1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OFFICIAL Miami Hurricanes Thread

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by chrisbaucom, Dec 17, 2007.

1. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    I am soooo over the Mavre story, look at the other transfers Miami has and you dont see any of them crying about where they can or can not transfer too. I for one say let Mavre transfer to USF or UCF so Spence, Bailey or Forston can knock him silly when we play them next.

2. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I just thought some of you guys might be interested. I don't think the other guys are crying because they did not have the restrictions or problems. USF plays a rough schedule next year (However Marve can't play next year)

3. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Has not been made public knowledge but all of the other players I am aware of are all transferring to schools out of the state of Florida. I would be willing to bet they all had the same restriction of no locals schools same as Mavre.

4. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Three....but I give him one more year. Next year the schedule will be against him, but he needs to overcome that.

5. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    And he can transfer to any SEC school except Florida, Tenn or LSU.

So the ball is in your court Marve. If you want your son to play close to you because of your health, Randy just landed UCF and USF in your lap. How does Eugene Marve cry about this one ? :lol:

6. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Jared Wheeler gave his verbal to Miami on 790am today at noon.

Jared Wheeler - Comes down to Miami and Vanderbilt, last interview was a strong Cane lean. OG all the way at 6'6" 310 lbs without the quick feet to play tackle.

We need at least 2 to 3 more commits for the OL to finish off this glass. Bunche is becoming a stronger Cane lean, White is still interested, but tough to pull him away from home and both his parents are Terps grads.

Getting Massie or Campbell or both so sign on would be a huge get for this class.

PMZQ likes this.
  7. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I'm starting to get excited about this class. The coaching needs to improve drastically though to get to the Florida, U$C, Oklahoma or Texas level.

8. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Some nice information from Manny/Miami Herald on what Shannon is looking for on an OC and the main reason why he wants to run a pro set offense.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2009/01/cards-ravens-su.html

Lots of other information as well.

Beelzebob likes this.
  9. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Huge weekends coming before national signing day especially to finish off the OL for this years Canes recruiting class.

http://miami.scout.com/a.z?s=13&p=9&c=6&dv=20090120&yr=2009

I still think Marcus Hall is Ohio State all the way, I have a good feeling with Bunche, would be ecstatic with Peter White. Dion Sims would be a huge steal away from Michigan and would be the best TE prospect we would have this year.

http://miami.scout.com/a.z?s=13&p=9&c=6&dv=20090127&yr=2009

I still think Tana Washington is just coming for the visit, same with Quinton Washington. But you never know how country boys will react to Miami and the environment. Tiller is one of the top ranked Juco OL out there and could help with depth right away.

10. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    For those that are sick of Tebowmania

:lol:

11. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Tebow is to Canes fans what Brady is to Dolphins fans. Respected from afar and wish we had him on our team, but everytime you hear his name you want to throw up.

PMZQ likes this.
  12. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Really? Brady is so full of himself and a complete a-hole. Its not even close

13. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Nah, nothing to do with either ones personalities, just their playing skills and the fact they win all the time.

14. Dubfire

Dubfire Follow me @canemutiny5X

Mar 30, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Since when is Greg Cote a recruiting expert?

This really caught my ire this morning -

Link

Anyhow - appreciate the updates fellas. Keep the nuggets coming Joey.:up:

joeydolfan likes this.
  15. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Ok I got ya. :up: You could also put Tyler Hansbrough to Duke fans

16. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Greg Cote would not have a recruiting nugget if it hit him in the face. Bryce is still a verbal to Miami first and foremost. Is he looking at Oregon? Sure.

Bryce wants to see who the next OC is going to be and what type of Offense will definitely be run. Shannon will hire someone to run a pro set, its just finding the guy with the right amount of experience. I have seen all kinds of names thrown around from Mark Whipple to Kerwin Bell.

Bill Young hired as the new DC last year was a complete surprise last year and I would expect the new OC to be the same this year. Like I said, once the new OC is hired and it is confirmed he runs a pro set offense Bryce will stay a Cane.

Dubfire likes this.
  17. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    BTW, do not automatically think that we have no shot at Reuben Randle one of the top ranked WR from Louisiana, his older brother is a student at the U and is one of the major reason we are still in his top 5.

He also wants to confirm a pro style offense from the new OC before making a final decision, its what Randy is selling to recruits.

Really, when you think about it, look at all the pro bowl players we have in the NFL right now and what style of offense best prepares the players for the NFL. This is not brain surgery.

Just look at it, would Tebow have any questions hanging over him right now whether or not he will play QB in the NFL if the Gators ran a pro style offense? I am not saying he can't do it, just saying he has the same questions marks hanging over him that Alex Smith did when he came out and Smiths implosion causes those questions to hang heavier on teams minds.

