1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official WWE/TNA Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by alen1, Mar 25, 2008.

1. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    If the Rock lays down for Cena by definition he is 'putting him over'. The simple act of allowing somebody to beat you means you're putting them over. I'm not sure what you're talking about. The phrase isn't limited to vets laying down for young up and comers or anything like that. Yes there are other ways to say someone is putting over another guy but in this case I was simply speculating that the Rock would be defeated by Cena.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_professional_wrestling_terms

I completely agree about the Ryder/Ziggler match. It was my favorite of that evening outside of the main event.

Alex44 likes this.
  2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I know it may not be the technical definition of the term, but to me its not putting someone over unless it is an attempt to progress the other wrestler as a character to a place they haven't been before. So I guess in a technical sense I am wrong, but it's just my view of what the definition maybe should be. Or else every time someone lost a match they would be putting someone over, someone is ALWAYS allowing themself to be pinned because it's scripted.

muscle979 likes this.
  3. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Status Quo for the EC tonight. Punk retains and sets up his WM match with Jericho. Bryan retains and set sup his match with Sheamus. Beth retains in an actual GOOD Divas match. Cena wins, predictably and sets his sites to The Rock.

I sort of liked the gym promo for Cena. Mainly to see Tyler Black aka Seth Rollins get some screen time. He will do really well once he gets called up, along with Dean Ambrose, Claudio and Hero (Kassius Ohno).

And so we are clear, Ryder isn't a HORRIBLE wrestler, but he is very vanilla in the ring. He doesn't really have a unique style or anything that stands out, which is really sort of death for a wrestler. You take away the gimmick and he is nothing. The greats all had a style attached to them that fit their character. Ryder is just spikey hair, parody lines from a show that isn't even popular anymore and, well...that's it.

If Kane destroying Ryder over and over again allows for Ryder's character development to look inwardly and realize that he doesn't need all this ****, and turns him into a more seriously and believable verison of himself, than great. If it doesn't go anywhere and he comes back out in a month doing the same thing, then yes, it is a total character assassination that didn't serve any purpose.

I think the most significant thing to happen tonight was the return of Del Rio, Christian and Henry and their seemingly pairing to help Johnny Ace possibly get more power. I am not sure if they are an actual faction now, or if they are planning on going there, but I find it interesting that you have three former world champions, all representing one of three countries in North America. Seems like something that should be explored on some level.

4. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Some random thoughts:

Why was Cena/Kane the main event for the Elimination Chamber, instead of an actual Elimination Chamber match? I could maybe understand it if The Rock came out as a surprise to attack Cena or something like that but how is that match more important than a Championship match? Well I guess the titles are pretty meaningless nowadays but still, I don't get it.

I also think the WWE should move the Elimination Chamber PPV to the summer in either June or July (especially now that the MITB PPV is ending). I feel like it cheapens a RR win if someone can just walk into the very next PPV and win the belt. Also the months between May and July are pretty dead in terms of booking so maybe putting the PPV in June will spike interest.

As far as RAW man that battle royal was not only pointless to establish Jericho as the #1 contender but it was a blood bath. Barrett was seriously injured, it looked like Ziggler, Kofi, Truth and Rhodes were also pretty banged up too. Plus only a month ago the WWE gave Sheamus the Rumble won because they thought everyone was expecting Jericho to win. So that's their excuse now? Was there 1 person watching that didn't think Jericho was going to win? I feel like a promo with Jericho complaining about never beating eliminated from the chamber thus bring out Punk saying I'm tired of all the talk, blah blah let's wrestle at WM would have been more effective.

I thought the Undertaker/Triple H interview was pretty good too.

I hate how they keep destroying the tag team division but again it's been dead since 2002ish.

I still have a bad feeling that they're going to either change the Smackdown title to a triple threat match between Bryan, Sheamus and Orton or somehow give Orton the title before WM. I don't like how he really doesn't have a feud going on and he's left with pretty much nothing to do.

And I missed Kane last night....

5. Samphin

Barrett had a dislocated elbow and everyone else seemed to escape without major injury, thankfully. Not exactly sure why they felt the need to do the battle royal either as it definitely seemed like a foregone conclusion with Jericho. Definition of lazy overbooking as I am sure someone thought that Jericho coming out and explaining his side from the EC wouldn't fly with the fans, so they booked a match instead. Blah. Here's hoping that Barrett is allowed to do commentary while healing since he is quite good at it.

