1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Omar K Rosenhaus says Roth would make more if phins released him

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Sep 6, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://twitter.com/OmarKelly

FWIW, I smell pot stirring, but to me it comes as no surprise.

What has fascinated me about roth is he has a bum groin, he is the new AJ Duhe, and Duhe's career was ended by a bad groin that he rushed recovering from in an attempt to play in the early to mid 80's...

PhinsRock, FinSane, Bpk and 4 others like this.
  2. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    To which Sean Smith's agent replied...

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

PhinsRock, FinSane, Bpk and 5 others like this.
  3. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    This is such bull- I swear if hes holding out because he thinks he can make more money on another team I say we trade his *** right now.. You play and you will get paid like the man.. Pull this pre-madona **** and your gone..

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I don't believe he can be traded from the PUP list Dorfdad, he cannot practice either.

This is going to come to a head sooner or later, to me Sparano is done with Roth and is just sending a strong message that he will not be screwed around with, Roth may or may not be injured, either way though..Sparano had -0- problem putting him on PUP and talking up the talented Q Moses..

In that great line from the Soprano's "Those who want respect, give respect"

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Omar K has strangely untweeted that post and Mike Berrardino has picked up the story:

That sounds like a feeler to me...

Bpk, anlgp and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  6. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    If Drew messes around with this management his player could be out the whole year with the same small paycheck as Drew is saying.:wink2:

Bpk and gafinfan like this.
  7. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Ya know what... Screw matt roth. If thats really whats going on here... honestly... just ask for your release, and get out of here. This team doesnt need that crap. Sure, you adapted well to your position change last year, but Roth hasnt really done much to warrant a big fat contract that apparently he's after. shut up, play... then maybe we'll pay. Enough with this sense of entitlement crap. Of course... thats if thats the case here anyways.

Im frustrated tonight :lol: and this news is just ridiculous if true IMO.

Larry Little likes this.
  8. emale2u1

emale2u1 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Roth was put on the non football injury PUP, which means the dolphins don't have to pay his salary. On the regular PUP, the team is still responsible for the salary. Looks like the dolphins "one uped" Roth.

9. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    That's awesome.

Rhody Phins Fan and gafinfan like this.
  10. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    This is beginning to look more and more about the 5th year itch.....

Roth was drafted in a class when it almost became common to sign a 5 year deal. I remember longer rookie contracts being a hot topic a year earlier after the 2004 draft. The talk was that teams started demanding longer terms in 2002-2003 for all the money players were receiving in their draft contracts. I think Spielman signed everyone of the draft picks to a 5 year deals in 2004.

I remember thinking that the players who were taking the deals were betting against their own success in the league when they took the early money. A couple years later you had morons like Anquan Boldin signing bad deals two years and three years into their original bad deal. I think it was Travis Henry who had wasted all of his original contract to the point that he was on a year to year "resign" schedule just to get him enough money to make it through the season. It's a "resign" schedule that I think Ricky Williams is currently under.

The long and short of this situation (if it's a contract situation) is it's a bad deal all around the draft table. The teams are paying too much money up front. The players are taking too long a contract to receive that money up front. The NFL has got to get on top of the draft process. Rookie contracts are creating havoc with teams throughout the league.

opfinistic and Trowa like this.
  11. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Unbelievable. If this is true, Matt Roth is seriously ****ing up. I would have expected more from him. I didn't think he was that type of player. I guess I was wrong.

Not to mention that if he winds up on IR all season, he's gonna lose guaranteed money on his next contract. If he just did his job and busted his butt this season, he could have pulled in a premium deal... or got an extension offer from the Phins.

Man... I am just disappointed. :pity:

12. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    If this truely is only about money, my hats off to this front office and coaching staff... again

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    TBH, with the play of Moses and Taylor, I forgot all about Roth. And with the way he is treating this situation, he may be gone soon.

dolphindebby likes this.
  14. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Problem is that Q and JT are both more of a puss rusher kind, less of a run stuffer, while Roth was a great edge setter last year.

15. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Im not really sure of Roths contract so im wondering?

Does the possibility of a uncapped yr coming up play into this at all?

Bpk likes this.
  16. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

To be fair, there are always two sides to this story.

Perhaps there is pressure for Roth to play hurt, but he knows darned well it's a huge long-term risk for him to do so with his groin and so he would want more money if he is going to risk being able to even GET a big contract two years from now (as I assume no new CBA would extend him automatically with us, no?).

Or, perhaps Roth's doctors have told him his groin will only last a couple years at a high level and then he'll have trouble maintaining his health, so his payday will have to come now or never. Obviously he wouldn;t publicly say "My body is gonna be shot in two years) or no one would pay him on a new contract. So instead he tries to get a new deal now, while he still has enough ability and health.

No matter how you look at it, I think this stems from a concern over the long term health of his groin and body and risk versus the level of reward he'd be paid by the Dolphins right now.

I am not saying it's right, but Roth must have reasons of his own that motivate him. We just don;t understand them or know what they are.

Maybe if we knew we'd be less judgemental of him.

Or maybe we'd still think he's being greedy and unappreciative.

siciliansith likes this.
  17. Bpk

I believe he is a Free Agent after this year... IF there is a new CBA, which seems unlikely. With no new CBA I believe his rookie contract effectively gets stretched another year. That would mean playing two more years on his bad groin and hoping to still have a high market value afterwards.

