1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Letter to WKMG Channel 6 Orlando

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The_Dark_Knight, Oct 12, 2020.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I've about had it with the CBS affiliate here in Orlando. The Dolphins/Jets game, scheduled for Sunday at 4:05pm is NOT being telecast. The station is broadcasting the Pittsburgh/Cleveland instead. This is not the first time this has happened and it's annoying me to no end. Below is the letter I'm sending to the station. I'm urging all of the fans here at thephins to follow suit, whether you reside in the viewing area or not.

Dear Sir/Ma'am:

I am a lifelong Florida resident and a diehard Miami Dolphins fan. My love for the Dolphins began in 1972 when I was a 7 year old boy and my one sports joy throughout the year is being able to watch the Dolphins play on Sunday however, your station is making it impossible to do so.

Looking at the schedule for this weekend's NFL games, the listing shows your station is broadcasting the Pittsburgh Steelers vs the Cleveland Browns game.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is 985 miles away in the northeast. Cleveland, OH is 1053 miles away on Lake Erie. This is Florida, not the northeast...not the Ohio valley. Florida has 3 NFL teams. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are broadcasted on Fox without fail. Your station favors the Jacksonville Jaguars over the Miami Dolphins due to the viewing area and while I may not like that, I understand it, but when a Florida team (in this case the Miami Dolphins) are scheduled to play without any conflict with the Jacksonville Jaguars, you elect to broadcast a game that's not even in our region. It makes no sense at all to fans of Florida football.

I don't have DirecTv. If I did, I could purchase the NFL Ticket and watch any game I wished. I can always go to a sports bar and purchase food and beverage to be able to watch the game in their establishment, but why should I as a resident of the state of Florida have to spend extra money to watch a game your station should be broadcasting?

This has been common practice for your station for the last few years and I've not complained, but I can no longer sit by idly without doing so. I urge you change your listings to reflect the viewership of your state's residents.

The station's website if you wish to pile on is

https://www.clickorlando.com/contact/

xphinfanx, invid, firedan and 4 others like this.
  2. M1NDCRlME

M1NDCRlME Fear The Spear

Oct 26, 2009
    Orlando
    Done. Its bad enough they pull this **** with the Jags games, but now they just go out of their way to not show Phins games.

I don't expect a response from them, but if i do get one I'm sure it'll be full of typical non-answer company-speak.

In the real world, my company does engineering work for the station, but i have never broached the subject with them. I used my real name when I filled out the form, so maybe they'll put 2 and 2 together and they'll surprise me with an answer or grab me next time i'm over there (although I highly doubt it).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  3. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Done! The stupid Jaguars have been a thorn in our side ever since they came into the league when it comes to broadcasts. I have a rotten feeling it is some stupid NFL rule. Fox could have shown the 49ers game a couple days ago but didnt.

If any of us gets a response back let's post it in here. I'm curious if they do.

xphinfanx likes this.
  4. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Well they did it again!! The scheduling was up in the air due to all of the game changes but WKMG has done it again!!

Initially, their station wasn’t broadcasting a 1pm game, only the 4pm game and that game was listed as the Browns v Steelers. I guess their game was moved to 1pm because now WKMG is showing the Browns Steelers game at 1pm and no game at 4pm.

CBS, contracted to broadcast the AFC games and this regional station is yet again not showing either Florida team.

I didn’t receive a reply to my letter to them. I doubt either of you did as well. Perhaps I need need to spam them and send an email to them, copied and pasted about 1000 times a day.

Something has GOT to give here!

5. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Well they did it again!! The scheduling was up in the air due to all of the game changes but WKMG has done it again!!

Initially, their station wasn’t broadcasting a 1pm game, only the 4pm game and that game was listed as the Browns v Steelers. I guess their game was moved to 1pm because now WKMG is showing the Browns Steelers game at 1pm and no game at 4pm.

CBS, contracted to broadcast the AFC games and this regional station is yet again not showing either Florida team.

I didn’t receive a reply to my letter to them. I doubt either of you did as well. Perhaps I need need to spam them and send an email to them, copied and pasted about 1000 times a day.

Something has GOT to give here!

6. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I typed a long answer here last week and I don't think it posted due to internet problems, so I'm going to give you the cliff notes version.

1) Start a petition on Change.org. Name the TV station in the complaint and say they don't have the city's best interests in mind. Get everyone you know to sign it. Share here and in local Facebook chats, other Dolphin boards, etc.

2) Look around the website, somewhere you'll find a leadership page. Email the CEO/president directly with the petition and every executive that has an email address listed. If you can't find emails, turn to LinkedIn and message them there.

3) If no answer, add the NFL and FCC to the complaint on Change.org. Imply that your local station is not honoring their agreement.

4) Contact a local newspaper, mention the petition, mention the TV station doesn't care and won't reply. Get this in print. Maybe contact competing TV station as well....this is "headline news" to them these days and it will get coverage.

5) Eventually, an executive will see it at the tv station, make a phone call and your problem is fixed 10 seconds later. But you have to work the steps to get their attention.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    resnor and The_Dark_Knight like this.