1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offseason Predictions

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Oct 30, 2011.

1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I am sorry, I know some people hate threads like this but in my eyes this season is over. I am staying sane by thinking about the possible offseason moves and the endless possibilities to are ahead of us. I think we should use this thread to state what we can realistically see happening during the rest of the season and into the offseason. Ill go first....

1.) Andrew Luck will be a Miami Dolphin- While Ross has recieved much flack recently I truly believe he has our best interests at heart, but he just goes about things with a business mind instead of someone that has been around football for countless years. That being said, I think Ross understands what Luck brings to the table. He knows the amount of life, but more importantly HOPE that he can inject into the Miami franchise. That being said, I see us getting Luck regardless of where we finish the regular season. I can see Ross supporting a GM, be it Ireland or someone else, trading the farm to get Luck. I just have the feeling Ross will tell the said GM, "I want Luck on this team, make an offer they can't refuse." Just my gut feeling.

2.) Sparano will coach a few more games if not the rest of the season. You can see Sparano is beat down and that the players are not 100% behind him. I think keeping Sparano kind of has some meaning to getting Andrew Luck, but they are trying to make it look like their isn't a correlation. I just find it funny that Ross a billionaire couldn't meet with Sparano because of meetings out west. If he really wanted to he could have met with Sparano and fired him, but I think they want to milk him for as many losses as they can before they ultimately have to fire him. I actually could envision Sparano finishing off the season as our coach. That being said if we do fire him, we will promote a "bad" coach that doesn't have a chance of winning or reuniting and motivating the team. No way will Nolan become the interm head coach (not like he deserves it either lol). I could see Daboll or even a positions coach taking over because of the "potential Ireland and Ross see in them." Potential, in reality will mean the ability to get Luck lol.

3.) Miami will sign a big time head coach, I am predicting Bill Cowher. Other options include Jon Gruden and Jeff Fischer, but I don't see us signing a young up and coming coach in the NFL or college football. Hiring a new coach with a proven record might not be the best long term move, but I think right now it makes the most sense in the fact that it is a safe mood and will inject excitement into this fan base. Ross seems like the guy that knows what he wants and does whatever he takes to get it. Rumors have already been circulating that he has been in contact with Cowher and I am buying them.

4.) There is a 50% chance we keep GM Jeff Ireland. Obviously, if we get Cowher Jeff Ireland is most likely a deadman walking, but that being said you don't know how much Ross likes Ireland and if and what Ireland could be doing to set up something with Cowher or another top notch coach. I really feel that Ireland and Ross click well and that Ross will have a hard time letting Ireland go. Omar Kahn would be awesome to have as our GM, but like many have mentioned he doesn't have much football knowledge and deals mostly with getting contracts done etc. I could see Ireland potentially being offered to become head of scouting or a similar job where he loses full control, but still has a say. You'd have to wonder if he would take it or not though. I think he is a decent talent evaluator and we really don't know how much his decisions were impacted by coaches, Parcells or anyone else. I know some of you hate Ireland, but in a pure talent evaluation stand point he has not been that bad. This one is up in the air. I think if we get either Fischer, Gruden, or someone else not named Cowher Irelands chances of keeping his job significantly improve.

5.) Paul Soliai will not be with the Miami Dolphins. I don't think his play matched up with the franchise tag this year. I still get the feeling that he wants a big paycheck and another team will be willing to give him one. I don't see much team unity anymore with the team or within the defense so he isn't a guy that will give us a team discount.

6.) Brandon Marshall will be either traded or cut. This hurts me typing (as a UCF student, like Marshall) but its an honest opinion. I have a feeling he is a big distraction in the lockerroom, on the practice field, on the NFL field and a new coach is not going to want to deal with him. He has not played up to his contract in my opinion and isn't worth keeping around. I would be really curious about his value around the league, but I coulde see a team like Minnesota, St. Louis, Seattle, Tennessee, Oakland, Chicago, Carolina or even Arizona giving us something for him, probably a 2nd or 3rd. I don't really see us cutting him, but if we can't trade him, I could see us cutting him.

7.) We sign a veteran halfback. I see us drafting another halfback after drafting Daniel Thomas this past year, and seeing some of his flashes. Additionally, I just think we have biggest holes on this team that will need to be addressed in the draft TE, FS, OL, ILB, etc etc. I think the best thing to do would be to sign someone like a Brandon Jacobs or a similar veteran back that could complement a healthy Thomas. Additionally, Thomas has shown enough to me that I think he could be a decent pro if he stays healthy.

8.) We will invest a high draft pick or spend a good amount of money on the OL, especially the RT position. With us bringing in a young quarterback I really think that this will be a priority. Our offensive line has looked like a revolving door out there this year. If we don't sign a good RT in free agency I think we will go OT with our pick in the 2nd round. I could even see us having 3 new starters on the line this coming year.

9.) We resign Kendal Langford. In my opinion Langford is one of the most underrated players on the team. I see us spending a good amount of money to keep him around.

Alright... lets hear your opinions!

2. mracer

mracer New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    1) I agree with getting Luck. This franchise has to sell the farm to get him if needed. A great QB can make a mediocre team a contender. See Colts or Marino yrs with Olivadatti.
    2) I'm not convinced with Cowher or Gruden. Will they pull a JJ and leave only after 3-4 yrs?
    3) I'm up in the air with Ireland. I think this past yr was his first draft without Parcells having final say. If possible, I would like to keep him as GM unless their is another candidate that has a great track record. Hopefully Ireland is smart enough to learn from his mistakes. Another issue is having a HC that can work in harmony with Ireland. Can Ireland find the right personnel to fit the HC's philosophy?
    4) I think we re-sign Solai, Langford or transition tag them. I doubt we let them walk without some compensation.
    5) Don't trade Marshall. Our new qb will need him. He may not be performing as an elite qb due to poor qb play. This team needs to be serious about talent acquisition.
    6) Needs in descending order QB, RT, RG, TE, FS, RB, pas rusher

3. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    The key to milking Tony for every loss is in identifying when the players contract Stockholm syndrome and start feeling compassion for Tony. That's when you fire Tony, right before the win one for the gipper game. Or right before the mascot self immolates, whichever comes first...

4. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Yes, we bring in Luck and get rid of his best weapon.

Genius.

5. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    If we keep Ireland, then Ross is an imbecile. Four years of being unable to find offensive linemen, a free safety and the inability to draft playmakers make Ireland priority number one to replace. We dont need another year of drafting solid players. We need some pro bowlers. There isnt a coach in the NFL who could get Colombo to play well

As for coach, it seems as if Cowher is in the lead. My feeling is this will be a repeat of the Jimmy Johnson years. If Cowher doesnt win a Super Bowl right away he will quit. My preference would be Fisher. I think he has the fire to prove something and if we're lucky enough to give Fisher a franchise QB in Luck I have full confidence he would get us everything else

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
    Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  6. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have absolutely no desire to see Ross retain Ireland. Ireland is so out of his element as the GM of an NFL franchise that he would probably trade the first pick in the draft so he could draft another mediocre defensive or offensive lineman. The reason I want Cowher as the next head coach more than anyone else, is I have no doubt he will tell Ross that he will only take the job if Ireland is no longer the GM. If Ross likes Ireland so much, maybe he can find him a job in his real estate business. Because Ireland has clearly shown over the last four years as the GM in Miami that he has become an example of someone who clearly defines the ," Peter Principle".