1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One opinion that signing Jake Long to an extension would be a good idea ...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DenverDolfan, Jun 18, 2012.

1. DenverDolfan

DenverDolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Lakewood CO
    Top offensive linemen in 2015Jake Long, Tyron Smith among top projected offensive linemen
    Originally Published: June 18, 2012By Matt Williamson | ESPN.com Recommend0Email
    Future Power Rankings Content:
    Future Power Rankings | Top RBs | WRs | TEs | Offensive linemen

The offensive line is vital to the success of any NFL offense. Without good pass protection, a quarterback doesn't have enough time to throw, tight ends have to stay in to block and wide receivers don't have time to get open. Without good run blocking, running backs usually don't get far past the line of scrimmage.

Continuing with this summer's theme of looking ahead in the NFL, we took a look at the top 15 offensive lineman in 2015.

1. Jake Long, LT, Miami Dolphins
    Long fought injuries and wasn't himself in 2011, but I have no doubts about his overall talent. In fact, I think he might just be the best offensive lineman in the game today. Many don't realize just how light on his feet Long is for such a massive offensive tackle, and he plays with a great tenacity. The first overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft, Long will turn 30 years old in the offseason before the 2015 season, and I don't see him slowing down by then.

2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    let's hope so. if he stays healthy this year, I will feel a lot better about the above prediction

3. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Yes, sign Jake Long. I would love to have the best LT covering my backside while I learn the speed of the NFL game.

With love,
    Ryan Tannehill

Im sure those are Ryans thoughts when he hears Jake Long and contract come up. If we have to purge some fat to make it happen, do it. The last thing I want is Tannehill getting David Carr'ed; i.e. getting the crap beat out of him the first few years cause we didnt look out for Tannehills backside.

Now, you could make a case that in a year or two Jonathan Martin could shift back to the left side where he played in college but wouldnt you want to try to test drive that idea before you do it?

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'd rather keep pushing Martin to play RT so we can have 2 studs at the ends and a stud in the middle.

5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The only reason for not resigning him is health matters.

I don't at all buy the idea that he suddenly won't be a fit scheme-wise, or that his skills will be de-emphasized in a new scheme.

6. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I would too *but* it would follow the GB model of what they have done or thought about doing with Sherrod.

7. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Worst case scenario in my opinion is that you franchise Long, provided he gets through this season uninjured, and you can work on extensions for Hartline, Starks, and/or Smith. Then you can work on Jake Long after 2013. That very well might not be the case, but I think that's a viable option that allows you to keep most, if not all, of that grouping of players - Long, Starks, Hartline, and Smith.

CrunchTime likes this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    When you have the best position player in the game you don't play around, sign him.

9. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I agree. You don't scheme out the best left tackle in football.

RoninFin4 likes this.