1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official NBA Truth & Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by alen1, Jun 13, 2008.

1. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

The Cavs are rumored to want Redd BADLY, but I'm not sure what they'd give up for him. My thought would be Varaejo, Jones, Snow and a #1 pick, which works under the cap. The Bucks would gain some cap flexibility, since all those guys would be off next year, except Varaejo, who has a player option. Varaejo would be a good fit in their defense-free frontcourt. In Cleveland, he and Ben Wallace can't play together, since the Cavs would be playing 3 on 5 on offense. But in Milwaukee, the Bucks have a lot more offensive talent (Bogut, Villaneuva, Yi) than defensive stoppers up front. Varaejo might be the ticket.

Redd's lousy contract (3 years at $49M) means this deal might be palatable for the Bucks, even if they come out a loser on the talent side of it. However, Redd is JUST what the Cavs need, and what they thought they were getting with Szczerbiak (apparently not), a deadly outside shooter who can make opposing defenses pay for doubling LeBron when he goes to the hole. James is a good passer, and should be able to play the drive-and-kick 2 man game with Redd to a T.

2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Freaking Minny going after Mayo :(

Great another SG.

3. phunwin

Aren't you a Cavs fan? If so, why do you care?

As for the T-Wolves, it's pretty clear that Mayo's the third best player in this draft. I don't know why they wouldn't be looking at him, even if they're not exactly starved for 2s. What's the alternative? Jerryd Bayless? Danillo Galinari? The Lopez Stiff?

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He's a Wolves fan.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  5. phunwin

Oh, OK. Well, the T-Wolves obviously have their share of 2 guards, but Rashard McCants is 6'4; Mayo's a bit bigger. Ideally, they'd play Foye at the point, Mayo at the 2, and use Telfair and McCants as backups. Foye-Mayo would give them a big backcourt, which is always nice, especially because they're small in the frontcourt. Mayo can distribute the ball fairly well as a 2, which would help the offense run smoothly.

Actually, I'd try to package McCants and Ryan Gomes for a big man. Both those guys can play, but I'm not sure they fit the long-term plan that well. You have to assume Corey Brewer would play the 3, and Al Jefferson should be a 4, with Craig Smith a fine 6th man.

What about McCants and Gomes to Charlotte for the #9 pick? With Larry Brown coming in as coach, the Bobcats probably will be looking for veterans more than kids.

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That could work, I completely forgot about Brewer being there. Foye - Mayo - Brewer - Jefferson - ? .... sounds good to me. I don't know about giving up McCants just yet. Plus, I don't see Charlotte taking them two for the ninth pick.

7. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Both Craig Smith and McCants are free agents : /. Randy Foye is a Shooting guard not very good at point. I don't think they will resign Telfair. I think they should trade down and take Bayless or DeAndre Jordan, resign McCants and Smith.

And Phun just because I like OSU doesn't make me a Cavs fan. :tongue2:

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Kings forward Ron Artest, attending Tuesday night's Game 6 of the NBA Finals, told ESPN.com that he's "99 percent sure I won't opt out of my contract" this month to become a free agent July 1.
    The Kings don't appear to be likely to extend him right away, but it does sound as if Artest will be back with the Kings this season, and will then probably become a free agent after next season.

Rotoworld.com

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Celtics News:

Kevin Garnett will be featured on a Wheaties box honoring the NBA champion Celtics.
    KG got the first interview after the final game and the Wheaties deal, despite the fact that Paul Pierce was the best Celtic in the postseason, and was named Finals MVP. While love is in the air in Boston, you have to wonder how the Truth feels about Garnett getting most of the attention.

The city of Boston will hold a "rolling rally" to honor the NBA champion Celtics at 11 a.m. on Thursday.
    The rally is expected to start at the TD Banknorth Garden, where the Celtics clinched the title late on Tuesday night with a win over the Lakers. Thursday's parade should be well attended as the city shows appreciation for the Big 3 and the team's record 17th NBA title. Thirty people were arrested in post-game celebrations last night, but there were thankfully no fatalities, as there have been in some past Patriots and Red Sox celebrations.

Finals MVP Paul Pierce will not play for Team USA in the Olympics because he's missed the last two years of summer work due to injury, said Jerry Colangelo on Tuesday. He's also going to be dealing with a sore knee this summer, as well.
    We know that Jason Kidd, Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade are all probably in based on the latest news reports, and Chauncey Billups is out. Our guess at the remaining nine spots is: Carlos Boozer, Chris Bosh, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Chris Paul, Amare Stoudemire and Deron Williams, with the final spot coming down to either Michael Redd or Joe Johnson, both shooting guards. The team will be officially announced on Monday.