Not sure where they are going with a couple of guys for Wrestlemania. Orton, Ziggler, Miz, Kofi, Swagger, etc., are pretty much rudderless right now. I suppose you could slap together a MitB match, but with Hell in the Cell already on the PPV, it might lose its luster as a gimmick.

Speaking of which, I think they did the best they could for HHH/UT. Wrestlemania looks stacked with the top four matches right now. Two Sports Entertainment matches with Rock/Cena and HHH/UT and two purist matches with Punk/Jericho and Bryan/Sheamus.

Tag titles are pretty dead. Someone suggested that a Foley/Santino vs. The Colons might be a good, light hearted tag team championship match for WM. I tend to agree. It doesn't have to be a classic or an exceptionally serious match. The entertaining value of it would work out.

It also looks like we may get something with Show and Cody Rhodes, assuming the Shaq rumors fall through.

The following guys need to figure out their roles for WM, pronto: Christian, Henry, Orton, Swagger, Ziggler, Miz, Truth, Kofi, Show, Rhodes, Kane, Del Rio.

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I wonder if the WWE is scrapping their idea for Foley vs. Ziggler at WM now (maybe wanting to save the match for a lesser PPV to try and get a few extra buys). If that's the case maybe have Ziggler & Swagger vs. Kingston/R-Truth for the Tag titles? But that would leave the US Title not being defended on the show.

Maybe The Miz vs. Orton? Ryder vs. Kane seems like an obvious choice. Rhodes/Big Show just seems like it will be a trainwreck of a match, I would rather stick Cody in the ring with R-Truth or Kingston so there could be a good match.

You're right though without the MiTB match the rest of the card will be completely random and thrown together (more matches made because of coffee or Japanese shampoo commericals?). Which I guess is ok as The Rock/Cena, Triple H/Undertaker and Punk/Jericho is enough of a selling point as is the WM name itself. As it is the matches are all going to be very rushed as I'm sure the WWE wants to give Rock/Cena and Triple H/Undertaker at least 20 minutes or so and that's not including entrances. Plus Punk/Jericho SHOULD be at 20 minutes as well. That's already over an hour wasted on just 3 matches.

The WWE is really short on star power for the face side. I feel like everyone on the roster is a heel now.

7. Samphin

Wrestlemania is usually four hours so time shouldn't be an issue. I am guessing about 7-9 matches is easy enough to source out. Of course, they will also have the normal filler to help fill it out, as well as the Hall of Fame stage introductions.

I like the idea of Swagger/Ziggler having a tag match where both are still trying to show up the other one and ultimately possibly losing as a result of it, and thus, splitting their team permanently (Ziggler is very close to breaking out in my opinion). Swagger/Ziggler vs. Colons is a solid card too that gives them something to do. I am okay with the U.S. title not being defended since...it means nothing anymore.

I could see Cody/Show working is Cody goes full on ******** mode. Have him cut a promo about how Show purposely runs over women, injures fellow superstars and is basically an all around irresponsible prick. Show can interrupt in some capacity at some point, hit Rhodes with the WMD which causes Rhodes to put the mask back on, claiming an injury like Barrett, Ziggler, etc. Have him challenge Show for WM and bring up the fact that Show is the Anti-Taker at Wrestlemania since he always loses. He can't even beat celebrities like Akebono, and Floyd Mayweather.

Show keeps trying to chase Rhodes but can't ever get his hands on him. Same deal at Wrestlemania where Rhodes cheapshots Show then ducks out, never letting Show get too much offense. I would have a ref bump occur, have Shaq come down, rip the mask off of Rhodes's face, hit him with it, and then tear back his shirt to show that he is an official ref for the night. Show hits the WMD/Chokeslam and pins Rhodes and celebrates with Show.

Show gets a WM for once, we get a big name celebrity being involved in some capacity and Rhodes's profile is elevated.

That's what I would do anyway.

I would have Barrett doing commentary too. Maybe he tries to interfere on behalf of Cody and Shaq stops it? I think they can figure out a way to make it entertaining.

8. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    They are heavy on the heel side. Turning Daniel Bryan heel made it even worse. I think they could Christian back to face pretty easily if they wanted to. He could just come back and say that he realized what an *** he's been or something to that effect. I think they have Daniel Bryan and Sheamus backwards. I'd prefer a face Daniel Bryan vs. a heel Sheamus. Just my opinion. Sheamus could be a pretty decent monster heel. It doesn't bother me one bit that Orton doesn't have much going on right now...

