1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owners Send Proposal Of Hard Cap To Players(NBA)

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Topdawg13, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Topdawg13

Topdawg13 New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indiana
    Looks as though we'll have another sport in labor turmoil, can't see the players agreeing to these stipulations.

2. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

And the tailwhip effect of the economy hits the NBA. I read an article about this about a year ago that the NHL and NBA were gonna get hit hard by this. Teams ticket sales were slightly up last year...but attendance was way down, just like baseball. Kiosks for food and merchandise were close which means normal revenue streams at games were garnering less, and thus, the owners were going to find a way to streamline their costs going out.

This could get very ugly. But I kind of see the owner's point. A 1 to 1 luxury tax is ridiculous and penalizing both sides of the equation. The elite teams get raped of their revenue and the craptacular teams that have owners too afraid to spend any real money put out a terrible product.

A hard cap with a hard floor would be best for everyone I think. Plus...it would make trades way less complicated and you would probably see less "bit" players thrown in.