1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT Albert wants $50 million deal

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by bbqpitlover, Apr 22, 2013.

1. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
  2. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    If we can have outs in the contract that cushion the blow if his back totally gives out then I'd give up the laster 2nd for him. Instantly fills a gaping hole.

3. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    This will be the straw that breaks the camels back in regards to my opinion about Ireland.

You let Jake Long walk, then trade a 2nd rounder for a guy that is OLDER than Jake Long, has a similar INJURY history, and COSTS more. UNREAL.

We could have signed Long and used the 2nd we are going to trade for Albert to groom a new tackle. It would have costed us less money, been more of a long term solution, and would have made sense.

In three to four years we are going to look back at how awful of a trade this was for us... just like all the 2nd round pick trades we have been accustom to as Dolphins fans.

Boik14 likes this.
  4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

Relax skipper, the deal isn't done yet and Albert is healthier and has performed better the past two seasons. And honestly it's a late 2nd round pick...and historically that is far from a sure thing.

I'm on the fence about this, Albert transforms our OL into one of the leagues best. I'd love Lane but its looking like that's a hopeless cause.

So too me to fill a HUGE need this is the way to look at it.

1.) trade #54 for Albert, draft a Tavon Austin at 12, a Jordan Poyer at 42 and have two 3rds.

2.) trade 12-42-a third to move up and select Lane Johnson then pick BPA at 54 and have one 3rd.

I know there is 50m not factored in too my options, but I still like option 1.

Stringer Bell, cuchulainn and Fin D like this.
  5. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Then be my guest. I wouldn't break the bank for this guy, no way.

6. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I just see it as a desperate move in which we are mortgaging the franchise on 29 year old LT that has had injury trouble.

What about option C: where you trade our 1st and a 2nd, move up and tackle Lane Johnson. Have the LT position solidified for the next 6 years or so at a very cheap rate and then use the $50 million dollars to bring in a CB or DE next year?

It's just too much in my opinion: the 2nd round pick, the $$$, the age, the injury history, etc.

Drives me freaking bonkers thinking that we could have signed Long for a cheaper rate, kept our 2nd round pick, and saved money. And it makes me even more mad knowing that we will probably draft Eifert or Warmack and then they we will have to think about "breaking the bank" on a "noncore position."

7. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Hang-up is on draft compensation, wondering if Ireland is standing his ground and saying to Dorsey, "When you want less than a 2nd, then, we'll talk."

I'm probably just dreaming though.

8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I doubt we can move up and get Lane for just a 2. I'd be all for it though.

9. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Based on the trade value chart we should be able to get up to #5 if we trade 12 and 42.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  10. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    If Lane Johnson makes it to #6 then Miami got punked ****ing hard.

Also - Albert has been the better LT out of he and Jake Long for the past 2 years. People want Miami to pay Long 9 million a year, but they are mad at us paying Albert a hair less? It'll be like Duane Brown's contract, but not as long. I'd expect a 4 year/5 year deal for 35.5 million/ 44 million. A hair under 9 million a year.

11. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I don't think the Dolphins want Lane Johnson (at least not in a trade up).

But, I would not want to give up either of our 2nd round picks. I would give a 3rd for him.

I don't have an issue with the money. I take issue with the draft pick. The 3rd would be fair. #54 would be a win for KC. #42 would be highway robbery.

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  12. CANDolphan

Feb 18, 2012
    I really think people over value draft picks. #52 is a high pick but honest I would be happy to sacrifice it if we lock up such a gaping hole.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    In pass blocking, Long was considerably worse than Albert. And who the hell cares about the money? The money is fluid and manageable.

It would take more than our 1st and 2nd to move up. It would take our 3rd as well. So basically, while you're upset because we're giving money up for a sure thing at tackle, you'd rather trade away 3 high picks on a guy that may bust, since he's a rookie. Hell, what if we draft starters at the #12 and the 3rd rounder, we'd have 2 spots shored up at rookie scale. That's a better savings than worrying about $50 mill for a Top 10 LT.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Personally, with the rookie scale, I believe draft picks are more valuable than money in the NFL.

Da 'Fins, cuchulainn and Boik14 like this.
  15. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Lane Johnson is a better RT then LT. There are scouts out there who question Johnsons ability to run block going so far to say he cant run block worth a damn. Which frankly it isnt his strength. What worries me about this is Jeff Ireland is a height/weight/speed guy, always has been, and Johnson fits that to the very core.

The problem many, myself included isnt that Albert is a bad player. Hes not. He has his deficiencies such as run blocking and his issues with speed rushers. The issue is that youre giving up a 2 + giving the same money for a player he is NOT better then. Jake Long is a far superior player. I dont care what PFF says even though I love that site because the majority of what Albert accomplished last year was vs the likes of Will Smith and Matt Shaughnessy. He got eaten alive by the only two good pass rushers he faced last year. Long has had his ups and downs but hes had those downs for the most part against very good players like John Abraham. Lastly, Long isnt the picture of health but Albert has had chronic back issues and wrist issues. The back most definitely will not get better playing OL. Long has had injuries but nothing chronic (yet) and hes 2 years younger then Albert. Giving up a 2 + 9 million cap clogging dollars over 5-6 years is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

Hopefully, its BS. It undoes a lot the good things Ireland has done this offseason in one quick swoop.

Da 'Fins, UCF FINatic and Fin-Omenal like this.
  16. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Not that I wouldn't mind having Albert given Miami's situation on the OL after spending multiple high draft picks since Ireland has been here the past 5 years. But looking at a macro view of this offseason this move reeks of stupidity when considering Miami could have resigned Long for $1 million or so less with low guaranteed and being able to keep the 2nd round pick that it will probably take to trade for Albert.