9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    So obviously its too late now, but how would you guys have felt about this scenario. Teddy Long vs John L starts sooner before wrestlemania in this scenario.

Basically you set it up as the winners of the title matches face eachother in the main event (Or before Rock/Cena I guess).

Punk and Bryan both retain their titles in long grueling matches, and face eachother in a match to merge the titles and shows again. I really think merging would be in the best interest of the company. There is a LOT of talent on the roster but NOT when you split it between two shows.

10. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I actually hate heel Sheamus simply because the WWE refuses to make him a monster heel, instead they turn him into a coward. And I actually really like heel Bryan.

It only bothers me that Orton doesn't have much going on because you just know he's going to get involved in the title picture somehow and I think it's time the WWE actually gives others a shot.

No, you don't merge the titles at WM. The WM name itself will sell no matter what so you don't book something like that for that show which could spark fans interest. It would be best if it was in a dead month like June or July. And yes I'd love to have just 1 world title but I don't think that will ever happen. The WWE had numerous opportunities to do it but just won't pull the trigger simply because they like to run separate house shows for each brand and need 2 world champions to sell a main event.

11. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    With all respect.

You have to realize that as a fan I could really give a F less about sparking interest though. I care about them putting on the absolute greatest show they can every night, every PPV, everything. To be honest Bryan bores the crap out of me because I don't find him capable of putting on a good match against less technical or more power based wrestlers. However he and Punk put on ridiculously great matches because at the end of the day they are both ridiculously talented performers who don't limit eachother.

I doubt they would do it either, but the way Punk and Bryan are starting to dislike eachother so much it would be a great direction to move IMO.

12. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I get that and understand all of that and even agree that as a fan I want them to put on the best matches they can however as a business the WWE isn't going to do that (or at least they shouldn't if they were smart). Merging the two brands, if that was something the WWE really wanted to do, would be a huge deal and it would be wasted if it was done at WM because the buys are already there. They would be smarter to do it during a down month in the summer.

As for Bryan, I disagree, he's a good wrestler. I think he can put on a good match with just about anyone, however whether he does or not isn't his fault. If the WWE wants him to work a certain kind of match he has to listen. And yes Bryan and Punk awesome chemistry together, probably because when they wrestle they aren't getting restricted in any way.

13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think you misunderstood my point about Bryan. I'm saying he is such a skilled wrestler, that sometimes it is hard to watch him face a lesser opponent (or a huge guy with no in ring skills) because they can't keep up. Not a knock on him.

14. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yes I definitely misunderstood you then.

15. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Looks like there won't be a MITB match at WM after all, instead there will probably be an 8 or 10 man tag team match Team Teddy Long vs. Team Johnny. The winning team will give full GM power to either Long or Johnny.

Also there's a rumor that many people in the FO don't want a divas match on the WM card just for the sake of having one as they want to give more time to the big matches. Instead a diva match might be the dark match. For that I'm in 100% agreement with. No offense to the women but they all pretty much suck in the ring (obviously Phoenix, Neidhart and Kharma are fine) but I do hate how their matches take up time instead of giving another match a little more time to develop. Plus do people really even care about their matches? I mean even the better workers the matches are pretty blah.

16. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Sucks that Christian is most likely going to end up in the tag match, but at least hes on the card this year, hopefully

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

17. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    He'll be in the Team Johnny vs. Team Teddy tag team match. But which singles match would you put him in that would make sense and be something new/fresh (i.e. not just sticking him in another match with Orton for example). I mean really he fits in perfectly in that tag team match.

18. Samphin

I disagree about not merging the titles at Wrestlemania. It is the biggest PPV of the year, if you are going to run a storyline about merging the top two titles...you do so AT Wrestlemania. Wrestlemania has the name it does, for angles like that. It is all about creating moments that you can re-watch, that they can market on DVD's, etc. You absolutely do not waste a huge moment like that on a throw away PPV. Jusy my two cents anyways.

Also, I wish they would build an International Stable of sorts with Barrett or Regal leading the group. It would give guys like Drew McIntyre something to do as opposed to the rudderless ship he is now. Have Regal be the manager/mentor and have him joined by McIntyre and Gabriel to start. Put Barrett on commentary until he is healthy enough to interfere in a match and join the group.

