1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On opening day, who will be Miami's 3rd starting WR?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by normaldude, Mar 22, 2015.

On opening day, who will be Miami's 3rd starting WR?

1. Michael Crabtree

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Greg Jennings

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Amari Cooper

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Kevin White

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. DeVante Parker

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  6. Jaelen Strong

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Dorial Green-Beckham

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. Rishard Matthews

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  9. Matt Hazel

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  10. Someone else

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. normaldude

normaldude Active Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Assuming Kenny Stills & Jarvis Landry are 2 of our starting WRs, who do you think will be the 3rd starting WR?

2. patcobb

patcobb Active Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Think Hazel may flash

3. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I'm all in on DGB.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Tannembaum trading up for Cooper.

CashInFist and Fin4Ever like this.
  5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Staying at #14 and drafting Parker.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  6. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Rishard Matthews....If we don't sign a veteran. Don't sleep on Matt Hazel either.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  7. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Any of the guys would be OK with me if the run game is clicking.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  8. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    3rd wide receiver - already on the team Kenny Stills

He was the #3 in New Orleans. He will be the number 3 here as well. Wishing the guy was a number one receiver does not make him one

Career NFL statistics 2013 and 2014

games played 31

Receptions 95
    Receiving yards 1,572
    Receiving TDs 8

9. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Wake up! We already have three starting WR's.

Landry,Stills,Cameron,Matthews,Hazel

Cameron will take more snaps at the y receiver than Landry will, wait and see.

sandcastle likes this.
  10. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    This is what I want.

11. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    If we assume that both Cooper and White get drafted ahead of us and that we don't trade up, I don't think we'll be reaching for any of the WRs at #14, although it could happen. Maybe we go Parker? Who knows if we'll trade back and what we'll be looking at when we do so I'm not confident we'll go WR in that scenario any more than I am we go LB, DB, or RB.

What I think will happen is that we'll take one with our 2nd round pick or possibly move up into the top of the 2nd to take who we like after the 1st round is done and we've had a day to assess the costs and make a deal.

For that reason, I see Matthews' experience as putting him ahead of whatever young rookie comes in on the depth chart. I think Matthews and that rookie would probably compete for the 3rd spot.

12. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    This discussion really has nothing to do with how the FO is building the team. Stills is the only WR on the team with speed to play the X receiver. Landry blocks well enough to play flanker (Z), and he is an excellent slot. The question is can Mathews play flanker. Can he block well enough to allow the offense to function?

13. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    This is a good topic of discussion because throughout his time in Miami, Rishard Matthews has played quite a lot of his snaps lining up inside of either Brian Hartline or Mike Wallace, out of the slot and with off coverage beating zones. As part of Mike Sherman's offense in 2013, Matthews was used as a player that could make the catch and move the chains when the underneath areas were cleared out by either Hartline or Wallace on a deeper route. He often caught the ball in an open area and got 5-10 yards after the catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaiPqZPXF0A

However, as well all know, Jarvis Landry took over those duties last year. So do we now have 2 guys who both basically excel in the slot?

Well, it's not like Matthews can't play outside. He does have a knack for snatching the ball out of the air. He is also bigger and a bit more physical than Landry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWElZQIChmg

However, I think the Dolphins fans are in more or less the same position they have been over the last couple years. We're waiting to see what happens and if Rishard Matthews will get and take advantage of his shot.

The bottom line for me, is that I don't think the Dolphins are going to find anyone who is going to be an immediate upgrade over Rishard Matthews in this draft outside of Cooper or White and we're not getting those guys.

14. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    I think you may be right because the fans shouldn't sleep on the kid! We drafted him for a reason. Hazel has good hands and the size to jump up and make contested and/or difficult catches which would give Ryan Tannehill a big window to throw into. Hazel also has acceleration to get separation although his 40-time was a decent 4.50. With Hazel, it's really the route-running that needs to improve. There's also the quality of the WRs in front of him on the depth chart that works against him--particularly if we bring in another guy.

But yeah, if Hazel gets a shot in 2015 I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him play well and contribute. There's no reason he couldn't.

15. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    @DolphinGreg. Thanks for the clips.

DolphinGreg likes this.
  16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Why no Juan Huron?

17. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

He's getting a little old. Not sure if he has the durability to go much longer.

:thumbsup:

18. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I voted someone else because I still think they will sign a veteran WR before the season begins and he will be the third WR off the bench IMO.

Matthews has a good skillset, but his play seemed to regress last season. I have no idea if Hazel can be a productive WR n the NFL and unless they can get White or Cooper in the first round, I just don't see them using their pick in the first on a WR.

19. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Juan Huron, of course.

#comeback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Lol. Damn, you got there first.

The momentum is building in the fanbase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk