1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official NBA Truth & Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by alen1, Jun 13, 2008.

1. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

Pistons have signed Chris Wilcox to a 2 year, $6M deal.

Can't play D...fits right in with the rest of our offseason acquisitions. Still, I like the move. That's a very reasonable price for a guy who's a very good low post scorer and rebounder. Actually, if you could somehow combine his offense and Kwame Brown's defense, and vice versa, you'd have one excellent big man and one guy who's doing something other than playing basketball for a living. I'd much rather have Wilcox for 2yr/6M than Big Baby Davis for probably 4/16 or something.

2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Hes better but he isnt that much better then Jack and for the per year price hes certainly not double the player (5M per vs 10M per). Jack has been a very good defender since his days at Georgia Tech; light years ahead of Miller in that regard. Id rather have a mediocre 3 point shooting PG who plays defense then one that simply cant play defense at this point and isnt getting younger.

Incidentally, speaking of PG's its funny you bring this up because Sessions to the Knicks is becoming a hot rumor (one that wouldn't upset me).

3. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I think youre going to come to like the Gordon/CV acquisitions more then you anticipate. Gordon is a guy not at all afraid to take the big shot and one of the few players in the league that can create his own shot anytime. CV and Gordon already have that chemistry from UConn and CV has always been a great talent and the pistons organization has always been good at getting that those types of players to excel. i could easily envision a scenario where both of those players outperform their contracts.

4. phunwin

Oh, I like the moves just fine. They got two good players who still have room for improvement and signed them to relatively reasonable contracts. The Gordon deal is a touch high, but not ridiculously so. I just think that it's hard to have two atrocious defenders on the court at the same time and still be a decent defensive team.

5. Finsanity

Finsanity New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    City of Angels
    odom wants to be a Lakers. Who wouldnt. Shaq will be back 2010 i bet too.

6. phunwin

Well, I'm sure he wants to stay with the Lakers, but I'm more sure that he knows that neither the Heat nor Mavericks will offer more than the mid-level exception, and it's very much in his financial interest to stay in LA.

BTW, Cavs have apparently signed Jamario Moon to an offer sheet, per ESPN.

7. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    But it is not in the lakers financial interests to put that offer back on the table.

I think the lakers have come to realize that.

who wants to invest what will amount to basically 20 million a year (luxury tax) for a 6th man.

8. phunwin

That initial offer was, what, 3 years and $27M, right? If the Mavs and Heat can only offer the MLE at roughly $6M per year, it makes sense for the Lakers to pull their $9M offer and offer just a little more than the MLE. Whether the Lakers want to go into the luxury tax for him is another matter.

I still think he stays with LA, but Miami's chances of getting him with the 5 year, $34M they have on the table (which reportedly includes 2 voidable years) are decent.

9. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    California has a 10% state income tax.

so they would have to be pretty close to what they offered initially.

10. phunwin

The 10% state income tax difference between CA and FL would mean, assuming a $6M contract, an extra $600,000 per year in his pocket. So basically, the Heat's $6M per year offer (roughly) would be equivalent to the Lakers offering $6.6M.

Thus, I predict the Lakers re-sign Odom for 3 years and $21M...and Odom fires his agent.

11. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    He WON'T take 3 for 21 ....over what the Heat offered. if the amounts are close...he comes back to Miami.

THAT I can guarantee you.

If the Lakers put a 4th year back on and stay around 8 to 9 a year...he will remain a laker.

But Like I said...The lakers I am sure won't want to committ almost 20 million a year to a 6th man due to luxury tax.

12. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    You are also forgetting cost of living.

7 million a year in Miami is the equivalent of about 8.2 in LA.

Odom will also have a savings since he owns a home here and would not have to rent his apartment in LA anymore.

13. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Just got a text....

"Deal is done for Carlos Boozer." gonna be announced.

14. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Herald Retracting. LOL

15. phunwin

I saw on Google, "Jazz, Heat have agreed to trade, Boozer says", then clicked on the link, and absolutely nowhere in there did it say that.

Still, where there's smoke, there's fire.

16. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    That story got pulled...they then left the Title..and then changed the title.

The original story said that the heat and jazz agreed on principle to the trade.

17. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Clipps and Wolves agreed on a trade

Wolves send Telfair, Madsen, and Craig Smith for Q-Rich.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO CRAIG SMITH!

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    WTF? Are you serious?

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Some rumours.

& Nash signed a two year extension worth $22M.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    What is the point of adding Q? Want a shooter to replace Mike Miller?

21. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Need a vet running SG now.

Not really a fan of this trade because Craig Smith is an awesome bench player. Ive said if he was 6'10 he would be the most dominant post player in the game.