They can then try to recruit Sheamus who rebukes the offer and voila, insta-feud. It opens the door for Claudio to come up to the main roster after WM too.

19. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The Rock/Cena promo was pretty good last night as was the Jericho/Punk one too. All the rest was eh but the point is to try and sell WM and between those two promos they're doing a good job with the build up to it.

HBK is back next week and he's rumored to be the guest ref for the Triple H/Taker match.

And they need to take the US title off of Jack Swagger as soon as possible, it's doing nothing for him nor is he actually defending it. Hopefully Ryder comes back next week and wins it back.

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I somehow missed your post last week and felt the need to respond in greater length:

I'd agree with you if this were the 80s up until the early 2000s however the business is just different now. When was the last time you had a WM moment for a title that actually mattered or that gave you a WM moment? Looking at the cards really quickly the last one was probably 2005 when Batista went over Triple H and became a star in the business but even that one is kind of forgotten and doesn't have the same feel to it as lets say Warrior, Bret Hart or HBK winning the title to close out a WM. Heck you can argue that title matches have played a back seat since 2005 to the MiTB matches (which many people felt hurt last years WM since there wasn't a MiTB match), Flair's retirement match, special matches (i.e. Floyd Mayweather, Bret Hart vs. McMahon, McMahon vs. Trump) and most importantly any match involving Undertaker's streak which has become the bigger deal now as far as being WM moments. You can even argue this year that CM Punk/Jericho is the 3rd important match on the card behind the obvious Cena/Rock and possibly Undertaker vs. Triple H (personally I'd much rather watch Punk/Jericho than HHH/Taker 3 but I bet more people are more excited for the HITC match). I don't even think the WWE cares about the Sheamus/Bryan title match which will probably open the show, much like the Edge/Del Rio title match opened last year, especially since the big internet joke going around right now is that Bryan/Sheamus will be bumped off the show and turned into a dark match just like last year.

WM used to be about the babyfaces getting that big title win moment but now with the titles almost meaningless and changing almost every other PPV. The main selling point of WM is the event itself (which the WWE has done a fantastic job really building it up and making it a football stadium event) and Undertaker's streak (which is why it will never end). The biggest moment in the WWE last year was CM Punk's title win at MiTB PPV which was a random July PPV which generated more buys than the previous years because of the added importance to the match. The biggest moment of WM last year was probably Triple H/Taker 2 and just having The Rock show up (remember the Cena/Miz match was just awful) other than those two things WM was pretty forgettable. That's why I think if the WWE ever merged the titles it would be best to do it at a random PPV and make that match THE big match on the card otherwise if done at WM it would be lost in the event.

Remember the WWE is a business and a business is all about making money. You put a title vs. title match at WM and it probably won't do much to change the WM bottom line but if you stick it on a random PPV during a dead period and give it a good build (much like the Punk/Cena summer feud) the WWE will make money on it. That's why I don't think it makes sense to put it on a WM card.

21. Samphin

To an extent you are right, but a title vs. title unification bout IS unique. It isn't a run of the mill title defense, which is why I would want it at Wrestlemania, as part of its lore.

As for Swagger losing the US belt, I actually have, what I think, would be a fun idea to keep him and Ziggler occupied for a little while.

Basically, have Swagger/Ziggler win the Tag Titles at Wrestlemania ( I would say to a three way or four way bout along with the Colons, Kofi/Truth and Miz/partner ). Jack now has TWO titles to Ziggler's one and starts to banter with Zigs about it, rubbing it in in interviews and both are showing off in the ring. Eventually, Ziggler is named number one contender to the U.S. belt and beats Swagger. Dolph now has two titles to Swag's one and yet, they still have to work together to keep the tag titles.

Either they trade the title again, or Swagger goes and beats the Big Show/Cody for the IC title, thus redeeming himself with two titles again, along with Ziggler. Lost in all of this is Kofi's determination to win the tag titles again with any partner (and being unsuccsessful at it).

Eventually, it boils over and Jack and Dolph decide to both put their singles titles up against each other in order to prove who is better. Kofi is entered into the match as well and eventually pins BOTH at the same time to win both singles titles, leaving Swagger and Ziggler stunned, and now only carrying the tag titles. I think the interactions could be golden and help elevate both singles titles at once, before finally merging them on to Kofi, who comes out of this as a better singles wrestler after no longer relying on unreliable tag partners like Bourne, Truth, etc.

