1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Omer Kelly: Brandon Marshall diagnosed w/ borderline personality disorder

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Jul 30, 2011.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
  2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Wgas

3. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Wtf

4. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Omar is an idiot.

TiP54, Bpk and ToddsPhins like this.
  5. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    ... Lame.

6. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm so glad I unfollowed Omar two months ago.

Ricky'sBong and ToddsPhins like this.
  7. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I really don't mean to give kudos to Omar, but read up on borderline disorder, folks. I happen to have someone suffering from it in the family. It's the psychological equivalent to tearing everything in your knee - twice.

Explains a lot about Marshall's past, too.

8. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I think you're misreading the reaction.

9. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Is it the same thing that all Jets fans have?

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think it's a good story and good article, personally.

It's the crowd that created this "big news" into something it wasn't. From where I'm sitting this is a pretty big revelation.

11. put-me-in-coach

put-me-in-coach Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Chicago
    That dude just got unfollowed.

MikeHoncho and ToddsPhins like this.
  12. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    Yes and no. I'm aware everyone was all geared up for a big signing (so was I), but if this is the genuine deal, then it's not so much different from Jake Long tearing his ACL in terms of "big news". This is really bad news.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  13. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    That personality disorder is pretty bad. I don't know what it means for his future, but that is a pretty serious diagnosis. A personality disorder is something intrinsic to the person and is impossible to change.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It would also lend some credence to the idea the Dolphins might sign Braylon Edwards so that they feel they have the flexibility in the future to ditch Brandon if his condition becomes too unwieldy.

15. Layfield

Layfield New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    **** you Omar.

16. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    wtf wow

17. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    if he just would have added that the big is news would nhave othing to do with any free agents signings, everything would have been fine, but this was just his ego needing the spotlight....deuces

18. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It's a big deal, yes. But the fact that he's been diagnosed at age 27 is a good thing, from what little I know of the topic.

19. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Hope b marsh gets whatever he needs to deal with all this. Suck that that is the big news, but sucks even more for b marsh.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    So it had nothing to do with the context?

21. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Find me a doctor who says there's nothing wrong with Brandon Marshall. THAT'S big news.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  22. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    There's nothing wrong with the article or breaking this story, but in the heat of free agency to represent this as "big news" and then wait for a half an hour to build up his twitter followers is pretty ridiculous IMO.

23. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    It's a good story and it's brave of Marshall to come out with this to help others; and it's a coup for Kelly to have gotten this exclusive from Marshall.

But the prior tweet hyping this revelation goes to show that Omar lacks a sense of propriety and any common sense at all.

It's like creating a tease ad campaign for an obit.

rafael, Muck, Boik14 and 7 others like this.
  24. Layfield

Layfield New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Im glad hes getting better though.

25. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

He actually just sensationalized a serious psychological deficiency for the benefit of his column.

Doing what he did sort of desensitized people to reading that article and actually caring about the issue. The article and the contents therein are not disappointing. It explains a lot. Things like blaming himself for Darrent Williams's death, flipping the ball to Cutler, launching the football after that catch last year all become more clear in context.

I just don't think he should have intentionally built off the hype of FA and intentionally boost suspense while somewhat marginalizing what he actually had to say in order to boost his readership. He didn't even have the tact to post the topic. He just posted the link for hits. A better tweet would have been along the lines of:

OmarKelly Omar Kelly
    Real news to report about Brandon Marshall: Suffering from serious phsycological disorder.
    http://www.seriousbusiness.com

Exactly 140 characters.

rafael, Muck, MrClean and 2 others like this.
  26. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    It's a pretty ****ty thing to do when the core of the news is someone suffering from a really bad disorder, I agree.

27. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    right...... but he's had a pretty damn good career with it so far.

28. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    added:
    There's a difference between an important story and a story that merits immediate attention like a big signing.

An important story involving a guy like Brandon will make its way around the block w/o needing to hype it up like Marshall's some sort of rare zoo attraction.

Omar is a complete douche for the way he handled this. I hope no player EVER gives him another story again. He doesn't deserve it.

NaboCane and Bpk like this.
  29. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    True. He does have insight regarding what his illness is. And one key aspect about psychological illnesses is how it affects a person's daily life. The problem is how will it affect him on and off the field.

30. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    but doing that would mean he's not a douche bag. I would expect nothing less from Omar.

31. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

You were right, CK. Good article. I'm glad Ricky helped point him in a good direction. This is where it helps to have guys who HAVE been through personal struggles and come out of them, like Ricky. He can be there for other players who need a helping hand.

Boik14 likes this.
  32. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    It's possible that there's some obsessive compulsive disorder related to it that has actually helped him become the player he is by providing him with the ridiculous amount of dedication and pride he takes in being the best.

33. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    Obsessive behavior is actually part of some borderline personalities. What's interesting in the case of Marshall is the fact that so many borderliners have self-harming or suicidal tendencies that it's actually part of a differential diagnosis. Sheds a whole new light on that dubious stabbing incident.

34. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Read it. I'm very happy for Marshall and respect the risk he's taking by openly discussing his treatment. I always respect people who are trying to heal themselves and be better people.

Now if only we could get henne to unlock his emotional at ALL and show some. Marshall may be emotionally volatile enouugh that we notice he has issues, but it's just as damaged, imo, to walk around emotionless.

djphinfan, sws84 and NaboCane like this.
  35. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Exactly. He sold this thing like a cheap used car salesman. "Kevin Burnett signed a 4 year deal, but that's nuthin folks...wait til you see what happens next!!!" In the heart of free agency madness, thats garbage. To sell it as exciting or positive is just freakin weak sauce.

NaboCane and ToddsPhins like this.
  36. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Iam very happy he found out whats been goin on in his head, I hope it helps him deal with this disease, I also hope that his teammates embrace him even more, I think having that bond of your teammates and not feeling alone will really help him..No wonder he was protecting his wife, he probably had an episode or something..That initself may have been a beautiful gesture on his part. looking back from yesterdays presser, I can tell Coach had something on his mind when he was asked about Marshall...That man loves his players, and that kind of compassion is going to help Marshall, and probably bond this team.

37. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I sometimes wonder if I have some sort of disorder lol

Boik14, steveincolorado and djphinfan like this.
  38. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    That is so interesting what you say about Henne...I remember at least 5 times last year saying that Henne was lost, not comfortable in his own skin, couldn't be himself...That is why we saw such an emotional reaction from the players when Penny got the start..

Thats why the benching happened imo..It wasn't performance related.

39. Ricky'sBong

Ricky'sBong Reborn

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Omar blocked me before I could unfollow him. Thin skin for such a mouth piece

40. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Borderline Personality has several facets and varying degrees of symptoms. It's truly amazing how many people live with the disorder that probably wouldn't know they do have it. Working as a case manager for mentally ill patients I have 4 borderlines in my care. I can tell u this, it is a very serious disorder if not properly treated and one huge symptom of borderline in many patients is a regression in behavior to that of a young child when things aren't going they way they want, it insulates them. Another symptom is the need to constantly feel like they are in or feed into chaotic situations, as it helps them cope with their internal stressors. Brandon fits several criterion for the disorder. Glad he will now be getting treated

Muck, femalefinfan and djphinfan like this.