1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Omar Kelly: Benching Penny Crazy

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Larry Little, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Nice to see someone making sense:

Benching Pennington Is Crazy Talk

Omar Kelly has become one of my favorite SoFla sports writers/blogologists. It's not just this one article, and I don't agree with the guy 100% of the time, however in this particular instance...

... dueces to you, Omar.

Larryfinfan, GISH and hugoguzman like this.
  2. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    good article

3. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    omar is an idiot.. one decent article does not a sportswriter make.. he and armando probably have a good cop bad cop thing going on.

4. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    :up:

I don't even bother reading that paper anymore, especially after they were openly campaigning for people to vote for them. :pity:

5. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    You have every right to be wrong. :wink2:

funkdat likes this.
  6. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Actually I thought Omar was going to follow the same line as Mando as he has in the past but I guess he thought it was time to establish his own identity .:pointlol:

Larryfinfan and like2god like this.
  7. GRT8

GRT8 Premium Member Luxury Box

Mar 24, 2008
    Virgina
    He is in the locker room interviewing players. Give the guy his due.:up:

funkdat likes this.
  8. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

Oh. Is he finally wearing that "I'm a doofus" sign I sent him a couple of months ago? Bout bloody time ...

9. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    To each their own bro, I've been folowing that moron since he started. His type of journalism is found at the National Inquirer.. he's nothing but a rumor monger and I have no respect for him at all. Like Crunch, I don't even bother going to his newspaper anymore. I appreciate that you indentified who's article it was, so I won't give them my traffic. It's perfectly fine with me that "you" think he is quality, somebody has to read him, I just think he's garbage.

10. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not a local SoFla guy... I live in Nashville, TN. Since you guys have never had to listen to the likes of George Plaster, I'll just assume your 'idiot' bar is set higher than mine.

Mindwarp and cnc66 like this.
  11. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    You realize that in journalism they show you how to write to get readers attention from the get-go... He's getting hits and that's what he's suppose to do.

With all due respect, all types of journalism could be found at the National Inquirer... There's a reason I wasn't a journalism major... Because I knew what they do to your writing style... Unfortunately to succeed as a journalist, you have to do whatever it takes to get views or else you're outta there... Armando/Omar do their thing and they're successful for it...

Hate their opinion, but they're not bad journalists... They stir the pot but they remember the most important thing about journalism... Hauling in the readers... like they're suppose to do as journalists...

funkdat and Stringer Bell like this.
  12. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

Journalists are "supposed" to do a lot more than just hauling in readers. That's a pretty screwed definition of journalism and one no collegue of mine would ascribe to. Contrary to common belief, there is an ethics code and a standard of practice that many, many journalists around the world adhere. One of the fundamental basics of this code is that a journalist doesn't deal in opinion but in facts. Armando and Omar do neither; they've discovered that lovely little niche called blog and happily mix one with the other until no one can be quite sure which is which. A million people reading and buying this stuff doesn't make them good journalists, just as - hyperbole alert - millions of people voting for Hitler didn't make him a good chancellor.

The thing is that both do not remember the most important thing about journalism - that they are supposed to get their facts straight and report them in the most unbiased way possible so that their readers can form their own opinion. Neither do they get their facts straight nor do they particularly bother to hold back their own - completely arbitrary - opinion. That, my friend, is the very definition of bad journalism.

13. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    With all due respect... all journalists deal in opinions. All of them. Otherwise, they'd be nothing more than human 'AP wires', copying cold facts. Honestly, there is no real art to that, and I believe that journalists should be allowed to present their point of view in an article.

Besides, even when dealing in cold, hard facts, journalists tend to omit or ignore certain ones and cherry-pick others to support a particular view. Whether this is done on purpose, by accident, due to ignorance, or subconsciously, is all a matter of opinion... but, it happens.

When it comes to journalism, especially sports journalism, I want a little more than a stat sheet. Personally, I WANT to read articles by people with their own opinions... but then again, I have an open mind, and the ability to process and re-evaluate things when faced with opposing views.

Than again... that's just my opinion. :up:

14. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    We'll have to agree to disagree then..

I know that it's not ethical to report opinion based pieces as facts, but in a lot of situations it's how you make a living..

15. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I'm also not a fan of Omar Kelly's work in general, but I did like this particular piece.

16. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

We can certainly do that but what I wont agree with - not even to disagree - is that this particular form of writing is considered good journalism by any well-respected journalistic institute I know about. And it's certainly not taught there like you implied in your first post.

With all due respect ... that's simply not true. And since you mentioned the "AP Wire" - there's a reason the guys working there are widely regarded as top of their business and their stuff gets wired around the world.

... as opposed to?

Look, if opinion disguised as fact is your personal cup of tea, read away. It's not like I particularly care which newspaper you read (since mine isn't published in the US :wink2:). And there's nothing particularly wrong with an opinion piece - if it's labeled an opinion piece. The problem isn't that Kelly or Armando have an opinion; the problem is that they verifiably diguise it as facts. See, I happen to like Ethan Skolnick and his blog a lot. Like reading his opinion, too. Because with Ethan, I always know which is which - fact and opinion. He actually bothers to differentiate. Kelly and Armando don't which is why they are bad journalists.

evz and Larryfinfan like this.
  17. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by Armando and Kelly 'disguising their opinions as facts'. When I've read their articles, I've had little trouble distinguishing the two. And, I also like Skolnick's blog. He's probably my favorite.

