Orca -5 is a Pod of starters

84 replies

the 23rdthe 23rdNew MemberOP
May 25, 2010, 10:24 AM

I mentioned this several times last season when our offensive line sustained multiple injuries:
1) Sparano wants to maintain two, interchangeable sets of starting-caliber offensive linesmen & has proven willing to make the investment in time & money to do it.
2) Although, it flies in the face of conventional wisdom, it can be done & is apparently in the process of being done. I believe it will pay big dividends in the second half of the season when the trenches traditionally begin to wear down, suffering injuries & fatigue.
:deadhorse:

3) the war is won or lost in the trenches & the offensive side of those trenches sets the pace for the rest of the team during a game right from the opening play.
4) using a rotation system, especially @ Guard will maintain the lines integrity throughout the game.
5) I think it is a good strategy, if that is in reality where he's going with it. look for seven or eight, not five quality starters in the Orca for 2010.

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

finyank13finyank13New Member
May 25, 2010, 10:31 AM

agreed...where is the only place you can truely control the game....the OL....its controls everything about football, tempo, the clock, whether you win, lose....it is wise to invest heavily in that...

Who replaces Long if he couldnt go one game??

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
May 25, 2010, 10:36 AM

"finyank13 wrote:

agreed...where is the only place you can truely control the game....the OL....its controls everything about football, tempo, the clock, whether you win, lose....it is wise to invest heavily in that...

Who replaces Long if he couldnt go one game??

Carey moves to left tackle & Murtha or Nate Garner to right :yes: if the center goes down or needs a break Berger or Incognita enter...

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

finyank13finyank13New Member
May 25, 2010, 10:50 AM

"the 23rd wrote:

Carey moves to left tackle & Murtha or Nate Garner to right :yes: if the center goes down or needs a break Berger or Incognita enter...


you dont think Richie starts?? I think he will....

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

DePhinistr8DePhinistr8Forum Veteran
May 25, 2010, 10:55 AM

"finyank13 wrote:

you dont think Richie starts?? I think he will....

I think he starts @ RG, but would probably move to center and berger would slide to RG if something happened to Grove, ...or something along those lines..

23rd is right, there is a pretty darn good amount of depth along the o-line and it seems that most of the backups can play several positions.

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
May 25, 2010, 10:56 AM

Friend finyank13:

I think he will along w/3 others guards
the guard will be the key to the rotation
having said that
I think he will be used @ center as well
Incognito has a tremendous upside

& is a fit :yes: he will be there

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

mor911mor911Forum Veteran
May 25, 2010, 11:01 AM

am i the only one that hates the name "Orca Five"?

yesssssssssssssssssss

Fin D;2829671 wrote:

As mor wisely said

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
May 25, 2010, 11:06 AM

that's all you've got? how about sticking to the thread or use a PM if it's a personal issue?

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

mor911mor911Forum Veteran
May 25, 2010, 11:08 AM

Not a personal issue at all. Relax. Hate the name. It happens.

yesssssssssssssssssss

Fin D;2829671 wrote:

As mor wisely said

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
May 25, 2010, 11:19 AM

all starting caliber guards:

Thomas, Incognito, Dimitri & Nate Garner
only real question:
which two get the first nod in any given game

they will compete & prepare on a weekly basis

competition is the elixir of success :yes: depth in competition guarantees it

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
May 25, 2010, 11:23 AM

i love having depth on the OL but using a rotational system there is just a bad idea. leave that to the DL. You want your OL to gel and play together as much as possible. I remember last season can't recall which game but we were rotating OL and something ridiculously stupid happened like we didn't get on the field in time. anyone recall?

Anyway rotate DL to keep them fresh. Keep the same five offensive lineman in the game at all times except if there is an injury

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
May 25, 2010, 11:32 AM

Friend Killerphins:

it is conventional wisdom
you may be right but
nothing is edged in stone
rotating guards
that are of starter quality
is very doable & probable
look for seven or eight
interchangeable pieces
it could pay big dividends
in the later part of the year

remember our head coach is a linesman & Parcells has always been all about the trenches

innovation is the mother of tomorrows game :up:

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

DaFishDaFishForum Veteran
May 25, 2010, 11:32 AM

"the 23rd wrote:

all starting caliber guards:

Thomas, Incognito, Dimitri & Nate Garner
only real question:
which two get the first nod in any given game

they will compete & prepare on a weekly basis

competition is the elixir of success :yes: depth in competition guarantees it

I would like to see it implemented successfully. Having rested players never hurts but like Killerphins stated, I hope it doesn't interfere with the gelling process.

I also want to add that I generally like your post and opinions 23rd but I to don't care for the Orca 5 nickname either.:wink2:

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
May 25, 2010, 11:59 AM

some people like the name, others don't
can't please all the people all the time
however
it is what it is & won't change in my posts
the Orca-5:dolphin:
it's not meant to be an imposition or slight
certainly not worthy of so much attention :up:

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

finyank13finyank13New Member
May 25, 2010, 12:03 PM

I never really thought about whether I like Orca-5 or not, but I will say, you will have to change up your sig 23rd......and possibly change it every week....

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
May 25, 2010, 12:05 PM

granted the names will change frequently but not the concept of the pod. it is immutable

props to my very talented & good friend, the Vengeful Odin, for his creativity & fine art work in creating the logo

need/want information? go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whale
now lets get back to the thread. this subject w/reviewed & discussed @ length a long, long time ago

the Orca-5 & Pod remain:deadhorse:

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
May 25, 2010, 12:16 PM

"Killerphins wrote:

i love having depth on the OL but using a rotational system there is just a bad idea. leave that to the DL. You want your OL to gel and play together as much as possible. I remember last season can't recall which game but we were rotating OL and something ridiculously stupid happened like we didn't get on the field in time. anyone recall?

Anyway rotate DL to keep them fresh. Keep the same five offensive lineman in the game at all times except if there is an injury

I agree. The rotation system on the OL has been used a few times and I can't remember it ever being successful. I think the value of maximizing the time they play together as a unit outweighs any benefits of trying to keep them fresh. IMO the goal should be to find the starting five and hope they're healthy all year. And if they're not, that the back-ups are good enough that they can be plugged in with little drop off. It seems like we have enough talent to do that everywhere on the line except for LT. But I don't think we can expect to find another T of Long's calibre to sit on the bench.

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
May 25, 2010, 12:18 PM

hasn't been tried & implemented by Parcells & Sparano
maybe it never will, however, it appears to be on the horizon
just a matter of practice & timing to make it work
certainly there will always be a preferred set to play
there will always be the best left & right guard
right up until they are worn down or injured
the game has changed in its physical demands
tandem running backs were an oddity not to long ago

things change!

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
May 25, 2010, 12:22 PM

"the 23rd wrote:

essentially, then it is a rotation system

I'm not sure if you were responding to my post, but if you were then it's only a rotation system in case of injury. The goal and the hope is that it won't be a rotation system.

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
May 25, 2010, 12:27 PM

"rafael wrote:

I'm not sure if you were responding to my post, but if you were then it's only a rotation system in case of injury. The goal and the hope is that it won't be a rotation system.

no it wasn't the response to your post. this is the response:

hasn't been tried & implemented by Parcells & Sparano
maybe it never will, however, it appears to be on the horizon
just a matter of practice & timing to make it work
certainly there will always be a preferred set to play
there will always be the best left & right guard
right up until they are worn down or injured
the game has changed in its physical demands
tandem running backs were an oddity not to long ago

things change!

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

DePhinistr8DePhinistr8Forum Veteran
May 25, 2010, 12:28 PM

"Killerphins wrote:

i love having depth on the OL but using a rotational system there is just a bad idea. leave that to the DL. You want your OL to gel and play together as much as possible. I remember last season can't recall which game but we were rotating OL and something ridiculously stupid happened like we didn't get on the field in time. anyone recall?

Anyway rotate DL to keep them fresh. Keep the same five offensive lineman in the game at all times except if there is an injury

I think it was the Houston game. A couple lineman came in and a couple were supposed to go out but there was some confusion and I think it led to too many men in the huddle.

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
May 25, 2010, 12:33 PM

coaching & practice remedy most stupid mistakes. :butthead:
w/starter quality linesmen across the board, it is doable.
I'm sure we will see some form of rotation throughout the up-coming season

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
May 25, 2010, 12:41 PM

"the 23rd wrote:

coaching & practice remedy most stupid mistakes. :butthead:
w/starter quality linesmen across the board, it is doable.
I'm sure we will see some form of rotation throughout the up-coming season

Mistakes are going to happen no matter how much practice and coaching you do. Of course repetition will limit those mistakes but you still see things like C to QB exchange. It is part of the game.
Why open yourself up to the possibility of more mistakes by rotating OL
In a rotational system risk outweighs the upside

DePhinistr8DePhinistr8Forum Veteran
May 25, 2010, 12:45 PM

"Killerphins wrote:

Mistakes are going to happen no matter how much practice and coaching you do. Of course repetition will limit those mistakes but you still see things like C to QB exchange. It is part of the game.
Why open yourself up to the possibility of more mistakes by rotating OL
In a rotational system risk outweighs the upside

All that, and the more you take these guys in and out of a game you run the risk of your depth getting injured.

Although I don't think 23rd meant to say we're going to a rotational line, just that we can rotate guys in and out if we have to.

Last year injury seemed to dictate a lot of the rotation, but perhaps the team got a little too cute with it at times, too.

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
May 25, 2010, 01:04 PM

"DePhinistr8 wrote:

All that, and the more you take these guys in and out of a game you run the risk of your depth getting injured.

Although I don't think 23rd meant to say we're going to a rotational line, just that we can rotate guys in and out if we have to.

Last year injury seemed to dictate a lot of the rotation, but perhaps the team got a little too cute with it at times, too.

there is always a necessity like the Carolina game which wasn't at all by choice and actually worked out miraculously considering the situation. I am just not a big fan of making things harder than they have to be. IMO you get a core 5 to start and you go with that group. OL is about chemistry and familiarity. like i said before i love the depth on OL but only as a backup when a starter is injured