1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official NBA Truth & Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by alen1, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    "We had become big-headed jerks, me in particular," James said, "and we are to blame for that, but so are adults who treated us that way and then sat back and smugly watched the self-destruction."

James is still a big headed jerk.
    See last game against Magic.

Phinz420 and Anonymous like this.
  2. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

I understand the "set the market" mindset to a point. But now, the free agent cupboard is largely cleaned out, most of the money's gone; everyone knows he's looking at MLE-type money. It shouldn't be that hard to make a deal.

To his credit, he still handled it a lot better than the Gosselin family.

3. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Miller to the Blazers: Point guard Andre Miller has agreed to join the Trail Blazers, where he should replace Steve Blake as the starting point guard.
    The deal is said to be for two or three years, and essentially ruins the fantasy value of Blake. However, it now looks like Lou Williams will be the starting point guard in Philly, making him an excellent sleeper pick. Miller's numbers shouldn't change too much in Portland, making him a solid No. 1 PG option.
    Source: Philadelphia Daily News
    Related: Steve Blake, Lou Williams

I like it for Portland who needed an upgraded over Blake who is mostly a shoot-first PG who specializes in 3's. Miller should give more in the way of experience and leadership.

Knicks are dragging their feet on Sessions because Lee wants money now. I think theyre debating who to give it to. Newsday mentions a possible Lee for Boozer swap which would be outstanding for the Knicks. Lee is a hustle player, exactly what Jerry Sloan loves. I could easily see that happening...now if only the Knicks could get their first back from Utah for next year in said deal.

4. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    blake is not a shoot first pg bro.

5. phunwin

Word is that it's a matter of time before the Pistons sign Ben Wallace. As I said, I would have preferred Nesterovic, but he signed with Toronto, which was a near-perfect fit. The Pistons already have one big who can rebound, defend and be useless on offense (Kwame Brown); I'm not sure what Wallace brings apart from more toughness (something Brown, admittedly, lacks) and something the Piston faithful can get behind during what's probably going to be a rebuilding period.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    What is the deal with Watson and the Magics?

7. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Let me nominate a GM for Incompetent boob of the year.

Danny Ferry ...Cavs.

They are currently 32 mil into theTAX.

they drop around 52 in expirings going into the 2010 FA bonanza season.

They have a MLE to spend for that season.

Now...simple math will tell you that not only can the Cavs Not go out and sign a MAX player to go with lebron James....But the Cavs will have to go into the Luxury Tax to just MAX out Lebron James. LOL!

they will have to dump Delonte West FOR SURE..and maybe Mo Williams to put together a competetive offer for a sidekick for LBJ. (forget Chris Bosh)

with this I submit the following.

There will be very few franchises able to offer a MAX contract to LBJ..... Memphis, New York, Houston...and Miami.

Before..it was just a dream.....now it is a real possibility.

Cleveland since they will compete...i am sure WILL NOT fire sale during the season...but will then enter a REAL REBUILDING era thereafter.

Will LBJ stand for that? we shall see.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  8. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    let me add this...Ferry is asking management to invest in REAL DOLLARS...around 42 million for adding Shaquille Oneal.

If the Cavs flop...Ferry gets canned.

Most people do not survive 40 million dollar mistakes.

9. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    and finally....I know I just gave Knick fans everywhere serious wood.

well....now it is real. all it took was a calculator and a simple roster evaluation.

10. phunwin

I call your attention the bolded part of these two posts...

I really have nothing more to add to this discussion.

Edit: Actually, yes I do. I like what Cleveland has done this offseason. The only problem in getting Shaq is that they didn't do it at the trade deadline, when it might have propelled them past the Magic in the East Finals. And you're right, if they don't get back to the Finals, at minimum, Ferry probably gets canned. So hey, he's showing some balls, finally.

11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We will see, another day rolls by and Boozer is still in Utah and Odom is still trying to leverage the Heat against the Lakers.

