1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok, Like for real, how do you want to go about this moving forward?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Apr 18, 2017.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Here's my worry..

Gronkowski, Dwayne Allen ( who is gonna be tough to defend) Brandin Cooks and Edelman..Lewis..7/11..

Jesus man, how the hell are we gonna stop them.?

And do we need to adjust our drafts to compensate.?

For example, I'm sure some think selecting Lamp and developing the power run game to simply keep those fu##ers off the field would be the way to go..

What philosophy would you go to in the draft to defend that?, or does it even come into play for you? Defend the great Tom Brady and all his weapons for the next five years, or develope the offense to keep him off the damn field?

2. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I still think you have to primarily think long term. So ultimately you grab guys who will help you long term.

However,

I think our offense is a lot closer to being a finished product than our defense but has a gaping hole on the interior line. You HAVE to get some able bodies in to plug those holes. I don't necessarily think it has to be a first round pick, but you have to get some guys. I really think if you can plug the holes on the line this offense can become turbo charged very fast.

After that this defense needs a huge infusion of talent...all over the place.

So I'd throw probably at least two picks at interior o-line positions, but I don't necessarily think one has to be in the first for Lamp. Other than that I'd snap up defenders left and right. You need help everywhere really so I'd go with where the talent is falling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    The key to beating the Pats is to pressure Brady. He simply can't handle it and it's been proven time and time again. Even in last years SB, before the Falcons flamed out, he looked pedestrian because the Falcons had him scared. In both the Pat's losses to the Giants, he looked lost and shaken. When the Dolphins had JT et al they used to make him jumpy and nervous. For all of his greatness (and cheating) he handles pressure worse than any "all time great" I've ever seen.

So, to answer your question: defensive players that can pressure the hell out of him. Every down of every quarter get in his face. Now, this player could be a DE or DT or even a safety or CB. We need players from all over the field that can blitz and finish the job.

Now, saying all of that, if someone like OJ Howard falls to us (not gonna happen IMO) you take him. lol...

The biggest factor, IMO, is going to be coaching. Can Burke disguise blitzes well enough? Can the Dolphins keep their game plans secure enough so the Pats don't get them before the game? lol...

4. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    If you want to stop brady you develop the defense, period. That should be priority number one. More pass rushers and good coverage linebackers is what we are missing in my opinion. We also need another run stuffing DT. Continuing to build the oline on offense should be priority number 2. Our offense is already pretty good we just have to shore up the oline.

Balanced teams win championships. Concentrating on just one side of the ball doesn't work long term, just ask shula and marino.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Tin Indian and djphinfan like this.
  5. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    It didn't matter before he had those weapons and they the Super Bowl. Until Brady is gone it's going to be a tough road. Him and bellicheck are really tough to pressure for 60 minutes. That said the best way to beat them is to stop the dink and dunks, screens they live off. Pressure and stop the quick short yardage passes and hope your ends can get to him.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You need to cover Gronk and defend the quick pass (while dodging them "legally" picking). You also need to throw in a wrinkle on defense that they don't know how to defend. Like an X factor player, who doesn't have a specific role or duties. Like what we hoped Jordan could have been...a LB/DE hybrid that can cover TEs. It's why I want Peppers, because he's a LB/S/CB hybrid that can cover TEs.

The goal is to surprise the Pats game one, then when they gameplan to beat you in game two, you can change it up.

We've actually been pretty good at either splitting with them and or taking them deep in the 4th quarter past few years.

7. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015

thatta boy

danmarino likes this.
  8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    your all over the place Dano, but right as well..lol

danmarino likes this.
  9. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015
    that's my influence. defense all the way, unless a TE falls

danmarino likes this.
  10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    TE is not a glaring need right now. We need defense at all levels. We need starting interior olinemen and backs ups across the line.

thetylernator and resnor like this.
  11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    makes me think that developing an efficient ball control offense might be the way to defeat them, just pound them, build an oline that that can get four yards on a run anytime..Resulting in an advantage of TOP..

I mean I understand the simplicity of that philosophy, but keeping Brady from playing football might be the right thing to do...even if you have pass rushers, you still give him a chance to adjust and outsmart you...if he's on the sideline, he can't do sh#.

Plus this allows your defense to be fresh for when he does take the field..

Yes or no?

12. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015
    I think teams have tried to build defenses for 17 years to beat Brady and it is a waste of time. It worked a few times, but keeping him off the field is the best method

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Stay on topic Fin, this is abut what's the philosophy to take in acquiring players moving forward, do you aquire with the pats in their head, or just a blind eye?

