1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

our chances of drafting a QB just got better

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyNeverInhaled, Jan 13, 2011.

1. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Ophinerated likes this.
  2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Looks like he'll be taking a paycut.

Trowa, bamadolphin, NorFlaFin and 8 others like this.
  3. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't understand all the hate for Cam Newton. Do any of you really think he's the only player in college football who got paid? Puh-leeeeze!

bamadolphin, gunn34 and Steve-Mo like this.
  4. Ricky'sBong

Ricky'sBong Reborn

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    I dont hate him. Im just not aboard the full speed ahead hype train.

5. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    I don't think they hate him for getting paid. Poking fun at him for getting caught is funny though.

Also, I don't think there are too many people here who think he'll be a good NFL QB anyhow.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Huge difference between Henne and Newton:

-Henne only recently bought a laptop to study plays

-Newton had a stolen laptop that he tossed out the window when the police knocked on the door

Newton clearly is not only smarter, but has more escape ability...

Hexonx, evz, adamprez2003 and 12 others like this.
  7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Lol keep them rolling in!

8. Ophinerated

Ophinerated Preposterous!

Apr 1, 2008
    :lol:

9. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    He earned every penny he was paid at Auburn.

10. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Another big difference is Newton went for the touchdown and stole the laptop.

Henne would have panicked, checked down, and ended up steeling a calculator.

Starry31, hemidemon, gunn34 and 2 others like this.
  11. godolphins

godolphins New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Cam Newton=Vince Young 2.0

I rather we sign VY in free agency than draft Newton

azfinfanmang, mullingan and smahtaz like this.
  12. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Me too. Young is 30-17 as a NFL starter and willed his college team to a National Championship. Newton is 0-0 in the NFL and didn't look so hot in his.

13. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Take the smaht out of that name, son - if you are judging on one game.

Newton was 180-282 66.2%, 2854 yds, 10.2 YPP, 30 TD's and 7 INT's for the season. 182 QB rating
    Young went 212-325, 65.2%, 3036 yds, 9.3 YPP, 26 TD's and 10 INT's his senior season. 163 QB rating

Newton simply has better passing stats and is equal the runner to Young. But, Newton has a much better throwing motion & release, stronger arm, is built tougher (more like Big Ben) at 260 vs 233. And, he's not an emotional, "I'm wanting to quit football" head case. His teammates love him.

I don't know that Newton will be great in the pros - no one does - but from what I've seen in watching QB's play for a long time Newton clearly has a better chance at success than Young. And, Young wasn't all bad when his head was in the game. His problem twofold: 1) work ethic; 2) emotional state.

There is no doubt that if Newton has both (and his rep at Auburn was very high - but who knows, right?) he has a great shot to become a very good QB.

gunn34, The Rev and smahtaz like this.
  14. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This news doesn't even really help us. He wont be the top QB drafted, or even probably top 3 drafted. The guy has to look to the sideline have his coach read the defense for him. He isn't really accurate. I expect him to go late 20's even into the second round.

15. godolphins

godolphins New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Hopefull we're not stupid enough to draft him

azfinfanmang likes this.
  16. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Please, he will run fast, jump high, "Make every throw", and look like gold at the combine when he takes his shirt off! Whats not to love?

Please let somebody before us take this guy so I won't throw up on my keyboard!

bamadolphin and azfinfanmang like this.
  17. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Judging one game?

Young is 30-17 as an NFL starter.

VY could easily be a long term head case for sure or a change of scenery could be just what the doctor ordered. I don't know. Regardless, I know you watched his championship game and thought damn, that kid put his team on his back and won a big game. Newton played OK in his. He missed a wide open receiver in the end zone and threw an ugly pick, but he wasn’t terrible. Not sure why his coach didn’t give him a chance to win the game, but that’s another discussion.

With all that said I’d probably take Newton at 15, but with no 2nd round pick, I’m not impressed enough to give up next years #1 to move up to get him.

As of today, Vince Young is better than Cam Newton and cheaper.

mullingan likes this.
  18. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Seems pretty silly to judge Vince Young solely on his record. The Titans were 30-17 with VY as a starter, despite VY being the starter. There's a reason Fisher won't coach VY anymore. VY is a glorified Jay Fiedler. He wins games, but he is not good enough to win the big games in the NFL because he lacks the key abilities a QB needs to carry his team in the tough situations. Plus, you add the fact that he's 1 boo away from a nervous breakdown + you add the fact that he's so injury prone from being a running back playing a QB on TV.

I don't want either VY or Cam Newton, but if you're going to take one of these running QBs, I go with the younger one that has a few years before his body starts breaking down. If we sign Vince Young as a starter, I'll never get over it.

19. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Yep, one of the big reasons the Titans are 30-17 in those starts are Chris Johnson

GMJohnson and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Good defense, good ST as well, the Titans were a solid team around VY.

As for Newton, I am not wild about him, kinda don't like his situation as imho he lacks experience enough to take a huge chance on him.

We have a nice string of non bust #1 picks rolling..:lol:

Even then though, a part of me says "go for it", we may not have many busts, we also have few playmakers.

Eh, difference between a brick layer and a gambler, slow and steady vs overnight success.

21. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    if we go by way of draft, I suggest we decide who is the best
    QB available in the draft & move up, if necessary & get him

22. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    66% isn't accurate enough for you?!?!

23. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    He is a huge project, and not NFL ready. If a team wants to draft him and sit him for a year or two, then he might be worth it. We can only hope that someone drafts him ahead of us, and it lets one of the real NFL ready guys to fall to us, or it allows Ingram to fall to us.

24. Auburn

Auburn New Member

Dec 13, 2010
    The real problem here is that we are all guessing. I'd love for us to get Cam but what then? I am seriously questioning our ownership. What is the plan, are we a passing team as we have Marshall and Bess, a running team if we bring back Brown? What is the team's identity? Newton would energize the team at first for sure and he cannot be any worse than Mark Sanchez. But to what end. In this division I think its best to draft D, use a strong running game and keep the likes of Brady off the field. I want no part of Vince Young, he is terrible for the clubhouse and thats not the identity we need.

GMJohnson likes this.
  25. godolphins

godolphins New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Against college players, watch that take a big dip when he start playing pro football

26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, when I watched Auburn, Newton was hitting WIDE open Wr's gardenhead, he was not throwing into NFL sized windows, that is one of the things, along with not enough starting experience, that makes me a bit gun shy about drafting him.

Hitting guys open by 4 steps is now huge feat, what happens when it is just 1 step?

flynryan151 and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  27. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    IMHO, the QB role in the NFL is going thru a make-over. You will see alot more of the Tim Tebow types of QBs in the NFL. Not only will they be able to pass, but they will tuck the ball and run like a great TE.

That makes the job of the D coord harder. They will have to keep a LB just behind the line to shadow the QB. If they send the LB on a blitz and he misses, the QB can run for huge yards, if he has his LB wait for the run to stop a huge break-away, he will have more time to throw. It's tuff.

I'm all aboard the new style QB. At least have one on the roster. I think Cam is more a big Steve Young over a Vince Young.

28. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    one thing to keep in mind though is cam newton will have to learn the pro game. the adavntage of vince young is he's already been in the league for a few years. you get to bypass the learning curve with vince which in cam's case will probably be about three years.

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wouldn't cost us the #15 either, Adamp, I am beginning to think that particular strain of Derangement is beginning to emerge, Dolfans Quarterback Derangement Syndrome, a sort of ******ed consensus is beginning to emerge, and Ross is supporting it, that fans know best..

They don't at this point in time we would have Brady Quinn at Qb if "fans" had any input in Football Decisions..among other things.

30. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    there's the million dollar question. Newton will struggle. I can see him easily evolving to Vince's current level (which IMO is not nearly good enough to make it far in the playoffs). question is, can he evolve farther than VY and be worthy of a 1st round pick. I have serious doubts.

And to further Padre's point, Todd McShay was just discussing how Cam's biggest weakness is his accuracy under pressure. His point is that Cam Newton should not be drafted until the end of round 1.

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is a scenario I could live with, if we trade back and pick up a late #1 pick and late #2 or early #3, if we take Newton then it would make much more sense as we could address the running game AND have a good Qb prospect.

The problem with Newton imho is if he is drafted, we got nothing until pick #78, we start rebuilding the running game with a 3rd rd pick? That is going to fail.

Now a plan B, depending on the OC, would be to resign Ronnie B and pair him up with a younger running back taken later in the draft, then go Oline #3-#6, then add a scat back type/returner in the 7th rd.

Or sign Chad Owens from the CFL.

32. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    I still would rather have Quinn at QB than Ginn at WR.

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That would be BRILLIANT!

Ginn won as many games singlehandidly as Quinn has won as a Starting NFL Qb.

Fans should not make football decisions, we are a stupid lot.

34. hemidemon

hemidemon New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    We're better off signing VY. All of the QBs, as I see it, in this draft are developmental. At least VY has had time to develope.

35. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    You're joking, right? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm serious.

36. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, if VY can get on some meds and if they are dosed properly, I think he will be a pretty good QB.

37. cubanogrande2001

cubanogrande2001 New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Excuse me me but why all the Newton hype......ciuldnt we end up drafting another Russell (Raiders)? No chances ....get a proven free agent please!

38. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    :lol: Ginn won games single handedly...BRILLIANT!

A #7 pick who was thrown to 242 times as a Dolphin that resulted in 5 TD catches. Apparently having one good game against the Jets on Kick Returns (the first return was designed by the ST coach, not Ginn's instincts and the second return Ginn got lucky b/c he didn't wait for his blocks) overshadows all the dropped passes, running for out of bounds, diving on the ground to avoid being hit, fumbles, and letting easily caught punts bounce and roll for excessive yard loss was a BRILLIANT decision by the FO.

Ginn's play contributed to a lot more LOSSES than "one" win.

And "no" I am not saying fans should make the call or that Quinn is a good QB. I am saying Quinn was a better QB than Ginn was a WR.

39. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    This is the truth. I really don't care for Vince Young being here but if it comes down to him or drafting Cam Newton with the #15 I'm in favor of going after VY. Cam Newton is the second coming of VY. In three years he will be in the same place just watch. Cam Newton is not at all ready to be an NFL QB. His mechanics are poor, his pocket awareness is weak and he will struggle with accuracy. The next level will be a slippery slope for Newton. His development will have to be flawless to turn this guy into a pro QB. All in all I think he also lacks the brains to be a good QB in the NFL.
    It is too much of a risk. Stay the hell away from him.

40. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Absolute crazy talk. :up:
    Ginn would have helped us this past season.
    Brady Quinn is a twit.... and a bust.

MarinePhinFan likes this.