OK 3 games in, is Tannehill our QB of the future?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jsizzle, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Oh sure. Take away Aaron Rodgers and Jennings is just another Bess even though he was a stud in Favre's last season. Nelson is just another Hartline. Jermichael is just as bad as Fasano. It's all Aaron Rodgers. Laughable. Not even you believe the nonsense you're posting. Jennings, Nelson, and Finley were all drafted high for a reason. Because they're damn good players.

2. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I meant in their rookie year.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree here, I think Jennings, Nelson are excellent football payers.

4. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    How can you possibly tell about a rookie QB three games into his career? This will illustrate the point beautifully for you Miami fans. After Mark Sanchez's first 3 games, he was 49/83 for 606 yards, 4 TDs and 2 INTs. He also ran for one score. His completion percentage was 59%, his yards per attempt was 7.3 and his QBR was 87.72. The Jets starting wide outs were Jericho Cotchery, Chansi Stuckey, and Brad Smith. They went 3-0 beating Houston on the road, and both New England and Tennessee at home. Houston ended up 9-7, NE went 10-6, and TEN went 8-8.

If one was to evaluate Sanchez after those 3 games, you would think he was going to be an elite quarterback. It is now 3 years later and every one of you thinks he is hot garbage...worst in the league. Personally I do not think he is quite *that* bad, but he is nowhere near an elite QB. So the point is, 3 games ain't ****. You'll be lucky to know after a full year. Chirst, two years of Henne and you were still debating his future. See my point?

5. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    I wasn't asking for a Jets fan's opinion. :taunt:

6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    You are just mad he gave a good answer.

7. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I've been here for a few years. I don't post much anymore - life kind of gets in the way. But generally, I do not troll or bust balls. And if you started this thread (I didn't check), then you are right. You did not ask for my opinion. My apologies. It's still a ****ing stupid question.

RevRick likes this.
  8. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    And KB acknowledged that they are good wide receivers. But he's right that they are not elite talents like Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald, AJ Green, etc. Sure, Jennings had a nice season in Favre's last year, but Favre is a first ballot HOFer who threw for 4155 yards and 28 TDs that year with a 95.7 passer rating. Nelson was notably less productive in his first 3 years than Hartline. And none fo those GB guys were drafted all that high -- none were first rounders.

A lot of it is Aaron Rodgers. If you think they put up the same numbers with Henne or a rookie Tannehill you are completely delusional. Hell, look at what is happening this year with Rodgers, but just poor pass protection. Jennings is averaging 35 yards per game with no TDs. Nelson is around 55 yards per game and Finley is around 45 yards per game. They haven't become worse players than they were last year. But a receiver's production is hugely dependent on the QB, the system and the pass protection.

9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I will contend the biggest problem isn't Miami's lack of a 1st and 2nd receiver. It is Miami's lack of a 3rd and especially 4th wide receiving option. Especially if Reggie Bush misses a game or two.

10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I've been impressed with his ability to make the read pre-snap and not look lost when the defense changes their initial look. I've also been impressed with his ability to read multiple types of looks.

The main issue I see is that he needs experience and some talent around him. For instance going to Hartline was the correct read on those deep patterns. Any time you have 1-1 coverage on the outside you're basically taught to go to that deep route. The issue is Hartline isn't beating anyone deep any good portion of the time.

I've been much more encouraged than discouraged.

eltos_lightfoot, HULKFish and Zanno like this.
  11. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    Ban? I got banned for less.

:ban:

12. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    What is up with you? You're acting nutty.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

13. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    I think Hartline gets open deep most of the time. No, not always open by 5 yards, but NFL open. The problem on those plays wasn't Hartline not being open enough, it was that Tannehill missed him. That will happen -- those aren't high percentage passes.

14. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't really agree but respect your opinion on it. To me being even to very very slightly ahead of the defender isn't being open. He's often less than a half step ahead.

Then again I have a strong hatred for Hartline as a receiver.

15. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    I'd say he is rarely just a half a step ahead, although half a step is NFL open. The QB has to put it up and give the WR a chance to catch it. That sometimes means a bit of an underthrow, but the WR has a huge advantage on the DB who has to swivel his head at the last minute to find the ball and also avoid a PI penalty if the WR slows down or comes back for the ball. A big part of Moore's success on the downfield stuff last year was his willingness to put it up and let the WR make a play on it. How many of the deep passes completed against the Dolphins in recent years have been to guys who were no more than half a step ahead of the Dolphin DB?

I respect your opinion, but it's possible that your admitted strong hatred for Hartline is affecting your objectivity as to him.

16. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Why? Because they are actually brothers?

17. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Nobody ever said anything about Green Bay having a Calvin or Andre Johnson. But he made it sound in his first post that he believes Green Bay doesn't have primary receivers, which is obviously bull****. Those 3 guys are all primary receivers in my book. Jennings and Finley certainly. The dfifference between Nelson and Hartline is rather simple. Nelson was the #4 WR and still put up similar numbers to Hartline, a starter. And yes, all those guys were drafted relatively high. 2nd round is pretty high in my book. Same with 3rd round for a TE.

Of course Aaron Rodgers makes them look a little better. Has it ever occurred to you that they make Aaron Rodgers look a little better too? Do you honestly think Aaron Rodgers is the same player throwing it to Hartline and Fasano? Of course you don't think that. That would be as dumb as people thinking Bess is as good as Welker based on similar circumstances.

18. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I was travelling at the time and skimmed through replay. Were his passes high throughout the game?

19. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    To be fair my hatred comes from analysis of the way he plays the game. To be even more fair, I said less than a half step.

Also the half step thing is only relevant to middle routes, not sideline routes. In my opinion anyway.

20. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    for some reason i just saw that and cant believe that this thread is already on page 5....3 games in ??? is the OP freakin serious ?

21. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    Yeah, I am serious, go back and read the first post. I wanted to know from the KNOWLEDGEABLE fans, like CK, if Tannehill has any technical issues, footwoork, etc.

22. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think you answered the question yourself.....Three games in....

23. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think that at this point the answer is "yes", he is the QB of the future. He has all the measureables, arm to make all the throws, height, athleticism, etc. His mechanics are very sound and more importantly, he seems to work at them. He corrects mistakes and doesn't repeat them often. Also, and maybe most importantly, he shows poise and confidence. He doesn't seem rattled by anything, doesn't shy away from throws after a screw up. The team seems to believe in him and that will grow if they always feel he gives them a chance.

HULKFish, shouright and jsizzle like this.
  24. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    Right, but I don't know enough about the technical aspects of the position, and I just wanted to know if he had any glaring technical issues? 3 games should be enough to tell.

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Sounds simple, but he just needs to play faster, in everything he does.

26. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Put him back at WR!

:)

:lol:

27. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    He would be our best WR, sadly. Maybe he should just throw it to himself at this point since the receivers cant catch anything anyways.

HULKFish and Disnardo like this.
  28. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    How about the deep ball accuracy?

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Not to speak for Rafs but I think the deep inaccuracies are directly related to processing the speed, sometimes its been his 2 nd progression, and his mind is going so fast that once his first isn't there, he's rushing the deep throw..

The game has to slow down for the deep ball accuracy to come into play..You almost have to pause for a sec, to go a bit flat footed right before you release, have to gather your mechanics, right now RT is rushing his deep throws...I also don't see touch being a problem, nor trajectory.

30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It hasn't been good, but in my experience that's mostly a factor of developing timing with your WRs. That's a time thing. I don't ever consider that as something that would make me say "he's not the future" b/c he hasn't hit those.

31. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    the question i have is what is the final ranking he needs to have to be optimistic for next season, he is the 32nd rated passer right now, i would like him to be at 15-17 at the end of the year, would be nice if its close to even on the TD:INT ratio by then, accuracy is a problem so far would be nice if he can get it up to 57% percent by years end

32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Same here.

ssmiami likes this.
  33. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    yes he is our franchise qb