1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Option Offense: The New Equalizer?

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Alex44, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Well old rather, but making a comeback. This actually goes back to something I believe either KB21 or Shou said, I can't remember which. Whoever it was, said that the spread offense is becoming more of an amplifier for great teams instead of the equalizer it used to be, which brings me to my point.

With defenses recruiting and gearing up to stop the spread, could the option be making a huge comeback to the college game? To stop the spead you need athletes at every position, but to stop the option you need smart players and disciplin all across the field. Gap containment, linebackers properly reading the play, safeties converging properly etc.

I'm sitting here watching Navy give Ohio State a run for their money, and last season watch Georgia Tech SPANK my Hurricanes using the option. In my opinion...and most others, OSU and UM had superior talent to those two teams. Yet the option has kept the lesser team in the game. When you have athletes all over the field against an option but don't have proper disciplin the results can be disasterous. I wouldnt be surpised to see more small time schools go back to this style, especially if we see success with it from a few schools.

Also I know Navy has always had this in their playbook, but my question is more based upon this success, and the way big time college defenses are recruiting these days. I see the spread becoming less effective for small schools, and just wonder what the next step is.

Any ideas? I'm not a huge follower of the college game besides my Canes and watching random games each year, so go east on me. :up:

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm not sure GT didn't have as much talent as Miami last year.

cnc66 and Motion like this.
  3. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Especially considering they beat Georgia last year as well. The option is their system but they are a very good team regardless.

cnc66 likes this.
  4. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Paul Johnson put the option in place at Navy years ago that just gave OSU fits. Dominated the other service squads. Now, he is tuning it up at GT.

5. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I love the option game for college football. At that level, it just makes sense. When you have a running threat at the quarterback position, it basically gives you an extra blocker. Nebraska was a power house in college football using the option back in the day. I don't think the option really ever faded away. It has changed its appearance.

Many teams are using the spread option now. It basically puts the triple option into the spread formation, and it utilizes a true dual threat at the quarterback position.

Some teams use the flexbone option, which is what Paul Johnson uses. Some may even call his option a spread option. The thing with Paul's offense is that you will rarely see his offense throw more than 10-15 times a game. Right now, I think Paul Johnson's offense is the essence of the option game, particularly with their blocking schemes. They don't zone block like the spread teams that run the zone read option.

The option does a couple of things for weaker programs, IMO. First, it is easier to recruit a quarterback to run it. All you need is a great athlete, because passing the ball is very much secondary in this system. The option is the only thing that allowed Pat White to play quarterback at the college level. He would have never made it in a pro style system.

Second, it allows teams with lesser talent to scheme away from their weaknesses and towards their strengths a little easier, and the misdirection of the offense keeps more talented defenses on their toes.

At the college level, not every team has a defensive end that can play the quarterback and then still tackle the running back for a loss.

Where the option doesn't work is when you have a guy like Greg Hardy from Mississippi at defensive end. I was watching them play Memphis this weekend. Memphis ran an option to his side. He feathered the quarterback on the play and forced the pitch, and he then tackled the running back for a loss. It was a very impressive play on Hardy's part, but he's a legitimate NFL talent at defensive end.

cnc66 likes this.