1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our RB and WR and QB upgrade choice for this offseason and why them ?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fastball83, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    But Wallace's strength isn't his 4.4 speed, it's his size at 6-4, 235. It only becomes his strength as a seam busting TE.

Meh, you guys are focusing too much on blocking and not looking to expose the defense. If they treat him like a third WR then let him block a CB. The same reason we put Sean Smith on defense to cover a TE. If you have a LB covering him send him in motion to space. Bottom line is he offers matchup problems on early downs. Go two TE set and audible at the line depending on the defense. San Diego made Kellen Winslow a HOF-er based on similar concepts.

Bottom line is he's expendable and if he doesn't progress I see him trying to make the same switch as Wilford as it simply offers more upside.

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    On the inside, where the Tight End lines up, speed doesn't matter as much. That's just a simple fact. You've got three levels of defenders to beat before you clear anything, and you're bouncing around on the inside among a tight group of bodies like a pinball machine. If you're not physical and you can't make your way in a crowd, do a bunch of little things right, it doesn't matter if you have 4.4 speed or if you have 4.8 speed. The difference on the inside of a defense is marginal. And if you can't block, it doesn't matter where you line up, you're being treated as a wide receiver. That's another simple fact. You're not getting linebackers to cover you over stretches of distance. You have safeties, maybe even corners, and they have the spacing advantage on you.

It's really very simple. On the inside, speed matters less, and physicality and savvy route running, ball skills matter much more. It's the entire reason guys like Davone Bess and Wes Welker can thrive as slot receivers. You move Roberto Wallace to the inside, where he's marginally sized for a Tight End wannabe, the only thing he has going for him is his speed. But on the inside, that's like taking a sprinter and assuming he'd be good for a marathon.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  3. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Yeah, It's not that I don't get that aspect. Although getting by three levels of defenders seems like hyperbole even for a Dustin Keller or Tony Gonzales.

But, yeah, you've swayed me. He probably offers more on his current path...

Now how about Alama-Francis(he's played basketball...Pffft!):lol::up:

4. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Hah. I could maybe see Ikaika there. Dude is physical as sin and a great athlete. He did get that fumble recovery against the Steelers too, so he must have some ball skills.

What a sad state our backup TEs are in, that we're having this conversation about Roberto Wallace and Ikaika Alama-Francis making position switches. It's not like there weren't TEs to be had in this draft. This was a STRONG Tight End draft. You could have had a Rob Gronkowski instead of Jared Odrick, could have had a Tony Moeaki or Jimmy Graham instead of John Jerry, could have traded up our 4th rounder to try and pick up Dennis Pitta or Aaron Hernandez instead of grabbing A.J. Edds, could have had Andrew Quarless instead of Nolan Carroll. Even guys like Michael Hoomanawanui and Brody Eldridge are contributing.

I don't think this TE class is going to be all that great.

Pandarilla likes this.
  5. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Thanks..... but you stated it first and broke it down well. lol.

6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    :sidelol: Well..... I shouldn't be laughing. lol.

I don't get our drafting sometimes when it comes to stuff like you mentioned. We've done this multiple times.

I hate retrospect, but if we grabbed Barwin instead of our toy project White, then we could've taken Gronkowski over Misi w/o any hesitation.

I'm actually jealous of what NE did in the draft----- grabbing who will become arguably the best all-around TE in Gronk and follow it up with a perfect compliment to him in Hernandez..... and now look what those 2 guys are doing for that offense: 61 catches, 772 yards ,and 9 TDs. If Brady enjoys throwing to these guys this much, imagine how much a developing QB like Henne would relish having them as targets.

I'd love to see how we'd look with Gronk, Hernandez, and Jacoby Ford. Those are 3 serious impact players that you can't find every year. We could've picked up a G any time and done perfectly well this year with Moses starting IMO. I hope this team begins placing some emphasis on the importance of grabbing rare impact players when we have the opportunity.

7. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    CK I think you're right in the sense that the explosiveness for this offense will have to come out of the running game in the next few years since that's where new starting (high play count) personnel will likely come out of. I can't see them breaking up the Marshall-Bess-Hartline grouping (even though it's flawed) and Fasano seems to be a favorite.

8. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    The TE who I'm growing to like a lot is David Paulson from Oregon if he comes out a year early (even though he's a redshirt Junior).

CK, if Jernigan runs a sub 4.4, does he go on your radar?

9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    No not really, on Jernigan. I don't particularly like guys who have track speed that you rarely see on the field.

10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    How about if he also has a 12'10" broadjump and a 63" vertical?...... and he puts up 27 on the bench with a shuttle of 3.8? Would he go on it then? :shifty:

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yeah, I'd put him at QB.

12. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Ponder is being underrated now imo, still a very solid QB prospect. Accuracy, vision, size, movement- a lot of good qualities that will serve him well as a pro.

13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm having a hard time finding any quality WRs with serious home run speed. Am I missing anybody (besides Jernigan :lol:) ??

14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Damn..... can't get you to go along with anything. lol.