1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Omar Mocking Mocks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Pandarilla likes this.
  2. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I think what he says is pretty true... while guys like Mel Kiper, Mike Mayock, and Todd McShay may know nearly every single draft prospect, they likely don't know the teams as well as the beat writers.

pacadermng67 likes this.
  3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    In a vacuum, sure. Not when it's our beat writers we're talking about.

This is basically bald-faced self aggrandizement.

Gunner and dolfan32323 like this.
  4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    If the beat writers are doing a good job then they should be able to learn enough.

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agree that the beat writers are usually better at predicting their team's pick, but not that they're able to break down the game of the 53rd player (or the first player for that matter).

6. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    They know more about our team than the average fan or the average draftnik is all I'm saying.

7. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    Personally I like mocks from Kiper and company better since they know the prospects better - best thing about mocks is to go back and look after the draft and just see if choices Miami took slotted well compared to where Kiper thought they should go.

8. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This is saying less than you apparently think, IMO.

Boik14, SCall13 and rafael like this.
  9. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

[​IMG]

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    A) really glad I unfollowed Omark and do not bother with the Sun Sentinnel
    B) eh, mock drafts are merely gossip outside of the first few selections

I like the passion of those who do 7 rd mock drafts, my goodness though that is like hitting a trifecta for it to come to pass.

gafinfan likes this.
  11. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I misunderstood the caption. I thought Omar was actually stepping up to the plate a giving his mock draft. No balls no glory there.

All i got out of that is a beat writer bragging about beat writers.

12. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    How the hell would you even say that? Fiftythirdth?

13. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Omar's ineptitude spills over to his tweets on Phins.com twitter feed. He gets harrassed for his crappy non-sequiters on the regular. Then he vehemently defends his right to tweet despite only needing to start a seperate account...Glory hound, all the way

14. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I think Fiftythreeth.

Sleepy, unluckyluciano and RevRick like this.
  15. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Omar Kelly is a talentless blowhard who is starved for attention. He doesn't know dick about the Dolphins despite being the beat writer.

16. Die_Nasty

Die_Nasty Well-Known Member

May 16, 2008
    West Palm Beach, FL
    53th, I LoLed. You would think someone that is publishing content would maybe proofread or even spell-check their work. I couldn't even read the rest of the article.

17. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Speaking of Mockery, my misadventures on #MockFour continue. I just traded out my #73 overall pick for picks #91, #138 and #164. Here's a recap of what's happened:

1. Ascertained before the Draft started that the Cleveland Browns GM was very likely to take Brandon Weeden at #22 overall.

2. As my #8 pick approached, I reached a deal with the Bengals to trade UP from #42 overall to #21 overall in exchange for my #72 and #103 picks.

3. With the deal in hand (but kept secret from everyone) I picked DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina at #8 overall.

4. I engaged in a series of tweets to other #MockFour participants seeking trades from #42 to the "late 20's or early 30's". Also sent out a "mistaken" DM via text to my assistant GM something along the lines of "you hear back on #29? there's no way he takes BW at #22." All of this was smokescreen designed to keep Cleveland's GM from trading ahead of the #21 pick. He knew I wanted Weeden bad. Everyone that follows me knows I like Weeden, it's a downside to being a media guy and making all your opinions public.

5. Cheesy as it all was, the smokescreen worked. The Cleveland GM and Asst. GM admit they intended to take Weeden at #22 and were fooled by my smokescreens into thinking I wasn't trading up to the Bengals #21 pick. They had a trade up to #20 on the table and chose not to go through with it.

6. With pick #72 and #103 now gone, only possessing 6 picks in a Draft where I originally had 8 picks...I decided to trade down in the 3rd round in exchange for a couple more 5th round picks. Upon executing the trade, the Colts (pick #63) said he would have moved all the way from #63 to #91 at the same price I got to move from #73 to #91.

