1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OFFICIAL NBA Draft Thread.

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Section126, Jun 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Really? Give up on him this early? I think they should keep him around for at least three or four years and then if he is failing to live up to their expectations, trade him.

2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I'm not so sure about that. Love can play. And without having to suffer through classes, he should have plenty of time to get in shape. Though I guess my view is tainted by the fact that I go to UCLA, watched every UCLA game, and got a big nasty bruise on my shoulder at Wooden Center courtesy of Mr. Love.

I think Westbrook is a better fit for them. To be fair, Westbrook had the edge in their seasonal matchups. Bayless was held under his season averages in both games and Westbrook notched up 21 in 10-13 shooting in their first meeting.

Agreed. That's why he should've stayed another year. If he doesn't stick to Miami's roster, it would be a bad move in hindsight for him.

I think he's more Kenny Thomas or a Reggie Evans than those two. Undersized PF who doesn't exactly have the offense to make it as a SF. Very questionable pick unless they plan to develop him for a very long-term project. When a certified idiot correctly predicts a pick, what does that say about the GM? :tongue2:

Don't be. Westbrook's a very good prospect and probably the better fit for their team. Hard-nosed defense augmented with highlight reel dunks.

3. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    If his offensive game doesn't improve get rid of him. I'm not ready to give up on him just yet but he didn't show enough to warrant a 7th pick.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah he can get in shape, he reportedly dropped fifteen pounds of fat and replaced it with muscle. He's at 250 now and I would think he needed to gain about thirty five to forty pounds.

I agree about Westbrook. They say that his only question is his experience. He didn't start until his junior year in High School and then wasn't a starter at UCLA. The times he did replace Collison because of injury, he played very well. I personally like him and think he is a good player. I am just not sure if he is worth the fourth overall selection but you have to make reaches to get the guys you want and I could understand Seattle in that situation.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Well I see what your saying but he was a rookie. That's the same thing when a reporter comes out and says Ginn was a bust at the ninth pick but he has only one season under his belt and we end up bashing him. I think that Brewer is in the same situation here. I think you should give him maybe up to year three or four and then if he is still not producing, you get rid of him. Again JMO.

6. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    He's not enough to warrant getting picked there but he is a worthy project. May have to spend some time in the D-Leagues.

He dropped out of class to get that because our classes can be time-consuming and intense (even if they are "tailor-made" for athletes, you still have us GPA-mongers going after them and wrecking curves). And Howland prefers to drill players on the fundamentals and awareness rather than physical shape. But I think his weight is fine at 250 and really shouldn't go more than 270.

Oh he's starting-caliber all right. I always wanted him over fumble-bumble Collison, who gets stuck in traps more than mice in a mousetrap factory because he over-dribbles and has 0 court sense. I can surmise that they've seen tape of Westbrook vs. Bayless whenever we wallop the *****cats and saw that Westbrook outplayed him.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    You may be correct about the assessment on Kevin Love. You've seen more than me. I can't say that I've seen as much of him as you but I do feel that he may not be starting caliber in this league. The one thing that I do feel that will help him tremendously in his progress is his father. As you know, his father was a former NBA player for four years I believe. He shows him all the old-school game tape of McHale and others. I think that will be a big benefit for him. As for how it plays out for him in the future, I'm not sure. We have our opinions on him but I do wish him luck.

I liked Collison. He seemed to make good shots out there. He's very fast. I think Westbrook will be a good player in this league when he does get accommodated to the level of playing style. I think its safe to say that Bayless and Westbrook are really good prospects. As for who may end up the better of the two, it will depend on the supporting cast imo but that's a whole different topic.

8. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I think he projects well to a David West level of PF. Really started to develop a better jumper which will help. Combined with Al Jefferson, should be effective there if he can keep up his work ethic.

Collison can make shots and be speedy but he just cannot operate an offense effectively as a true PG should. Really makes some boneheaded plays too and not as effective as Jordan Farmar was. If Collison continues to suffer from this, Holliday and Co. are waiting in the wings.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I guess you could say hes similar to David West. Good comparison.

