1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

on-line courses

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by HolliFinFan, Nov 2, 2008.

Tags:
  1. HolliFinFan

HolliFinFan Not a Face Painter Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    I have a question for those of you who have taken on-line courses. In brief, the class is divided into four two-week posting periods, and each segment has approximately six assignments, some quite lengthy, that have to be either posted on a bulletin board, or sent to the professor via a "drop down" box. It is now the second week of the first segment, and I have posted two of the six assignments, and I have two more ready to go, but I am not posting them because no one else has posted ANYTHING. Is this typical? Do most people wait until the end of a segment and post everything?

Celtkin likes this.
  2. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W

It is typical in my experience. I have friend who has her masters in humanities and teaches two online courses at Brevard Community College and is constantly frustrated with students who either don't turn assignments on time and, as a result, get behind then expect her to facilitate their failure to motivate themselves.

I think it takes a self motivated person to do well in online classes. I am probably a lot like you in the fact that I can't stand knowing that I have future assignments due. I tend to turn in work early to avoid watching a deadline click down to days.

3. HolliFinFan

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    Thanks, Celt! I prefer "on ground" courses, but this one was only available online. Guess I'll be the valedictorian of the class :lol::lol::lol:

finsgirlie and Celtkin like this.
  4. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    I took an online class once and that was definatley the patterns of the posters. There were times when I was done everything and was the first to post, there were other times where I just made the deadline. Celt is right, it takes discipline for an online class, but the same can be said about college and post graduate classes in general right? If you completed an assigment, post it. You may just be an inspiration to other members of your class to make their posts as well.
    Good luck!

Celtkin and HolliFinFan like this.
  5. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    I was usually one of the first to post my assignments too...anyways, some people are just procrastinators...and have been all theirs lives. if you make the impression on them to get it in early, wonderful, but i wouldn't bet on it. :pity:

anyways, I say it's better to get it in as early as you can, that way you don't forget and have to stay up late or rush to get it in. I like online classes, I try to take more of those than on-campus classes.

Celtkin and HolliFinFan like this.
  6. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Are wetalking about fully online courses or web-assisted courses?

7. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Pretty much everyone in an online class procrastinates. Heck, pretty much everyone in college procrastinates. I'm guilty of this as are pretty much all of my friends..

8. HolliFinFan

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    This is a fully online course.

9. HolliFinFan

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    I hear ya. This is grad level though, and its makeup is generally students aged 30+

Mindwarp and Celtkin like this.