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    But you said defense all the way?

If you believe keeping him off the field and building a defense is a futile attempt then why not design your draft to keep him off the field?

Maybe Forrest Lamp in the first, and a supergood press corner who can tackle like Teez Tabor in the 2nd..?

15. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I wouldn't worry about Brady and the Pats.

The goal should be to just get incrementally better so that we're consistently a playoff team. Do that and the SB's will come. In other words.. let others adapt to you rather than the other way around.

resnor and danmarino like this.
  16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Sign Tony Harding.

*Out of date reference for the win!

Tin Indian, resnor and danmarino like this.
  17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I did. You missed my post before that one. I even said who i thought we needed to draft.

My TE post was more about saying we don't need a TE to beat the Pats, we need these other things.

resnor and djphinfan like this.
  18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think that's easier said then done, but maybe your right..but, if you can't overcome the champ then there will be no adapting to you..

I'm not sure if there is a correct answer, I think there are just to many variables to taper your acquisition business to beat the king on top, I think it's comes down to acquiring the best players you can at all positions and the intellect of your coaching staff to figure it out..

The only philosophy that has logic built in though is winning TOP ? No?

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    So you wanna run the ball really well and play good defense...ok..me too..so no specific weaknesses you see to defeat that team?

Can we agree that trying to outscore them is a mistake?

20. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    ToP has a high correlation with winning percentage for sure. Around 2/3 of the time a team wins ToP they win the game.

Thing is.. I'm not sure winning ToP is a "strategy" per se because that 2/3 stat is skewed a lot by teams running out the clock, so causal relation is probably a lot weaker. Also.. you can win ToP in many different ways, from good defense to good run offense. And keep in mind it's a passing league now so trying to win ToP by running more may not be the best answer.

Anyway.. lots of ways to skin the cat, but whatever we do we better make the playoffs again or as far as I'm concerned it was the wrong strategy.

danmarino likes this.
  21. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Yep! You never know when you might need to give someone a good whack in the knee.

22. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015
    we need to build a winner for the next 10-12 years. not a one-time gig

23. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015
    Tonya?"

24. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    I agree. If we draft a tight end it should be in the 5th round. Jeremy Sprinkle I think would be a great pick in the fifth.

danmarino and Fin D like this.
  25. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Yes. Just misspelled it.

26. thetylernator

thetylernator You're as cold as ice, Officer Friendly.

Dec 31, 2014
    As Dan mentioned earlier, the best way to limit New England's offensive weapons is to pressure #12: everything else collapses like a series of dominoes once you get inside his head. And while we have some players who can do this consistently (Cameron Wake, Ndamukong Suh), the fact is that we don't have enough. This is why I am pulling so hard for Michigan's Taco Charlton--he's everything we thought Dion Jordan was going to be--and at 6'6", 277lbs., he's capable of playing multiple positions within numerous different formations. This, as Fin D pointed out, gives the defense that all-important "wrinkle" effect.

Moreover, while someone like Jabrill Peppers would also be a fantastic addition, he does not quite provide the pure rushing ability that Charlton does. I encourage everyone to watch some of his highlights videos--his nasty twitch and unreal athleticism pops off the screen. I'm telling you, teams in the top ten are going to be kicking themselves three years from now for passing on this guy. If Miami drafts him, he will effectively mitigate many of New England's offensive weapons for years to come.

That being said, we shouldn't count on a handful of players to win a game. Building the power-run game is going to be key to the long-term success of this franchise as well, so I would consider spending a second round pick on the interior offensive line, as well as finding another veteran through free agency.

danmarino and resnor like this.
  27. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    Have you actually studied game tape of taco charlton or are you just going off his measurables and stats? Trust me taco is extremely raw and unpolished. He has no pass rush moves to speak of and is not very explosive or instinctive. He will be ok against the run but it will take him a couple of years if ever to become a good pass rusher in the NFL. Not worth a first round pick in my opinion. Would rather use our first rounder on Jordan Willis if we are going for an edge rusher.

28. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Unfortunately the Patriots are clearly still the best team in the AFC and probably the entire NFL
    It is going to take the Dolphins at least two more productive drafts to become a legitimate threat to the Patriots in the AFC East.

While the Dolphins need to add another guard on offense, the next two drafts should be geared toward taking the best defensive player on the board in each round. Hopefully by 2019, age will finally start to catch of with Brady and the Dolphins will have a much better defense than they have had in recent years.

29. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I think you've said this every year I've been on this message board haha. Not that you're wrong, but I do think if last year was no aberration and Gase is really a good coach, we can challenge them sooner than you might think.

Consider.. during Brady's time with NE, their average number of wins is 12.4 wins per season. They also had 4 straight 12-4 seasons before last year so it's not unreasonable to expect around 12 wins from them assuming we don't improve.

We won 10 games last year. Now imagine we improve just enough so that we win 1 extra game against NE. That gives us 11 wins and NE has an expected 11.4 wins.. and we're already competitive.

Not saying it's likely. Just pointing out it doesn't take THAT much to compete with NE. One really good draft + one good HC and it's realistic.

danmarino and resnor like this.
  30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    your last sentence is so far from something I think you would say its funny..your not a machine.

cbrad likes this.
  31. finsfandan

finsfandan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I like that you're looking at the glass half full but that win total doesn't mean much. If the Pats feel we're a threat in the division late in the season, I see them crushing anybody in front of them to claim the top spot.

Plus our ten wins amounted to a first round exit. One of those 12 win seasons (2013) resulted in a SB victory against the Seahawks. It'd take a historic draft to get us over that hump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finster likes this.
  32. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Or.. machines are getting better at mimicking humans :smile:

danmarino, resnor and djphinfan like this.
  33. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    lol..Anybody that's been watching football for the last 15+ years know that the Pats, except in VERY rare situations, play all of their starters, at full speed, all season long, no matter the circumstances. To insinuate that they half-*** it once they've gotten close to locking things up and will just "turn it on" again if someone gets close is just silly.

Our 10 wins this year resulted in a 1st round exit. However, a 2nd string QB and basically a 2nd string defense probably had more to do with that than "10 wins"...don't ya think?

resnor and Fin D like this.
  34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Right?
    Any other team that lost their starting QB and something like 8-9 of 11 defensive starters would be touted as heroes for making it to the playoffs. But our fans? Nope, the team is 3 great drafts away, got lucky and it was a fluke because they lost to a full strength Pitt team in Pitt.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  35. finsfandan

Dec 14, 2014
    I never said they'd half *** it... I'm just saying they play best when it really matters.

No, I don't think so because that second string QB had a better rating and the defense was still crap.

Finster likes this.
  36. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    That's what you insinuated. The Pats don't take their foot off of the pedal. If they're up by 50 with 2 mins left in the 4th quarter they are still trying to score a TD.

The Dolphins were a different team with Moore. And I guess you can overlook the fact that the Dolphins thrashed the Steelers with RT at the helm and got slaughtered with Moore at the helm...but I won't.

The defense was something like 15th best in the league until all the injuries happened. So no, they weren't crap before the injuries.

resnor likes this.
  37. finsfandan

Dec 14, 2014
    You're reading into what I said. Don't try to make an argument over something I'm saying I didn't mean. Turn it on, in my mind, means that they'll play their best like they do in the toughest situations. That's not always true, I've seen them rest Brady to put in Jimmy.

Yeah, I can overlook it because Big Ben was out for most of the game when Tannehill faced him... that's why you won't get into it.

Were they crap towards the end when Tannehill was still playing? Exactly.

38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This just in, Big Rape plays defense for the Steelers, apparently......

39. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Everyone knows what you meant. Don't change it now.

You've never seen Brady "rest". Before this last season Jimmy had a combined 31 attempts in the NFL in 2 years. 27 of which came in week 17 in 2014 against Buffalo after Brady was sacked and came up gimpy. Again, SPECIAL circumstances like I mentioned earlier.

The whole "Ben didn't play in their first game last season" mantra is getting pretty ****ing old. BEN PLAYED EVERY ****ING SECOND OF THAT GAME EXCEPT THE LAST SERIES OF THE FIRST HALF. 3 ****ING PLAYS.

Now, can we stop with the BS and lies?

resnor and Fin D like this.
  40. finsfandan

Dec 14, 2014
    Maybe everybody but you and Fin D knows what I meant. Apparently you two have never heard the phrase "turn on the switch." Yes, the poster always giving the Patriots props for their greatness was insinuating they half *** it and only try when it matters. Funny how when I say something you want to turn into a point of debate, all of a sudden you're giving them credit you'd otherwise never give.

I've seen it, just not often. I might've seen it just once but I did see it. I watch a lot of football.

Somebody is angry he was proven wrong. Ben got injured 12 seconds into the second quarter of that game. [​IMG]