1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parcells goes out of his way to look at Nicks!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyNeverInhaled, Mar 28, 2009.

Tags:
  1. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama

It says a lot when the Director of Football Operations goes out of his way to take a look at you. Specially if his name is Bill Parcells. BP doesn't do anything for the heck of it. If this guy is there at pick 25, i believe we'll get him!

That's if we don't use that pick on Boldin!

2socks likes this.
  2. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    wont be there!

Sucks for us

3. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I think we should draft an Outside Linebacker or CornerBack, but If we draft Hakeem Nicks, then F*** Yes!

Xeticus likes this.
  4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If we are really seriously wanting Nicks at 25, why draw so much attention to it, by having it publicized that Parcells was making a rare trip to personally scout him? With all the misinformation spread around, for all we know it could be a smoke screen. Also, Sparano and Henne went to Gainesville to visit the Florida receivers. We could be more interested in Harvin @ 25, and/or Ingram in the early 2nd.

5. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

He probably had a golf game scheduled with his buddy Al Groh, just a few miles up the road, figured he'd drop in on what Nicks was doing and call it a business trip tutoring Sparano....

Seriously, it could mean they are very interested in Nicks. It could mean they are doing their 'due diligence' in case he falls to them and it could mean that they want to throw off other teams as to who they really want to pick.

This is the time of year you can't really read completely into what you see and read about these guys...IIRC, wasn't Ireland out looking at someone else at the same time ??? I thought I read that somewhere...at any rate, someone is going to fall to us and it might be Nicks...

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    id rather get sintim at 25 and alphonso smith with 2A and ingram with 2B :up:

Agua likes this.
  7. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I can live with that.

SICK likes this.
  8. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i believe it is disinformation ... its not like the FO doesn't like Nicks - i'm sure they do, and they also want everyone else to believe they do as well, so that they can pick up an impact player on defense (CB or LB).

there is nothing that this FO wants more than a player to put pressure on the QB (outside of Porter). unfortunately, the top 3 in that category 'should' be gone ... which opens up CB as the likely #1 pick @ 25.

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't think it's a smoke screen at all. I don't think we send Parcells out to look at players that aren't a serious consideration or even the top consideration. I think that the OLBs and CBs we've been looking at are all guys who are very likely to slip to the 2nd rd. And CB in particular is a position this regime doesn't rate very highly as evidenced by not drafting any last year and then only looking at bargain guys in FA this year.

Last year I was convinced we were taking Chris Long based upon Parcells' alleged draft tendencies. And I was okay with that but my first choice was Jake Long. I thought he was simply a smarter pick due to the difficulty of filling the position and the later talent available in the draft (I had them similarly rated as prospects).

This year I'm not buying the tendency crap. Nicks should be the pick if he's there.

10. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    I think Nicks will be available when we pick. Recievers always fall in the draft, always. I don't see three being taken before we pick.

11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    They do always fall but I'm worried about Minnesota.

12. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'd completely see us looking at Nicks considering our possible interest in Boldin. If we're going after Boldin, then it means we want a WR. Nicks would be a pretty good contingency plan for Anquan. ;)
    Posted via Mobile Device

13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

What is a #1 PITA? :unsure:

14. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Either we are really serious about this kid Nicks, or this is the most costly and elaborate smokescreen I have ever witnessed pre-draft.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  15. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Good post, you know me been my pick since the season ended!!!! Where ya been????:knucks:

16. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    thanks. I'm really fine with keeping our WR's and going after the best available WR next year. i think we have bigger needs and Pennington can throw the short ball to any WR on our team. When Henne is at the helm i would want a big name WR. The only 2 WR's i'm interested in this year is Boldin and Nicks. In that order.

p.s. i've been playing host to all the guests my wife has been inviting over. Don't you love it when your wife plans your weekend? lol. Next weekend is mine though, i got another fishing tournament next weekend.

2socks likes this.
  17. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    cool man, just missed chatting with ya. What about Harvin?? I'd take him to. Nicks first though. I think there will be a lot of mad and shocked people if we end up with Nicks.:tongue2:

18. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    i think both our on our radar and their weighin the pros and cons.

2socks likes this.
  19. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I like Nicks over Harvin.

What do you think????

20. Tractor Traylor

Tractor Traylor Crafty Veteran

Jan 5, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    It's hard to compare them since they are such different wide receivers. In our offense though, I agree with you. We already have some receivers that have similar games to Harvin whereas he don't have much similar to Nicks. He may not have measured out big but he plays much larger than anyone in the draft, IMO.

2socks likes this.
  21. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Pain in the arse! :wink2: because I have fun debating topics just for the sake of debating. LOL.

MrClean likes this.
  22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    i was respondeding to rickyinhale, i was refferring to hicks and boldin in that i believe we both have interest in.

23. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    pita pay key!

24. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    looks like you agree with me about Nicks and Boldin but you disagree with me about Ricky Inhaling. lol

djphinfan likes this.
  25. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    he's a tough guy, I would love to have him in aqua and orange:up:

26. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I agree Socks. ;) he's a WR, but he's also an improvement to our already potentially awesome ground attack!

If we want to be a physical team, IMO it's important to be physical across the entire offense....not just within the tackles.

Rafael made a great point about WR being Super Bowl MVP 3 of past 6 years bc of the rule change. We need a threat to take full advantage of this and help neutralize some of the tougher Ds in the league if we want to make a more successful run, while allowing our ground game to really explode.

Personally, I think one of our top priorities shoud be finding a game changing WR whom Henne can start building a rapport/chemistry with. A go-to guy would be a huge asset to his confidence and development IMO. He needs a guy whom he knows he will be throwing to consistently for the next 10 years ala Montana-Rice.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2socks likes this.
  27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    lol, gonna have to give you a nickname soon.

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    running game philosophy and improvement {must stretch the field vertically} would be the reason why i wont be upset if we went with Nicks instead of a nice new shiny linebacker.

Its like chess brother, must be thinking many moves ahead, its like we just forked the opponent and have the option to take the rook or the bishop... and the master is playin in this tournament...#1 receiver for henne {the bishop}...i can see the move....important for the teams future, or, i could go with the Rook {linebacker}, which brings equal value and versatility to our team...lets just say for your pleasure that the rook is barwin and the bishop is Nicks.. who you takin?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  29. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    It could be a great smoke screen.
    Because everybody knows he doesn't get out too often these days...especially to look at a wide out.
    So if it is, its epic. lol

30. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I know you meant my boy Pennington, not Henne so I'll excuse the error :tongue2:

You are absolutely right and was exactly what I was eluding to. Rickneverinhaled posted a post awhile back regarding a bunch of stats and several noticeable traits are well highlighted as a result:

1. The teams with a good, not great running game, who can across the field move the ball and do it with power are the top teams. ie: Pittsburg, NYG, and New England. What do each have we don't......tough receivers and a good passing game.

2. the point differential between offense and defense was only 4 or 5 points I believe. We were 3.

3. the good teams all have good physical receivers

RickyNeverInhaled and ToddsPhins like this.
  31. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    thanks for the stat, Socks. To add to that, I believe our point differential vs 5 of the worst 10 teams was only 4 points. That doesn't make me happy. :no:
    Posted via Mobile Device

32. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Smokescreen :yes:

33. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    IMO, Nicks would have as much of an impact on our entire offense/success as any OLB would have on our D. So one could argue that since we have Joey, a still improving Roth, and basically a 1st round pick in Wake....that we should go with an impact WR in 1 and add a top situational pass rusher in 5-6 who only needs to rotate in on 2nd and long and 3rd downs. Do you theoretically spend 2 1st rounders on a pass rusher in the same draft?

In all truthfulness, you can get a pass rusher later on who can perform at nearly just as high of a level as your every down 1st rounder...that is, if it's strictly added QB pressure that we're after. However, you can't make the same argument regarding the role of a WR. In theory, a 1st round WR should be more effective in every facet of his game than a 5th rounder.

One could add to this that we have 3 decent guys in Wake, Porter, and Roth to feel the need to permanantly push any of them to the bench...especially considering the possibility that Wake and Roth could emerge as quality every down starters by the end of the year. If that becomes the case, then we just spent a #1 pick on an OLB that could have been spent more wisely else where.

This isn't per say my opinion, but rather is just me opening a can of worms from a different perspective. :D
    Posted via Mobile Device

34. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i think the LB is the Knight and the DE is the Rook.

35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    wake does fit the bill in bringing in a player that is explosive and athletic, which was a huge weakness in our linebacking core last year.

so you are taking Nicks over barwin...

ToddsPhins likes this.
  36. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    good point. i believe we got JT in the 3rd and ZT in the 5th if i'm not mistaking. Usually WR's arent any good past the 2nd round, but then there's Devone Bess.

37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Nice nice analogy!
    Ouch....put me on the spot. :D
    I take Barwin bc he'll also impact special teams/blocking punts...and posssibly in the red zone on offense. IMO, he's the biggest game changer in the draft, so I have to go with that!

I emphasized Nicks bc I really don't see us getting Barwin or Mathews unless we trade up. :( So in that sense I'd prefer to have Nicks than taking one of the other Hybrids just because they fall to us. If Mayo went 10th last year, I could see Connor even going to Denver if they don't deal Cutler. ;)

38. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Good point. Bess was a steal, but he doesnt bring to the table what you can get from a 1st round WR. LOL

39. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Disappointingly, I actually feel Barwin would be a perfect fit in GB with Hawk and playing opposite Kampman.

40. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What about Sintim?