1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overall impression of henne, and what of penningtons role?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Gjonez33, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Gjonez33

Gjonez33 New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    how would you rate chad henne's performance this year. and im sure he is starting. so what do you see happening to chad pennington

2. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Unfortunately I don't see Penny coming back although I am hoping that he does. I believe that he was extremely influential in Henne's development and would still be a great asset to him. I would also love to see him help in the development of either White or Thigpen.

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Pennington would be a good thing to bring in as a Player/Coach
    however
    to do that they will have to give him an honest shot @ the start

I hope to see his return :yes: we are a better team w/ him in the stable
    regardless who starts @ QB:
    competition is the elixir of success

2socks likes this.
  4. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Obviously I can only speak for myself but I would have no problem in bringing him in and let him battle it out for the starting spot. I doubt he would win but it would be a great way to continue to push Henne. Then I would move White. Either Via trade or let him compete at wide out.

the 23rd likes this.
  5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    my thoughts exactly

6. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I think Penny will wind up retiring, but if he doesn't, I doubt he will be back.

7. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Chad Henne's performance this year was a solid positive. He didn't come out and light the world on fire, but realistically you cannot expect that, and he did the next best thing.

He showed flashes of doing everything. He had games with high completion percentage, yardage, games where he took the game on his back, games where he managed it, etc. and so on.

He made plenty of mistakes, but they generally weren't the same ones, and you didn't really see any big, glaring, repeated flaws(Besides maybe his touch).

jetssuck and djphinfan like this.
  8. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    So did Jay Fiedler. There is no way we can be happy with what this guy did this year. No way. If we are then we got a long road a head of us. His QB rating is 75.2. Pennington was the starter when he was healthy and I see no reason why it would be any different if and when he comes back as long as Pennington is healthy. We are a better team with Pennington, his QB rating was 97.4. Thats a woping 22 points which is huge.

Glaring repeated flaws....how about 12 TD's to 14 Int's. His touchdown total is a little above half the league average for starting QB's. How about all the long balls to Ginn. Is the lack of the long ball Henne's fault or Ginns.

Need to see more. Understanding we could end up with another season of mediocre football, I want to win now. I do understand its a process. But **** it's been a process since 1973........time to step up to the plate!!

9. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Yes, there is. The way is realizing he was a first year starter with no real talent at the WR and whose best RB went down with a season ending injury.

jetssuck and brandon27 like this.
  10. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    That's a fair assessment. Just curious from all those who think the guy is the next coming. Does this mean he gets a pass until we shore up WR and we either get Ricky and Ronnie back or do something else at running back. Just don't want him to go the Tedd Ginn route and in 3/4 more years were still talking about it.........just saying. Then again there may be nothing to my concern. Next year he could be Dan Marino....................

11. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida

Stop using that fancy "logic".

12. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If and when?

The dude is a FA. There's not any amount of certainty that Penny will be back here, let alone that he would be the starter.

13. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    And????? What are you saying....we are not gonna resign him???

14. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    It's very possible that we don't.

15. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I hope we don't let him get away. You think Henne's the answer???

16. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I don't think he's any less of an answer than Pennington.

17. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Never!

18. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I would give him at least one more season. If we improve our wr corps and add a good te and Ronnie manages to play most of the season, and he doesn't show marked improvement, then we have to look elsewhere.

19. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I suppose it depends on the question. I don't know what in particular they're looking for, but I'd presume more TDs than INTs would be a part of that. We'll have to see next year.

20. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    damn you are so right about henne and your prediction for 3 or 4 years in the future
    we should just cut him now and draft tebow :rolleyes:
    someone needs to teach you a thing or two about developing qb's
    you expect the egg to crack and out pops dan marino
    it only goes that way once in a lifetime

21. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Henne can play. He did just fine leading his team this year. Let’s not forget he was 16-20-1-1 before he went down v. Pittsburg. An upgraded defense and a few more exciting young players like Hartline and he’ll be rocking.

22. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    competition is the elixir of success

23. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I didn't say to cut anyone.....those were your words. Don't put words into my mouth.

What I said, maybe you should read it again, was it was a great opportunity to take a look at Tebow and other players during senior week. Since Sparano is coaching, it is a great opportunity to look at these guys in ways others will not be able to. Only the coaches can determine who they draft.

I meerly pointed out that Henne posted a pathetic 75.2 QB rating, good for 22nd in the league among starting QB's. You took it from there and twisted it to mean in your mind what you wanted it to. Obviously from your reaction you feel that rating is lame because you immediately thought it necessary to defend Henne. I didn't make up the number the number is indicitive to how he played. Weather that number is partially because our receivers are not so great or the fact that Ronnie got hurt, or the constant shuffling of linemen doesn't matter. I stand by what I said which 75.2 is not gonna be hard to improve on. Only Sparano and Co. will decide if it's Henne himself who gets to try and improve on it. Personally, I hope Henne gets another shot. I also would like to see Pennington competing against him. I think Pennington would win the contest but that is JMO. Either that or the pics and 100% frozen rope throws need to go away so that our receivers have a better chance at catching the ball.

I am well aware QB's like Dan Marino only come around 1 time in every 20 years. Doesn't mean we can't look at Tebow to see if he is that guy. Chances are he isn't but that doesn't mean Sparano can't look. We can look at running backs playing during that week also....doesn't mean we want to trade or cut Ronnie Brown.:up:

24. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Personally I was disappointed to see Pennington given the starting job this season. If they were to bring him back and let him even compete for the starting job, I would be done with this FO. And they would likely be looking for jobs by 2012....

He's ok if you're looking for a QB to hold down the fort while you groom someone........or if you are playing the easiest schedule in the league. Other than that....he's just too physically limited. IMO....

I'm not ready to anoint Henne just yet, but to put a final grade on him this early and without giving him a chance to see what he can do with better targets, would be a huge mistake.

2socks likes this.
  25. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    First year starter......no legit #1 WR or TE and playing the toughest schedule in the league. Do you really think that's being fair, calling his play "pathetic"?

I'll agree on decreasing the number of picks and even that he needs to back off on the 5 yd lasers.....but I love those frozen ropes. Watching him throw those outs over the shoulder of the defender is a thing of beauty.

26. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    sorry imo theres 0 comp. this is Henne's job period. sorry 23 that quote is getting old. no offense intended.

if henne had a go to ga e changing wr and te, he would be unstoppable. he made mistakkes but worked hard on them, didnt sshy away n excuse them. he also madE alot of mistakes when taking more risk was required becausse def gave up big leads.

with yr exp and OTA & train camp as starter he wil soar

jetssuck likes this.
  27. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    dude you obv are a penny fan diluted because u want ur guy. that is the only rationale for that post

28. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I agree the ropes are pretty to look at but there is a reason Pennington was a better QB and we were a better team with Pennington and that boils down to 10% points in pass completion %, way less pics and a understanding of how to game manage. Pennington's rating was not 22 points higher for no reason.

I am not saying Henne can't learn this stuff. How long does it take to realize it though??? 1 season, 2 seasons, 3 seasons, 4 seasons,???? we will be going on season 3 next year .....hopefully someone has whispered in his ear!!!

I didn't call Henne's playing pathetic. I called his rating Pathetic.....because it is. We can sit here and pretend that our QB with a 75 rating will take us to the promise land but that's almost as bad as thinking Pennington is gonna launch 65 yard rockets to Ginn each game........some on this board thought Henne would do it.........didn't happen because that is not or offense. Our offense is perfect for a QB that plays like Chad...........you fill in the last name:up: