1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ol' Mel has lost it!!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Apr 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    He said of the top 6 picks Miami's pick of Jake Long was the worst!!!????

Stating that since we took Henne we have NO confidence in Beck, therefore Ryan wouldve been the best option at #1.

Does this goof realize that before a QB can be succesfull he needs some protection??

Cant wait till Mcshay takes his job for good. BTW Mcshay thinks Gholston was the worst pick in the top 6 calling him a bust......hope he's right.

PhinsRock, Bpk, Kucha and 3 others like this.
  2. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Kiper loses more of my respect every day. That was the one and only reason I watched the draft on the NFLN

Bpk likes this.
  3. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Last time I checked, NFL franchises weren't asking Mel Kiper for draft advice. Nor have any offered him a FO job. His hair may be able to withstand Gale force winds, but he's an over-hyped gas bag IMO.

njfinfan and 13Marino13 like this.
  4. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    personally I hope Gholston has a great career.....just not those 2 weeks out of each year

5. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I hope he has a great career and his team never makes the playoffs :up:

alen1 likes this.
  6. Idahophin

Idahophin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Snake River Plain
    Mel needs a good woman and a break from football. When people don't agree with him he gets pretty vocal.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  7. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Yeah, there is a 'Patrick Bateman' quality to him isnt there

Bpk likes this.
  8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I loved the guy at OSU...he did man handle the #1 overall pick, but now I hope he sucks badly.

Same with Mangold, Whittner, Vrabel, Youboty, and every other Buckeye drafted in the EAST....

They are now the enemy.

9. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Kiper is an idiot.

Thank god i have the NFL network, I would much rather listen to Mayock than Kiper.

10. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Im not mad the guy hates Henne, thats his choice.

But to try and take it as far as calling Jake Long a bad pick?? WTF!

11. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I saw where he was concerned about Hennes long release...I watched probably 70-90 passes from Henne today and on none did he have a "long" release....you can watch it as easy as I can....it ain't there...does he make this stuff up to differentiate grades or just to stir the pot...?

12. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I like Mick Mayock from NFL network and I also like Todd Mcshay. Mel Kiper Jr is just stupid Jake Long a bad pick ummm just in case he did not know you need a good O - line to have a good QB. I was watching ESPN and Todd Mcshay said that Chad Henne was a great pick up for us. He also said that Jake Long was a great pick up because without an O - line no Qb would be good

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  13. Beck2Ginn

Beck2Ginn Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    sounds to me like a well-respected guy has formed his own opinion on things.

14. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I don't like Kiper nor McShay but I do agree with Kiper on his assessment of Henne. I thought the Henne/Langford picks were more questionable than the Long pick and the two RB picks were certainly worse.

15. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007

:no:

I hope he has a HOF career just we beat the Jets every time.

16. whatsburning

whatsburning Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Honoruru
    So I guess since the Patsies took that QB from SDSU, they have no confidence in Brady either!

17. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    How many people saw the Mel and McShay debate on day 2? It was absolutely great, McShay took him to school and Kiper looked like a fool and kept interrupting Kiper.

I heard rumors that Kipers contract is going to be up soon and that ESPN might not renew it. While Mel is very opinionated and annoying at times I like to get all the information and input i can from these so called experts.

BTW, I rank McShay and Maydock as a close 1 2, with Kiper following in 3.

18. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Mayock is better than both of them. Just got done watching the first day on NFL network and Mayock was calling them out.

19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Strategically, We took Jake to make a Qb better, well we have John Beck, but then we took Chad Henne, meaning picking Jake was meant to help a Qb that we didn't even have at #1 overall, we put the cart in front of the horse in Mel's opinion.

I disagree, but I can see where he is coming from, Irish wanted to nail the Qb spot down for us, not have another season of hope for Beck, that if he fails, we are back to square one next April unless we also took Chad Henne as well..

20. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I wouldn't mind Sam Bradford.

21. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I really don't care what Mel Kiper thinks.

22. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Kiper also thought Ryan Leaf was going to win Super Bowls, he thought he was that good. Just saying....

23. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    McShay also said REggie bush was the best back in the 06 draft and Houston was stupid for passing on him.

24. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i know i all ready put a link on the henne drops grade thread

he said leaf would put up ws himself he was a winnner etc

mel kiper has gotten so bad that this was the first year i didnt watch the draft on espn i watched it on NFL network kiper is an idiot who will be gone soon

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  25. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I dunno, that's what he said about Peyton Manning, not Leaf.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?id=3327728 - Kiper on Leaf

vs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=3327711 - Kiper on Manning

Striking likes this.
  26. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    And that's where I got it from. :up:

bran likes this.
  27. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    So did most people, most notoriously the GM of the San Diego chargers. The guys been doing this for 30 years, hes got a right to his opinion.

I dont remember him stating flat out that Long was a bad pick. I just remember him wondering why, if we dont have confidence in Beck as evidenced by the Henne pick, we didnt pick up the best QB in the draft.

Its a legit question imo, and while I see where hes coming from, I think Long was the best pick for our team. I do agree with him in being uncertain about Henne. I hope im wrong though.

Striking likes this.
  28. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007

Don't forget, he criticized us for drafting Henne when we had Beck but didn't do the same when Green Bay drafted Brohm when the Packers had Rodgers waiting in the wing to replace Favre.

That tells me he has a bone to pick for some odd reason for us drafting Henne.

29. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    He was sucking up to both of them.

Point is the QB position has historically been the toughest position to evaulate when he comes to kids coming out of college, that's why they are such a risk to draft at the top of the draft.

And that's why I could care less what Kiper has to say about Henne.

30. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    because most people including the gm of the miami dolphins thinks the guy is not worth the pick :up:

the guy has an opinion but kiper thinks he knows everything there is about football when he doesnt know **** he knows as much as any of us if he was so ****ing good at evaluating talent he would be in a front office somewhere doing real draft boards not mock ones

31. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    One could say that about anyone in his line of work.

32. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    It is the toughest and I don't usually follow experts advice. I look at how they play on the field and what I've seen from Henne does not impress me any bit.

33. dbergan

dbergan Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 15, 2007
    No doubt man.....it was amazing. He actually started to get embarrassed at how accurate he was...and I mean throughout the whole damn draft. The Comish even teased him on it....wow.

I am now exclusively watching the NFLN....this guy is the real deal. Kip needs to put the hair grow remedy away along w/ his standing...he is washed up IMHO. Used to be a beast but his days are numbered....I think he is NOT putting the effort in that the others are. :cry:

34. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    yeah but he takes his job too seriously everytime someone tries to debate him he gets so offeneded and starts attacking the person
    look at some of his past mocks they are hillariously bad yet for some reason people take him so seriously

35. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think what Kiper was trying to say was that if Tunaland wanted to take a qb, he should have taken Ryan at #1. The flip of that is that if we had taken Ryan at #1, which was clearly too early for him, he'd have hung the Fins in effigy for taking him that high. I personally think #3 was too early too, but the Falcons needed a qb worse than we did, so it made sense to take him then. The thing is, it appears to me that taking Henne wasn't planned as a strategy, but it was a "Hey, how he'd fall this far." If the plan was to take Henne or Flacco at 32, that's where they'd have taken one of them...(except that Flacco was gone). I don't think that Brohm was in their plans at all.

The bottom line is that on the surface, it look like there was a plan to take Henne, but in actuality, I just don't think it was really planned that they take a QB at the 57 spot.

36. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl

because his beloved ravens had to trade up to get joe flacco

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  37. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Ronnie Bass likes this.
  38. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
  39. dbergan

dbergan Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 15, 2007
    How did Kip do this draft? Anyone have a comparison on how he did vers the other primetime gurus? For that matter....wonder how he did against Boomer??:pointlol:

40. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'll watch NFLN once they get their production up and doesn't seem like BET to MTV (ESPN). Production value on ESPN is just so much better. Or was it just me that had audio etc. cutting off on that first day on NFLN?

I dont' like McShay. I've seen Kiper school him too. When discussing Baltimore draft needs McSHay went on and on about how they need a tackle, don't have anyone etc., and Kiper says hold up, they drafted a kid last year Gaither. McShay was shell shocked had no comeback.