Rotoworld.com

10. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Im pretty certain Mayo is the 2nd best player in the draft. i like him far far more then Beasley. Mayo basically reminds me of T-mac where as Beasley reminds me of Sam Perkins. Yikes. :no:

Imo the wolves should be looking at Kevin Love who Im starting to think will be a Knick. Why?
    The Knicks have finished dead last in blocks the last 2 years. Love is an aggressive defender who understands how to play. He would fit D'antoni's system very well and while he probably wont be the best player on the board at 6 its a multi-year rebuilding project anyway so go for the guys who fits your system while filling needs. I like a handful of the PG's I think we're looking at but I think a guy like Lawson could slide in to round 2 and we might find a steal there.

11. phunwin

Sorry. I thought you were an all-Ohio guy at heart, who happened to like the Phins.

I didn't know that McCants and Smith were FAs. That might make for interesting sign-and-trade possibilities.

If they really want Bayless, they'd better take him at 3. Seattle's planning to grab him at 4.

12. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    FYI jordan is falling like a brick. Hes projected to go around the Nets 2nd pick, the one they got from Dallas in ESPN's latest mock as well as some others.

I have a gut feeling this years draft is going to be an exciting one. :up:

13. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Wheaties should put the Big 3 on the box, seems foolish to do anything else.

alen1 likes this.
  14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The Clippers brought in guard Eric Gordon Monday, who declared for early entry into the NBA draft, after spending only one year at Indiana.
    Gordon was very impressive in displaying his shooting ability. "He’s got pro 3-point range," Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy said. Gordon is expected to be taken between the fourth and seventh pick, which belongs to the Clippers. "I put it in a cast and it’s completely healed," Gordon said of his left wrist injury.
    Source: Orange County Register

The Bobcats, who have the ninth pick in the draft, are having trouble getting big names to come to Charlotte for draft workouts.
    "Some have canceled, some have been reluctant to come," Brown said. "It's agents (trying to) control the draft, saying they don't want a kid (chosen) at a certain spot." UCLA's Kevin Love is reportedly one of the players who snubbed the Cats, but Brown has said that he'll still draft a player who has snubbed the team.

Rotoworld.com

DonShula84 likes this.
  15. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I think the Clippers really want Mayo, but know he wont be available. They had Augustine in for a work out last week so it looks like they're turning their attention to the 2nd option. Augustine/Westbrook/Gordon. I think I'd be pretty happy with any of the 3. I know the least about Westbrook, which is odd since he played in my neck of the woods, but everything I've read about his defense makes me like the possibilities. And Gordon can hopefully replace some of the scoring the Clippers will lose if Maggette walks.

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    There's a good chance it will be Westbrook. They like him A LOT. Here's his pre-draft workout with the Blazers:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YTCi4nB_moM

I think the Clippers have had him in already for a workout, I'll keep looking for the video. He's a good player that can play the one and the two I believe. Good defender.

DonShula84 likes this.
  17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Eric Gordon: NBA Draft Profile

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/story/eric_gordon_nba_draft_profile41836

Russell Westbrook: NBA Draft Profile

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/russell-westbrook-nba-draft-profile-42324

DJ Augustin: NBA Draft Profile

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/dj-augustin-nba-draft-profile-42326

DonShula84 likes this.
  18. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Im pretty sure the Clippers will take Gordon. they have Livingston coming back and though it would be silly to depend on him after a serious injury, Mobley is definitely best served as a bench player. And with Maggette likely to opt out and hit FA they really need perimeter players.

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Hey, this isn't hard to do but some of you may not have time while I do being out of school, if you guys would like information on a player who is coming out, just say so and I will look it up.

Boik14 likes this.
  20. phunwin

You know, the T-Wolves want to trade down, and Mayo is a perfect fit for the Clips. Maybe a swap like this would work?

Clips get #3 and Craig Smith (signed and traded)
    T-Wolves get #7 and Chris Kaman

21. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I've read a few times in the Times that the Clips have explored the possibility of moving up for Mayo, so perhaps.

22. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Okay don't laugh but Beasley reminds me of Charles Barkley.

Also what are the odds Miami and Chicago pass on Beasley?

Minnesota would be better off trading down and getting some more talent.

23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I read a article that the writer stated he reminded him of Sam Perkins.

I think Miami could pass up on Beasley because of OJ Mayo. He's reportedly good friends with Dwyane Wade. As for Chicago, I think they will take Derrick Rose lol.

I agree with you on Minnesota.

Oboy likes this.
  24. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Not to be rude, but why would Chicago taking Rose be funny? Or are you just commenting how Beasley may drop to 3???

I am still not convinced that Miami is not trying to smokescreen Chicago to stay away from Beasley... I guess time will tell.

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ooo, my bad. When I said "lol", I said it because I had no reason, I just think they select him.