Holliday? Not familiar with him. Is he a new prospect who just got on campus? Yeah Farmar was very good at UCLA. I am not a fan of him but he was impressive in his stay there.

10. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Jrue Holiday, a 5 star prospect coming in next year. From what I've heard, he's definitely as fast as Collison, much stronger, and definitely a better floor general already coming out of high school. Really love our incoming class. 2 5-stars and 3 4-stars.

alen1 likes this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Trades all over the place:

Greg Oden is eligible to win the Rookie of the Year award in the upcoming season.
    Since he didn't play a game for the Blazers last season, he's technically still a rookie. And that's bad news for Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley and O.J. Mayo.

The Cavaliers purchased the rights to center Sasha Kaun from the Seattle SuperSonics.
    Kaun was selected with the 56th pick by the Sonics and is expected to play in Moscow for the next several years.

The Cleveland Cavaliers acquired the draft rights to forward Darnell Jackson from the Miami Heat in exchange for the lower of the Cavaliers two second round picks in the 2009 NBA Draft. They also purchased the rights to center Sasha Kaun from the Seattle SuperSonics.
    Both Jackson and Kaun were four-year members of the Jayhawks and helped lead Kansas to the 2008 NCAA Championship and four straight Big 12 regular season titles. It's hard to say if either player will have fantasy value, but we'll call it doubtful for now.

The Blazers have traded Darrell Arthur, whom they took with the 27th pick, to Houston for the rights to Nicolas Batum, who was taken with the 25th pick.
    The Blazers also gave the Rockets a second round pick, which was the 33rd pick and Joey Dorsey. This deal has been confirmed, and the Rockets then moved Arthur to Memphis.

The San Antonio Spurs acquired the draft rights to forward Malik Hairston, Golden State's 2009 second-round pick and cash considerations from the Phoenix Suns in exchange for the draft rights to guard Goran Dragic.
    Hairston, a shooting guard from Oregon, was taken 48th overall in the draft Thursday night. Dragic, a point guard from Europe, was chosen three picks before Hairston.

The Rockets drafted Nicolas Batum with the 25th pick in Thursday's draft and then traded him to Portland for the No. 27 and 33 picks, and then flipped numbers 27 and 28 with Memphis. The Rockets ended up with Donte' Greene of Syracuse and Joey Dorsey of Memphis.
    Greene, a 6-11 forward, was chosen by the Grizzlies with the 28th pick in the first round, while Dorsey was taken with the No. 33 pick acquired from Portland. The Grizzlies ended up with Darrell Arthur in the deal. "We thought we got the two best players who were available at that point," Rockets GM Daryl Morey said.

The Nuggets, who entered the night with no picks, traded a 2009 second-round pick to Chicago for Arkansas guard Sonny Weems, who had been taken by Chicago with the 39th pick in the second round.
    Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien is very excited about the move. "World class," Warkentien said. "He’s so athletic that he can fit in the NBA as an energy guy." Don't expect him to offer fantasy value this season. This was part of a three-team deal, in which Chicago got center Omer Asik, drafted No. 36 by Portland. The Trail Blazers got Denver's pick, a 2010 Bulls' second-round pick and New York's 2009 second-round pick, which had belonged to Chicago.

All via Rotoworld.com

Regan21286 likes this.
  12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Damn that's impressive. I'll try to remember his name. Thanks.

13. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Alen (or anyone really), is Darnell Jackson any good?

How is he different then Hickson?

And it says Kaun will play in Moscow next year most likely, why would they even want him.

(I am unfamiliar with player rights/development in the NBA, so pardon my ignorance).

14. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    he didn't though. he got taken earlier and we traded for Chalmers.

15. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    With what?

16. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I hate listening to Derrick Rose speak.

17. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    The only Blazers we'd be interested in are Greg Oden, Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Jerryd Bayless. All of those players are obviously untouchable, so Portland wouldn't even make for a decent discussion on the phones with Riley.