I've got 6 picks left and there's lots of talent on the board. No position is really off the board for me. Here are some of the players I find value in that remain on the board as of the top of the 3rd round:

QB: Russell Wilson, B.J. Coleman, Chandler Harnish
    RB: Vick Ballard, Bernard Pierce, Cyrus Gray, Isaiah Pead, Ronnie Hillman, Michael Smith, Jonas Gray, Fozzy Whittaker
    FB: Emil Igwenagu, Cody Johnson
    TE: Dwayne Allen, Michael Egnew, Chase Ford, Drake Dunsmore, Derek Carrier, Kevin Koger, Josh Chichester, Brad Herman
    WR: Chris Givens, Devon Wylie, A.J. Jenkins, Ryan Broyles, T.Y. Hilton, Juron Criner, Rishard Matthews, Marvin Jones, Nick Toon, Joe Adams, Marvin McNutt, Dwight Jones, Eric Page, Chris Owusu, Dale Moss, Marquis Maze, LaVon Brazill
    OL: Brandon Brooks, Bobby Massie, Phil Blake, Desmond Wynn, Al Netter, Jeff Allen, Mitchell Schwartz, Tony Bergstrom, Tom Compton, Jeff Adams, Levy Adcock
    DE: Cam Johnson, Jake Bequette, Olivier Vernon, Malik Jackson, Jamie Blatnick, Tyrone Crawford, Jonathan Massaquoi
    DT: Mike Martin, Josh Chapman, DaJohn Harris, Derek Wolfe, Jaye Howard, Micanor Regis
    LB: James-Michael Johnson, Mychal Kendricks, Tank Carder, Jerry Franklin, Noah Keller, Adrien Cole, Miles Burris, Kyle Wilbur, Josh Kaddu, Tahir Whitehead
    CB: Trumaine Johnson, Alfonzo Dennard, Josh Robinson, Josh Norman, Dwight Bentley, Coryell Judie, Micah Pellerin, Larry Parker
    DS: Markelle Martin, Brandon Taylor, Aaron Henry, Janzen Jackson, Winston Guy, Duke Ihenacho, Jerrell Young, Tavon Wilson, Neiko Thorpe, Josh Bush

ssmiami likes this.
  18. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    I agree. I knock the guy sometimes but have to give Omar Credit when credit is due. Most of these draft experts are guessing as much as anyone else is. I look forward to the day when Mel Kiper Jr. gets abducted by aliens.

19. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Their blogs aren't edited. The media assumes (incorrectly) that the reason blogs are kicking their *** is because they're not edited or filtered. In imitating and implementing what they think blogs are, they wind up with grammatical mistakes like 53th and use of 's as indication of plural rather than possessive. Apparently people who write for a living are also dependent on spell checkers. Sad.

20. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    That was one of the most arrogant and pompous pieces I have ever read. I stopped reading after the second paragraph.

21. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    You mean he WASN'T!!!!!!! I thought he protected his head with the tin helmet!
    [​IMG]

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Omar is an idiot, but he's harmless. Sure he's right about mock drafts. So what? Its common sense. Its not like he mapped the human genome. Like I said, he's harmless.

The problem is Jason Cole and his henchman Armando. These two clowns are doing real damage to the team and the perception of the team nationally. Virtually every negative article is either from them or quotes/refers to them. Everything from the Harbaugh fiasco to Fisher to the Marshall trade, has all either been exaggerated or purely fabricated by these two schmucks. They are playing the fans like violins.

I know, I know, people are going to come on here and say, "Blah, blah, blah, Ireland is destroying us and Ross is a moron, blah, blah, blah." And I'll ask why, and those people will inevitably post links to articles.....by or referencing Cole/Armando. Which should clinch my argument...but alas, it won't. The best part of this is, most of those people hate the media any other day on any other issue for exaggerating or fabricating stories and the way they manipulate people, but when it comes to the Dolphins the media is gospel.

Bulldog likes this.
  23. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Every time I read an Omar article I always end it thinking "Where is Draftwinds!"

24. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    These two sentences sum up Omar perfectly. This should be on his tombstone.