I don;t think Roth is confident his body will hold up if he plays through this injury. That's my opinion. he thinks he'll be risking his long term health for a low salary, and potentially risking being able to be healthy enough in two years to even get a decent payday.

That's the only thing that makes sense to me here.

siciliansith likes this.
  18. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    It should not have anything to do with it. He is scheduled to make 700,000 for playing the 2009 season. He scheduled to be a free agent in 2010 - the uncapped year.

siciliansith likes this.
  19. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Yea I told yall this when I heard Omar Kelly on Big O's show on Sat Morning. It has to do with this being a contract year for him and Jason Taylor's presence. He knew Taylor coming in here would reduce his playing time and take snaps away from him, hurting his production which would then hurt his value come Free Agency time.

20. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

If Roth is playing games with management, he's going to find out Parcells and Ireland are not people you want to mess with. If he has a possible career 3ending groin injury like Duhe, then I'd just as soon see us trade him now and get something for him while he still has some value. Send him to Oakland for a first round pick. :lol:

21. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not expecting Matt Roth to play this year. Depending on the play of Jason Taylor and Quentin Moses, I wouldn't expect Matt Roth back next year either.

He's a fine player to stop the run on 1st and 2nd down, but this whole mess smells of deceit and shadiness.

22. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    If we have an uncapped year, you need six years of service to become an unrestricted free agent. I'm not sure how that works out for 5th year players with expiring contracts (I believe they become restricted free agents). But they will not be UFA's.

As mentioned earlier, I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Roth has never been a guy to not play. He's always been a warrior and a hard worker. I believe he's not 100 percent. But his contract status and long-term situation is playing a part in the situation, absolutely.

There are plenty of examples of guys coming back early....from any number of injuries....and never being the same. Talking to Keith Sims last year, he spoke about how he ended his career in Washington. That he had a partially torn Achilles that obviously should have kept him out awhile. But once the coaches got a look at his backups, it was clear they were in trouble without him. So Keith went back in there. He didn't practice the rest of the year and shot up the final 12 games of his season. He ended up rupturing the Achilles in December and never played again.

Keith says he could have played another 3 years had he not done what he did. He cites the unspoken mentality between players. That you just go out there and man up for your teammates. Perhaps if he was in his his 5th (like Roth) rather than his 11th he'd have made a different choice.

The point being, guys are expected to play thru injuries. But as soon as you're hurt, you're not good to anyone anymore. It's plainly obvious with this regime. "If you're not out there by Tuesday, we're going in another direction".

It's a cold business and players have to look out for themselves. It's one thing if Roth isn't hurt and is simply holding out. But it's another if he is hurt and is worried about putting his career on the line when he's close to cashing in. That's where the agent protects the player from the team.

23. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Sims also told me about what happened in prior to leaving the Dolphins.

Back in 1995 -- Shula's last season -- Keith played thru another bad injury (Turf Toe?, I can't remember). And the reason he did was because Shula -- who, like most other former players, he reveres -- promised to take care of him in the offseason.

Well, 1996 rolls around and Jimmy Johnson is now coach, GM, dictator. And he begins picking off Shula's players. Sims was supposed to get a new contract in exchange for playing thru injury. Obviously that is off the table now. "You didn't play so well last year," said Jimmy.

Matt Roth played hurt last year. To what extent and how much the staff knew about it is anyone's guess. But Roth has had groin problems going back to 2007. He played thru it in '08 while learning a new position, had surgery in January and apparently (IMO) is still having trouble with it.

He's in a contract year. His first contract year. It's a difficult situation.

OT: It is Is there any question this regime would cast him aside once his groin was done 'for good'?

24. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    You know, I don't think Roth is holding out. I just don't see how he gains anything by pretending to be injured.

A lot of pro athletes have clauses that forbid certian activities (i.e. riding motorcycles, playing another sport etc.) "I think" Roth was doing something his contract did not allow and he lied about it when he came to camp. I think that is why the front office is pissed at him.

MrClean likes this.
  25. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I'm sure he's not pretending by any stretch...The question is how bad is the injury ?? The question is, was it really bad enough to keep him from attending camp or was it only bad enough for him to attempt to make his point to the organization that he should have his contract extended before this season ??

I don't know the answer, I just see this whole situation as more than what it appears to be...there are too many unanswered questions.

dolphindebby likes this.
  26. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Its just curious that he has an injury which is a concern, yet his agent only talks about him making more money elsewhere. I know an agent is only about the money but he should be more concerned about his players health considering if his player can't play he can't earn any money.
    I hope it isn't an attempt to get more money but if it is, I bet his future in Miami is over with Parcells in control.

27. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    OK so here is what we do sit his *** for 7 games since hes on PUP.. Than the second hes off that trade his *** to the Detroit lions.. (Seriously) let him go play for them and get something for him beacuse if hes an Unrestricted free agent he can walk and we get nothing. Trade him get a 5th or 6th if you must and cut the ropes.

We need no distractions, and next year when were in the SUperbowl Roth can enjoy his new paycheck in ****land..

28. Bpk

So does this mean you are FOR Roth or AGAINST him.... because I can;t tell from that. lol.

Ahhh, poor Matty Roth. No one loves him anymore.

29. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    While Roth would probably make more if he were released (assuming he could pass a physical), the guy who would certainly make more would be Rosenhaus.