1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official MLB Trade Rumors - News Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by BigDogsHunt, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    A career .182 hitter at Dodger Stadium and an Atlanta Brave with Boras as his agent? Hmm, I wonder who else is like that...

2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Jon Niese and Bobby parnell look sooooo much better now that Omar views them as "untouchable"..which is like the kiss of death by the way. he did the same thing with kevin Mulvey at last years deadline. Now hes in Minnesota compliments of Johan.

Id love to get Bay but I cant see a way in hell we get him without moving Fernando. And I wouldnt include fernando for Bay. Shoot I wouldnt even include him for Matt Holliday. 19 and rippin it up....He'll be here soon enough if he can stay healthy long enough. He may have Reyes-esque trouble staying healthy for a year or two but hes going to be a monster :yes:

3. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

I think you're right on pretty much all counts there. I don't think I'd move Fernando for either of those guys. But for whatever it's worth, I'd take Bay over Holliday. Holliday's another Coors Field creation; he's got a career .791 OPS away from Coors. In his defense, he's gotten better, but even this year, his .860 road OPS is nice enough, but not exactly the stuff of the 7 year, $120M contract he's probably going to be looking for. Bay's contract demands will be more in line with reality.

Edit: Niese's numbers are pretty impressive this year: 112/44 K/BB ratio, and most impressively, just 5 HR in 124 IP. Parnell, however, not as much. 78/51 K/BB ratio? Ugh. I don't know how you label a 23 year old at AA untouchable with a K/BB ratio like that.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  4. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Manny Ramirez Rumors: Monday

Manny said he would approve a trade, if the Red Sox can find one. Todd Zolecki noted that the Phillies have discussed Manny internally.

Dan Graziano and Ed Price of the Newark Star-Ledger talked to an official who says the Mets and Phillies are both in "serious pursuit" of Ramirez. If so, why do both teams have no interest in Adam Dunn? Graziano and Price think Ramirez would command big-name prospects like Fernando Martinez or Lou Marson.

Sean McAdam says the Sox have spoken to four teams about Manny: the Phillies, Mets, Diamondbacks, and Dodgers. McAdam says Ramirez will waive his no-trade clause for a guarantee that his options will be declined. Additionally, the Red Sox might consider kicking in money to get better players in return.

Ken Davidoff of Newsday says the Mets aren't interested in Ramirez and continue to eye Raul Ibanez. However, the asking price may be too high.

Paul Hagen finds no indication that the Phillies are interested. And unless Pat Burrell is included in a deal, he or Ramirez would have to play right field. Umm...no.

Jeff Passan thinks that all things considered, Manny still might be worth keeping in Boston for $20MM in '09.

I just think its all an annual tease....dont see him going anywhere in '08, and think its highly unlikely the Sox dont pick up the option for '09, although that might lean toward 50/50 if Manny keeps being Manny and opens mouth and inserts foot!

5. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Guy is talented, but he's also insane. He'd be a nice bat for some team (Mets?) but they'd have put up with his attitude. I mean if you cant get along with Mike Scioscia there has to be something wrong with you lol. Seems like the only time he was happy was in Seattle, he should have tried harder to stay there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3509805

6. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Tex traded to the Angels?

7. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yup its official...

Teixeira heading to Anaheim

Mark Teixeira, 1B ATL
    News: The Braves have agreed to trade first baseman Mark Teixeira to the Angels for infielder Casey Kotchman and a pitching prospect Steve Marek (AA), sources have told CBSSports.com Senior Writer Danny Knobler.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  8. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I actually think Kotchman has a good future ahead of him but Angels are thinking about the now and I don't blame em.

9. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I really hoped it would be none of the above (though I'd actually prefer it if they took Jones :wink2:). Kemp, Loney, and Ethier have been just great for us but I guess McCourt wants splash. Considering the fate all the high profile players who come here, I'm slightly weary.

http://cbs2.com/local/manny.ramirez.trade.2.783266.html

10. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Jarrod Washburn Rumors

The Rockies are indeed interested in Washburn. Tim Redding and Josh Fogg are a couple other names on the radar.

Ken Rosenthal characterizes the Fogg interest as legit, but feels that the Ms are just trying to stir Colorado's interest in Washburn.

According to Ken Davidoff of Newsday, the Yankees' trade talks for Jarrod Washburn are dead. The Yanks will turn to Ian Kennedy, Phil Hughes, and maybe Freddy Garcia. They can also rekindle the Washburn talks in August if they think he will clear waivers (most do).

I am surprised other teams aren't looking more seriously at Washburn given the weak market for starting pitching. The Rockies, White Sox, and Mets would all make sense.

---------

Woohoo to the Yanks news!!!!!!

11. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Rays Deep In Talks For Bay

According to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Pirates are deep into talks with the Rays and other teams about left fielder Jason Bay. However, no "truly elite prospect" has been offered yet, and the chances are better than 50-50 that Bay stays. And who would move to right field for the Rays - Bay or Carl Crawford? The Braves are considered out of the mix.

Shortstop Jack Wilson seems likely to stay, while reliever John Grabow will probably be dealt.

12. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Manny Ramirez Rumors: Wednesday

Ken Rosenthal says Manny is a longshot to be traded. As it was all along. Sounds like the Red Sox will decline his '09 option.

Late last night, Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus had an interesting rumor:

I imagine the Red Sox would be willing to eat all of Ramirez's salary to get a player like Hermida. As Carroll said, it seems unlikely.

13. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Let's round up some odds and ends for a rumor-packed day.

The Reds had a scout at a recent Rangers-A's game; they may have been eyeing a Texas catcher.

Billy Beane is still fielding offers for Huston Street; Jon Heyman mentions the same teams we've heard in the past.

Ed Wade told Miguel Tejada he's staying put.

Gregg Zaun would welcome a trade. GM J.P. Ricciardi responded by saying "someone has to want you." The Marlins could make sense; their catcher hunt may hinge on Matt Treanor's decision whether to have surgery.

John Maine has a mild rotator cuff strain. I wonder if this will affect the chances of long-term extension talks with Maine. Anyway, it'd make sense to bring in some rotation insurance.

Geoff Baker says the Brewers, Marlins, and Tigers are eyeing Eddie Guardado.

Hank Blalock is on the DL and off the trade market.

Ken Davidoff believes the Mets are scouting George Sherrill.

14. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Red Sox In On Teagarden

According to Peter Gammons, the Red Sox are in on Rangers catcher Taylor Teagarden. The Rangers have the game's best catching surplus, and it's resulting in plenty of inquiries.

Teagarden, 24, is hitting .234/.348/.404 in 53 Triple A games. He's dealt with elbow soreness in the past, but he's healthy now.

15. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    For how little interest there seems to be, I am shocked that Sea is holding out for more stuff. For a team that is in last place and with a pretty high payroll... I thought for sure they would be in sell everything now mode.

16. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Maddux Won't Go To Philly

According to Scott Miller of CBSSports.com, the Phillies had the Padres ask Greg Maddux if he would accept a trade there. Maddux told Padres GM Kevin Towers he would not. Towers continues to be limited to the West Coast as he tries to move Maddux's remaining $3.3MM salary.

Tom Krasovic says the Dodgers are the one plausible option, and they're not interested at this time. They should probably look into it though. The Giants could be buyers, but only with an eye on '09.

17. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Cubs Eyeing Raul Ibanez

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Cubs are discussing trades for a left-handed hitter, including Raul Ibanez. He is a curious fit and would leave the Cubs with questionable outfield corner defense. But, the Mariners have to be happy that a suitor has emerged aside from the Mets. The price remains two quality prospects.

Rosenthal says the Cubs could also turn to bench players or just stand pat. The Cubs already have a decent lefty-hitting bench player in Mike Fontenot.

One left-handed hitter out there generating zero trade talk is Baltimore's Aubrey Huff (.916 OPS). Can't explain that one.

18. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Graziano's Latest: Dunn, Putz, Laird

Time to check in with Dan Graziano of the Newark Star-Ledger.

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2008/07/should_new_york_mets_pursuit_o.html

Graziano calls Adam Dunn "the man without a rumor." Even with his flaws this one is hard to figure out.

John Maine's rotator cuff strain has the Mets looking at pitching. Graziano suggests names like Livan Hernandez, Paul Byrd, and Jarrod Washburn.

The Mets have talked to the Tigers about Scott Schoeneweis. They'd have to replace him, maybe with Arthur Rhodes or Eddie Guardado.

The Mariners will listen on J.J. Putz, but he won't come cheap. The Cardinals and Red Sox have interest. Putz is signed through '09 with an option for '10.

The Yankees and Marlins have asked about catcher Gerald Laird, while many teams like Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

The Braves are willing to trade Will Ohman and Mark Kotsay.

19. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    God no @ Arthur Rhodes. Please. In the postseason I want to face him not acquire him.

20. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Gregor Blanco has assured Kotsay's departure. Another decent pickup that is moot because of injuries...

21. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    You may get your wish:

Rhodes To The Marlins?

Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald is reporting that the Marlins could be close to landing Arthur Rhodes from the Mariners.

The Marlins could be closer to a deal to acquire left-handed reliever Arthur Rhodes from the Seattle Mariners, who are looking only for a midlevel minor-league prospect in return. Rhodes, 37, is 2-0 with a 3.83 ERA in 35 relief appearances this season.

Yesterday we heard that the Marlins were targeting several left-handed relievers and it looks like they have narrowed their focus to Rhodes.

