1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parcells, Draft, and the New Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by definsewins, Dec 21, 2007.

1. definsewins

definsewins New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Whassup Finheaven? What a game this past weekend..I come home from college go to my first game of the year and we get the most emotional win i've ever been to! What an experience hugging high fiving random fans as long as they were sporting the aqua and orange. Had to be on the same level as Dan Marino's retirement ceremony.

Anyways, I've been actively reading all the posts on here and several other fins sites throughout this rough season. These are my thoughts and opinion on Parcells, the draft, and our beloved Fins.

I am elated that we signed Bill Parcells. The guy knows his stuff. I am very confident that mueller will be gone. Parcells is gonna put in a GM that shares his same beliefs and that he can trust. Bill will be the final decision but not do the GM's duties. The GM that he brings in (good chance it will be Ireland from Dallas) will still do his duties: scout players, sign contracts, run the draft etc. However, Bill will be the final word. I am 100% sure Bill will be selecting our first pick. He is going to select the big physical players that he wants to put in his system. Just like Kraft overruled Parcells and selected Terry Glenn back in the day...Parcells will decide who we draft. As for the rounds after that, Bill and our GM will be on the same page so they will immediately grab player X when X, Y, and Z are on the board.

As for our Cam Cameron...who really knows? You can make an argument for both sides. Injuries, first season, and other excuses can be made. But the main thing is...Cam doesn't have CAJONES. Yes, he has started goin it on fourth down recently but that is because our season was long over. Early in the season he made questionable calls with several games on the line. His game plan is way to conservative. He plays not to lose..not to put the game away. We might not have talent but when you lose 7 games by 3 or less points that is all coaching. Your players kept you in the game and one or two bad decisions by your coach loses you the game. The media has also reported on problems in the locker room between Cam and some players. He also did not prepare his players for the regular season by having a ***** training camp and the players lost faith in the coach. I think that in the end Bill will decide to bring in his own guy from his coaching tree. Several options have been made. I promise you it wont be a cowher or schottenheimer. It could be coughlin, zimmer, or the pats offensive coordinator. I dont think Jason Garret is a real option because he is being groomed to become the Cowboys head coach and i dont think Jones would allow him to leave. Some how he'd convince him to stay.

Dom Capers is gone as well.

Now, onto the draft. I live for the Dolphins, fantasy football...but one thing i take pride in and truly love is the NFL draft. Maybe its because most of my life the fins have had early selections and i pray for playmakers that will come in and change the franchise. Well, before we signed Parcells i was wavering back and forth between Dorsey and Mcfadden. Do we take the best player available or a player in a need position? Will Ronnie be healthy? Does Dorsey fit our system? Questions will be there regardless.

Here are my conclusions as of 12/21/07 (there is a long time before the draft so A LOT can change):

Parcells has gone on record and said he does not like selecting running backs in the first round because he feels you can plug in any running back into the system. Drafting Julius Jones in the 2nd round and Marion Barber in the 4th proves this. Also, we have Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, Jesse Chatman, and Lorenzo Booker. Money issues would also occur if we took a rb because we cant afford to pay two running backs that kind of money. Therefore.. I am fairly confident to say we will NOT be selecting Darren Mcfadden.

Bill LOVES big defensive players that fit the 3-4. He drafted Ty Law, Willie Mcginest, Demarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, and Terrence Newman in the first round. The only time he took offensive players was Bledsoe #1 overall and terry glenn(only because kraft forced him to, Bill actually was going to select a defensive end).

Based on his past drafts and this years top players, I think we have 2 or 3 options to choose from: Glenn Dorsey, Chris Long, and Vernon Gholston.

Glenn Dorsey is everyones consensus pick as the best defensive player in the draft. He has a few injury issues and people question whether he fits the 3-4.

I think right now he is the pick over long (kind of light for a 3-4 end at 270ish) and gholston (a stud who i would love to trade down for if we can...hes been flying up draft boards).

I think he's the pick assuming we move him to END. Marcus Spears is 298 lbs. 6-4 and played d-end in the 3-4 for parcells and was selected 20th overall. Glenn Dorsey is 299 6-2. A little shorter but definitely can have the same kind of impact that spears has for the cowboys. I think Dorsey can get 3-5 sacks a year but more importantly would be a dominant force in the run defense. He will penetrate the backfield with his high motor and make many tackles for loss. If that isn't good enough, hes such a big guy on the outside that he will free up Jason Taylor and Joey Porter to rush from his outside and reek havoc on opposing quarterbacks. Once we draft young stud inside linebackers they will be able to also make plays because dorsey will command two offensive lineman to cover him.

I will make another post in the next coming weeks on the rest of the draft. I think we definitely will draft a nosetackle in the 2nd or 3rd round and will grab a linebacker or defensive back as well. Bill wont take wrs too early(he has hit on brown 8th round and crayton 7th) but has taken tight ends in the 2nd or 3rd (fasano). He also typically doesnt spend first day picks on offensive lineman.....But thats it for now.

Feel free to leave your opinions and comments. Please remember that it is very early and the next few weeks we will learn a lot about where this team is heading...

Parcells lives to rebuild teams and you can be sure he will leave his fingerprints all over this team...kindof like the cowboys who are now 12-2.:wave:

2. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think you're right on about it being between those 3 of Dorsey, Long and Gholston. I have a feeling it will come down to Chris Long and Vernon Gholston depending of if we are able to trade the pick or not. My personal preference would be Gholston as we seem to lack that OLB in the 3-4. JT's future is up in the air in regards to playing here or not and Joey Porter is limited to the weakside in a 3-4 base as he was in Pittsburgh. I'm not sure if Long can play the hybrid DE/OLB spot, but I believe he'd be a solid 3-4 DE.

3. grushcow

grushcow New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    historically his favorite school to draft from is tennessee. followed by virginia and west virginia so i wouldn't be surprised to see one of our players to come from there (erik ainge, eddie royal, owen schmitt for example) i think we should take vernon gholston as i figure these next few months will shoot him up draft boards, remember that parcells loves freakishly large players, especially lineman so look out for Duke Robinson (JR) out of Oklahoma who weighs in at a monstorous 355 pounds and should be available with our first 2nd rounder

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  4. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Loadholt (if he declares) and King Dunlap would also fit the Jumbo sized criteria..

5. Whitedolphin54

Whitedolphin54 From the land of legends Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    Good post. Dont know if you are right, but it all makes sense to me.

6. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    neone have Goulstons stats? apparently can't find it for some stupid reason.

Thats good news for allen as far as tenessee goes loll

7. billsfaninpeace

billsfaninpeace New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Based off his chat with ESPN it does not sound like he will be the final word

8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  9. Danny

Danny New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    I still think that we'll take Chris Long at 1 unless we move down...I like Dorsey but just not sure that he can be the NT on a 3-4 and I don't think he'd be fast enough to play End.

Ozzy rules!!

10. REV KEV

REV KEV New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    I am Ok with Gholsten or C long but we need to strengthen that o-line..., are our "only" strength

11. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Dorsey can indeed be a 3-4 nose with little difficulty, and he routinely plays end at LSU. He's moved all around their defensive line.

12. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Chris Long will probably show up at the combine at 285lbs. Defensive line guys tend to add weight up to the combine.