1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK Now What About LG,Safety,CB,OL Depth,LB, And Quarterback!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    First of all: Let's be realistic, even if we have a little cap room left there isn't much left on the market as far as quality starters without character issues.

I think we need to start considering stop gap older veterans. Daniel Manning S and Charles Tillman CB at vet min. Mentors if nothing else. Maybe revisit the Evan Mathis deal.

My take on the draft: Try like crazy to trade down at least once and garner a pick or two.

Mock:
    1st... after trading down twice.(two 3rds) Byron Jones CB/Safety.....Maybe you have a future shut down corner or maybe you have an all pro safety or maybe you just have a guy who can take dollar bills off the locker room ceiling with Cam Wake.

2nd.....Jake Fisher OT/LG Might not be the run blocker we want right away at LG but he would be lights out in protection for Tannehill and he could slide over to play LT if necessary; and that could be necessary right away if Albert isn't ready. I don't trust Fox to man the left side.

3rd....DT Marcus Hardison Not a starter but a legitimate disruptor in the interior pass rush. (10 sacks last year) Could explode next to Suh on passing downs.

3rd...CB/Safety Eric Rowe Missed only two tackles all last year.A four year starter. This kid is really smart and athletic and he just plain gets it done. Might be a day one starter. I saw four of his games last year, not flashy but big time play making could yet come from this kind of talent and athleticism.

4th.....Chris Conley WR.....There is nothing to dislike here besides limited body of work but there wasn't a whole lot he could do about that. Total freak athlete and award winning honor student with great character. Similar size and better combine numbers than Julio Jones.

5th.....Mitch Morse OG.....Competition for Billy Turner or depth.

5th......Bryan Bennett QB...http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/01/2015_senior_bowl_bryan_bennett_emerges_as_top_qb_p.html The next____. Aaron Rogers? I'd take Matt Moore at a much lower price right now. A reach?? Read the article. Chip Kelley recruited this kid and he has his eye on him.

6th......Junior Sylvestre OLB/SS/ST's...Elite instincts and a superior athlete. Coverage skills were untested in their scheme??? A poor man's Shaq Thompson??

7th......Bobby McCain CB/KR

Priority free agents....QB Conor Haliday ,OLB Kyle Emanuel,OG Myles Diffenbach,OT Jack Rummels,WR Jake Kumerow,Safety John Lowdermilk

These are my best guesses, who do guys have in mind??

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    If the Dolphins are trading, they are trading up.

3. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Who cares? We don't need no stinking MLB, FS, CB, OL, WR, RB...

We got Suh!!!

4. jboogie

jboogie The sky is NOT falling!

Stop......just stop. Smh

djphinfan and Phins Up Wins Up like this.
  5. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

LG,Safety,CB,OL Depth,LB, And Quarterback

LG - Sign a mediocre vet and draft a guard in the 4th to compete, along with a UDFA. Make sure you do NOT allow Philbin ANY input into who starts. That way Turner can start ahead of Dallas Thomas.

Safety - Delmas and take a late safety with the Vikes 5th rounder. Doesn't seem like this is a very talented draft at Safety in the upper rounds.

Offensive Line Depth - As usual, grab a 7th and a UDFA then pray.

LB - Priority, imo. Try to trade down a few spots and take Kendricks in Rd. 1 then pick up a 5th or 6th rounder who can compete on Special Teams like Trusnik. Also, Tripp may develop. We seem to have a decent LB's position coach.

Quarterback - Get a cheaper option than Moore. Not sure who's out there. I know CK loves Rakeem Cato.

6. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    ... we currently don't have a 4th round pick so......

7. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Why don't we?

8. muskrat21

May 11, 2014
    didn't we trade one of this years picks for someone last year?

9. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    We traded a third for Kenny Stills, I think we still have a fourth.

10. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Maybe you're talking about the 7th rounder we traded for McKinney?

11. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
  12. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Guys, no team in the NFL has all stars at every position. What wins in this league is QB play, a solid defense and difference makers. Just surround them with average (if that in some cases) role players and see what happens.

13. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Yes we do, we do not have a 3rd though..or a 7th.

14. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I no longer think we are moving up in round 1, we just can't afford it. So the options at 14 are...

La'El Collins, DeVante Parker, Jaelen Strong, Trae Waynes. Those are the 4 I feel there is a strong possibility we select. Collins would be the best as he could handle LT if Albert has a set back/future or start at LG.

15. normaldude

normaldude Active Member

Oct 13, 2009
    gunn34 likes this.
  16. muskrat21

May 11, 2014

someone has to catch...

our WR are a downgrade compared to last year and our TE are equal so...

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That is not how Tannenbaum works.

2socks and Bpk like this.
  18. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    How about Hickey... He's still the GM, right?

Jimmy Johnson, for all of his faults, was a master draft strategist. I miss the days of him wheeling and dealing picks and assets stockpile draft choices. I'm not a fan of putting all of your eggs in one basket and moving up to target specific players, unless they have great value. See Dion Jordan. There's really only a couple of player worth trading up for in round 1 that we might have a shot at (Danny Shelton and Amari Cooper), and the price will be steep. As in, no 2nd or 3rd day draft choices. In a draft that has pretty good value, I'd be pretty upset with the loss of a 2nd. Now, if he wants to move up in the second round, I'd be OK with it.

shamegame13 likes this.
  19. jboogie

jboogie The sky is NOT falling!

We still have a 7th also. We had 2 thanks to Jonathon Martin.

20. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Personally speaking, Id be upset if we made that trade. Im still holding out hope that he can develop. Plus what DE/LB can cover Gronk and Megatron? There is value in that skill set..

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Honestly we don't need an MLB.

Misi wasn't the PFF rated #1 MLB in the league or anything, but he wasn't horrible or played in anyway to be considered a need. Same with Taylor at the #2 CB.

Really the MAJOR holes we have are FS, OL depth, #2 WR.

As far those go, we may just resign Delmas and we may just move Landry to #2 (or hell Cameron) with the two TEs we have (assuming we sign Clay).

Point being, we are no longer in dire straits at any position other than some average OL depth.

22. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    Forgot to include this guy. http://www.apu.edu/stories/terrell-watson/

Seriously doubt he goes undrafted. Dolphins might want to manufacture another late round pick somehow and make sure they acquire this kid. He has the right stuff.

23. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    Not to mention Mathis is 33 years old, what other compensation are we receiving in this trade?

24. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    This year is time for Dion Jordan to step up and show why he was picked in the first round. The more aggressive Dline might be just what he needs to get in position to make some big plays.

mlb1399 and danmarino like this.
  25. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I don't agree with your assessment of MLB... Koa Misi has never finished a full season. And as an added bonus, getting a true starting MLB gives us depth were sorely lack, as Misi can play outside too. Given all of the injuries that took place at the LB spot last year, I think adding a MLB is critical.

And #2 WR? Who's our #1 WR?

gunn34 and Piston Honda like this.
  26. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I luv Fin but he has the Suh-fever.

Misi isnt just injury prone he lacks the experience and instincts to QB a defense. Moving him there last year was a desperation move, if he's there again this year someone needs to be slapped.

If Stills is a 1 who's the 2? If he's the two who's the 1? Matthews maybe? Hazel? A rookie? Hickey better be on his friggin job.

Clark Kent likes this.
  27. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Right now, I'm confused about our offensive scheme in general. I love the Cameron signing because I do believe he's in the 2nd teir of TE's in the NFL after Gronk and Graham. He's an excellent receiver and barring injury, should have a big year. And if we keep Clay, he's versatile enough to play Joker. So we could run a 2 TE scheme in theory, which would make the #1 WR position less of a priority. Certainly we could use some more depth. Problem is, while Clay fills the Aaron Hernandez Joker TE role extremely well, Cameron doesn't have the blocking ability of Gronk. Which makes the 2 TE system a little harder to implement as a base offense. Lazor would have to get creative.