Basically, if it is played right, you have a solid tag team to carry the tag titles, elevated singles wrestlers with Jack and Dolph and a big payoff for Kofi at around Summerslam for the double title win.

22. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I actually really like that idea but I'd much rather substitute Swagger with The Miz. I just don't think much of Swagger and feel that it would give The Miz something to do and I think the promos between Miz & Ziggler would be better. Maybe instead of bragging who has more titles, they could fight over who's the leader of the team with The Miz saying he is because he's a former World champ, then have Ziggler beat Swagger for the US title and have him say well he has 2 belts, then have The Miz win the IC title and go from there.

23. Samphin

Either works. Although I was kicking an idea around of Miz recruiting Christian in a cross branded angle. Basically, They run into each other in some backstage segment of a supershow or a PPV.

Then they start subtley doing each others moves or cribbing each other's lines in interviews. Eventually, both have a masked man helping them at random matches on both shows, and with it being obvious that the masked man is the other one, each time.

Not sure where to go from there, as the idea is only half baked, but yeah, was trying to come up with sustainable stories for most of the undercard that go beyond the simple, month to month set that usually goes on.

24. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Not a good couple of days for the WWE. First the RAW ratings were actually down from last week even though The Rock appeared live. The Royal Rumble buyrate was lower than last year's. And finally the WWE is getting nowhere with their own TV channel as all of the cable companies are questioning whether or not the WWE has enough material to run a wrestling only channel and that the demand will be there.

I fear if the ratings and numbers continue to stay down the WWE is going to do something stupid like blame Punk and Bryan and put the belts back on Orton and Cena instead of just sucking it up and use this time to continue to create new stars out of Punk, Ziggler, Bryan, Ryder, Sheamus etc.

25. Samphin

I had the same thought when I read those reports. Although, it's hilarious if they DO do that since WWE is the first to de-value the championships by saying they are props, and then putting matches like Kane vs. Cena in the main event spot as opposed to world championship matches. Same goes for Wrestlemania. So if they want to lay blame to anyone, it would be the same guys that have been on the top forever (Cena, HHH, Undertaker, etc.).

26. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Oh absolutely. The titles are just props now and are totally meaningless. What has Jack Swagger done since winning the US title? Same with Cody Rhodes? Rhodes is only known for bringing back the old belt design. The World Heavyweight Championship match is at most the 4th most important match on the WM card. Sure CM Punk is the WWE Champion and has been one of the more over wrestlers since July but how many PPVs has he main evented since he won the belt that didn't include Cena or Triple H? (Note: The answer is 1 at the Dec PPV, which Cena wasn't even a part of). It just seems the WWE doesn't have a lot of faith in the guy to really run with it. Heck you know the WWE doesn't think much of Daniel Bryan, it's just amazing the guy actually won the title and has held it for so long.

Is sad because back in the day (typing that makes me feel old) the World title, IC title and Tag Teams titles (don't even get me started with those belts) meant something. Remember when wrestlers would refuse to drop the title because it was that important? Imagine what the 1997 verison of Bret Hart would think if he had a time machine and traveled to the year 2012 the day before the Survivor Series? Or Shawn Michaels in the 90s when he would make up injuries or excuses so he wouldn't have to lay down to lose the belt?

Seriously though by June both Orton and Cena will be the World Champs again and the ratings will continue to stink and Punk, Bryan, Jericho, Ziggler and Sheamus will be the ones that get blamed and told that it's their fault. The Miz and Del Rio have already been blamed for the ratings failures.

It's clear the WWE needs to change their way of thinking (which will never happen with Vince, Stephanie and Triple H running things). They need to make the titles mean something and continue to develop their future stars. Punk needs to have a long title reign, ditto for Sheamus and the US/IC titles need to feel important again too by having guys actually defend the belts and hold on to them longer than a few weeks time. That's the biggest problem is that because of the monthly PPVs the WWE feels the need to switch the belts to try and spike buys here and there but that thinking does more harm than good.