As for the Cavs, Ferry caculates they are close to winning the Title, he made a play to do so, if they fail then he should be fired, if they win it all then he should be hailed for having the balls to make some moves.

12. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida

Oh...I agree.

But it is rather interesting that there are only 4 teams that CAN offer a MAX contract to LBJ and MIAMI is one of them. it also helps that Miami will be the best team out of the 4 when that decision is due.

That is also why I made the post about the Knicks fans getting wood...because that would be the most logical location...for relocation.

although ...I must say,....I sensed a great deal of fear and dread in your post about the possibility.

insert evil laugh here./

BTW..adding the worst pick and roll defender in the league wouldn't help you beat a team that beat you with pick and rolls.

13. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    BTW....On Saturday DWade made a public appeal to Lamar Odom via Twitter.....

Today.....Jorge Sedano reports that Pat Riley was on a plane TODAY to LA to meet with Odom. ....

and.......

That Lamar Odom will sign or...re-sign as it were with the Miami Heat.

check out Twitter ..Jorge Sedano Show. (he used to be a broadcaster for the Heat and is a local Heat insider)

http://twitter.com/SedanoShow

14. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Actually its quite possible the Knicks could have room to sign 2 max free agents and could go in to the luxury tax to exercise Bird rights on Harrington, Lee, Robinson, and Hughes...or any combo thereof. At that point the Knicks not the Heat, might be the most desirable location even as great as Dwayne Wade is.

All they have to do is shed the albatross that is Eddy Curry and Jared Jefferies (who wont be as hard to shed) :pity:

15. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I see Lebron James ending up in NY, but I don't know about D-Wade. It seems like he wants to stay in Miami, and they can offer him the type of money he wants.
    But, we'll see. This time next year, everything should be done.

16. phunwin

Worried? Not hardly. Hell, you said yourself that Wade and LeBron would NEVER play together. :wink2:

I don't believe LBJ leaves Cleveland. In the current era of the salary cap, no max-salary free agent has left their team yet. He can make more by staying in Cleveland than by leaving. For the same reason, I believe Wade will stay in Miami.

And because I can't resist a good flame war, I'll add that Orlando won that series in large part due to luck. Orlando won games 1 and 4 by a total of 3 points, and Dwight Howard went 9 for 11 from the line in those two games. Only the most blind Magic homer would say "yup, I expected Dwight to shoot 82% from the line in those close games, and 71% for the whole series." Either Howard somehow became a very good free throw shooter, or we experienced some well-timed statistical noise. Since he went back down to 60% against the Lakers, right about his career average, I'm going with statistical noise. The whole Magic team shot an insane 41% on three pointers for the series. Orlando's season average was 38%, but Cleveland was one of the best three-point defending teams in the NBA, so just maintaining that season average would have been impressive. To shoot over 40% from beyond the arc was insane. In short, the Magic got hot at exactly the right time. Bully for them; that's why they beat Cleveland. Nothing less, nothing more.

(If that 3% doesn't seem like much, the difference between 41% and 38% meant an additional 13.68 points in the series for Orlando, or 2.28 points per game. In a series where Orlando won two games by a total of 3 points, it matters.)

But, to the main point about Shaq, if Cleveland had more beef on the floor, Howard wouldn't have abused them so much. 26 points and 13 boards for Howard per game in that series tells me that some additional muscle was necessary to keep him in check. No, Shaq won't help much on the pick and roll, but he'll do a better job of bodying up to Howard in the low post, where Howard's offensive arsenal is limited to: a. dunk, b. throw a hook shot at the backboard at 100 mph. Against the weaker Zydrunas Ilgauskas, and the smaller Anderson Varejao, those offensive moves were more than enough. Shaq would give him a tougher time.

17. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    The "clumpy" (cap guru) on another site says that ONLY Miami will be able to afford two MAX players.

I ran the numbers..and it is tight...but right.

18. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Well you can take this scenario back to the guy on the other board and tell him hes dead wrong. If the Knicks resigned Robinson and Lee to 1 year deals per their RFA status they still have bird rights. Robinson right now is believed to be looking at 1yr 5-6M:
    The Knicks and restricted FA Nate Robinson are close to agreeing on a one-year contract worth $5 million to $6 million, according to Jonathan Abrams of the NY Times.
    Robinson recently declined a two-year, $10 million offer from the Greek team Olympiakos. Signing with the Knicks would allow him to enter the market as an unrestricted FA next summer, when more teams will have the cap space to offer long-term contracts. Signing Robinson would "almost certainly end the Knicks' flirtation with [Bucks] point guard Ramon Sessions."
    Source: NY Times
    Related: Ramon Sessions

If somehow the Knicks can get rid of Curry and Jefferies without taking back any long term contracts the only players they would have under contract for next season are Gallinari, Chandler and Jordan Hill, less then 10M allocated on a cap that will be anywhere from 50-65M. Not only could the knicks then sign 2 max players, they could conceivably, depending where the cap ends up, sign a couple of decent depth players as well as retaining bird rights on Lee, Robinson, Hughes, and Harrington.

Obviously getting rid of Curry is the first order of business but with a good half season that shouldnt be that hard. Curry is bankrupt and actually may be motivated to play. The Jefferies contract could have been moved at the deadline but Sacramento wanted Nate Robinson with it. He won't be that hard to move imo.

19. phunwin

Did your numbers account for the very strong possibility that the cap will decrease next year?

20. phunwin

BTW, Boik is right. As it stands, without Robinson or Lee, the Knicks have $21.9M committed to salaries for 2010-11. The 2009-10 cap is at $57.7M, leaving $35.8M in cap space if it stays static. For a player with 7-9 years experience, the max salary is $11M or 30% of the cap, which would be $17.3M. So, the Knicks could theoretically shoehorn two max contracts in there with $1.2M to spare, *IF* the cap stays static.

21. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Dumping Curry and Jefferies would get us to about 9M of cap space allocated with 4 players signed (Gallinari, Chandler, Hill, Toney Douglas). If the cap stays the same you could be looking a scenario where the Knicks *could* end up with Lebron and either Dirk Amare or Bosh, as well as signing another good player like a Joe Johnson.

Donnie, wherever you are you know now what needs to be done! :yes:

22. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    yes.

23. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    so you guys don;t mind having a roster with 5 players on it. (and that is "shoehorning TWO max players in there.)

just a slight oversight on your part.

BTW...LOL at Boik romantically dreaming about Lebron and Bosh and possibly Joe Johnson.

By my count that right there is almost 57 million in NEW CONTRACTS. yep....impossible.

24. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    That is not possible under any circumstance.

25. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Your numbers are off. The max contract on a 57M cap is 17.3M (30%). The Knicks would have a shade over 9M allocated to 4 players (Chandler, Gallinari, Douglas, Hill) leaving 47M + available. Maxing out 2 players and adding a 3rd very good player like a Joe Johnson for another 12-13M is very possible. Add in that we can exceed the cap while exercising Bird rights on 4 players (Lee, Robinson, Harrington, Hughes or any combo there of) and depth wont be a problem.

26. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    first of all....the cap will be around 50 to 55.

Second of all...the FA's you are talking about are NOT subject to the 30% maximum.

A players maximum is never less than 105% of the previous contract signed.

A player is only subject to the maximum the first year of a contract.

as a non holder of rights...the Knicks can only offer a contract to these guys set at the maximum for the first year (must be at least 105% of the previous contract) and then can only give a 8% raise per year while the holders can offer 10%.

So...no...not 17 million. more like 19.5 million.

re-compute.

27. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    the cap level you are talking about is projectorary and could just as easily go up if the economy rebounds. Even under the conditions of your post with a cap in the 50-55M range if the Knicks only have those 4 players signed at a total of slightly more then 9M they could still fit two max players in. Then they could exceed the cap to resign their own FA's Lee, Robinson, Harrington, and hughes. Then they would also have the mid level exception as well as the 1.9M exception to fill out their roster with players.