But, I think I see what's going on here. I'm a musician... so, when I hear something that I would consider crap on the radio, it hits a nerve in me that simply doesn't exist for people who aren't musicians. It doesn't make them wrong to like a particular artist whose CD I wouldn't wipe my butt with, or anything, but I am most certainly a music snob.

For example, I used to think that anyone that liked Pearl Jam was an idiot. In my opinion, they have the worst guitar player in rock history, their songs are lame and contrived, and Eddie Vedder is about as shallow an 'artist' as they come. I think they were, and still are, absolutely horrible.

Chances are... you have a Pearl Jam CD.

18. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

Naah. I don't own CDs. I'm a vinyl guy. And I'm a music snob.

Chances are ... you have a CD.

19. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Benching Pennington would be dumb. And anyone who disagreez wit me iz a crazy fool. l2g is standing by, ready to ban anyone with a conflicting opinion on this matter. right l2g.....? :shifty:

20. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Nope... all my music is carved into clay tablets and translated by blind priests.

21. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

So that's where my priests went!

22. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Hahahaha...

23. Loyal Fin

Loyal Fin Business as usual

Mar 22, 2008
    South Florida
    I'll tell ya what's going on..

People are just different.
    Some fans are just too critical. For whatever reason, the critical fans read what's written and think sports writers are enforcing opinions as facts. They imagine the sports writer as this monster, trying to destroy their personal evaluations. What these fans don't realize is that the writer is simply sharing his or her evaluations with everyone. Sure, some (if not ALL) journalists write a certain way or say certain things, to attract more attention. One would be naive to say that writers in general do not push their limits and express themselves actively or aggresively for a heightened reading expierence.
    If there are 90 fans reading it, 30 will appreciate the slant. One group of 30 will throw mud at the writer, like on a forum. The last group of 30 fans will recognize the slant, and go about their day. With the slanted material not affecting these group of fans because they are level headed fans with open minds. They realize the journalist is just trying to.......evolve in their profession or position. Or expierement with their readers... who knows?
    If your boss orders you to spice up your column to get more "hits" or subscriptions...what holds you back? The ethical "responsibility" to readers? Fine, don't cross any lines.. Write about the team.. Write HOWEVER you want, WHATEVER you want, just as long as you write about the [miami dolphins] and don't make false statements that fans can refute.
    You think these sports writers can just make up stuff??? No, they write personal evaluations about the facts.. If these evaluations contradict with your own, it doesn't make a difference. They are PERSONAL evaluations.
    At the end of the day, the sports writer gets paid, the athletes get paid, and the fan limits itself from a source of evaluation or insight.

Who loses more?

This isn't to say there are not poor writers in sports journalism.
    Armando Salguero is a poor writer. At times, he just doesn't make sense.

Omar Kelly isn't the best writer to grace a newspaper but in my opinion, he is light years ahead of Armando. He has an urban demeanor that reflects in his writing, but I don't expect him to change his lifestyle because he writes about my Phins. I just read what he writes....take it for what it is.....and go about my day.. I don't throw any mud at the guy because I disagree with him.

funkdat, NJFINSFAN1 and Larry Little like this.
  24. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    People who spend a lot of time on forums such as this one tend to be more knowledgeable that the average fans therefore we may be more critical of the local rag writers than the average fans .

The knowledge base we are exposed to on a daily basis from our Columnists,Writers,Gurus,Scouts and some of our members who have been Pro Scouts,coaches or played the game is unmatched anywhere in the web so we may be a little more discriminating and expect more from the local press .

I have heard it mentioned several times that the quality of our Club level far exceeeds the quality of many of the paid subscription services that are better known .

I may be a little biased but I would take our writers and experts over the rag writers any day .:yes:

evz and cnc66 like this.
  25. Loyal Fin

Loyal Fin Business as usual

Mar 22, 2008
    South Florida
    oh, absolutely. i enjoy the commentary and insight on this forum more than any other source. i have learned a lot about football from the experts you a refering to. pieces like cons keys to the game are unbiased and incredibly knowledgable. CK is a great writer and his insight is very valuable to me... there are many more that i come here specifically to read.
    but this notion that some fans are average and some are elite is ridicluous. either you support you team or you dont. granted, there are people who are more knowledgable than others, but that doesnt make them better fans.
    i had this very conversation with a season ticket holder at the charger game. he said he has been a fan for years and purposely avoids message boards and newpaper blogs because of the bias to the source. he said fans on the internet have this complex where they think they are better fans than every other type of fan. i agree with him....there are millions of die hard miami dolphin fans who prefer not to get fat in front of the computer reading things that arent secrets or inside information.
    im different though. i love wasting time on the internet, reading the wonderful perspective on here while drinking some brews. its my homepage!
    my only qualm is the personal attacks on omar. no one here knows anything about him, so why attack him personally? if you disagree with him, fine.. that doesnt make him any lesser than you...
    the very idea that i am better than someone makes me worse than them.
    i guess im just young and idealistic...
    either way, i appreciate this website and will continue to support it.

CrunchTime and cnc66 like this.