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Rotoworld's top 14 draft projections:

1st Pick: Chicago Bulls – Derrick Rose, PG, Memphis

2nd Pick: Miami Heat – Michael Beasley, F, Kansas State

3rd Pick: Minnesota Timberwolves – O.J. Mayo, G, USC

4th Pick: Seattle Supersonics – Jerryd Bayless, G, Arizona

5th Pick: Memphis Grizzlies – Brook Lopez, C, Stanford

6th Pick: New York Knicks – Eric Gordon, G, Indiana

7th Pick: Los Angeles Clippers – Russell Westbrook, PG, UCLA

8th Pick: Milwaukee Bucks – Kevin Love, F, UCLA

9th Pick: Charlotte Bobcats – Joe Alexander, F, West Virginia

10th Pick: New Jersey Nets – Danilo Gallinari, F, Italy

11th Pick: Indiana Pacers – D.J. Augustin, PG, Texas

12th Pick: Sacramento Kings – Anthony Randolph, F, LSU

13th Pick: Portland Trailblazers – Darrell Arthur, PF, Kansas

14th Pick: Golden State Warriors – Brandon Rush, G, Kansas

Rotoworld.com

EDIT: Joe Alexander of West Virginia withdrew his name from the NBA draft.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  27. mf52dolphin

mf52dolphin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 5, 2007
    He does not remind me of Barkley at all. The guy he reminds me of is Larry "Grandmama" Johnson:pity:
    Grandmama was somewhat of an underachiever in the NBA.

28. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    We'll see Beasley might not be the force Barkley was in the post but they seem quite similar to me.

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Isn't Beasley suppose to be a 3 in the NBA? That's what I last heard.

30. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Times is talking about the Lakers possibly moving Odom.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...p-heisler19-2008jun19,0,6944691.column?page=2

alen1 likes this.
  31. phunwin

The odds that both Miami AND Chicago pass on Beasley are extremely slim. I don't know about Barkley; that's a pretty tall order. Perkins isn't quite the right fit, either. Beasley can shoot, but he crashes the boards a hell of a lot harder than Perkins ever did. And yeah, the T-Wolves would be better off trading down since 2 guard isn't a huge need.

No he didn't. Alexander's still there. Are you thinking of Chase Budinger?

Too bulky for the three. He's a four. He's not 6'10, but he's got a very long reach, so he's okay at the four spot.

alen1 likes this.
  32. phunwin

All kinds of fun rumors today...

From ESPN's Chad Ford...
    A couple new rumors from DraftExpress.com about the #2 pick:
    That Sonics deal would have to be very appealing to Miami. Even if Mayo goes #3, it seems to me that Jarryd Bayless would be a good fit with Dwyane Wade.

Also, from DraftExpress, the Kings may have promised the #12 spot to Darrell Arthur. He's been shutting down workouts of late, and that's the last place he worked out. And shockingly, Robin Lopez may have been promised the #10 pick, and not Danilo Gallinari, as previously rumored. Lopez has been shutting down workouts as well, citing a "sprained ankle" sustained in his workout for the Nets.

Javale McGee, DeAndre Jordan and Anthony Randolph are in danger of having their stock drop based on these recent developments.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
    alen1 likes this.
  33. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    What I want to know is if Redd is going to be a cav or not. I like Odom, and wouldn't mind seeing him as a cav, but then they still don't have a strong shooter like they need.

34. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

With Bynum coming back, I think it make sOdom expendable. No one should pay 14 million a year to be a fourth option.

Plus trading him to a team where you can get a nice defensive stopper or two would probably be best for L.A. going into next season.

Ariza is their second best defender and he is likely to walk. Unfortunately, Luke Walton and Radmanovich are under contract for at least three more years at a rate that is well above their heads.

However, I would caution L.A. from breaking up too much of their team. Afterall, at the beginning of the 07-08 season, no one had them even making the playoffs, let alone in the finals. They are a young team and really need to keep the core group together and grow. Players like Bynum, Farmar, Turiaf, Bryant, Fisher and Gasol cna help this team become a champion as early as next year.

35. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    It would be nice to have Odom back in South Florida. We have shooters in Wade, Marion, and Ricky Davis, and we lack solid play in the paint, which is where Odom does well. Depending on Rose or Beasely, we would have a solid offense with some teeth on the defensive end. Im sure we would have to part with Haslem and someone else, maybe Blount or Wright.

36. phunwin

I think there's a decent chance the Bucks will trade Redd. Whether the Cavs can put together enough is a bigger question. Apart from the Varaejo and expiring contracts deal I suggested a couple days ago, I don't know what they could offer that the Bucks would want.

37. phunwin

If I were the Lakers, I'd hang on to Odom unless someone came up with a big time offer. For one, his contract expires after this year. Sure he's overpaid, but that cap flexibility would come in handy next year. Second, while $14M is too much for a fourth option, remember that Odom fails miserably every time he's asked to be anything more than a third or fourth option.

38. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I read that he did? Maybe I am.

EDIT: Yeah your correct, I did get them mixed up. Thanks for the correction.

39. phunwin

No prob. I was very surprised that Budinger pulled out, considering he was almost sure to be in the top 20, and a lock for round 1. His stock will probably be higher next year, but it seems like a bit of a gamble, considering that swingmen don't carry the inherent value of a big or a true point.

40. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah hes a good player. I don't know how much his stock will be higher next year. Thought he just should have stayed.