So maybe adding a player like Johnson was a bit much but under any circumstance we can afford two max players as long as we dump curry and Jefferies.

28. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    that is a massive "if".

under your scenario ...you have 4 "birds"...the MLE...and the TE.....that is 6 players...plus around 35 left MAYBE..(big Maybe after resigning the "birds")...I'll give you a MAX..that is 7....a 1st round pick is scaled to around 2.5 and a second is scaled to the min. so around 3.5 total (roughly) that is 9 ..you then have to convince yet ANOTHER MAX to take a pay cut into the MAX 2 category.

That would put you at 10 players on the roster with ZERO cap space available. I think league rules require that you carry at least 12.

that second "max" player is going to have to take a DRASTIC paycut even below the scale.

So hypothetically...it could be Lebron and JOE JOHNSON...but it will not be Bron and Bosh or Dirk (Amare to take a pay cut under what he makes now?)..and that is all predicated on Joe Johnson not being able to find a market and taking around 10-12 million a year.

simple math...Bron, Wade, Bosh, Dirk WILL get the Max from their teams which will mean around 20.5 per year....if they leave it will be around 19.5 for the Max.

That is a TON of money to be able to fit under the cap x 2.

The only reason the Heat Can do it is because they can go over the cap to keep Wade. That is why they are the only team that can afford it.

Cleveland can if they dump Delonte West and Mo's contract.

29. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    So under your worst case scenario with a 7M drop in cap space to 50M the knicks will have:
    4 players signed for 9m. That leaves 41M.
    Sign 2 max players.
    Split the mle by 2 players.
    Sign someone for the 1.9.
    Bird rights on 4 players.

That's 13. There is no draft pick to sign thanks to the marbury deal. And this is worst case scenario.

By the way rumors of an okafor for chandler swap have surfaced on rotoworld .

30. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    You keep saying sign TWO Max players....

dude...you are asking TWO MAX players to take MASSIVE paycuts. and if they signed MAX contracts.....would NOT fit under your cap..even if you had 41 million.

You need to have one on Bird rights. You don't.

it is sign ONE MAX (takes a paycut) and sign a MAX 2 (maybe if there is no market) That is the BEST CASE scenario.

If it sounds dire for the Knicks...it's because it is.

31. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    To do what you want...you need to trade for one of those MAX players NOW...or during the season of course.

so start working that ESPN trade machine for Amare.....

32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Okafor for Chandler. Interesting. They get more of an offensive threat.

33. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    i guess okafor has a little more offense, but it's one defensive big for another.

i still think bobcats easily get the better end of this deal.

34. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Edit: I had no idea Chandler was that young, lol. I could have sworn he was in his 30s. I still think the Hornets got the better end of this trade, but the Bobcats still got a nice player.

35. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    bobcats definitely got taller, but i still don't know who's going to play the 4. wallace is not a true 4 to me, but the roster is not bad. they have a lot of legit talent, just a lot of legit undersized talent. i think chandler will help to balance that out.

36. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    This was a monetary swap. The Bobcats get out from under Okafor's contract for 3 more years and get Chandler who is similar but so far has shown himself to be more of a health risk. Chandler has only 1 more year left I believe. Its a good deal for N.O. as they get a better defensive presence with a better offensive game.

37. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    chandler has a player option for his contract next year. okafor is injured a lot also. i'm curious to see how okafor and west play together.

38. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
  39. phunwin

Strange deal. The Hornets were ready to trade Chandler for nothing, just to get out from under the rest of his contract, then they go and deal him for a guy with a LONGER contract? They essentially did a 180 on their salary cap philosophy in the span of, what, 4 months?

40. Big E

Big E Plus sized porn star

Nov 29, 2007
    Bloomington, IN.
    Chandler not passing his physical for that trade troubles me....this dude has "Grant Hill" written all over him.