1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pat White v Tyler Thigpen for the #2 job, let the fun begin!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, May 19, 2010.

1. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Even the guys like Mayock who believed White would be a good NFL QB, said it would be a 3 year process to go from running what he ran in college to being effective in pros. I could list a bunch of QBs who did little to nothing their rookie year that went on to have great careers. It is far to early to make a judgment on a QB; particularly one whose most optimistic supports have said will take time.

2. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

But you missed my point, as an NFL proset Qb, you're absolutely right. As a WCxQB, White isn't getting it done either. I still don't see White developing as a legit NFL QB, but that's really a different issue than what I have with him. As our starting guy or even #2 guy, I have no issue with him not producing in the limited role he had. That's something we can deal with. As a specialty guy, you'd think he could show something in regards to that 'specialty' role even in his first year. That's the issue I have with White. Personally, I think a guy should sit behind a veteran starter for at least 3 yrs before he gets the reigns handed to him.

But White wasn't drafted for that role primarily. He was drafted to be the next offensive weapon in the WC. That has not materialized and worse than that, there doesn't seem to be any potential there yet.... We really didn't see any glimpses of that explosive stretch offense QB that White was in college...that's what concerns me the most, at least for this coming year.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That I disagree with, White was mildly productive in the WC offense, as I pointed out 3 scores and nice Patriots game run, and it should be pointed out that WC Qb is not exactly a position in White played at WVa, he has a new set of reads to make and he also has to learn how to be a more complete..Running Back..

The downside was a 2.9 ypc average and a botched pitch in the wishbone, they never ran the wishbone at WVa, stuff like that just takes time to learn how to do.

4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Good points, and the spread they ran at WVU is not exactly the WC, as you said the reads are pretty much different, but Ronnie would probably have made those same plays if he had been healthy as White was basically taking his place, save for the nice run against the Pats, I think that was before Brown was out. It's about expectations for me...I just don't think he reached those levels and I'm not sure he showed enough that we can expect to see that level of play at some point in time...

I hope to have to eat all these posts by the end of this season...LOL

padre31 likes this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oh I agree, I kept waiting to see the WildCat 2.0 in 09, instead we saw Pat White running off tackle dive plays WITHOUT knowing how to run behind his pads when he runs the ball inside, he is very lucky he was not jacked up doing that last year.

The other problem was a sort of schizoid approach to using White, he was the #2 Qb and Henning said last season that created complications as they were not willing to risk him all of the time in running the WC, so we saw what we saw, head scratching usage based on Sparano saying "we need to see certain looks out of the defense before..."

I sorta have the feeling that there were very different visions for what Pat White would be doing in Miami all of last season.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  6. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    The "MildPat"

padre31 likes this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    :knucks: