. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks.Bookmarked it.It looks like Cane fans are using that channels chat room.Its better than nothing.

alen1 likes this.
  34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Keeping up with it on ESPN.com, it looks ugly. Two interceptions, one each by Marve and Harris. I'm reading a game thread on it on a Hurricanes message board and they're all saying that Marve looks worse than Harris out there. If that's true, it sounds like Harris could get his chance next week. We're averaging 4.6 yards per carry and not running at all. Nix screws up once again.

35. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    There's also Hurricane-Sports.com game thread that I'm keeping up with. They're saying Marve looks bad out there. :pity:

36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Touchdown! Jacory Harris run. I think if he continues to make this offense so, he's going to get a opportunity sooner or later.

37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    This is what I don't understand. How does your top tailback, whose averaging 9 carries per rush, have five carries?

38. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Jacory Harris will start next week. If he doesn't, I'm going to be disappointed. 4 total touchdowns today.

39. Jaydog57

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    35-24 Miami, a score more to my liking. It's all about the :theu::woot:

alen1 likes this.
  40. Beelzebob

Beelzebob New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Atlanta
    Jacory Harris welcome to QB U!