1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pat White

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NolePhin, Jan 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    First and foremost I hope he is ok after that hit he took.

I have a couple questions, maybe you guys can help out.

If Pat White ran the spread option or w/e it was called in WVU, why did they not give him that chance here?

Thigpen obviously has more NFL experience, but you see him run that spread on his first completion and it worked well, so just wondering why not at the very least give Pat White that option, he has to be comfortable with it because of his experience in college.

I am somewhat frustrated, getting into an argument with my father, he says Pat White sucks, and my argument is that although he has not shown us that he can pass in the NFL, I really have to insist that he hasn't been given that many opportunities. Someone said he had 6 this entire season or something like that.

I really hope Pat White is fine and comes back to shut some of these people up.

2. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    We've ran the spread option with White on numerous occasions.

3. NolePhin

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    I guess what I meant to say was to give him more of a chance. He couldn't have run the spread on passing attempts "numerous" times when he has only attempted to pass 3 times in the NFL according to nfl.com And I doubt all of his pass attempts were thrown in the spread formation.

http://www.nfl.com/players/patwhite/profile?id=WHI372113

Either way, I think its a bit unfair to say Pat White will not make it as a QB in the NFL after 3 pass attempts or w/e it officially is. We have given Ted Ginn 3 years and he plays WR, can we give a QB at LEAST that much?

4. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    The Pat White at QB experiment has looked nothing short of hideous....I don't even think White could aspire to be as mediocre as Thigpen. I do like him, he's a good kid and hope he has a full recovery.

5. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I think he's had plenty of chances... but, that's just my opinion.

The Dolphins have lined up numerous times in the spread-option formation with Pat White at QB. Whether Pat threw the ball or ran with it... well, that's neither here nor there, if you ask me. I'm not about to guess what his options were. All I know is, he took off running a vast majority of the time, and when he did throw the ball, it didn't look good.

I'm definitely not happy the guy got hurt. I hope he has a speedy recovery. However, he has shown absolutely nothing on the football field this season to warrant all the attention he gets. I can semi-understand people's infatuation with Cam Wake, because Wake is, at least, one-dimensional.

White, so far, is none-dimensional.

This season's experiment with him should have waited... in my opinion... at least one more season. Maybe two.

jetssuck likes this.
  6. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Agreed. I too hope the Pat White experiment is over. I have nothing against him (and, I also hope he is OK), but I hated the pick on draft day, and I have had a hard time coming to terms with it during the season.

Hopefully, the addition of Thigen (even though he was both good and bad today), means the FO looks to add a true QB to the depth chart this off season, and move White to receiver next season.

JMHO...

Larry Little and jetssuck like this.
  7. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    White's only attribute in the NFL is that he's dangerous in space....which translates to move him from QB to WR. At least then you have a chance to not have wasted the pick.

8. NolePhin

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    Thanks for your opinions. I agree he hasn't shown much in terms of being a passing QB. I am not saying he will be a great or even good passing QB, the truth is I really have no idea, and I guess the point I was trying to make was that at the very least I think we need to give him the same amount of time we give any other rookie.

jetssuck likes this.
  9. GoSlash27

GoSlash27 New Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Steeler fan here.

On behalf of Steeler Nation, I'd like to express my concern for Pat White and hopes that he'll be okay for next season. I hate to see a player go out like that.
    :no:
    -Slashy

Puka-head, RGF, RevRick and 6 others like this.
  10. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I was at the game, does anybody have word on White's condition / what the diagnosis was? It happened in front of my seats, hope he is ok. Looked to me like a broken neck, concussion, and bad enough to where I was hoping the poor man isn't paralyzed.

Thanks guys, heres to hoping for a full recovery for him.

11. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not much word I don't think. All I've heard is that they are optimistic on a full recovery. He was moving his hands and feet around too which is a great sign.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  12. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    while watching the game someone asked what are the dolphins gonna do with white
    run the ball every down
    i answered yes
    the steelers are stacking the box
    dolphins are going to get him killed
    then it happened

13. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Thanks brother, hope he does make one soon!

14. GoSlash27

GoSlash27 New Member

Jan 3, 2010
    He's okay. The forum won't let me post the link, but he's okay. *Phew!*

jetssuck likes this.
  15. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Classy post! Thanks. Hope you'll stick around for more football talk with us as time passes.

For those who want more information, see this thread here:

http://forums.thephins.com/showthread.php?t=43205

There's a link to a PFT story about White and his condition, he is doing much better, and has all movement in his arms and legs apparently. :up:

16. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm still of the school of thought that Pat White never should've been selected by Miami, or at the very least, I still question when he was selected. Just looking back at the players selected between 44th overall and 61st (I can't remember what the original pick was, 55th?) where Sean Smith was selected, Miami could've had the following:

Clint Sintim
    Connor Barwin
    Max Unger
    Mohammed Massaquoi
    Andy Levitre
    LeSean McCoy
    Phil Loadholt
    Paul Kruger
    Sebastian Vollmer

...and that's not even all of the players that were drafted, just the ones I'd have preferred.

Now, as for Pat White's current situation, I think that Tyler Thigpen, or even Chad Pennington should be the primary backup in the 2010 season until Pat White either learns to throw (I'd expect to see that a lot in the preseason) or we can move him around a la Isiah Stanback (another Ireland pick in Dallas) to WR, KR, PR, etc. But, I would not want to have a situation where we'd have to rely on Pat White to come in and win a game if Henne got hurt - I think it played out pretty much like I thought it would today. Even if he develops further, I'd still rather have Pennington or Thigpen come in with a game on the line.

As of now, White looks like nothing more than a Wild-cat component - I wish him a speedy recover and I hope that he proves me wrong; but that's what I see right now.

The G Man likes this.
  17. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    some players are great in college & some blossom in the NFL
    White is a tremendous athlete,
    perhaps better suited @ WR in the NFL and/or situational QB
    it is what it is, the NFL

18. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't know why people were expecting Pat White to come out and light the world on fire this year.

It's not uncommon for even heralded, supposedly NFL ready quarterbacks to get little to no passing action their rookie season. Pat White wasn't particularly more likely than any to break the trend.

Further, the injury that made him the #2 QB limited the amount they would put him on the field and contribute to non-traditional packages. Had Chad Pennington played the entire year, there would have been more chances for Pat White to get on the field and get acclimated if he wasn't going to be the guy at a moments notice.

Fact of the matter is, White was effective running the ball when he got a chance. Both of the games he got more than two carries in, he had 5.4 and 7.5 YPC respectively.