This would mean Miami will have spent the #1, #15, #42, #73, #110, #191, #195 and now throw in either the #42 or #54 since Ireland has been here and not sure Miami's OL would be anything more than average to slightly above average...ugh...not to mention how much of the salary cap has been committed to the OL, maybe it's just time for Ireland to go.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  17. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I tend to agree, a few instances not withstanding....i.e. trading a 7th for a good player.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  18. CANDolphan

Feb 18, 2012
    Granted, I'm not entirely positive which 1 of the 2 players are on Miami's radar with the contingent trade involving Cleveland, but I have to think a LT is one of them. Milliner was a name being thrown around but I have no way of confirming that now.

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Don't sleep on the possibility its Star they're after in a trade up.

20. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    My thoughts, exactly. :up:

Boik is a smart man, listen up fellas!

Boik14 likes this.
  21. TNphinfan

TNphinfan Always soo close... Club Member

Mar 3, 2010
    It's all a ploy to get the Chargers to be a non-contender with us to trade up. :knucks:

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    In what objective ways was Long better than Albert?

Also, you're assuming Long would have stayed for more money.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  23. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Maybe they want to leapfrog Buffalo and the Jets to ensure getting Austin. :)

Da 'Fins likes this.
  24. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Unless your team flat out sucks they always stay for more money. Rare is it that the opposite happens.

I already explained how Long was better. Long played better vs better competition. Long faced speed rushers and power rushers. He had his ups and downs but theres never been a question about him vs power players. Longs two worst games were weeks 4 and 9 last year. Week 4 was Arizona and according to PFF's data he was + in the passing game and a heavy negative in the run game. Week 9 was vs the Colts. He gave up 1 sack/3 hits/2 hurries. Almost all of that was to Freeney.

Long is 2 years younger, doesnt have chronic back issues like Albert, and was more affordable if the reports that Albert wants Duane Brown money (6/53M with 22.08 guaranteed) are true. Plus we wouldnt have had to give up a pick (any pick) to retain him. If its a 4th rounder..yeah I can live. Otherwise Ireland just made a major mess up.

Thankfully there are a few conclusions I had made about JI's trade history in a post in Club:

This was a post I had made previously regarding Albert's flaws....
    Also, this just came through Chris Mortensen's Twitter/rotoworld:
    http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4805/branden-albert

25. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    nvm

26. BevoPhin

BevoPhin Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Now Arizona is interested. It was reported in Phoenix that they've already talked to KC.

27. BevoPhin

BevoPhin Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Looking at their 2012 schedule, abraham and johnson were not the best edge rushers he faced.

28. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Didn't John Abraham school Jake Long when we played them a couple of years ago?

anyway: NFL.com is reporting the following

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...phins-willing-to-meet-branden-alberts-demands

29. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Out of the games he played they were.

30. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
  31. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Forgive me for being late to Albert's party...but why are the Chiefs willing to trade this guy? Are there specific reasons Reid doesn't want him back in KC?

32. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    He's not as healthy as Jake, and when they're both healthy, he's not as good. Yet, we want to pay him more and offer up a draft pick.

I get it that we lost the signing war on Jake, but don't make the mistake of bringing in a lesser guy and overpay. Use the resources you have. Trust the draft analysis you had last year on Martin. Either that or use the resources you have current - draft picks - and go up and get the guy you want if you put a premium at that position. It's really simple. Branden Albert should really be an afterthought and only taken on if it's a deal you can't pass up IMO.

33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Per PFF:

Here are the 10 most overvalued offensive tackles from 2012:

Brandon Albert was 7th in Pass Blocking Efficiency while Long was 21st.

PFF values Albert more than Long at this point in their careers.

34. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I don't know how relevant the old Draft Pick Value chart is these days. Probably more relevant than before the Rookie Wage Scale was implemented, but less than when originally created. If the numbers are to be believed then our 1st plus either of one our 2nds should be enough to get us up to the 6th or 7th pick. If that is accurate, I would rather do that than trade for Albert and the crazy money he wants. In effect, you wouldn't be giving up anymore than the trade would cost with KC (either of our 2nd rounders) and you would get a younger less expensive player. Even if you had to throw in a 7th or even a 6th round pick for sweetener it seems to make more sense.

Of course that is all based on the relevance of the chart and assumes that one of the tackles are still there.

35. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

If we can make a deal that doesn't cripple us financially I really don't see why not.

36. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

You can get Joeckel or Fisher for a price much less that Albert. For a team that's trying to retool, a huge OT contract is unfavorable. We've seemingly tooled already aside from some rookie impact players.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  37. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Everyone's saying we could of had long, we could of had long but Ireland did try to keep long and he just didn't want to play here. I saw all of his interviews prior to and during free agency, you could just tell he wasn't coming back. We offered the same contract as St. louis and he chose to go to freakin' Missouri over Miami. And I mean did you see what Todd did, he even got his wife on board to stay down here, so in the end of all that Jake chose to leave Miami, I don't think it was purely Irelands fault. And can everyone stop bringing age into this discussion, Albert is 28 drafted the same year as Long and that is not old. Plenty of time for him to play out his next contract at a high level if we do sign him. Do people think 25-26 year old premiere and established LT's in this league just become available everyday? I know no one wants to give up a 2nd, **** i hope we give a 3rd, but at the end of the day if we make this move it fills a big whole and we have a lot of draft day flexibility and that makes me damn excited.

Fin D likes this.
  38. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Pick one.

Money or draft picks.

You'll give up a lot of money but just one draft pick for Albert. You'll give up less money but at least three draft picks for Joeckel, Fisher, or Johnson.

I hope they go option C... sign Eric Winston then draft a tackle on day two.

CANDolphan likes this.
  39. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

40. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/260125/report-fins-willing-to-meet-t-alberts-price

Fin D likes this.