You guys are fine at the 3 and 4 spots, though. Absolutely fine. :up:

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    No problem bro. I'm not too sure on Darnell Jackson but I have read up on him. His strong points are his complete offensive package. He has a face up shot or he can back you down. He takes very good shots and knows his limits on offense. He had one of the highest field goal percentages in college this past season. He can also shoot from long range. On defense, he doesn't seem to position himself too well but that can be worked on. I think he could be a good player for you guys in about two years. He definitely fills the offensive void in your big men (other then Z).

The difference between Hickson and Jackson is the defense. I believe Hickson is a good defender which Jackson lacks. Another difference is the body size and strength. Hickson has an advantage over that.

I'm not too sure why they went after Kaun. I believe they traded two second rounders for him. I would be surprised to see him in the NBA in the next two years. He is making the same money that next years pick are going to make. If he does choose to come to the NBA in the future, he can be a solid bench player for them.

I think Cavs had a solid draft. Nothing spectacular, just pieces that can get contribute when needed.

Lol. I rather listen to Robin Lopez who is hilarious LOL.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  19. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Chad Ford's draft grades are out. You can find them HERE

Highest Grade: Miami Heat, A+
    Lowest Grade: Dallas Mavs, D

20. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    cant view it at work what did seattle get?

21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Russell Westbrook, PG/SG/, UCLA.

They got themselves a good prospect in Westbrook. The other man they got was a ninteen year old big man who will be a VERY good defender in about three to four years according to one international scout. I'm not familiar with the other players they acquired other than Kaun who will be in Moscow for the next few years.

EDIT: I see you meant' grade lol. Here it is:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
    unluckyluciano likes this.
  22. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I don't think I'd ever take back that trade. Though I wish we could've kept Pau's brother, who's like yin to Pau's yang. But oh well.

23. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    damn kevin pritchard is a damn genius....he had bayless 4th prospect on the draft, and got him with basically 13...he put smoke screens and got charlotte to pick augustin thinking we were gonna trade with them...he knew indiana was picking a pg, he told the media, he also knew bayless...so i guess they already had a trade going with 11 and diogu for 13 and jack...that was agree'd before the draft...i think thats why larry bird was so pissed when they interviewed him on ESPN because he didn't think bayless would slip so far.....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
    alen1 likes this.
  24. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

Kevin Pritchard is doing a phenomenal job with that team. Every draft day, he comes out smelling like a rose. They absolutely stole Bayless. Complete theft.

King Felix likes this.
  25. phunwin

Since I've been offline for the last week (here's why), here are some of my thoughts, late to the party as I am.

The two teams who made out the best? Might have been the Hawks and Lakers. The Hawks traded their pick to Phoenix as part of the Joe Johnson deal, and it kept rolling over until now. Hard to argue that they would get a better player in this draft than Johnson. Ditto the Lakers, who got Gasol for what now appears to be Javaris Crittenton, Marc Gasol and Donte Greene.

On the flip side, that Jason Kidd trade gets worse and worse for Dallas. I ripped it at the time, and I feel completely vindicated by the results. Am I nuts or would Donte Greene have been a really good fit for them at 21?

On the whole, this draft sucked. There are very few impact players in this draft, and I think the best you can hope for in many cases is a decent rotational player.

For this reason, I liked what Boston, Detroit and San Antonio did. Those teams are all in a position where it was unlikely that any guy they picked was going to help them, so what's the point of picking a guy who might, potentially, be a decent 10th man for them? So they all went for boom or bust types. Personally, I thought Chris Douglas-Roberts was a perfect fit for the Pistons, but I guess not.

Hard to fault the Heat for what they did: Michael Beasley and Mario Chalmers are a very nice haul. I'm still not convinced that they're going to have Beasley on opening day, and I think they'll look at trading him, but if it didn't happen by now, it's not too likely. I really don't understand Riley's reticence to take Beasley. If it's a question about his maturity, that's somewhat viable, but the idea that they didn't need Beasley because they had Udonis Haslem is ridiculous. It's like turning down a brand new Ferrari because you already have a 2005 Mazda 6. Chalmers should be a solid rotational player; I view his upside as a homeless man's Sam Cassell, which I'll take as a third guard. So, in a draft with a few guys who will be decent rotation players, and very few stars, the Heat got one of each. That's a solid night's work.

