1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old/Slow Computer Question

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Layfield, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Layfield

Layfield New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    I have a relatively old computer (2004 Vaio) and its been running slow as hell for a while now. Virus scan brings up nothing, but I still might have something slowing it down.

Anyway, is there anything I could do to speed it up. I have already disabled all programs at start. I was thinking about wiping the hard drive clean and just reinstalling Windows XP on it and nothing else? What do you guys think?

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Reformatting and reinstalling Windows is the quickest way to go, yes. If you've got all your necessary files backed up, it's better than spending hours trying to troubleshoot an issue.

Go for it.

MikeHoncho and Layfield like this.
  3. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    To add what Desides said, if you do restore your OS, it wouldn't hurt to set a schedule to defrag your hard drive. It also might not to hurt to invest in some more RAM if your laptop can handle it. I would imagine yours can support at least up to 2 GB and I'm sure it's not maxed out yet... I could be wrong though.

4. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    reformatting is the best way but might want to check what you are running as if you are running demanding programs that would cause a slow down. You can also screw with the virtual memory and the number of pages it uses, but you may not want to do that lol

5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

old computer = (yeah you guys know i'm gonna say it). linux. bit of a learning curve but for the average user there's nothing linux can't do that windows can. and it can go lighter than windows could ever dream of.

padre31 likes this.
  6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    How would you reformat and reinstall Windows? I'm not too smart about computers so I don't have a clue as to how I would go and do that. I'm not sure how you back up files either, honestly. My computer is about as slow as Rosie O'Donnell's time in cross country running.

7. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    do you have the original windows disc? backing up your stuff just involves moving it to another drive that you won't be reformatting. I have also backed up my stuff by zipping a ton of it and sending it to my email addresses lol

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't have the original Windows disc anymore.

Could I back-up my files by saving it to a USB drive for example?

Sorry if I sound like a complete ****** lol.

9. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

sure you can. that's what it's there for :)

alen1 likes this.
  10. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    yes , but it all boils down to how much you are saving.
    You can try this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx

Heres a general explanation on how to back up your computer:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Back-up-a-Computer

and you can try this to retrieve all your files after

alen1 likes this.
  11. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    :lol:

time for someone to buy an external hard drive