I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Reggie Wayne. At 36 and coming off an ACL injury, he didn't have the best 2014 season. Obviously the colts parted ways for a reason... I don't know if that's a sign of permanent decline or not. Either way, he's a hometown guy and if he's got any gas left in the tank, a one year deal wouldn't be terrible for us. This WR corps could use an experienced vet.

Unless someone like a Danny Shelton or Armari Cooper falls into our lap (I also like LSU T/G Collins too), I think MLB should be a round 1 priority. At 14, we have pick of the litter most likely. If we trade down, we still might have pick of the litter (depending on how far we go down). Given that Hickey wanted Ryan Shazier @19 last season, I imagine MLB is still a priority for him too. As you said, moving Misi inside was desperation as we had no other choice.

28. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    We don't even know our full WR corps yet. If we don't come away with a draft pick or some other pickup it would be a shock. Wallace is the only real loss, and even then he was prone to dissapearing, never connected with THill (we will see if that was more him or THill this season) and was a negative voice at times - not to mention the salary. Stills can fill his role I think. Landry will take the production from Hartline, and if we can add a White/Cooper/Parker in the draft, I am much more favoring this years pass catchers than last.

29. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Wallace and Stills seems like a push. Wallace might be slightly better, but I don't think our offense regresses significantly because of that trade. Wallace was a #1 in name only. And Matthews might be better than both Gibson and Hartline. At least in this offense. Our WR corps isn't really better or worse IMO. It still has the same issues as last year. and we were pretty good last year on offense with an oft injured Clay. Plus we have Cameron. If Lazor can scheme these guys correctly, I think the production will at least be equal. More than likely, better.

30. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Surprise, Arizona
    If we draft another WR, it better be in the mid rounds.

I fully expect Matthews to make an impact this season.

#1 Stills
    #2 Landry
    #3 Matthews
    #4 Hazel
    #5 Draftee

31. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Am I the only guy here that Likes Green Beckham? I don't think he'd be there in the 2nd when it's our turn and depending who is there I might trade back in the 1st to get that third round pick back and try to grab him there.

I really like his speed for his size and the fact that he is 6'6". Seemed to catch the ball well in the combine.

PhinFan1968 and gunn34 like this.
  32. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    BTW, I read earlier that after yesterdays moves we are 20 mil under the cap. That includes the 7 mil we have allotted for Clay and 17+ mil in dead space. Plenty of room to manuveur still. And we havent even started looking at tier 2 free agents yet.

33. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    None of those are #1 receivers, and you can do a lot with a #1. I'm still on board with a WR with our first if the right prospect falls. Thankfully, our FA moves and this WR heavy draft make it possible to pick a WR with a lower pick if the right WR prospect doesn't fall to us in the 1st.

34. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Really not sure how Philbin and Green-Beckham would mesh. As we've seen, Suh is a dirty player on the field but totally professional otherwise. But Philbin + Green-Beckham?? I wouldn't chance it. The guy doesn't know how to put G-B in his place.

35. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    He does have character concerns for sure, but that guy could be dominant.

36. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    He could be. Just pointing out that Philbin will be his coach.

37. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    He is a person that has never had any structure, and has never really faced consequences. He is a head case that we are not able to afford a risk on. Yeah he might be dominant, but he could also just be Lawrence Phillips 2.0. Tigers very rarely change their stripes - Dez Bryant is the exception, not rule. And just look how far Dallas had to go to get him to this point? 24-7-365 attendant, specific behavior plans, etc. And many are still afraid he might blow up, or that something from his past will float up and sink him. We are not deep enough that we can afford to drop a high round pick on that type of player.

38. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Easy fix.......get rid of philbin.

Tin Indian and cbrad like this.
  39. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    Great pic! The good old days.

Maybe even late round for WR's. Kenny Bell? Dez Lewis? Later still ...Cam Worthy?? Jake Kumerow?

40. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    bump