27. Samphin

I actually think HHH, once he is fully in charge, will be good for the WWE. He is somewhat of a traditionalist who conformed to the new era. Once he is in complete control, I think you might see more emphasis on the titles meaning something again. We have already seen a HUGE uptick in overall talent being elevated. Guys like Bryan, Punk, Ziggler, etc., are younger, talented guys that are being allowed to shine, and I tend to give HHH a lot of credit for that. But as of now, Vince still holds the final decision card.

In other news, has anyone seen HHH's new contract? Guaranteed $1,000,000 a year for four years, 180 days of work per year and can still make gates/merchandise sales. Sweet deal.

28. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    It's possible Triple H might run the company well, I have my doubts as we're always another "Triple H comes back to squash the hot new act" away from doing more harm than good. Of course all of this is a moot point because Vince is going to be running the company until he's dead so maybe by that time Triple H won't be able to wrestle again for that to happen.

And yes life is good for Triple H. All he has to do is continue to keep his wife happy and he'll continue to be rich with the possiblity of running the company when the old man is gone (something George Sternberner's son in law couldn't do). And because of his new deal I expect to see new DX and Triple H shirts to keep popping up.

29. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If they take the belt off Punk in a storyline where he isn't chasing to get it back, or they bury him, I will never watch WWE again. I know one fan doesn't matter, but WWE already ****ed up so much. TNA has a VASTLY superior in ring product. They just need some better writing and to catch a few breaks with sponsorships and such. When was the last time you saw a guy laying on barbed wire get another thing of barbed wire bodyslammed onto him by a 280+ pound man? Hint: It wasn't WWE it was TNA. They actually put on entertaining oldschool style matches. My main issue is that they only broadcast once a week and it isn't live.

30. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Maybe it's just me but I'm over the whole extreme wrestling. That stuff is just too dangerous to consistently do it and with all the research that's been done on head injuries and how wrestlers are dying young left and right if I don't see another head shot or crazy bump I'd be fine with it.

Alex44 likes this.
  31. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Well TNA isn't about extreme wrestling though, it's just an added little something here and there because the wrestlers love to wrestle. Most of their matches are normal 1-1 or tag matches. However the occasional cage match where the cage isn't thought of as no more than a garden fence is nice.

As far as wrestling goes, TNA has much more capable wrestlers. Especially for those that enjoy the style of guys like Bryan and/or Punk. Because every single guy on their roster (minus a few, simply do to size) is capable of putting on a good main event type match in WWE or any other promotion. Even their women are 1000000x better wrestlers than any of the "WWE Divas" minus Tamina maybe.

I'd really like to see them get more exposure. Great older talent with guys like Bubba Ray, Angle, Sting, Devon, (R-Truth was in TNA for a while as well, so was christian) Jeff Hardy and guys like that. However mixed in with some great young talent in guys like Bobby Roode, James Storm, Crimson, Austin Aries (The whole X Division is insanely talented even the gimmick guys).

Honestly I wouldn't watch extreme wrestling lol I'm good without that. Im just saying it's nice to see guys actually try and put on an entertaining show. I grew up watching the prime of the attitude era, I'm spoiled by what I expect to see.

32. Samphin

TNA does have good talent, but they are marred by the fact that the powers that be, continue to push older, more "established" talent. Sound familiar? Same issue that WWE had for a long time. Hogan, Bischoff, Sting, Flair and other mainstays from the 80's and 90's are at the top of the card, alongside Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, Bully Ray (Bubba Ray) and more.

Their womens division is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the WWE's version, but they cut way back on the actual wrestling for those girls which was a mistake. And the women's tag team belts aren't needed.

I was happy to see them pump some resources into the X Division again with Zema Ion, and the return of Austin Aries. Aries's last run in ROH was a thing of GOLD. He may be the most crisp wrestler I have ever seen. He is THAT good.

But TNA's product is just so...second rate. The production values suck, they film it in front of the same audience each week which doesn't help them grow the brand at all, in my opinion. When they went overseas, their show was incredible. Great crowds (TNA actually outdraws WWE in England as well as does better ratings), great production...it was a thing of beauty.

I tend to think the talent level in both companies is rather high right now. I believe the WWE has better 'polished' workers, but TNA has solid talent as well. Basically, if I could draft 20 wrestlers from either roster, my guess is that the split is going to be 15 WWE guys to 5 TNA ones. Which isn't a knock on TNA, either. They've stayed around a lot longer than I thought they would.

33. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I just read the Smackdown results from last night. I think I found the WM match I care about the least: Randy Orton vs. Kane. Seriously does ANYONE care about Orton "embracing the hate"?

I guess this means the WWE is keeping Ryder off of the WM card, or just forgetting about Kane beating the crap out of him since December, makes tons of sense right?

34. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think it's official: Kane and Ryder has to be the most screwed over wrestlers on the 'E's roster right now.

35. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I don't know how they will fill a whole channel. And aren't they wanting it to be a channel you have to pay extra to get? How many fans are going to fork out money for PPVs, merchandise, and then a channel on top of that?

I haven't felt much of an urge to watch WWE's shows lately to be honest. They're just screwing the pooch with so many wrestlers and storylines. And why do they put two guys in the ring together so often when they're feuding them? Am I crazy or does it seem like back in the day the feuding guys didn't actually wrestle each other all that often. Why would I pay to watch this guy wrestle that guy on PPV when I've already seen it eight times on Smackdown and Raw? I watched Raw last week because the Rock was there. I didn't really think the promo was anything special though. More of the same crap with him and Cena. They need to have him on the shows for some kind of purpose other than just cutting a promo and then build heat between him and Cena naturally. Maybe he's on the show to be a guest referee or guest GM or whatever.

36. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I thought Orton was already supposed to be angry or whatever that stupid 'voices in his head' crap they do with him is. I can understand the embrace the hate thing with Cena somewhat but not so much with Orton.

37. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    For your first point, the WWE owns a million hours of wrestling footage. They can easily fill a whole channel between old WWF shows like Superstars, Challenge, RAW, Smackdown, Prime Time, Saturday Night's Main Event, WCW shows like Nitro, Saturday Night, Clash of the Champions, ECW, AWA, Stampede Wrestling and whatever other wrestling companies they own. Not to mention all of the PPVs from the WWF/E, WCW, ECW and past DVD releases (the documentary parts).

They're also planning on creating new original programing, like "Legends House" which is a house full of WWE legends living together ala Real World. I'm sure they'd keep pumping out Tough Enoughs and NXT. Maybe bring back WWF Mania which was a Saturday morning recap show that showed clips of RAW and Superstars and had 1 special house show taped match. They could probably bring back the WWE Prime Time talk show type show. They have endless possibilities really.

I also heard rumors that they were planning on putting the non big 4 PPVs on the channel free of charge which would be the reason why people would actually pay for the channel in the first place.

Personally I'd LOVE an all wrestling channel, however there's only so much wrestling I can watch per day/week before I get bored of it. They should just bring back WWE On Demand instead, and have people chose what they want to watch instead.

Well their feud is coming from nothing, no build up no real reason for it, much like the Cena/Kane feud. I don't understand why they don't just do Ryder/Kane at WM and give Ryder his revenge win. Book the match much like Undertaker vs. Jeff Hardy RAW ladder match where the Undertaker beat the crap out of Hardy but Hardy kept fighting back refusing to give up only have Ryder fight back and actually beat Kane cleanly in the middle of the ring. You do that fans will take Ryder as a serious threat and you built him back up. But again the WWE wants to be the ones to tell the fans who we should be rooting for instead of listening to what the fans want which will make them more money.

38. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Doug Furnas passed away yesterday at age 50 from Parkinson's disease. Doug was in the WWF for a brief period of time from Nov 1996 to Nov 1997 and teamed with Phil LaFon, they were most known for their Survivor Series 1996 match win vs. Owen Hart, The British Bulldog and The New Rockers in the WWF. They were a truly great team that also wrestled in ECW but were most known for their work in All Japan.

39. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I like the free PPV idea. That would make me consider subscribing to the channel if the price wasn't too high. I think it would be good if they also threw in a small discount for subscribers for the big PPVs. There are times when I too would really enjoy seeing all of those old shows and things but I question how much I'd actually watch. I'm not going to sit down and watch wrestling every single day for sure. It would be a matter of cost for me. I'm not going to pay much for it because I don't know how often I would use it. I imagine a lot of people are in that boat.

40. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    That's exactly why cable companies aren't crazy about the WWE Channel. I love wrestling as much as the next person here but like you I wouldn't be able to watch it everyday nor would I be able to sit through more than 2 hours or so at a time. Even when I watch RAW I'm consistently doing other things so at times it's simply background noise to me.

I just think the WWE is better off with an On-Demand option, like they had.