1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Jets HC Candidates - McCarthy etc.

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by Galant, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

2. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    He has some warts but I wouldn't complain if he was hired.

3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Given the Jets situation, with their young QB already on board and a few solid WRs, McCarthy makes sense. Five years ago, I would have loved to have him come to Miami, but now I don't think he would work for our total rebuild, and I'm guessing Ross feels the same way as we aren't pursuing him.

If everything goes right for the Jets, then they could be on the edge of the WC mix next season, given that they'll have four games against the Fins and Bills where they should be favored.

4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    McCarthy is apparently being very picky in what he wants and location matters. He passed on Arizona because it was too far for him. I suspect he also had the same opinion of Miami, in addition to unsettled QB.

McCarthy is going to be an interesting guy. The biggest questions for Jets fans if McCarthy ends up there ...

1) Is Aaron a product of McCarthy, or vice versa, or somewhat in the middle. Why? Aside from Aaron, "QB Guru" McCarthy hasn't really produced much of note and his handling of Hundley was absolutely atrocious.

2) Can Mike update his offense? He runs a very certain scheme that is predicated on WRs outright winning battles, and when guys that ran it well (ala Jordy Nelson) went out, he struggled to adapt to new players and refused to adapt new schemes. He also massively struggled to incorporate a running game, or even to just use his best back (Jones). If getting fired serves as a wake up and turns him into an innovator ala Reid? GREAT hire. If he stubbornly tries to shoehorn various ill-fitting pieces into "his scheme"? Bad hire, with Darnold likely busting.