22. phunwin

He has every right to be pissed. Craig Smith is a useful basketball player, unlike everyone else in that trade. The Wolves gave him up for nothing. In fact, less than nothing. They gave him up for a subpar basketball player who will take shots away from Al Jefferson and Kevin Love and take playing time away from Corey Brewer, who sorely needs some time to develop. That's a terrible trade. David Kahn is doing the impossible: he's making Kevin McHale look like a competent GM.

23. phunwin

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60691/20090720/pistons_will_add_wallace_or_nesterovic/

I hope like heck it's Nesterovic and not Wallace that they add. The only reason to sign Wallace is so that the Palace Faithful can give him a righteous sendoff into retirement, and they can do that with a 10-day contract. (I'm entirely for this, by the way.) Wallace's defense isn't that great anymore; he doesn't block shots or rebound anything close to what he used to do. He's still above average as a defensive big, but his offense is so atrocious that there's just no reason to have him on the court.

Nesterovic, however, would be an excellent signing for the vet minimum. He's a league-average center with a good face-up game. And honestly, that's going to fit pretty well with Detroit's offense at this point.

24. phunwin

Anonymous likes this.
  25. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    You like Rasho Nestorivic?

26. phunwin

I don't love him, but yeah, I think he's a decent player. His PER grades out as slightly better than a league-average center over the last three years (13.9, 16.1, 14.1). He's as ugly a shooter as you'll find, but he has a good face-the-basket game, isn't bad on the boards and is a pretty good passer for a big. He'll never make an all-star game, but for 20-25 minutes a night, he's quite effective. Putting him, Kwame Brown, Chris Wilcox, Jason Maxiell and Charlie Villanueva in the big man rotation gives Detroit the ability to trot out a LOT of different looks.

27. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I wasn't questioning his response, rather the dumb *** trade they made. I liked Craig Smith, even in college.

28. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Well economically the heats deal is better but I'd say the lakers would be the team tobeat in the west for the next 3 years or so with odom back. If they win another title the luxury tax pays for itself I don't k ow this seems like a coin flip to me as to what he's going to do
    Posted via Mobile Device

29. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    haha he was a beast in college.

Mchale did teach him some nice lowpost moves though thats all I really liked Mchale was his low post teachings.

30. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Supposedly the Knicks are preparing a 4 year offer for 26M for Ramon Sessions. Newsday, the Milwakee press (yes they have newspapers in Milwakee! I was surprised too) and Rotoworld all reported it. I'm surprised its taken anyone this long to show serious interest in a 23 year old PG who actually won Skiles over with his play on offense. Even though it would tie up a little cap space next year I wouldn't be opposed to this move if the Knicks could find a way to free up more cap space (i.e. dump curry and jeffries) for 2010.

31. phunwin

The Bucks are REALLY dragging their feet on Sessions. They seemed to signal to the league that they were set on bringing him back, when they let Villaneuva walk without so much as a contract offer, and now, a month later, they haven't done a thing. Sessions is a fine player and would be a great get for the Knicks.

32. phunwin

BTW, re: Boozer and the Heat, Phunwin's First Law of Trade Rumors is starting to rear its ugly head: as soon as you hear that something is a done deal, the longer you hear about it as "all but done", the more likely it is to collapse. This was supposedly set in stone on, what, Monday? Now it's Wednesday night, and Boozer is still in Salt Lake City. Maybe the Jazz will cave and take 50 cents on the dollar (Haslem and whoever else), or maybe they're getting to the point where they say "you know what, we've got enough undersized 4s as is, thanks."

Boik14 likes this.
  33. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Buss /Odom negotiations leaked.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGmpM_ddhGs"]YouTube - busscandy[/ame]

#1 fan likes this.
  34. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep, and lo and behold..darn...Odom isn't coming either...sorry Dwade...we tried..

Utah may calculate a deal with Chicago isn't that bad.

35. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    sessions is underrated IMO, and still is young and going to improve. they do already have jennings and ridnour, but like you said it was kind of a choice between villaneuva and sessions. they "appeared" to choose sessions

36. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    The skinny on this deal is in the Miami Heat thread.

I got a pretty good line into what is going on.

37. phunwin

Pistons turned down a Big Boobie Davis for Jason Maxiell deal. Thank God. Not sure what it is with the Celtics making off-the-wall trade offers to Detroit this offseason. I'm half expecting them to offer Davis, Rondo and Larry Bird autographed jersey for Stuckey, Prince, Daye, Maxiell, Villaneuva, Gordon and a free 5 year lease of the Palace of Auburn Hills, with an option to buy the Detroit Red Wings for $20, plus Park Place and Boardwalk.

38. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    As the only Bucks fan they are waiting for an offer to set the market. Now the Knicks are talking less than the MLE while the Bucks continue to clear cap room. I can't see them letting him walk for nothing, with a reasonable contract they will be able to turn him into something down the road and let Jennings take over.

39. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/07/23/lebron.book.ap/index.html

40. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Fame just got the best of him right there. It's hard for a 17 year old to not act like that when he is dubbed an NBA superstar at such a young age.