Beelzebob and Dubfire like this.
  18. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    http://www.miamiherald.com/1262/story/851999-p2.html

Barry Jackson confirming my previous post with Randle. Billy Sanders is no big loss, Sims just verballed to Michigan State yesterday but is still visiting in a few weeks.

Beelzebob likes this.
  19. Dubfire

Mar 30, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Update on Brown from Rivals:

This makes me a feel a little better. Also, unlike Coker, Shannon has proven the ability to not only be a good closer but to also snag us a few signing day surprises.

As far as the OC search goes according to Rivals - here are the latest names being thrown out:
    Chuck Long, Rip Scherer, and former New York Jets Assistant Noel Mazzone.
    Schere is highly recommended by Chudzinski. Another name I havent seen is Boise State WR coach Brent Pease who is highly recommended by Shannon's close friend Dirk Koetter.

Coaches who have contacted UM about the job include: Mitch Browning, who most recently was the offensive coordinator at Syracuse. Louisiana Tech offensive coordinator Frank Scelfo has also reportedly spoken to Shannon but is not believed to yet be a serious candidate.

20. Dubfire

Mar 30, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    oops - can u delete the dupe Marty

21. Dubfire

Mar 30, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    got it

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I could see Brown going to Missouri.

23. Dubfire

Mar 30, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    :ban:

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

I think he could though. He loves the atmosphere there and he said he felt really welcomed. He also said that he'd love to fill Jeremy Maclin's shoes and one thing that stood out to him from other visits is that they want to use him in the pass game as well. He really liked that.

25. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Sorry Alen, from everything I have heard it will come down to Miami and Oregon for Bryce. He is only waiting for the U to choose an OC before he makes his final decision.

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Don't be sorry. I'd love to be wrong and I probably will be. I was just saying that he likes it over there a lot from what I know. I wouldn't count them out though.

27. Dubfire

Mar 30, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Man after seeing him impersonate Reggie Bush in the Army game - losing him will be like a huge kick in the peaches.

PMZQ likes this.
  28. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Granted Bryce is the type of big game changing back we have been missing for some time now, Lamar Miller and Mike James are not exactly dog meat either. Both are big, physical runners with some wiggle.

The greatest concern I have for this recruiting class in the OL, until we get some talented big uglies moving opponents out of the way our offense would still be average.

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    No worries. Lamar Miller is still there. I'm a huge fan of his game.

30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Jakhori Gore is expected next year as well.

31. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Absolutely, there is some sick talent coming out of South Florida next year, especially at the RB and WR position. Would like to have either Randle or Debose this year, but if not, I am not overtly concerned. We had a great WR class last year and next years class could be even deeper.

Keep an eye out for Jose Jose (not a typo), seems to be a lock for the Canes for the 2010 class and he looked even better with the switch to Center from Guard this year.

32. Dubfire

Mar 30, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Yeah I agree. Theyre hitting the Juco's pretty hard for some big time OL.

The ones in recent classes have not exactly panned out.

33. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    The only JUCO OL I was aware they would possibly really want is Andrew Tiller. With the class we have so far with Brandon Washington, Jermaine Johnson, Jared Wheeler, and Corey White, throw in 2 from Peter White, Malcolm Bunche, Marcus Hall, Bobbie Massey, Quinton Washington, Andrew Tiller and Daniel Campbell and I will be happy.

If we can not get at least 2 of the last 7 I mentioned, then we need another recruiter for OL.

34. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    My guess is Sanders converts to DE for us considering 4-star TE Pressley committed in addition to a solid TE crew.

35. Dubfire

Mar 30, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    OC Finalists to be Interviewed

Got this from Rivals:

Article says the hire is expected to come from the NFL as Shannon prefers a coordinator who runs pro-set offense.

36. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Now I have heard different. That we may not like him because he is a Cheatriot, that off the field he is a very likeable guy, and is well liked in the NFL community. He is is also seen regularly at charity events.

Is this wrong or what is the real story ?

37. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    God this better be good. It had better not be a Nix type of guy.

38. Dubfire

Mar 30, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    One name that has the board excited is Mark Whipple who is currently an offensive assistant coach with the Philadelphia Eagles. Although Ferman hasn't confirmed nor heard this name - some on the board who are in the know think he's in the running.

Here's his bio from NFL.com

39. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2009/01/vernon-sticking.html

Dubfire and Beelzebob like this.
  40. Dubfire

Mar 30, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    OL Marcus Hall

This would be a huge get and would cement Brown's commitment some.

I'm not keeping my hopes up. Kids from this area almost always end up at Ohio State or Michigan.

We will have the last crack at him as we'll be his last visit. We'll see. (fingers crossed)

From Rivals.