1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pat White?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SCall13, Sep 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Okay, so everyone is venting about what was one of the most frustrating and mind-boggling losses we have all ever witnessed. But to change things up a bit:

What the hell is the coaching staff thinking with this Pat White experiment? There is no rhyme or reason as to why he comes into the game. Each time he was in there, he simply handed the ball off on a draw. Couldn't CP have done that? To me, this messes up the rhythm of the drive. No way should Pat White be listed as the #2 QB and Henne as the emergency. If CP goes down, do we really want to see White in there trying to win us a game? Not me. IMO, Pat White was a major wasted pick. If we want to run the WC, we already have RB and RW to do it, and the combination has proved to be very productive. So why waste that pick on a guy who is very unlikely to ever develop into an NFL caliber QB? It's choices like this that slowly start making you lose faith in what we thought would be a great front office. Pat White, not going after a TRUE #1 receiver, not doing anything to address our MLB spot, over-spending on an offensive line that really isn't very good. (Although they looked much better last night).

Anyway, this thread is about Pat White. Was anyone else scratching their heads when he was sent into the game for no purpose except to hand the ball off? And the times he went in were in situations where we were moving the ball well, and had established momentum. Each time he came in, we were dropped for no gain.

If Henne is indeed the QB of the future, he needs to be our #2 QB going into games. You never know when CP might get hurt given his history. The coaching staff has some huge rocks to take a chance with PW as the backup in our games. Talk about a catastrophe should Pennington get injured.

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If CP gets hurt we active Henne. In that case White (depending on when it happens) wont be able to play the rest of the game, but we would be fine.

GISH likes this.
  3. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Is this what we used a high second round draft pick for when EVERYONE but management see's that our safety's and inside LBs
    couldn't cover anyone...but I guess it is more important to have a QB come in for 2-4 plays per game and hand off the ball when Ronnie Brown running the wildcat is head and shoulders above White...

great move management in throwing away another second round pick...every regime seems to do the same

like2god, gunn34 and SCall13 like this.
  4. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

I might be mistaking, but I thought that Henne, being the 3rd QB could only play if both QBs ahead of him go down.

5. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Give the Pat White experiment time. As the season progresses, he will have an increased role.

6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    You can activate the 3rd QB at any time I'm pretty sure, the first two QB just can't play if it's before the 4th quarter.

Even if they had to be hurt, just have Pat White go into the game and OWWW MY ARM on a run play. Pretend.

7. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

You're right. I just remembered that rule. The 3rd QB can play. And, like you said, the other two would be done for the day if that were to happen.

8. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I was expecting a throw deep, the kid does have a gun.

9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I love the amount of plays without any QBs

10. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I couldn't agree more with you SCall13. And, on all counts. I didn't like the Pat White pick on draft day, and I like it even less now. Don't get me wrong...I like the kid. Think he might even have potential. He'd be a good fit...somewhere else. Or, as a project for 2-3 years down the road. But, that's just it...I can't justify the pick with all the needs elsewhere, no matter how much I try. I just can't. I said it before, and I'll say it again...he was a luxury pick that we took way too early.

And, I agree that they're trying to bang a square peg into a round hole. Every time they've brought him in it has screwed up any momentum we had at the time.

I'll give the Pat White experiment time, because I have no choice. But, had I had a voice on draft day, I would said NFW on picking him at #44. Honestly, I think Billicheat bluffed us into taking him as high as we did.

gunn34 likes this.
  11. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    its not so much that White kills the momentum, it's that both times we put him in we ran a draw. A draw that goes for nothing is going to kill a drive every time. When White goes in, we have to let him play football. Yeah, he missed a pass in week 1, but come on, either make him inactive or let him try to make a play. Whats the point in shackling him?

Are we worried about him getting hurt? If we lost pat white for the season, would it really change how we operate? It just doesn't make sense. Run the option, have white run head first into a linebacker. Who cares. as long as we do something other than a draw. As far as im concerned, if your not gonna let him play, don't put him on the field.

The White situation is on coaching, not on him.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Smiley did miss the block on the linebacker on the second draw

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    will take a few games to work him into the wild cat
    he'll be just fine

14. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I've said since the draft that the PW pick was something we couldn't afford to do then. We missed on a good footballer who could of maybe helped us. PW is not helping.

15. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    They're wanting to see what the D alignment is when they throw him in there - if they get what they want, they do another play. Unfortunately, what they were looking for didn't set up so the alternate play was the draw.

Fin D and jetssuck like this.
  16. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I am just to damned angry the way we lost that game, still, to even give a hoot about Pat White.

17. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Well so far they've waste 5 plays with Pat White touching the ball. Let's see how many more they'll need to waste before they can turn him into a single productive offensive play.

18. Agua

Apr 28, 2008
    You saw what they wanted to do, in that instance, vs. the fowl-cones. Likely was a different play, but they had something else in mind if they saw the D set up the way they wanted. What they need to do is work on something as an alternative to the RopeWeed draw when they don't get that set up.

19. jaxdolfan

jaxdolfan Journeyman

Apr 16, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Did you see his face out there? He looked completely lost. His handoff was tentative...

It didn't look good. With a good chance we go 0-3, I think we need to just put him in and install a new package that he can play in.

We cannot beat good teams with Ronnie Brown as QB for 30 plays a game, likewise not with the Pennington dink,dunk, longball incomplete for 30 plays a game.

20. Agua

Apr 28, 2008
    Sure we can. The O wasn't the sole, or even biggest problem last night. We absolutely DOMINATED the Colts. I can remember very, very few (honestly, I can't for certain pick a single game) we had such a commanding TOP and lopsided first down ratio, ever. I'd be pulling a # out of the air if I gave you one, but you lose very, very few games when you control the clock and don't turn it over like that. Unfortunately, some guys on D whose names are spelled Crowder and Wilson couldn't tackle with !@#$. That was the difference in the game.

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    If the defense plays well, yes we can beat good teams with Ronnie Brown as QB for 30 plays a game.

22. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Whatever keeps Penny on the sideline where he belongs, I'm all for it

23. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I expected him to take a little time to grow as a QB, but he was billed as an instant addition to the wildcat who could add new wrinkles and keep defenses on edge, I see none of that. I was against drafting a specialty player in the first place, but a specialty player that can't even excel at the specialty he was brought in for? I'll pass.

Can he still develop? Sure he can, but was a specialty player more important than a player who would be on the field far more than White? Watching our defense last night, I don't think so.

24. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I agree, you don't spend the #44 pick in the draft on situational players unless you're line up is so loaded that you have that luxury. Because that's what those are, "luxury picks".

But.....he's here and there are some things we can do with him.

At first I was like WTH, get him out there and let it rip, this (wildcat type stuff) is what he does......in hindsight I think he's not yet up to speed on making the reads once he gets out there.

Personally I'm more concerned with getting him the ball in space than seeing him throw. He's far more dangerous in the open field than he is throwing a football.

I'd have him returning kicks next week....he has more "potential" to be great at that, than anyone on this team.