1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orlando Alzagary Radio show : Henne not to sign until Brohm signs before him

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PMZQ, Jul 26, 2008.

1. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    In talking at camp (doing his Sat morning show from the camp) he says in talking with several guests, that it is likely Henne will not sign until after Brohm signs with GB. That is tricky they said, because Henne likely could be a starter here, and Brohm (according to them) has no shot in GB. They think this could affect the length and money involved with Henne, meaning he could be demanding more since he thinks he will be a starter faster than Brohm. They also said that this could be a problem for Henne if it drags on past Aug 9th.

Not my opinions, just passing on what I heard on the show. Take it for what its worth.

2. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    In my opinion I think rookie need to be in camp and worry about learning the plays instead of worry about how much money they are getting. Play good as starter and then they should worry about the money they are getting

ATVZ400 likes this.
  3. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    This just means that he's blown his chance of starting this season.

alen1, JCowScot, cnc66 and 2 others like this.
  4. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    i really thought Chad would be in camp already since there might a chance for him to play this season.

5. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008
    Me to but it seems like would rather have money

6. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I agree, the 1st contract is not where you really make your money anyways. Sign for a reasonable amount, and then work your a** off and then get a new contract. Most of the time if you are really good, even if you signed a 6 year deal as a rook, they might tear it up in year 3 and resign you for a big deal then.

7. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    welll, if you suck, then it IS the only REAL money they are going to get.. maybe henne figures this will be his only payday.. :tongue2:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
    Bpk, Coral Reefer, IDFinFan and 4 others like this.
  8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Is this a QB on another team we're talking about? I know this contract garbage sucks, and I want him to get signed just as quick as the next guy, but this hatred of every other QB on the roster besides John Beck is really baffling to me. With John Beck being everything but a proven QB we need to support every QB on our roster.

9. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    didn't mean to wind you up bro.. my post was tongue in cheek, maybe I need to add a thingie...

edit; ok, thingie added.

IDFinFan, MonstBlitz and Celtkin like this.
  10. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008
    Chad Henne just needs to sign ask for a 3 year deal wok you @$$ off and then if you are good then you will get your money

11. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I wasn't that wound up. But the thingie makes all the difference! :up:

cnc66 likes this.
  12. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I dont see the issue here, At least according to what we've got on the front page, henne is in camp anyways even without the deal signed. If he's still there, and working with the team, I coudlnt care less that he isnt signed yet.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  13. IceStorm

IceStorm New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Henne cannot be in camp according to the CBA since he is not a member of the Miami Dolphins.
    The CBA prevents unsigned players from being in camp.

PMZQ likes this.
  14. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    well this is true, and not for a lack of effort on Henne or anyones part for that matter. the huge majority of players who pass through the NFL dont last very long. this is his lone shot, as far as what is for certain. he cant just settle, he needs to try and get as much value for the situation he created for himself as possible. whether he gets a horrible injury, or just cant play at this level, he cant simply say, "forget the $$$ and my future and life, i just want to learn the plays." especially considering how well the NFL takes care of it's vets.:no:

15. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    QBs at TC have been a question EVERY YEAR for the past couple years. They eventually sign and then are sorted through. I'm kind of pessimistic about the whole ordeal and I HOPE Henne's the real thing...but we'll see. He's gonna sign, and i'm sure with a little "persuasion" (or threats) from the front office will snap his *** to sign sooner than later.

16. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    True :no:.....lets hope not !!!! :up:

17. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    No hate from me bro, just reporting the facts as given on the radio show. Personally I don't care which of the 3 wins the job, as long as its the right one. I trust Bill, Tony and Jeff to make that decision. :wink2:

MonstBlitz likes this.
  18. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Exactly, he may be at the Davie campus, but he was not on the field at anytime this morning according to Orlando Alzagary on his radio show.

19. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    As much as I want him in camp too, you also have to put some blame on the FINS brass. It cant be ALL Henne's fault. I still dont think he has a REAL shot this year. The Dolphins camp video only shows 2 QBs working out, by the way.

20. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    update
    A new beginning -- Dolphin training camp opens

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/miami-dolphins/story/618948.html

21. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    doesn't henne being the last to sign make it kindof moot now? i was under the impression that our rookie salary pool was running out fast before merling signed so shouldn't henne get what is left? now atleast the dolphins now exactly what they can offer him and henne should know that as well. the only thing i could see holding it up is how it will be pro-rated(if thats the correct word here) through the x amount of yrs so it really shouldn't matter what brohm gets if we don't have the money to "top" it. he shouldve signed before friday like his agent said he would so the only person to blame here is henne.

he says he thinks he has a better shot to play sooner than brohm but not if he dhows up half way through camp. btw just out of curiousity why would it be bad for henne if it goes on after that particular date?

22. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Does Henne have an agent?
    I find it hard to place the blame on the Dolphins brass since they haven't drug their feet on any of the signings so far, including free agents and Jake Long.
    I don't blame Henne for trying to sign for as much as he can but he also has to realize that he is not a first round pick and the more time spent in camp puts him in a better position to be a starter and eventually get starter money.
    I am sure his dragging his feet aren't endearing him to Parcells, Ireland and Sparano.
    I hope he signs soon, heaven knows the Dolphins have had enough distractions over the last few years.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
    PMZQ likes this.
  23. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    THIS is a non-issue. Get that money Henne. If this was guaranteed contracts, I understand the negative responses but the Dolphins will have ZERO obligation to pay him if they want to cut him. It's not personal by any means; I have to believe Henne wants to play for the Miami Dolphins. Just good business on the part of Henne. I didn't think he would start anyway.

24. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    With Henne familiar with the system (it's similar to what he had at Michigan), a couple of missed practices isn't going to hurt him that bad... he could still have a shot to start come opening day, as long as he's in by say Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

25. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    They've got to start scaling these contracts like the NBA. These players haven't proved a thing and they're holding out to see how much other players at their position sign for -- unbelievably stupid. I'm not just picking at Henne because under the circumstances (with the current rules) he's doing the right thing. However, something has got to give.

Bpk, Idahophin and alen1 like this.
  26. SF Dolfan

SF Dolfan New Member

May 3, 2008
    Are you serious? Not a single person mentioned anything about Beck or showed any hate towards Chad in this thread. In fact, the reason people are upset w/ this news is because they want Chad in there so he has a chance to compete for the starting job and we can have the best player on the field, whether it be Beck, Henne or McCown. Cnc saying this might be his only payday was a joke, but in truth, it could very easily be a reality given that the average career of an NFL player is only a couple of years. That's not hate, it's just life in the NFL. Ever think that maybe it's your own biases coloring your opinion here? Cmon Chad, get your butt in camp so we can see what you've got.

Lt Dan likes this.
  27. SF Dolfan

SF Dolfan New Member

May 3, 2008
    I do like the NBA system for rooks. It keeps salaries down while players are unproven, but allows them to get their payday in a fairly short time (3 years) once they show what they've got.

Unfortunately, I can't see anyway the player's association would agree to this given that it would probably decrease salaries and total money spent on salaries overall. There would have to be some compromise on the owner's part where they would agree to spend a minimum amount on salary that is higher than it is now so that the money saved is actually going to vet players and not just lining the owners pockets.

28. IDFinFan

IDFinFan New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    I dont really think Henne ever wanted to be drafted by us. Nor does he want to stay with us. He has always said "I'm excited about playing with Jake Long for the next few years" which to me sounds like "I dont want to play here for long".

Bpk likes this.
  29. igor79

igor79 New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    aug 9!?! we better get him in before then...

30. SF Dolfan

SF Dolfan New Member

May 3, 2008
    Based on his reaction on draft day, I would tend to agree with you. He definitely wasn't a guy who seemed thankful, not to the Dolphins or for the opportunity to be playing on Sundays. You could definitely pick up some attitude fom him. Nothing wrong with being confident and thinking your're great, but he struck me as a little (lot) entitled. That being said, if he earns the opportunity to play and has some success both individually and for the team overall, I think he could easily change his tune. We're building from scratch and he has the opportunity to be one of Parcell's guys from the ground floor. It's going to be a QB friendly offense and he'd get alot of recognition if he becomes the next great QB for this franchise. It's just too early to tell anything really.

31. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    When Henne gets his little UNPROVEN butt into camp then he'll gain some support from fans.

Additionally, I don't think there is some mystery united front supporting John Beck blindly and "hating" on other QB's. If anything Beck has had a majority of fans unjustifiably against him because of a few bad rookie performances.

I don't see Henne having the talent to be one of those rare QBs that come right in and start either and that's why some could care less whether he signs now or not.

Bpk likes this.
  32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I thought that quote was blown out of proportion. He may not be the greatest character in the world but that quote is always brought up with him.

33. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Henne has the same agent as Beck. And, to be honest, draggin henne out helps Beck have a greater chance of winning the starting job anyways while still getting a big contract for Henne. It would benefit the agent if Beck wins the job because the regime will likely still want to keep Henne around a few years. If Henne beats Beck out in THIS camp, Beck wouldn't be here as long or if he DID stick around it would be strictly as a back up so he certainly wouldn;t get a big second contract after being a backup here.

The agent does better if Beck starts, henne develops, then later on either Henne takes over here and beck moves to another team as a starter or Henne moves to another team as a starter while beck keeps starting here.

The only losing situation for the agent is if Beck is tossed into the refuse heap this year and Henne starts (and maybe struggles too).

Remember that the longer the agent takes to get Henne signed with the Dolphins, the greater chance beck wins this starting job. Seems like a conflict of interest to me.

34. Bpk

Let's suppose this....

First of all, assume an incoming rookie DOES have the talent to be good in this league (even if not great, at least he'd be good).

Well, at some point these young guys should realise they undermine their early career success by missing camp to be greedy for an extra $500k onna $5 million dollar contract. Great, you got your extra 500 grand, then sucked your first year. Your second year, the coaches didn't have faith in you because of your crappy first year, so you don't get a fair chance to start and end up being a #2 or #3 string guy. By year three MAYBE you've worked your way to starting... but now, in year three you finally see the field and are, essentially, playing like a rookie in terms of game experience. You suck... again... and heading into year four you will have to fight for the starting job (except many have declared you are nothing special by now and so a 1st rounder is drafted to start above you).

By the time your second contract comes you are either unproven, having been buried on the depth chart, or seen as a player who sucks.

So, the second contract? $1-2 mill a year, IF someone wants you.

Conversely, the guy who stops being a greedy asshead in rookie negotiations and just signs for $500k million less overall gets into camp and competes to start. Maybe he starts and struggles a bit as a rookie. This is expected. He gets his chance again second year and improves. He is a starter and at the end of his rookie contract he re-ups for $7,8, 9, 10 million per year. That's a lot of money.

Or he doesn;t win the starting job, but looks okay in camp. He is #2. There is a good chance people are curious to give him the chance to start.. either if the #1 struggles, or another team maybe trading for him (Matt Shaub). In either case, you are still viewed as a player with value and are more likely to see the field. By year two or three you've seen the field and matured into a starter. When your rookie contract runs our you sign a new one for $5, 6, 7 million per year. Not bad.

So what's better you dumb, greedy college kids? A higher probablility of a second contract worth $25-50 million over 5 years, where you sacrifice $1 mill now? OR getting that extra $500kl now, missing a lot of camp, and either getting NO second contract, or a second contract worth $4-5 million dollars over two years.

Sure, there are guys who miss their first camp and STILL come in to be stars and make a ton, but those guys are usually INCREDIBLE blue chippers. Their talent will rise above everyone else, without a doubt. Henne is not that man.

Now, I'd appeal to the integrity of these kids if i thought their values outweighed their greed, but since they don't and MONEY seems to be their biggest love in life, I'll say Henne should get his butt into camp if, even if it is only from greed.

It's the smart long-term play for him to make more money.

p.s. - I'll bet both Jason Allen and Ronnie Brown would have had beeter rookie seasons with full training camps... and thereby be more established. Ronnie made up for it. Jason still hasn't caught up.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
    High Definition and phinphever like this.
  35. Bpk

For the record: I hope henne holds out for awhile, giving John Beck a full headstart and chance to audition as the starter of this team.

Henne's chance can come next year if Beck doesn't perform this season.

(but I still think henne is dumb for holding out, for the reasons I have stated above)

alen1 likes this.
  36. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Henne is making the mistake of listening to his agent...the agent is the one who stands to gain more by holding him out, assuming he gets more money than what they are offering now...at any rate, at this point in time, I don't think the team will miss Henne...it is definitely the other way around...

37. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    PFT is reporting per Schefter that Henne has now agreed to terms. So much for this story (Brohm hasn't signed yet)...

38. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Glad to hear it, if it's true. I would like to see Henne start the season really making a push to start. If Beck wins the job, so be it, but I want to see some evidence that Henne was the right QB for us.

39. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    The Big O needs to start getting better sources. This is the second time he's been proven wrong. He also mentioned the team was going to draft Vernon Gholston.