1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pats DC Patricia Interviewing for HC

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by Galant, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

2. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    I bet Detroit reels him in

3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    He'd be good for them. Being defensively oriented, he might be inclined to keep their OC Jim Bob Cooter (what a name!) and focus on the defense.

The BB coaching tree is basically a raging bonfire, but Patricia is intriguing - smart dude, experience on both sides of the ball. I feel like he has more potential than has any of the rest of them (including that turd OC McDaniels).

danmarino likes this.
  4. Carmen Cygni

Carmen Cygni Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Um, Nick Saban. Dan Pees was quite successful and O'Brien had Houston's needle moving with his tutelage of Watson.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I don't really care about college success - I am referring more to NFL. Also not sure I would count Saban as a true offshoot of the BB tree anyway. O'Brien hasn't impressed in Texas at all, we will see if Watson can turn that around, but he has been nothing special since then.

6. Carmen Cygni

Dec 30, 2017
    Nick Saban was Belichick's defensive coordinator in Cleveland. The last few years they were there together they developed the most modern pass coverages in the game, that have eventually helped both of them win multiple championships at both levels. How the **** wouldn't Saban be a true branch of Belichick?

7. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I'd say that Saban is a branch from BB's tree. However, he was a failure at the NFL level. You can use hindsight and claim that Cleveland had some sort of defensive juggernaut with Saban as DC, but that's not being honest.

The facts are, Saban was a failure as a head coach in the NFL. Hell, BB was a failure until he started cheating. With Saban as the Browns DC they had average defenses sans one year when they were really good. (14, 11, 17, 1, 20) One out of five isn't really showing me that Saban was great.

Just like the majority of players who leave the cheating environment, so too have coaches not really done anything.

There can be cases made for Ferentz and Saban, but they have only done well (And Ferentz not that well) at the collegiate level.

Magini, Crennel, Weis, McDaniels...they all failed once they left.

8. Carmen Cygni

Dec 30, 2017
    I'll address the resident conspiracy theorist a few more times before diagnosing you permanently, but the importance in the Belichick & Saban relationship on Cleveland had to do with their development of Pattern Match coverage in the offseason after their trip to the playoffs. If you followed along with my original post, you'd realize it never had anything to do with their units performance statistically, so your box score analysis is irrelevant.

9. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    First, you should learn what a conspiracy theory is before trying to make a joke. If I'm not mistaken, and I am not, the Pats have been accused and found guilty of cheating on more than one occasion.

Second, (And part of this reply is to your rants in the "Brady for MVP" thread) nearly every team in the NFL uses pattern match and yet you expect everyone here to believe that only you and Saban and Belicheat know about it? Only you three know how to run it? Only you three know how to beat it? LMAO!!

Last, yes, after they were beaten in the playoffs Saban devised this coverage. So? What's that have to do with anything? You claimed that Saban was of the BB tree. I agreed with you so what are you going on about? The part I agreed with texasphinatic about was Saban being successful only in college. He was a failure in Cleveland. Even AFTER he devised pattern match (20th ranked defense).