With many teams balking at the asking price for relievers such as Brian Fuentes and George Sherrill, we have heard of several teams showing more interest in Rhodes (ie. the Brewers).

22. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    rhodes isn't bad this year, he was doing good at the begining of the season im not sure how he is doing now.....i say trade JJ for a top prospect, we have brandon morrow who is unhittable....

i'd like to see washburn, ibanez, putz, johjima, and maybe even ichiro traded

23. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yankees Acquire Ivan Rodriguez

In a surprise move, the Yankees have acquired catcher Ivan Rodriguez from the Tigers for Kyle Farnsworth according to Buster Olney. The move should save Detroit some cash and could help their 'pen.

Nice pickup for New York, plus he's a Type A free agent if they want to risk offering him arbitration.

24. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    whens the trading deadline again?

bigdog has there been any talk about griffey getting traded? im going to denver in august and probably seeing a rockies vs reds game but if griffey is gone, i dont wanna go as bad

25. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    July 31st. nah, the Griffey talk died off.....

With Ryan Freel done for the year, the Reds currently have four healthy outfielders on the roster. That means if they traded Adam Dunn or Ken Griffey Jr. right now, you're looking at Corey Patterson playing every day. Personally, if you're looking ahead to next season, who cares if Patterson is playing everyday in August and September? But the chatter has died down.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
    King Felix likes this.
  26. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    I saw on espn bot line that the pirates marlins and redsox are in talks with a 3 player trade involving Manny Ramirez. My guess is that boston gets Jason Bay Marlins get Manny and Pirates get the short stick (fingers crossed for H Ramirez)

27. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    wow i really doubt hanley gets traded...maybe cameron maybin or andrew miller.

28. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/graziano/index.ssf/2008/07/mlb_trade_winds_530_pm_update.html

The Yankees have been getting calls on Carl Pavano. One unconfirmed rumor has the Mets interested.

The Yankees, Tigers, Rangers, and Rays have talked to the Mets about Scott Schoeneweis. The Mets might prefer to acquire a replacement if they move Schoeneweis. Arthur Rhodes is one possibility if he doesn't end up in Florida. Geoff Baker believes it's down to the Marlins and Brewers for Rhodes, with the other getting Eddie Guardado.

The Yanks might have to acquire a reliever now that they've dealt Kyle Farnsworth. Rhodes isn't on their radar though.

-----

Will wonders never cease????

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  29. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    There is absolutely no way the Marlins trade Hanley in any deal this year. Beyond this year I have no idea, but as the years go on obviously the chances increase. I'd still say he isnt going anywhere for at least the next three years though.

30. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl

:sidelol::sidelol:

31. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Dodgers Interested In Maddux, Byrd

The Dodgers have their eye on Greg Maddux as well, according to Buster Olney. Names are being exchanged.

From Ken Davidoff of Newsday:

The Indians are likely to trade starting pitcher Paul Byrd, with the Dodgers among the reported suitors.

The interest is surprising; the Dodgers were not thought to be after starting pitching. Byrd has about $2.7MM left on his contract and carries a 4.93 ERA in 20 starts.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  32. TheAnswer385

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    Miller sucks he has had a terrible season.

33. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    he's still a top prospect...if you wouldn't take him in the deal your crazy imo...especially the pirates

34. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Miller doesn't suck. He just can't throw strikes as much as he should, but he is young and usually controll comes with more experience.

Plus I think his knee issue may have been bothering him a while. Notice how early in the season he was only throwing upper 80's on the gun when he has been known as a low to mid 90's guy? Then his velocity went up for a few weeks and he has a stretch of great games, but then it dips again, he gets smacked around and has this knee issue that makes him miss a few starts.

It's pretty much the same thing that happened to Anibal, his arm was an issue all year which cause him to pitch poorly. We only find out about that after he hurts it worse.

35. TheAnswer385

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    hes not worth giving bay up over

36. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    i don't even think he is in this deal, i dont think maybin is either...lol you should hope he is in the deal because you wont find a better prospect for this deal....this is deal is just waiting for the commissioner right?

37. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    From what I've heard yes, just up to the commissioner. If he wants a better prospect from us it would have to be Volstad (who has been amazing) or Sean West (who is an untouchable). So Miller is probably the best he can hope for.

38. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Jon Lester says hi. Miller is good, he has good stuff, as he keeps pitching he'll get better. Not every pitcher is a superstar the minute they step into the MLB. There are very few Verlanders/Linecums.

Alex44 likes this.
  39. TheAnswer385

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    I wouldnt mind miller in a package deal but who knows like felix said hes probably not even involved. I think Grabow is in there somewhere also with Bay.. I know the sox were looking into him recently.

40. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Horrible. I don't think we need them and especially not Byrd.