1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parcells - Recommended Rex to the Jets

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Big Sweat, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Big Sweat

Big Sweat New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Former Dolphins V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells tells O’Conner that Parcells recommended that the Jets hire Rex Ryan in 2009, after the Jets fired Eric Mangini.
    “I had a fierce rivalry with Rex’s father when I was coaching the Giants,” Parcells said, “but I held Buddy [Ryan] in high regard. What made Buddy a dangerous adversary was that he knew what he was looking for personnel-wise, and Rex is the same way. That’s a pretty good head start for Rex because there are quite a few coaches in this league who don’t know what they’re looking for.”
    Parcells said that Ryan was the second choice in Miami a year earlier, behind Tony Sparano. “[W]hen I interviewed him it wasn’t so much Rex that struck me as [it was] guys like Rex,” Parcells said. “Guys who grew up in football like Bill Belichick, guys whose fathers were coaches. . . . Those guys are just different. They get it. They have a great understanding of things that a lot of people who haven’t been in football their whole lives don’t have, and Rex was one of those guys.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ls-recommended-rex-ryan-to-the-jets/#comments

2. Steve-Mo

Steve-Mo 'Saban' Guy

Apr 14, 2010
    Western New York
    ****storm in 3...2...1...

3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    If only he had been man enough to hire him here as a coach, instead of installing a puppet regime.

DolfanJake and jetssuck like this.
  4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Does he not like Miami?

muscle979 and DolfanJake like this.
  5. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse Loose Cannon

Jan 17, 2011
    Hollywood, California
    Hiring Bill Parcells turned out to be more of a curse than a blessing. Let's be honest with ourselves, what exactly has he done since winning those Super Bowls with the Giants? Sure, he took the Patriots to the Super Bowl. Did he win? No. Yeah, he also took the Jets to the AFC Championship. Did he win that game? No. Well, he led the Cowboys to two playoff appearances. Did he win those games? Notice how the resume thins out over time. He's the Bernie Madoff of the NFL.

6. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
  7. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    This is a very old story that came out a long time ago.

Tannenbaum is close to Parcells, I really see nothing wrong with it. Football people talk to other football people to get their opinions all the time.

Ryan has said in the past that he talked with Parcells after his interview in Miami and that he respects him.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  8. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    that man-tittied mother****er.

9. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Maybe he felt he owed the Jets one after leaving them with Al Groh.

10. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

lol. Parcells has no sense of loyalty to owners nor fans, that's clear.

Thankfully, the Jets did not play the Dolphins again after mid-season, so maybe that's why Parcells felt okay doing it. But by helping the Jets, clearly it could have cost the Dolphins the division or a wildcard spot later. I mean, you simply don;t help your direct enemy in the division.

Unless you care more about doing what you want than the welfare of the team you are with. Clearly Parcells does what he wants, whether on not it harms the franchises he is supposedly helping.

Beware of Bill Parcells, he giveth, and taketh away. lol.

ToddsPhins and jetssuck like this.
  11. Bpk

So, mid-season you see nothing wrong with Parcells advising Ryan on how to correct his struggling team's problems so they can make a playoff push? Rmember, that could directly mean we would miss the playoffs if they edged us at the end of the season. It's just bad form. Like a marathon-running coach handing gatorade to the person running AGAINST their client and urging them on, helping them win. Not cool.

12. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Meh... I'm sick and tired of hearing about Parcells. The quicker we get rid of his stench around here the better. Too bad we can't go after him and get some of our cash back.

13. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Parcells F'ed over this organization so bad. He really put us in an awful spot because people trusted his opinion so much.

DolfanJake likes this.
  14. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    A: That was last year not this year.

B: No, coaches and football people talk to football people all the time. Scott Poli talks with him all the time. Coaches have there mentors people they talk too.

Again, I was one of the few that didn't want Parcells here. This is what he does, this what he always did.

15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    It "is" an old article, but still........... **** that piece of **** mother ****in double agent who's really working for the Jets. That was his plan from the beginning- to infiltrate our organization and plant the seed of coaching failures while hooking the Jets up for success.

16. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I told you guys we should've kept Cam Cameron one more year.

17. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    I believe REX has a brother somewere in the nfl,why not give him a shot ? :shifty:

18. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    I missed the part where Parcells has coached the Jets the last 2 years. The story is old and has nothing to do with how the Phins have performed.

parcellsguy and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  19. Bpk

A: I know.

B: We disagree, I guess.

Agree that this is who he has always been. Yup.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  20. godolphins

godolphins New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    **** Parcell!!!

21. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    So, to recap:

• Parcells came to Miami and gave us Tony Sparano;
    • he gave us Pat White, Pat Turner, Ernest Wilford and Gibril Wilson (according to the Jeff Ireland apologists);
    • and he recommended the HC to the Jets who has them poised to be back-to-back AFCC contenders.
    He must have REALLY hated us.

Any other explanation would have to include an avalanche or poor judgment and bad luck that would be nearly unprecedented.

muscle979, jetssuck and MikeHoncho like this.
  22. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Parcells was a complete failure in Miami. So now he is trying to take credit for the Jets hiring Ryan. I have lost all respect for this man. He interviewed Ryan but hired his puppet Sparano instead. I guess he feels better about himself for now coming out and taking credit for recommending Ryan to the Jets. What he obviously doesn't realize is how stupid and inept he looks because he hired Sparano and not Ryan for the Dolphins HC position. I wish Parcells would just take his money and shut up.

DolfanJake likes this.
  23. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    I think more and more that isn't a theory for guys with tin foil hats. There may be some truth in it.

WTF is he doing giving advice to a division rival when he is supposed to be giving 100% effort to build this franchise.

The more I know about Parcells, the more I hate him. :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

24. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    And this occurred to me as well; he worked for THE MIAMI DOLPHINS, yet he was advising our most hated rival to hire a genius Defensive mind?

What was he doing talking to them at all...double-dipping?

jetssuck and DolfanJake like this.
  25. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    It's bad enough he installed a head coach who is mediocre on his best day. Now he is trying to humiliate us.

DolfanJake likes this.
  26. GreysonWinfield

Nov 1, 2009
    Am I the only one not dwelling on this? For over a month its been how Parcells destroyed and back stabbed the organization. Did he do a fantastic job? No. Are they mediocre? Yes. Are they better than we he got here? Yes. Is mediocrity acceptable? No. Did he coach the Jets or give Rex some magic coaching elixir? No.

I'm just looking forward towards next season (hopefully) and to see if they can improve this team. Is that such a huge jump? I really don't think so. Questionable coaching decisions, 2 ST meltdowns and 7 losses at home. Fix that home record to .500 and split the ST meltdowns you have 11 wins. This with an offense that greatly underachieved and had injury issues on the line all year.

Flame on beothches. I'm ready.

27. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    He sent possibly the best coach available [depending on how you view Mike Smith and John Harbaugh who are pretty good too] back to Baltimore and then guided that coach to our rival. Are you kidding? We knew Parcells screwed us and then hit the road but this is even worse than any of us probably were thinking. Betrayal tends to piss people off. Don't act surprised.

DolfanJake likes this.
  28. GreysonWinfield

Nov 1, 2009
    So he chose not to hire Rex over Tony? Rex also interviewed with the Ravens (who he was on staff with) and the Falcons. Here you can fault Parcells 3X for what looks to be a bad decisions.

The Jets inquire about Rex the next year and Parcells is gonna say what? "He sucks." Then the Jets don't hire him. Or he gives his opinion of the guy, the Jets follow up with the Falcons opinion and he gets hired. I didn't read that he told the Jets to go after Rex out of the gate or he told Rex to chase after the Jets.

parcellsguy likes this.
  29. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Wow he just dumped all over Tony Sparano....if this is really what Parcells said. Some friend he is......the more I know about this fvcktard the more I hate him.

NaboCane likes this.
  30. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    just more typical overreaction by our fanbase. GMs or El Presidentes or whatever Parcells title was talk to each other all the time. Hell they even tip off their friends, other GMs, as to good players they have to cut so that that player isnt out of a job and to help out their friend GM's team. Its the way business is done not only in the NFL but in buisiness in general. There is nothing wrong with recommending Ryan to the Jets or whats his name to the 49ers. You collect favors that way and it helps you when you need a favor

31. Layfield

Layfield New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Boy, wouldn't we all be laughing if Rex turned out to be a complete bust in New York...

GreysonWinfield likes this.