The Blazers, as usual, did phenomenal work. I don't quite know what the Pacers were thinking with that deal, though. Seems to me that Bayless was a great fit for that team, and God knows they need some insurance against a TJ Ford injury. I think playing Bayless and Ford together would be a fine duo, and great for a change of pace. But no, they decided to go "conventional" and get a pure 2, which is fine except that Mike Dunleavy was shooting the lights out last year, and you can't play him at the three, since Danny Granger plays there. Bayless, a combo guard, was a perfect fit for that team, he fell into their laps, and they blew it. I liked the O'Neal/Ford trade, though, for them.

I like the Clips taking Jordan in round 2. That guy fell like a rock, and in round 2, there's no risk. Great pick there. Eric Gordon, though, I'm less sold on. He sounds like the second coming of Cuttino Mobley, and that's not necessarily a compliment. Another team that should have taken Bayless.

If the Bobcats have a defined plan, I'd love to hear it.

Love the Nets' draft, but that Jefferson for Yi trade is going to bite them in the *** if they don't sign LeBron James. Of course, if they do, it all works out. We'll see.

I like the Gallinari pick for the Knicks, by the way, even if the fans didn't. I kept hearing "aw, this is Noo Yawk, you gotta take an IMPACT player!" Bad news; the Knicks are going to suck this year and probably next year too. The Knicks were right to take the player with the most upside in the draft. And I like Gallinari. I like the fact that he has succeeded at a high level of basketball. This isn't like some potential laden kid who was buried on the bench for a second rate Serbian team (you know, like Darko Milicic).

Of the second round guys, one I really liked was Luc Richard Mbah a Moute. I thought Orlando would have been wise to find a way to get him; it seemed to me that they were a frontcourt banger and a defensive stopper at the 2/3 away from being really good. If they'd picked Darrell Arthur at 22, then found a way to get LRMaM, they would have been in great shape.

AbideN703 likes this.
  26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Congratulations again for the new family member. :up:

I believe the Pacers had a deal in place prior to the draft and they agreed on it. They didn't expect Bayless to fall.

I agree about the Gallinari pick. I think he's going to be a good player, not great but good. Lol at the Serbian comment, I'm part Serbian and know Darko. I believe he starts on the national team. That was pretty funny though.

27. phunwin

Thanks!

Really? I don't know about that, I'd be surprised if the Pacers and Blazers worked that deal prior to the draft. I suppose it's possible. Maybe the Blazers did the deal assuming that one of the point guards would be there at 11, but not knowing who. I suppose if they did work it out beforehand, there wasn't much for the Pacers to do but curse the Blazers continued good luck and pull the trigger.

28. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah they did do it prior to the draft. I have no clue why you would agree to such a deal. Pritchard stated that Indiana would pick a PG prior to the draft (according to the link King Felix posted).

29. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I love the Nets draft, but look for more trades.

30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, Carter is on the block I believe.

31. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    They have flirted with trading him, but I don't think he will go, they still need star power. Kristic will be a sign and trade deal, he is going to be good but they don't need him now with the players they drafted.

32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I like Krstic. He's a good player. Who would be up front for you guys? Sean Williams and Lopez? Btw, HUGE fan of Sean Williams. The kid is an absolute monster.

33. phunwin

They're counting on getting their star power from LeBron James in two years.

Carter's contract, age, and the fact that he takes contact about as well as a ballerina make him a hard sell. One hard foul and he's shooting jumpers the rest of the game. However, in this market, with so little out on the free agency front, they might be able to find a taker. For all his flaws, Carter has become a pretty efficient passer, and he's still an excellent shooter who plays well in the open court.

34. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Vince Carter can be a third wheel on a championship team.

Second option..the "man"? you are screwed then.

35. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Anderson the new drafted kid and Josh Boone who had a good year.

alen1 likes this.
  36. phunwin

I agree. In an ideal world, he'd be the third wheel on a team with a powerful big man and a freewheeling point guard who can run the floor and make timely shots.

37. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Harris and Brook Lopez can score, they just need a Oakley type underneath also.