#1 fan, Sleepy and Bulldog like this.
  25. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

I think Josh Robinson would have alot of value if he is still there with your next pick, with the amount of CB's being brought in by Ireland Im guessing we will draft a CB early if we like him.

Ofcourse Miami is crying out for a WR also, I just do not see a huge difference in the WR's you have listed....also like Tom Compton and Bergstrom as RT prospects. Keep us posted.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I agree Josh Robinson would be a good shout but at that position guys like Dwight Bentley, Alfonzo Dennard and Trumaine Johnson are also worth the squeeze. And a guy that I have tabbed for later in the Draft, Larry Parker, I believe is a lot better than people think. So we'll see.

You're right, everyone wants a receiver or two. And indeed guys like Nick Toon, Devon Wylie and Ryan Broyles will be HIGH on my list at 3.29 when it comes up, if they're available.

But if guys like Bobby Massie, Malik Jackson and James-Michael Johnson are all still available...then I've got myself a damn hard choice. I might trade down again.

27. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It's probably related to the thinking that a post has more credibility if it has a link. I generally don't agree with that thinking.

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The picks I originally had at #72 and #73 just went by. Cincinnati took WR Marvin Jones at #72 and Baltimore took C Ben Jones at #73.

The choices would've come down to (for me):

WR Nick Toon
    WR Devon Wylie
    WR Ryan Broyles
    WR Marvin Jones
    TE Michael Egnew
    DE Malik Jackson
    DE Cam Johnson
    LB James-Michael Johnson
    CB Trumaine Johnson (whom I'd move to FS)
    CB Dwight Bentley
    CB Alfonzo Dennard
    CB Josh Robinson

The only one among those that is gone at this moment is WR Marvin Jones. I think I made the right choice giving up picks #72 and #103 to ensure I get Weeden, and trading down from #73 to #91 in order to pick up two extra 5th rounders.

29. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I used to like Omar until I started following him on Twitter awhile back. Stopped following him shortly thereafter once I realized the kind of person he is.

I guess Twitter is good in that regard - shows you the true side of people.

30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I just saw a quote that I thought was funny. Said I now like people I don't know because of Twitter, and dislike people I do know because of Facebook.

31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I've made my decision at 3.29 (#91 overall). Now it's a matter of whether he comes available.

32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    *ALERT* A judge has issued a warrant for the immediate arrest of #MockFour Miami Dolphins General Manager known as "C.K." (alias: "ckparrot", alias: "Velvet Jones") for the crime of grand larceny in the first degree. The perpetrator did knowingly and with intent steal Oklahoma wide receiver Ryan Broyles at the bottom of the 3rd round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Broyles was clearly a borderline 1st round pick possessive of one of the widest arrays of skill sets at the position, prior to a knee injury late in the 2011 season. Only months after ACL surgery, Broyles was able to run a 40 yard dash in the 4.5's. With this pick, Head Coach Joe Philbin will begin to put his stamp on the Miami Dolphins' receivers unit.

ssmiami and Stitches like this.
  33. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Coples, Weeden, broyles, I like it.

Don't understand the comparison between Bess and btoyles that Omar suggest. I see him in the mold of a Jennings

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Same here.

35. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I see him as Marvin Harrison. That's the closest comparison I have...

36. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Have a friend that is covering UCF sports and he said some agents have Robinson mocked into the 1st round. I think it depends on how badly people think on Janorice Jenkins' off the field problems. If Morris Claiborne goes top 5, Stephen Gilmore goes in the early to mid-teens and Dre Kirkpatrick goes in the early 20's then Robinson will have a chance of being drafted in the first round. He has all the measurable you look for in a CB (although a little shorter), great game tape (shutdown AJ Green last year in the bowl game), comes from a program where many players find success in the NFL (Josh Sitton, Brandon Marshall, Bruce Miller, Asante Samuels, Kevin Smith), and has no problems off the field.

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's a good comparison.

UCF FINatic likes this.